Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW nav maps

Options
  • 17-11-2019 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

I've recently bought a 162 F30 with the Pro navigation.
    I've no idea when this was last updated (if ever).

Do any of the later maps have any of the following:
    • Eircodes
    • Speed Limits
    • the new parts of the M11

Trying to see if its worth paying for the upgrade. The RTI is something that I did pay for and is good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

I used to keep mine updated. Then realised I never used the bmw nav anyway. Google maps is far easier to use. By the time you’ve an address typed into the bmw nav system you’d be well on the road using google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

I used to keep mine updated. Then realised I never used the bmw nav anyway. Google maps is far easier to use. By the time you’ve an address typed into the bmw nav system you’d be well on the road using google maps

I've given up the smart phone! My mobile texts, calls and that is pretty much it...

I find the RTI quite good, but you need to have a destination entered for it to give advice.

No one has a recent map?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

ezra_ wrote: »
    No one has a recent map?

Tried to update mine about 2 weeks ago and there was a problem with the site. Rang Bmw and they said to try again and I just haven’t had a chance. If I get a chance tomorrow I’ll do it

Just downloading Europe east next 2020-1 now and I’ll install it in the car tomorrow.

Anything in particular you want me to check?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have a 161 F30 and I don't know the answer to any of your questions but I'll check tomorrow for you.

In mu opinion it's not worth paying BMW to do it for you, check out 1 of the many software updaters who'll give you the software at a fraction of the price. I've used https://new.bimmer-tech.net/ a few times and find them great, I find the Office functionality particularily beneficial as you can see texts/emails on the screen rather than being destracted by the phone, it also allows you to connect 2 phones which is priceless to me cause I've a work and personal phone, which I normally just leave in the central console when I'm driving

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

heroics wrote: »
    Just downloading Europe east next 2020-1 now and I’ll install it in the car tomorrow.

Anything in particular you want me to check?

Should it not be the West version??? If you could PM me a link I'll upgrade mine tomorrow to check also

Clareman wrote: »
    I have a 161 F30 and I don't know the answer to any of your questions but I'll check tomorrow for you.

In mu opinion it's not worth paying BMW to do it for you, check out 1 of the many software updaters who'll give you the software at a fraction of the price. I've used https://new.bimmer-tech.net/ a few times and find them great, I find the Office functionality particularily beneficial as you can see texts/emails on the screen rather than being destracted by the phone, it also allows you to connect 2 phones which is priceless to me cause I've a work and personal phone, which I normally just leave in the central console when I'm driving

How much does bimmertech charge?

I have the map packs included until 2020 and it’s 55 per year to extend

Should it not be the West version??? If you could PM me a link I'll upgrade mine tomorrow to check also

Haha doh that will teach me to do it in a hurry.

Yep just downloaded the west one now

I got free lifetime upgrades off them thanks to leaving a favourable review on Facebook on an older car a few years back so it's worth it. I think they charged $199 for the enhanced bluetooth update the last time I did it, about a month later BMW "upgraded" the software which wiped the enhancment but they re-did it for $75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I updated the maps in my 2015 530d earlier tonight to the latest Europe Next 2020-1 West. The map files themselves are available and free if you search the web, however you need a FSC code derived from your car's VIN to decode them during the install. You can buy a lifetime FSC code for your car on the likes of ebay for around €15. With the lifetime FSC code you will only be asked for the FSC code the first time you update the maps, any subsequent map updates on that car going forward will not ask for the FSC code again.

Just discovered that I've free map updates until tne end of 2020 anyway so that "lifetime" update isn't much use to me :):) Just have to get to a windows pc now to get the upgrade

Completely lazy i know but i just remote desktop connected to a server to check the update, its over 14 gigs in size, jaysus. I presume its ok to update while driving, I've to head to Dublin tomorrow so I'll kick it off before i leave and have it done by the time I get there

And i got an automated email with my activation code, as software delivery goes this is a decent service

And i got an automated email with my activation code, as software delivery goes this is a decent service

Yep I downloaded it to a USB key and it was 20gb. Plugged the usb into the car and a few mins later got a message on the screen asking did I want to update the map. Then Just happened in the background. Was pretty seemless tbh

It’s actually 26.57GB unzipped on the usb key

Thanks guys.

