Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parents found guilty of mutilating one year daughters genitals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

the father is subject to a deportation order, which is under appeal. They were denied bail pending sentencing, as they are deemed a flight risk...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"here's our perfect little innocent bundle of joy...lets cut bits off it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ah yes, this couple claimed their daughter was injured falling on a toy

Under 3 hours deliberation seems swift to me. The jury saw them as a pair of liers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

We need to send a strong message here with a proper sentence for both parents. Mutilating kids is repugnant and needs to be dealt with harshly.

We need to send a strong message here with a proper sentence for both parents. Mutilating kids is repugnant and needs to be dealt with harshly.

Replying to my own post here...

What are the realistic options here in terms of sentencing? A long custodial one would be fine if not for the fact that there's a child involved. What happens to the child here?

While I like the second proposal of Still Waters, we don't have any such provisions in our legal system. It's custodial or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Replying to my own post here...

What are the realistic options here in terms of sentencing? A long custodial one would be fine if not for the fact that there's a child involved. What happens to the child here?

While I like the second proposal of Still Waters, we don't have any such provisions in our legal system. It's custodial or nothing.

It will be a token sentence that will do nothing to deter other parents with similar values. All it will do is make it less likely they will seek out medical treatment if required.

What really needs to happen is a change to the antiquated belief that makes parents think mutilation of a child's genitals is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sentence the mother and deport him straight away something that should of been done long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I've said it before that non-EU immigrants should be on a 10 year probation period and if they do **** like that, or any violent/sexual crime, they should be deported and disbarred from reentering the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Deportation in this country is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There are 3 children, one is younger than the child in question, and the mother is still feeding it, the judge said the prison governor should be informed of this, so it looks like both will get jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Will the children be taken off them seeing as they took a knife to one of their children

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Journal have turned off comments because they don’t want criticism of the parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Will the children be taken off them seeing as they took a knife to one of their children

And if they are girls was there a welfare check and examination done to make sure they were not hurt as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd like to see them fly...off the cliffs of Moher.

No. Let's not ruin a fantastic natural beauty spot.

Let's use a cannon and fire them,

Into the sun.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We must be culturally aware and submissive to PC at all times now.

Glad they were convicted. Falling on a toy?

ok. Not a fkn chance. Jury did good.

One year suspended is my guess but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Can the mother's citizenship be revoked? Five year suspended sentence, immediate deportation and barred from re-entry please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

The Journal have turned off comments because they don’t want criticism of the parents

Indeed.

Distilled Media owns both The Journal and Boards.

RTÉ haven’t put it on their Facebook either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Crazy thing is this is this appears very 1st conviction of it's kind in Ire (it's been classed as a criminal offence ever since 2012)
    Yet it likely happens by the hundreds, if not thousands each year, to please their particular twisted skygod.

Extract from here circa (2015-6): https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/primarycare/socialinclusion/other-areas/domestic-violence/female-genital-mutilation-fgm/
    Since 2011, there have been about 3,780 women living in Ireland known to have undergone the mutilation.
    The level of FGM continues to increase in Ireland. In Africa 3million girls in are at risk annually.

In 2018, some 'head the ball' said it should be 'made legal' in Ireland.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/female-circumcision-should-be-allowed-by-law-member-of-irelands-islamic-cultural-centre-36585441.html
    The World Health Organisation states that "the procedure has no health benefits for girls and women".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

This should be punishable by a minimum of 15 years in prison at the least, mutilating a young child because you are a dark age **** is not an acceptable excuse :mad:

• Advertisement

Would this set precedence for male circumcision as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Is male circumcision still practiced in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

This should be punishable by a minimum of 15 years in prison at the least, mutilating a young child because you are a dark age **** is not an acceptable excuse :mad:

I've said it before that non-EU immigrants should be on a 10 year probation period and if they do **** like that, or any violent/sexual crime, they should be deported and disbarred from reentering the state.

That's perfectly reasonable. I've lived almost 40 years in this country and no once have I committed any violent crimes or cut any child's genitals off. Maybe I'm just lucky but I think that my experience is shared by most people. It's not hard to avoid doing those things.

There's also no reason that we can't add non-violent offenses like fraud to that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

niallers1 wrote: »

Possibly amongst certain religious communities, or for health reasons. However I would imagine it is done in a hospital setting.

Doesn't compare with FGM in someone's living room though. Ah but she is a female. Forgot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

niallers1 wrote: »

Only in medical necessity, which is extremely rare

I would hope so. Cutting bits off kids isn't cool. With the exception of medical reasons, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

What kind of savage looks at their poor little baby girl and thinks it’s time to take a blade to it ?? This needs a severe sentence to discourage it being established in our new Irish community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

It's only allowed in hospitals afaik

https://www.rte.ie/amp/68368/
    In directing the jury, Judge Kevin Haugh said that they could not bring what he called their white western values to bear when they were deciding this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I know other countries have "tests" that you understand the countries culture.
    As far as I know America have a sort of written/oral test, probably on basic geographic and the legal system.

If another "alien"/non-EU cultured person wants to enter Ireland to claim political/economic asylum they should be made fully aware of, and tested on their understanding of, the law and culture of Ireland. If they're not happy with it, no problem, send them back.

If you want your native culture, stay in your own country.
    Otherwise you have to accept our.... and it's not even "culture", it's basic human rights... Don't carve up your children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement