Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champions Cup 2019/20 - Round 2

• 20-11-2019 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭

Fri 22
    Ulster v Clermont

Sat 23 Nov. 2019
    Saracens v Ospreys
    Benetton v Northampton
    Toulouse v Connacht
    Lyon v Leinster
    Exeter v Glasgow
    Munster v Racing
    Harlequins v Bath

Sun 24 Nov. 2019
    Sale v La Rochelle
    Montpellier v Gloucester

Some huge fixtures this week, going to go for
    Clermont
    Sarries
    Benetton
    Toulouse
    Leinster
    Exeter
    Racing
    Harlequins
    Sale
    Montpellier

Big week for Saracens and their team selection could still be mixed if they decide to chuck Europe. TBP point win essential. An intriguing game in store.

Ulster v Clermont the pick of the weekend for me. Cracking way to start the weekend

If Connacht get anything out of Toulouse it will be a great result.

Comments

It's a great weekend of rugby. Lots of important fixtures.

Given the advantage of a home quarter / semi I think anything less than a win for Ulster or Munster really reduces their chances of winning the whole thing.

Similarly for Leinster and Connacht but as they're away they can afford a slip up and still make the top 2.

I think Sarries will throw the pool as much as possible. They are in a relegation battle, the last thing they'll want is additional games. At best they'll use it for player development.

If Leinster win in Lyon and Northampton lose in Italy then I think we've the pool sown up.

Lots of quality line ups. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It's a great weekend of rugby. Lots of important fixtures.

Given the advantage of a home quarter / semi I think anything less than a win for Ulster or Munster really reduces their chances of winning the whole thing.

Similarly for Leinster and Connacht but as they're away they can afford a slip up and still make the top 2.

I think Sarries will throw the pool as much as possible. They are in a relegation battle, the last thing they'll want is additional games. At best they'll use it for player development.

If Leinster win in Lyon and Northampton lose in Italy then I think we've the pool sown up.

Lots of quality line ups. Can't wait.

Think Sarries have got lucky with fixtures. A TBP opportunity v Ospreys is far more agreeable then a game v Munster right now.

They likely would have lost away to R92 anyway. So TBP v Ospreys and then go for it v Munster x2. They can basically give it 2 games full tilt and if out of the running then focus on GP.

3 euro games and 1 GP game (Bath away) in next 4 weeks. They need to give England players gametime to get them upto speed too. Can see them making the call on Europe after Munster x 2. If Munster can trade out of that 6-5 points wise (or better) then Sarries are done

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Think Sarries have got lucky with fixtures. A TBP opportunity v Ospreys is far more agreeable then a game v Munster right now.

They likely would have lost away to R92 anyway. So TBP v Ospreys and then go for it v Munster x2. They can basically give it 2 games full tilt and if out of the running then focus on GP.

3 euro games and 1 GP game (Bath away) in next 4 weeks. They need to give England players gametime to get them upto speed too. Can see them making the call on Europe after Munster x 2. If Munster can trade out of that 6-5 points wise (or better) then Sarries are done

I think Sarries will put reasonably strong teams out at home and send the kids on the road.

Relegation is a genuinely serious risk, every fixture is a proper battle from now until the end of the season. I can't see any situation where they'll want to have to play a quarter / semi / final especially as such a chunk of their team is already recovering from a world cup.

Sarries right now will be hoping that they don't start losing some of their big names, they'll want to be out of relegation risk as soon as is humanly possible as the risk of demotion will impact their recruitment.

Best case scenario, they hold onto most of their names - manage to stay in the Prem and fight their way back into Europe season after next.

Munster & Racing the big beneficiaries of this ruling from a Heineken cup perspective, but it also means that top 2 is more open generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Harlequins vs Bath, Sale vs La Rochelle and Montpellier vs Gloucester all must win games for each side. Defeat would surely put a realistic end to qualifying from their respective pools. Anyone think Benetton could turn over Northampton at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Benetton could turn over Northampton at home?

I think they will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Harlequins vs Bath, Sale vs La Rochelle and Montpellier vs Gloucester all must win games for each side. Defeat would surely put a realistic end to qualifying from their respective pools. Anyone think Benetton could turn over Northampton at home?

Just looking at the Northampton fans forum and they are saying that they should rest a few players against Benetton. I dont think they realise what a tough match it will be. I think if they underestimate Benetton they may be in for a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Cooney has butchered that

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Scrappy as hell here. Awful so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A single carry for Clermont in the first 12 minutes is an insane stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Jesus Ferris is hard to listen to!

• Advertisement

Addison was criminally slow there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great from Raka, but Ulster's defending was shocking. Stockdale just fell off him. He's lucky that wasn't a try as it was a crap attempt.

Ludik and Addison were awful there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Got away with that one. Haven’t been too impressed with Ludik. Addison a bit hit and miss so far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Clegg wrote: »
    Great from Raka, but Ulster's defending was shocking. Stockdale just fell off him. He's lucky that wasn't a try as it was a crap attempt.

Ludik and Addison were awful there too.
    Pretty sure Stockdale pulled out of that, otherwise he would have been penalised for taken someone without the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ferris is tough to listen to, should really be sitting in the stands with the rest of the fans.

Addison could be in trouble. Poor technique didn’t even look at the tackle.

Very lucky bloke Addison

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Why not have a look at that. Strange to say the least

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

TMO has got that one very wrong there I think.

Ugo Monye has to be one of the worst in the business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Ugo Monye has to be one of the worst in the business

Up there with both Ferris and JP Doyle on tonight's performance.

Three crooked throws by Ulster without a peep then he penalises Clermont for one when the crowd tells him to. Makes Jaco Peyper look competent.

Marcel Coetzee is the best 8 in European rugby? Behave yourself, Ferris.

To miss touch once is awful, to do it twice is inexcusable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭testtech05

To miss touch once is awful, to do it twice is inexcusable

Was it Cooney both times??

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

this is a dreadful game of rugby, error after error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭testtech05

Chris871 wrote: »
    this is a dreadful game of rugby, error after error.

Conditions are very bad but some of the errors are unforgivable stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

testtech05 wrote: »
    Conditions are very bad but some of the errors are unforgivable stuff

Yeah handling wise, but three missed touches between them is awful stuff too

Bit of an awkward shoehorning in of Nevin Spence there by the comms.

I thaught if a penalty try is awarded a card has to be given? He also gave Ulster a final warning.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Bit of an awkward shoehorning in of Nevin Spence there by the comms.

Ferris sounded a bit uncomfortable about it in fairness to him, was a strange thing to throw in by Eykyn considering it was just out of the blue.

Advertisement