Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Anybody entering race at this late stage is only doing it for publicity purposes, nothing more as they have zero chance of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jesus effing Christ

Just to be clear

Progressives voters would have already made up their mind on Patrick not being for them.

So later on when you hear people complaining about Democrats wanting "a pure" "whiter than white" don't start thinking its those pesky progressives. That problem it within your fellow moderates!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rossie1977 wrote:
    Anybody entering race at this late stage is only doing it for publicity purposes, nothing more as they have zero chance of winning.
    The candidates already in the race are no hopers as far as being elected president is concerned, I'm talking about Biden, Warren and Sanders.
    Patrick is a far better candidate than any of them. This stuff can all be spun positively for him too. He didn't enter the race initially to prevent his family being exposed like this. He gets the OK from his sister to go for it and enters. Wouldn't you protect your nieces and nephews? Wouldn't you try and help to prevent them from being talked about in the media?
    I think this all blows over pretty quickly.
    If he can prove that the Republicans are behind all this being exposed in the press it's massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You’d wonder why Biden has been consistently ahead in all the polls so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

eagle eye wrote: »
    The candidates already in the race are no hopers as far as being elected president is concerned, I'm talking about Biden, Warren and Sanders.
    Patrick is a far better candidate than any of them. This stuff can all be spun positively for him too. He didn't enter the race initially to prevent his family being exposed like this. He gets the OK from his sister to go for it and enters. Wouldn't you protect your nieces and nephews? Wouldn't you try and help to prevent them from being talked about in the media?
    I think this all blows over pretty quickly.
    If he can prove that the Republicans are behind all this being exposed in the press it's massive.

If he was really interested in protecting them he would have pulled out of politics altogether, he’s shown his willingness to value his political ambitions more than his family several times. It’s electing egomaniacs like this guy that has American politics fcuk Ed. “Oooh my poor sister and her kids” come off it mate he knew this would happen and he went into politics anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

rossie1977 wrote: »

Lot of it but the field of current nominees is so bland and jaded one could be forgiven for thinking an opening to storm it might come up.

Too late though.

MadYaker wrote: »

4 legged donkey beating 3 legged horses.

MadYaker wrote:
    He's ahead because the average American pays little heed to things until close to a presidential election. As soon as they see him looking like he is in the early throws of dementia they won't vote for him. Not many will change to Trump but lots won't vote.

eagle eye wrote: »

Well I am talking Dem race specifically not Presidential race and saying Warren/Biden/Sanders have no chance is strange given polls certainly don't show that.

Trump's popularity has nosedived across many states since early 2017. He is now massively underwater in rust belt and losing ground in places he should be strong ie Georgia, North Carolina, Nebraska, Utah and Texas.

2020 is going to be close election regardless which of the three Dems win nomination.
    Patrick is a far better candidate than any of them.

Based on what though? Has he more experience than the three leading Dem candidates, clearly not.

Even if he was greatest candidate in history entering this late is completely futile. Most voters will have already made their mind up and donors will already have picked their candidate.

Bloomberg and Patrick aren't entering race in late November because they intend to win this thing or become next President.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Bloomberg is no fool, if he's getting in its because he sees a path to victory. He said a couple if months back that he couldn't see a way to win, he has spent a fortune on focus groups and research and now obviously sees a way to victory so I'll be watching with interest.

Mayor Pete star is steadily on the rise too and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the VP candidate at this stage.

If he could change the conception around him among likely black voters it could be even better, but we shall see.

I'd wager Patrick is deemed a good candidate by EE due to his age profile as much as anything else but personally I don't see him making much of an impact. I think wall Street is getting concerned about biden getting stained by this impeachment and hedging bets but they will go with another candidate if push comes to shove, like Bloomberg even for example.

Bloomberg is actually a good candidate tbf to him and has experience running the largest city in the US. Not that experience seems to matter at all these days. He will need to garner some of the more left side of the party though to get the nomination so I'm interested to see how he does that, besides making the advertising cost so expensive other campaigns start to collapse under the pressure to keep up

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It again would leave a sour taste, and make them reluctant voters, if Warren/Sanders supporters who only use small donations and reject corporate financing, to be overrun by simply a wealthy man, basically buying the nomination.

Giuliani was mayor of NYC, that in itself won't win you or even get you close to nomination.

Trump was higher profile candidate than Bloomberg but it took him months to convince Republican voters he was legit.

It's Christmas soon so people won't be thinking politics and then primaries start on February 3rd, simply no time to build a serious candidacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Bloomberg has not got the charisma that Trump has either which is hugely important. Trump gained serious momentum battering other Republicans in the debate, however I see Sanders and Warren and even the so called moderates battering Bloomberg.

