Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

• 17-11-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey lads, as far as I can see we have no thread going for this.

I've met with the local Sergeant and I have my fitness on November 19th.

Anyone driving from Templemore to Dublin that afternoon? The train times are a bit rubbish unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

How long after filling out form B did you get the GP clearance. I had to make a few changes to mine and sent it back Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MrNightOwl

St.Brigids wrote: »
    How long after filling out form B did you get the GP clearance. I had to make a few changes to mine and sent it back Monday.

Sent Form B on 14th October, received GP Clearance Form on 16th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Northkman88

I had to resend my form B back on the 4/11 and then received my Gp clearance the day after, which I sent on the 14/11. Got a phone call to meet sgt tomorrow evening. Physical then on the 13/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sp1234

Hey on form B you have the option to allow or deny them to call your current employer. Is it ok to deny them that option? Has anyone done so and got through ok?

Sp1234 wrote: »
    Hey on form B you have the option to allow or deny them to call your current employer. Is it ok to deny them that option? Has anyone done so and got through ok?

I denied and put a note in saying I would rather they didn't until there was a position offered within An Garda Siochana, but that if it was necessary for them to contact me and I would allow it.

• Advertisement

I had to resend my form B back on the 4/11 and then received my Gp clearance the day after, which I sent on the 14/11. Got a phone call to meet sgt tomorrow evening. Physical then on the 13/12.

Did you have vetting for aboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sp1234

I denied and put a note in saying I would rather they didn't until there was a position offered within An Garda Siochana, but that if it was necessary for them to contact me and I would allow it.

Thanks and was your form accepted?

Sp1234 wrote: »
    Thanks and was your form accepted?

yes, I did have a few other changes they asked me to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 576hkg348rjn21

I've got my GP form signed today. Is the Sergeant/Super interview done before the PCT or after? I'm already a civilian in DJE so not sure if they'll still do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

I've got my GP form signed today. Is the Sergeant/Super interview done before the PCT or after? I'm already a civilian in DJE so not sure if they'll still do it?

I've heard that there usually after the PCT. But I met the Sergeant last week, and my PCT is in 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 DeclanW1999

Sent my form B away last thursday and havent heard anything since? is that a good sign or a bad sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gazza434

hi lads,
    hope ye are well, i passed my interview and received form b i have until the 26/11 to send this back.
    if my form b is approved and receives clearance what is the next stage? would i be right in assuming that it is a date for the pct in templemore?
    then if successful at this stage you will have to complete the medical at a later stage?
    is there much of a waiting between form b clearance to the pct test and then on to the medical?
    hope someone can help me with this. would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DeclanW1999

You will have to go to your GP first after your cleared by form B and get him to sign a form for you before you get a date for you PCT

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gazza434

all going well form b is cleared where do we get the form needed for the gp is that sent out when they let us know the results of the form b?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

For your local Sargent and Super interview is it your local from your present address or home address? As mine are different because I’m in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Northkman88

Did you have vetting for aboard?

I had three aunts in England. The rest in Ireland.

Was anyone here down at the PCT yesterday? Happy to say I got through it without a struggle. Wrecked today though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fahy1996

How long after sending form B should we hear back for those of you that have passed this stage of the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dean1108

In Form B for your referees, do you have to give their home address or their place of work address?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ShaunaN246

Hi Guys, Have my PCT on the 17th of December under a lot of pressure as I got the date today and was fully sure they gave at least 6 weeks notice, was hoping for after Christmas!
    Does anyone have any tips for the test that have already done it? Also does anyone know where to find the audio for the bleep test as I can’t find it anywhere online
    Probably a lot of old forums with the answers for this but they seem to be doing things different this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Whatyagonnnado

ShaunaN246 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Have my PCT on the 17th of November under a lot of pressure as I got the date today and was fully sure they gave at least 6 weeks notice, was hoping for after Christmas!
    Does anyone have any tips for the test that have already done it? Also does anyone know where to find the audio for the bleep test as I can’t find it anywhere online
    Probably a lot of old forums with the answers for this but they seem to be doing things different this time

I hope you mean the 17th December? :p

Hi Guys, Have my PCT on the 17th of December under a lot of pressure as I got the date today and was fully sure they gave at least 6 weeks notice, was hoping for after Christmas!

The beep test is on Spotify (search for beep test) and I'm sure you can find some version of it on YouTube. Google Loughborough Intermittent Shuttle Test. Any 20m beep test will help you prepare. Practise indoors in a stuffy, dusty hall if possible!

No tips really... just train hard. How's your cardio? How many pushups/situps can you do?

