Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's been the best music of this decade?

Options
  • 21-11-2019 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

What songs, artists or albums are the stand outs? And what will this decade be remembered for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Tame Impala probably the only band that came from this decade that I'm interested in tbh. Lonerism probably my favorite ever album of the decade but I didn't listen to much tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

What songs, artists or albums are the stand outs? And what will this decade be remembered for?

The death of the charts, although plenty would say that started in the 00s

used to love watching top 30 hits on Sunday (?) and listening to the charts live on friday growing up

Ed Sheeran having every single album track in the top 20 singles charts, based on streams alone, was well and truly the final nail in the coffin though

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Its been a pretty poor decade for music. Seems like image has taken over from talent in all aspects of music nowadays, in what is accepted as popular anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Blur

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sleaford Mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

mfceiling wrote: »
    Sleaford Mods.

This.

Also the indie punk garage sort of thing. Parquet Courts, Ty Segall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Very strong decade for music IMO.
    Biggest trend has been the rise of black rap artists & the politicisation of that music through artists like Kanye, Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lemar & Stormzy.

Personal standouts for artists/music of the decade would be Beach House, Grimes, Radiohead, Angel Olsen, Robyn, Tame Impala, The Knife

Its been a pretty poor decade for music. Seems like image has taken over from talent in all aspects of music nowadays, in what is accepted as popular anyway.

Its been a great decade. Some great music out there. Just need to dig a little deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Chart-wise the decade will be remembered for the likes of Ed Sheeran, Adele, Ariana Grande and other crooners such as Michael Bublé dominating the radio and infiltration of acts from the X Factor like One Direction, Olly Murs.

This has pushed a lot of genuine good music underground so you usually have to seek out decent music.

Of course Spotify and YouTube are brilliant for discovering new music.

Great quality music out there but you usually won't find it on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

The Nal wrote: »
    Its been a great decade. Some great music out there. Just need to dig a little deeper.

There will always be good music out there if you look but what I was getting at is we don't see a lot of bands with actual musicians in them being pushed on TV or online. Whats pushed to the fore front is usually vapid ****e by the likes of Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift etc.

The same goes for Hip Hop where we would have seen talented lyricists before you now have mumble rap and idiots with tattoos all over their faces who are so high they cant string a sentence together e.g all the "Lil" rappers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I've been enjoying Gerry Cinnamon of late, simple toe tapping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

And what will this decade be remembered for?

The decade where buying albums or singles became a waste of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

International:

Frank Ocean
    Mac De Marco
    Beach House
    Lizzo
    James Blake
    John Grant
    Soap & skin
    Fleet foxes
    Father John Misty

Irish:

Villagers
    Lankum
    Junior Brother
    Kneecap
    Lowli
    Soak

Off the top of my head, geared towards my own taste and not counting a lot of acts who released great stuff this decade but were very well established in/by the 2000s (also just leaving out a lot of the grime/general hip hop because there are only so many "old man shouts at cloud" posts I feel like reading).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Emma Ruth Rundle for me is the artist who emerged this decade who made the biggest impression on me.

Khemmis released 3 fantastic albums this decade (I accept they're pretty much completely unknown).

Steven Wilson continues to produce gold as always.

2 amazing releases from 65daysofstatic.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Greyfox wrote: »

The decade where tech companies made subscribers out of music fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Recent artists I like include Milk Carton Kids and Vampire Weekend.

Also, Miley Cyrus isn't bad, tbph.

There will always be good music out there if you look but what I was getting at is we don't see a lot of bands with actual musicians in them being pushed on TV or online. Whats pushed to the fore front is usually vapid ****e by the likes of Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift etc.

The same goes for Hip Hop where we would have seen talented lyricists before you now have mumble rap and idiots with tattoos all over their faces who are so high they cant string a sentence together e.g all the "Lil" rappers.

haha yeah true but the "Lil" lads have been around since the 90s. "Lil E", "Lil Jon" etc. All shíte.

The idea of radio being a way to discover good new stuff has been over for 20+ years.

Can't recommend Spotify enough for new music.

Also http://www.anydecentmusic.com/ is, well, decent.

Uncut mag still great for new music. As is Allmusic.com.

Singles yes but that happened way back when they stopped allowing bands to put 4 tracks on a single.

Buying albums is still a thing, for vinyl. Will forever sound a million times better than a digital album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Kendrick Lamar will probably be considered the artist of the decade.

This is obviously the anthem of the decade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Despitaco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Most overrated artist IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

‘80s or nothing for me. Lousy stuff these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

None. Modern music is rubbish.

(Now excuse me, I have to go outside to yell at some clouds)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hard to say. Albums that I thought were really good, I'm not calling them the best of the decade - just the ones I thought were best:

Benji by Sun Kil Moon
    The Idler Wheel.. by Fiona Apple
    Daughters by Daughters
    To Be Kind by Swans
    Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter
    Have One On Me by Joanna Newsom
    Divers by Joanna Newsom
    Immunity by Jon Hopkins
    Backstar by David Bowie
    Black Messiah by D'Angelo
    Let England Shake by PJ Harvey
    White Men Are Black Men Too by Young Fathers
    Art Angels by Grimes

Some more will pop into my head later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

This is obviously the anthem of the decade. :)

Can't believe I have to scroll so far down for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the previous decade was rubbish too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's been a brilliant decade for music. Some of my favourite artists of the last ten years: Tame Impala, Fionn Regan, Weyes Blood, Lana Del Rey, Deerhunter, Mac Demarco, Melody's Echo Chamber, St. Vincent, Laura Marling, Beach House, Japandroids, (Sandy) Alex G, Swans, Danny Brown, King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard, Vince Staples, Jeff Rosenstock, And So I Watch You From Afar, Tokyo Shoegazer, Flying Lotus, Sharon Van Etten, Ty Segall, Big Thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You're listening to the wrong stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The Nal wrote: »
    Buying albums is still a thing, for vinyl. Will forever sound a million times better than a digital album.

In your dreams, they only sound a little bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Here since the 90s but Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is the album of the century so far.

• Advertisement

In your dreams, they only sound a little bit better

You must be buying crap vinyl/have a crap setup!

Theres no comparison.

Advertisement