Also Pete gaining momentum but as always struggling with black voters and this really really won't help.
    :eek::eek:

https://twitter.com/RachelRGonzalez/status/1195766370010464256

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You may need to log in to view but WaPo has an interactive questionnaire to help people figure out which Democrat might align best with your preference based on 10 Q's

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/quiz-which-candidate-agrees-with-me/

(I had a null set :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Overheal wrote: »
    You may need to log in to view but WaPo has an interactive questionnaire to help people figure out which Democrat might align best with your preference based on 10 Q's

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/quiz-which-candidate-agrees-with-me/

Buttigieg, Yang and Steyer (who?) apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Biden, Buttigieg and whoever Klobuchar is.

Biden would be my vote if I had one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Amid the impeachment process, it's easy to forget there's yet another Democrat debate tonight; thanks to the late entries we're still looking at a double digit number of candidates so doubtless the debate will remain as inert as before. Presumably there'll be questions on impeaching Trump, that's a given.

Vermont senator Bernie Sanders, by contrast, warned that the party must not become “consumed” by Trump and the impeachment inquiry or risk losing the election to him again in November 2020..

Bernie gets the situation.

Biden a bit weak at times, no one stood out from what I saw of it.

6 already lined up for next debate in December.

Klobuchar included ffs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, I saw Sanders' comments and he's right on the money; if the winner focuses on Trump, Trump, Trump the Democrats are simply going to struggle. As he says, the Impeachment process is being handled by Congress - as it should be - and the candidates should leave it to that branch of government to pursue. Of course, whether the media allowed these candidates to ignore it is another matter; it's easy to be derailed when XYZ is asking constant questions on Trump.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes, I saw Sanders' comments and he's right on the money; if the winner focuses on Trump, Trump, Trump the Democrats are simply going to struggle. As he says, the Impeachment process is being handled by Congress - as it should be - and the candidates should leave it to that branch of government to pursue. Of course, whether the media allowed these candidates to ignore it is another matter; it's easy to be derailed when XYZ is asking constant questions on Trump.

It is but the Democrats and the candidates would do that, if the media didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »

Nice find.

Biden (6), Yang (5) , Klochubar (4). Yang sortof surprises me, but only because I haven't paid him any attention.

Bottom three, Harris (1) Sanders (1), Warren, (0). I thought Warren was supposed to be less 'extreme'?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm with Klobuchar on 7, Biden and Mayor Pete on 6. I'd happily row in behind a Klobuchar candidacy if she wasn't regarded as one of the most personally obnoxious people in Congress. And she won't have the wonga to go much further.

Speaking of which, Michael Bloomberg has now thrown down. He may have the cash to out-Trump Trump in any campaign but, and it is a stark reality, a wealthy New York Jew will be a hard sell for votes in most of the USA - for any or all of those 3 reasons, and probably more. He is also an old man.

At this moment, I cannot identify a frontrunner, and that fact must be horrifying Democrats at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is an advantage for the Dems in Trump not being to identify a single candidate, this far out. He thought it was Biden and look what he has tried there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Water John wrote: »
    There is an advantage for the Dems in Trump not being to identify a single candidate, this far out. He thought it was Biden and look what he has tried there.

Might be giving them too much credit, but could that be the plan?

I know Biden is the most well known but in real terms I hope Bernie gets the nomination. Realistically, it'll probably be warren which means an entire year of trump doing stupid Pocahontas jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nice find.

Biden (6), Yang (5) , Klochubar (4). Yang sortof surprises me, but only because I haven't paid him any attention.

Bottom three, Harris (1) Sanders (1), Warren, (0). I thought Warren was supposed to be less 'extreme'?
    I have 5 with biden!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd love if it was Harris, let Trump try to help himself from a racist trope on twitter then.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'd love if it was Harris, let Trump try to help himself from a racist trope on twitter then.

Trump would love Harris as well.

Water John wrote: »

Something in that, more to do with the electorate than Trump I think.

Maybe trying to make it a rollercoaster campaign and try not have the publ8c bored or freaked out by the candidate by Nov next year.

Its risky, especially in terms of fund raising where the Dems are getting hammered by the republicans and Trump.

Larbre34 wrote:
    He wouldn't have to go there. He'd just paint her as a whore based on her relationship with Willie Brown.

• Advertisement

Trump's polling at his lowest level on Rasmussen for months currently. It's not that long ago he was 50%+ on there now 43-44%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement