Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Very enjoyable result last night. The media were all ready to talk about how Mack dominated the Raiders and it didnt happen!! Lots of room to improve but the great thing about last night was watching how fired up the players were. And whilst we are nowhere near challenging for playoffs, its nice to see us go to 3-2 into the bye week, especially with all the controversies that have surrounded us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭eire4

Very enjoyable result last night. The media were all ready to talk about how Mack dominated the Raiders and it didnt happen!! Lots of room to improve but the great thing about last night was watching how fired up the players were. And whilst we are nowhere near challenging for playoffs, its nice to see us go to 3-2 into the bye week, especially with all the controversies that have surrounded us.

I have said a few times already that it is clear the team has improved quite a bit from last season. Probably not enough to challenge for a play off spot but clear improvement nonetheless and considering the Raiders have Chicago's first round draft pick for next season the win helped in that regard a little bit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kev8360

eire4 wrote: »
    I have said a few times already that it is clear the team has improved quite a bit from last season. Probably not enough to challenge for a play off spot but clear improvement nonetheless and considering the Raiders have Chicago's first round draft pick for next season the win helped in that regard a little bit as well.

yep defence is much improved - starting to generate some pass rush and we are much harder to run on this year so far.

That first half of football was one of the best halves I've seen the Raiders play in a long time.

That first half of football was one of the best halves I've seen the Raiders play in a long time.

Yes if it wasn't for that crazy fumble in the third the game would have been a walk in the park most likely. But in the end the fact then that Carr was able to lead a fourth quarter come from behind win was a very positive sign that there is a stronger backbone to the team as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭golfball37

97 yard drive to win it after blowing a 17 point lead was very encouraging also.

That bye week was very good to us. we get Gabe Jackson back and the Chiefs and Chargers both lose. There's part of me cant wait for the next match and there's part of me that is dreading it. Will Rodgers carve us up or will Jones go off on one? Will our Offense continue to score?

That bye week was very good to us. we get Gabe Jackson back and the Chiefs and Chargers both lose. There's part of me cant wait for the next match and there's part of me that is dreading it. Will Rodgers carve us up or will Jones go off on one? Will our Offense continue to score?

Given the Packers played Monday so have a day less to rest and prepare that helps. But to my mind all that it will do is make the game more competitive. But still cannot see anything other then a Packers win next weekend.

eire4 wrote: »
    Given the Packers played Monday so have a day less to rest and prepare that helps. But to my mind all that it will do is make the game more competitive. But still cannot see anything other then a Packers win next weekend.
    And so it proved Eire4! :D

And so it proved Eire4! :D

Yes sometimes it sucks being right but there was just no way I could see for the Raiders to win away against the Packers. I think it will be a split in the next 2 games as well losing next weekend and winning the weekend after to finish 4-4 for the half way mark which to my mind is about right. I feel the team has made solid progress from last year but is still a long way from being a team that can contend and hence is probably a 500 or thereabouts team right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

RIP Willie Brown - one of the all time NFL and Raider greats

Even though we lost against the Texans there were positives , Josh Jacobs continues to impress and Renfrew got a nice TD. with that away stretch done it is good to have 3 back to back home games even though one is a Thursday night game against the chargers.

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Even though we lost against the Texans there were positives , Josh Jacobs continues to impress and Renfrew got a nice TD. with that away stretch done it is good to have 3 back to back home games even though one is a Thursday night game against the chargers.
    I agree Kev, we might have lost Sunday's game, but we were in it right up to the death, the Defense cost us the game but the Offense looked really good for most of the game. Its great that we will be back in Oakland for the next few games. I said at the start of the year that I would settle for being competitive in games this year and its already surpassed my expectations. The one thing that is annoying me is that we are never more than one week away from Raiders fans calling for Carr's head......hes the best QB we have had since Rich Gannon, why the hell would you want to replace him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I agree Kev, we might have lost Sunday's game, but we were in it right up to the death, the Defense cost us the game but the Offense looked really good for most of the game. Its great that we will be back in Oakland for the next few games. I said at the start of the year that I would settle for being competitive in games this year and its already surpassed my expectations. The one thing that is annoying me is that we are never more than one week away from Raiders fans calling for Carr's head......hes the best QB we have had since Rich Gannon, why the hell would you want to replace him?

Agree completely RE Carr.

It would be different if we had a top D and the QB was holding us back but the fact is that there are far weaker spots on both sides of the ball than QB

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Agree completely RE Carr.

It would be different if we had a top D and the QB was holding us back but the fact is that there are far weaker spots on both sides of the ball than QB

100% - our defense is still a work in progress. Doesn't help that we have lost a lot of the starters at LB and secondary since week 1.

I am in total agreement with you on Carr. Sure he is not in the elite QB category in the league but he is tucked in just behind that. He is getting help this year from Jacobs and a good running game. But the receiving core while better then last year is still far from a quality one so for me he is actually overall one of the teams strengths. The receiving core is still crying out for a true top quality WR and the defense while a bit better then last year still has a long ways to go. In short the Raiders have way more issues to address in the next draft then at QB.

That was a good win against a dangerous team. Stafford played really well and he could have forced overtime at the end only for a few big plays from the defense.

I thought Carr again played very well - made an impressive play to scoop the ball and throw it away back to line of scrimmage late on from a bad snap that could have gone all kinds of wrong.

Also good to see Renfrew get another td this week - did a great job of getting open in the end zone.

Chargers this week will be tough - looks like they are turning things around after a bad start to the season. The packers couldn’t get anything going against them.

That was a good win against a dangerous team. Stafford played really well and he could have forced overtime at the end only for a few big plays from the defense.

I thought Carr again played very well - made an impressive play to scoop the ball and throw it away back to line of scrimmage late on from a bad snap that could have gone all kinds of wrong.

Also good to see Renfrew get another td this week - did a great job of getting open in the end zone.

Chargers this week will be tough - looks like they are turning things around after a bad start to the season. The packers couldn’t get anything going against them.
    Hi Kev, I agree with your analysis! It was definitely a good win against a team that could have gone to town on us. Carr played well and has played well most of the season - despite constant changes to the WR and OL slots on the team. Renfrow is starting to make a name for himself, despite a quiet start. A search on Twitter this morning had one user compare him to Wes Welker! Now, he's got some way to go before he's spoken of in those terms but he appears to be settling in and its good to see the receiving corps pulling its weight.
    Jacobs is a beast and he is behind a beast of a line. Its great to see that the rushing game has established itself and is now respected. Takes the pressure off Carr.

Was it Gruden himself that called the time out right at the end? What was he thinking??? ;)

Was it Gruden himself that called the time out right at the end? What was he thinking??? ;)

That was mad alright ! A huge risk to take but I guess it worked out. Hope we don’t get into that situation again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

WHHOOOO!! jumped out of bed when I saw the result this morning, Rivers had an awful long night out there with the defence flying all over, bar the costly flags. Great to see the ball getting spread around so much too and ingold getting in for one after all his support work with Jacobs.

• Advertisement

Yes really great to get a home division win on a short week.

The o-line is a real strength again. That chargers front is really good and was great to see us able to move the ball at the end of the game.

Defense came up big as well to kill off any hopes of a last minute comeback - they are ranked low but at home they have been playing well and keeping us in games (with the exception of that 2nd quarter vs KC).

Is it presumptious to dream about the next 2 weeks????? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

It does look like there is a chance of a winning season this year looking at the upcoming games, possibly even a wildcard spot. However Karl Joseph has just gone on IR, he'll be a big miss on D, love watching him play and his "hulk smash" mentality :)

This week is just getting better. Way to go Tennessee!!!

This week is just getting better. Way to go Tennessee!!!

I was at the wembley game in 14, Tannehill destroyed us, always thought he was good player. Tonight I love him anyway!

Oh man I watched that game through my fingers! Joe Mixon was giving us a tonne of problems in the first half - I was surprised they didn’t stay with him more late on. Good to get the win but will be a tough task going to New York next week to the jets.

Even still if you had told me at this stage of the season we would be level with the chiefs at the top of the division I would have taken it no questions

Excellent game from Max Crosby - 4 sacks and a forced fumble.

Carr was hot last night. Would love to see his passer rating? First incompletion was Wallers drop in the end zone which was his 15th pass attempt !

golfball37 wrote: »
    Carr was hot last night. Would love to see his passer rating? First incompletion was Wallers drop in the end zone which was his 15th pass attempt !

He had a passer rating of 105.7 which is a very good performance (perfect rating is 158.3) - the calculation is convoluted but the INT and only 1 TD drag it down a bit I think.

Well that was a really bad display by the offense! Worst possible preparation for Kansas City next week.

• Advertisement

Well that was a really bad display by the offense! Worst possible preparation for Kansas City next week.

That is putting it mildly. Think it will be back to 500 at 6-6 after another heavy defeat next week. Really disappointing given a win would really have put the Raiders in the hunt for a wild card spot but the reality is probably what I felt at the start of the season that yes there was clear improvement but still no where enough to actually challenge as a legit playoff team yet.

Advertisement