Does the new map have eircode or speed limits present?

ezra_ wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Does the new map have eircode or speed limits present?

I couldn’t find how to search by eircode anyway

Didn’t check for speed limits although my wife’s 172 x1 has the speed limits pop up on the display. Not sure if sat nav or road sign recognition

What version of the iDrive infotainment system does the car have? A 2016 F30 probably has version 5 which wouldn't support Eircodes in the navigation. Speed limit display has nothing to do with the navigation maps but more to do with the features available in the car's iDrive system. I think that feature was an optional extra on the car from the factory when new but wouldn't be a standard feature.

bazz26 wrote: »
    What version of the iDrive infotainment system does the car have? A 2016 F30 probably has version 5 which wouldn't support Eircodes in the navigation. Speed limit display has nothing to do with the navigation maps but more to do with the features available in the car's iDrive system. I think that feature was an optional extra on the car from the factory when new but wouldn't be a standard feature.

Not sure of the versions but
    I’ve a 2017 f11 with the wide screen nav

Wife has a 2017 x1 with the standard nav

version 5 has menus on the home screen whereas the newer version 6 would have icons.

• Advertisement

I think I have:
    NBT EVO (NBT2)

That's version 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I updated the maps in my 2015 530d earlier tonight to the latest Europe Next 2020-1 West. The map files themselves are available and free if you search the web, however you need a FSC code derived from your car's VIN to decode them during the install. You can buy a lifetime FSC code for your car on the likes of ebay for around €15. With the lifetime FSC code you will only be asked for the FSC code the first time you update the maps, any subsequent map updates on that car going forward will not ask for the FSC code again.

Did the map update immediately bazz once it downloaded or did it take awhile? I updated the same, 2020-1 but there is no detail when you zoom in. It's only showing motorways and N roads. Weird.

There doesn't seem to be eircodes or speed limits in the latest version I got :(

Wailin wrote: »
    Did the map update immediately bazz once it downloaded or did it take awhile? I updated the same, 2020-1 but there is no detail when you zoom in. It's only showing motorways and N roads. Weird.

I downloaded the maps via the web rather than getting them via BMW. Maps took about 30 mins to download and then the iDrive rebooted after the installation. Just make sure you downloaded the correct version of maps for your car.
    There doesn't seem to be eircodes or speed limits in the latest version I got :(

I don't think those functions will work if your car's version of iDrive doesn't support it.

I downloaded the maps via the web rather than getting them via BMW. Maps took about 30 mins to download and then the iDrive rebooted after the installation. Just make sure you downloaded the correct version of maps for your car.

Yeah I downloaded them from bimmertech. They provided the FSC code too. Put them on a formatted 64GB usb and it took about 45min to update. Restarted the I-drive and it states the map version is the 2020-1 so it's correct. But it's not showing any detail. I'll contact bimmertech and see what they think.

Yeah I downloaded them from bimmertech. They provided the FSC code too. Put them on a formatted 64GB usb and it took about 45min to update. Restarted the I-drive and it states the map version is the 2020-1 so it's correct. But it's not showing any detail. I'll contact bimmertech and see what they think.

Yeah, I'd say there might be something wrong with the files or they gave you the wrong version, worth a try updating the maps again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I searched for eircodes in the BMW phine app and then sent the destination to the car.

Yeah, I'd say there might be something wrong with the files or they gave you the wrong version, worth a try updating the maps again.

Nope, I'm just an idiot! They gave me the files for both Europe East and West, and yep, I downloaded East.

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm just an idiot! They gave me the files for both Europe East and West, and yep, I downloaded East.

Ha I did the same

Advertisement