Not much you can do for the obstacle course other than work on your cardio. Watch the demonstration videos on YouTube to familiarise yourself with the order of the obstacles.

The push/pull will only be difficult if you're below average height and don't have any kind of upper body strength. It's mostly about using your legs to be honest. You'll get a practise run so work out the best position for your feet. The power comes from the ground up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lucymangoo96

Quick question for anyone who has done PCT - mine is scheduled for 9am 13th Dec and I'm wondering what time I'll be out at - roughly?
    I have my xmas party on that day and hoping to get back up for it as will be my last with my job and work friends!

Quick question for anyone who has done PCT - mine is scheduled for 9am 13th Dec and I'm wondering what time I'll be out at - roughly?
    I have my xmas party on that day and hoping to get back up for it as will be my last with my job and work friends!

Took about 3 hours for me but I was in the second group. When they bing you into the lecture room sit at the front - you'll most likely be put in Group A and get to do everything first then leg it as soon as your done.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 S84

MrNightOwl wrote: »
    Hey lads, as far as I can see we have no thread going for this.

I've met with the local Sergeant and I have my fitness on November 19th.

Anyone driving from Templemore to Dublin that afternoon? The train times are a bit rubbish unfortunately.

Whats the story with meeting the local Sargent?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

Took about 3 hours for me but I was in the second group. When they bing you into the lecture room sit at the front - you'll most likely be put in Group A and get to do everything first then leg it as soon as your done.

how long do they space the stages out? Like breaks between each exercises?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ShaunaN246

The beep test is on Spotify (search for beep test) and I'm sure you can find some version of it on YouTube. Google Loughborough Intermittent Shuttle Test. Any 20m beep test will help you prepare. Practise indoors in a stuffy, dusty hall if possible!

No tips really... just train hard. How's your cardio? How many pushups/situps can you do?

Not much you can do for the obstacle course other than work on your cardio. Watch the demonstration videos on YouTube to familiarise yourself with the order of the obstacles.

The push/pull will only be difficult if you're below average height and don't have any kind of upper body strength. It's mostly about using your legs to be honest. You'll get a practise run so work out the best position for your feet. The power comes from the ground up.

Thanks for that. After being away for the last 3 weeks so fairly poor in everything definitely wasn’t expecting coming home to it being so soon. Have the beep test app so just practicing with that for now definitely have to build myself up. Sit ups and press ups are fine it’s just the shuttle run I’m worried about as I’ve never been a runner no matter how hard I try. Hopefully I’ll get there before the day🀞ðŸ¼

S84 wrote: »
    Whats the story with meeting the local Sargent?

I got an email from the sarge directly asking me to come in on a a Sunday. Fairly informal but throw a collar and tie on anyway. Won't do any harm. I was in the room with him for less than 5mins. He just asked if I thought there'd be any issues with anyone I named on my Form B. Advised me to keep the fitness up while in Templemore.

AF96DUB wrote: »
    how long do they space the stages out? Like breaks between each exercises?

We were told to be there for 4pm. Group A started the beep test shortly after 5pm. You're given about 10-15mins break after the beep then you do your pushups and situps. Then I was told to go wait in the coffee dock until 6.15pm. I'd say I was upstairs doing the obstacle course around 6.30pm. Then you wait in a queue for the push-pull. I was done by 7pm and able to get the last train back to the big smoke. I was in the second group.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. After being away for the last 3 weeks so fairly poor in everything definitely wasn’t expecting coming home to it being so soon. Have the beep test app so just practicing with that for now definitely have to build myself up. Sit ups and press ups are fine it’s just the shuttle run I’m worried about as I’ve never been a runner no matter how hard I try. Hopefully I’ll get there before the day🀞ðŸ¼

Well it's definitely doable. I hate running...always avoided it. Always stuck to weightlifting. I knew the beep would be an issue for me so I signed up for a 5k and ran it last Wednesday. I started training about 2 months ago. I'm right on the age limit but flew through the beep. The adrenaline will get you through on the day.

I'm not an expert on running by any means but I'd say concentrate on running for time for a week or 2. Do 10 mins straight at whatever pace, then add time to it when able. I could barely do 3 minutes when I started. You have the guts of a month so try and build up a base for the first 2 weeks then you can work on speed for the next 2. Remenber you'll only be running for about 11 minutes and cover maybe 1.5km? Maybe practise the test at the end of every week to see how you're doing. I'd definitely be trying to get out for a run at least 3 times a week.

Whatever you do, don't give up on the day. Keep going until your legs are screaming and your lungs are burning. There was one person there who failed the beep on their 3rd attempt. You don't want to be in that position.

Advertisement