Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

No he's calling to question attitude which I agree was the reason we lost that game

Exactly. unfortunately Powerhouse reads it differently.
    I was merely pointing out what a Limerick squad player should aspire to, ie becoming a TJ Reid (some tough task) rather than acting like a thug on a New York sidewalk after midnight. TJ is 32 now and could easily walked away 2/3 years ago with an unblemished career. Yet he chose to drive on and push the boat out even further. Look how he has performed since the exodus of Shefflin,Power Larkin etc.
    Our 'boxer' was an unused sup for most of the 2018 AI winning campaign, just as he was in this years campaign. Is he happy to be number 25 on the panel for the rest of his career and be present for the craic and the free holidays.?
    He's not alone in this aspect either BTW.
    I was as disappointed as anyone with our loss to the Cats in July,having proudly followed the boys in Green all my life but people slating officials for it annoys me. Granted they did make a very bad call at the end, but it was in the first 20 mins of the game where we could'nt match their attitude and intensity that cost us.
    Players on the periphery need to do what it takes to make the step-up.
    They must be breathing down the necks of the first 15 and show an attitude and desire to be picked. Just look at Dowling's attitude anytime he came on the pitch this year and last. He's clearly not there to make up the numbers and has stated it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Grats

washman3, a lot of truth in what you posted. Regarding the Limerick v Kilkenny match - had Kilkenny lost I'm sure the officials would have been blamed too. The penalty award was suspect and how so many officials couldn't see Gillane stepping inside the line before striking the ball is beyond me. Whatever about the lineball requiring video evidence, the penalty issues certainly doesn't, if officials were competent . Similarly, Joey Holden was clearly fouled twice in the build up to the lineball incident and again the officials were found wanting.

On the indiscipline issue - every county encounters similar issues. It's how such things are dealt with is what matters. And hopefully the players, all of them, learn from it. John Kiely has to be strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Grats wrote: »
    washman3, a lot of truth in what you posted. Regarding the Limerick v Kilkenny match - had Kilkenny lost I'm sure the officials would have been blamed too. The penalty award was suspect and how so many officials couldn't see Gillane stepping inside the line before striking the ball is beyond me. Whatever about the lineball requiring video evidence, the penalty issues certainly doesn't, if officials were competent . Similarly, Joey Holden was clearly fouled twice in the build up to the lineball incident and again the officials were found wanting.

On the indiscipline issue - every county encounters similar issues. It's how such things are dealt with is what matters. And hopefully the players, all of them, learn from it. John Kiely has to be strong.

Very different situations, those two incidents you highlighted are matters of opinion while its an undeliable fact that the ball went off a kilkenny hurley and out for a 65.

Anyway thats water under the bridge, there will have to a reset of the panel or we'll end up with a Clare 2014-17 situation, the holiday sent all the wrong messages that these lads are above every other hurler in the county. If a few high profile players have to spend a year outside the panel then so be it, or else we'll be back to the bad old days of players running the show and acting the maggot with impunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

No he's calling to question attitude which I agree was the reason we lost that game

I can't comment on Limerick's attitude to be honest. They had the upper hand for a lot of that game so it didn't seem too bad to me. But I wasn't in their dressing room so don't know. It's easy but lazy to retrospectively attribute a certain attitude to them now which fits nicely into the narrative that they are basically scumbags and Kilkenny are far morally superior especially "TJ".

I take the more immediately obvious view that Limerick were victims of a bad call. You can be assured that if the boot was on the other foot Kilkenny would have no doubt about the difference between the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

So what's going to happen, are Limerick going to let their marquee forward off the hook and throw the book at the 2 subs like Derby did with Richard Keogh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Word breaking of another hurler being involved in a fight a few weeks ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Word breaking of another hurler being involved in a fight a few weeks ago....

Would that be another key forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Would that be another key forward?
    If there isn't footage of it , it didn't happen.
    Let's not make the mistake of branding the whole team as uncontrollable maniacs just because of one incident & hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

Doesn't sound like that's the only thing going on in the camp, I've heard they cancelled the awards night on Friday over that and now a further incident outside the icon night club recently 😮
    And so the drama continues...

If there isn't footage of it , it didn't happen.
    Let's not make the mistake of branding the whole team as uncontrollable maniacs just because of one incident & hearsay.

Pub across the road seemingly didn't delete or lose footage and gave it into the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Pub across the road seemingly didn't delete or lose footage and gave it into the guards.

Then we can hear about it in the courts. Otherwise it didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

To try and change the topic, is there any players people think will be drafted into the panel for the league ? Or any players they'd like to see drafted in?

To try and change the topic, is there any players people think will be drafted into the panel for the league ? Or any players they'd like to see drafted in?

I'd love to see Boylan get more championship games this yr, thought he had a great league last year.

I'd love to see Boylan get more championship games this yr, thought he had a great league last year.

Yeah he had a very good league, I know he's younger brother got injured last year when he was on the panel for the league, anyone know if he's back from injury ? Looked a good prospect for corner back. I thought Kevin O Brien was impressive throughout the club championship along with Considine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Kevin Palmer at FF? And Paudie leahy at midfield could be vacancies in those 2 lines given recent events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Doesn't sound like that's the only thing going on in the camp, I've heard they cancelled the awards night on Friday over that and now a further incident outside the icon night club recently 😮
    And so the drama continues...

Pictures doing the rounds in Tipp today of the face of the alleged victim.wonder will a video of a limerick panel member burning a Tipp jersey surface too.but hey their great lads since they didn't take Liam McCarthy to pubs.thank god they didn't.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Pictures doing the rounds in Tipp today of the face of the alleged victim.wonder will a video of a limerick panel member burning a Tipp jersey surface too.but hey their great lads since they didn't take Liam McCarthy to pubs.thank god they didn't.

That member has already been kicked off the panel.

Then we can hear about it in the courts. Otherwise it didn't happen

Pretty much, if it had happened as described it would have come before the District Court by now. An astonishing amount of people are willing to tarnish young lads reputations with zero proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ewan mckenna is tweeting about it now. Big decisions for John Kiely going into next year. Will be interesting to see what comes out of the CAB investigation.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Good luck to Paul browne, glad he picked up an all Ireland shame for him personally that he was injured for most of 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Ewan mckenna is tweeting about it now. Big decisions for John Kiely going into next year. Will be interesting to see what comes out of the CAB investigation.

Ewan MacKenna is a **** stirrer of the highest order. Everything he pens is negative. Give him a wide berth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Pretty much, if it had happened as describe it would have come before the District Court by now. An astonishing amount of people are willing to tarnish young lads reputations with zero proof.

The wheels of justice often move slowly. Dont assume this one is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Mr Kiely will be some man to turn this show around.
    Kiely needs to drop all the lads in trouble.. Ryan ,Murphy and Gillane,Hayes. Limerick hurling is bigger than those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

An astonishing amount of people are willing to tarnish young lads reputations with zero proof.

Nothing new there. The amount of stuff that was made up about some Tipperary hurlers (just one example since they were mentioned earlier in this thread) in recent years and treated as Gospel on boards like this was insane. I'm sure you called out that at the time too and pointed out the burden of proof. Or maybe not.

Anyway, it is Limerick's turn now to have to suck it up. Some counties are excellent at keeping such stuff in-house and amazingly keep even supporters on-message but others seem to enthrall gossip merchants. Looks like Limerick are firmly in the latter category.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Nothing new there. The amount of stuff that was made up about some Tipperary hurlers (just one example since they were mentioned earlier in this thread) in recent years and treated as Gospel on boards like this was insane. I'm sure you called out that at the time too and pointed out the burden of proof. Or maybe not.

Anyway, it is Limerick's turn now to have to suck it up. Some counties are excellent at keeping such stuff in-house and amazingly keep even supporters on-message but others seem to enthrall gossip merchants. Looks like Limerick are firmly in the latter category.

Maybe so but when you see stupid videos of players digging the head off ppl and there's obvious prove then you do wonder what else is true. I really hope all the rest is made up bull****e but no smoke without fire. I only heard abt the tipp Jersey burning today, honest to god it's really stupid but this day and age making bloody videos and sharing them is school boy stuff. These lads are men and should have a bit of cop on. If any or all is true, kiely will have great time explaining to media why certain players are dropped this yr. I'd sooner it's all kept in house and sorted that way but now some of it is all over WhatsApp and the like it's gonna be a true test of the squad, management included. Plz god it gets sorted before the league!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Maybe so but when you see stupid videos of players digging the head off ppl and there's obvious prove then you do wonder what else is true. I really hope all the rest is made up bull****e but no smoke without fire. I only heard abt the tipp Jersey burning today, honest to god it's really stupid but this day and age making bloody videos and sharing them is school boy stuff. These lads are men and should have a bit of cop on. If any or all is true, kiely will have great time explaining to media why certain players are dropped this yr. I'd sooner it's all kept in house and sorted that way but now some of it is all over WhatsApp and the like it's gonna be a true test of the squad, management included. Plz god it gets sorted before the league!

It will be very easy for Kiely to explain to the media..... breach of discipline.... end of.... answer the inevitable questions before they get asked....they were warned before barbados and again before New York about phines and social media..... those two lads have to be dropped immediatley for the coming year..... as bad as the man throwing the fists was the video being shared breaks the trust within any squad.

As for all the other stuff flying around this last day or two Im not sure. No smoke without fire. If there are court case to be had then the mans head will not be where it needs to be to get within an asses roar of an all ireland.

The bigger issue is with the Guard and Influence from higher up, why did these fells need to go to sandy lane during club season (Is limerick hurling been run as a commercial vehicle for the sponsor?).

That said id have 3 of the 4 fells named off he panel (not too much in the Barry Murphy thing in fairness he's from Doon like)

The bigger issue is with the Guard and Influence from higher up, why did these fells need to go to sandy lane during club season (Is limerick hurling been run as a commercial vehicle for the sponsor?).

That said id have 3 of the 4 fells named off he panel (not too much in the Barry Murphy thing in fairness he's from Doon like)

Murphy is already gone I think, didn't go to new York .

• Advertisement

Murphy is already gone I think, didn't go to new York .

Advertisement