Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's been the best music of this decade?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Was she the good looking one in Sclub 7? A great voice but I wouldn't have her as one of the best this decade..

Yeah she was. She had a cover of more more more. I guess I should say pop music wasn't the same after her, not music in general

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

My two favourite live Irish acts I've seen are Girl Band and Mick Flannery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

David Bowie's last album is amazing and is one of the standouts of the decade for me, so poignant especially in hindsight.

One artist that I've really been enjoying is Andy Stott (emerged this decade). There's plenty more but would need a proper think!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Relikk wrote: »
    Rosalie Cunningham would be a particular favourite of mine from the decade. Great voice, very talented. This track would be my favourite from the album she released earlier this year. Love that album artwork, as well.

Her stuff with ‘Purson’ is good too.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

For me it has to be Ben Howard.
    Really love the direction he has gone with his music...so much darker now.
    Like a Modern Nick Drake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Check out Lord Huron guys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

smilerf wrote: »
    Check out Lord Huron guys

Sounds a bit Fleet Foxes...

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sounds a bit Fleet Foxes...
    Older stuff I agree but not since strange trails

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I must give Autechre a go. I've listened to bits and pieces of their stuff, but I was put off by the size of their latest releases, but I'll brave it and report back.

Other albums that I thought were great:

Peasant by Richard Dawson
    Strange Mercy by St. Vincent
    Channel Orange by Frank Ocean
    Queen of Denmark by John Grant
    I, Gemini by Let's Eat Grandma
    World Eater by Blanck Mass
    In a Poem Unlimited by U. S. Girls
    Relatives in Descent by Protomartyr
    Puberty 2 by Mitski
    Plunge by Fever Ray
    Burn Your Fire for No Witness by Angel Olsen
    Metamodern Sounds in Country Music by Sturgill Simpson
    Kvelertak by Kvelertak
    Sunbather by Deafheaven
    Teethed Glory and Injury by Altar of Plagues

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

DMA'S
    Gregory Alan Isakov
    Deer Tick
    Dawes
    Villagers
    White Lies

• Advertisement

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have made some of their best music this decade; Push The Sky Away, Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen are all amazing pieces of work.

Some of my other favourite albums this decade:

Arcade Fire - The Subrubs (2010)
    Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid (2010)
    Warpaint - The Fool (2010)
    Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes (2011)
    The Antlers - Burst Apart (2011)
    Tom Waits - Bad As Me (2011)
    TRST - Trust (2012)
    Goldfrapp - Tales Of Us (2013)
    Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time (2013)
    Samaris - Samaris (2013)
    The National - Trouble Will Find Me (2014)
    Beck - Morning Phase (2014)
    Kelis - Food (2014)
    The War on Drugs - Lost In the Dream (2014)
    Villagers - Darling Arithmetic (2015)
    Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon (2015)
    Florence and the Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful (2015)
    David Bowie - Blackstar (2016)
    Fever Ray - Plunge (2017)
    Lorde - Melodrama (2017)
    Beach House - Seven (2017)
    Troye Sivan - Bloom (2018)
    Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow (2019)

And I'm sure there's hundreds more great albums from the past decade that I just haven't listened to yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

buried wrote: »
    For me this decade has been all about 'Autechre', now I know full well the first time people will hear their current works from this decade without knowing who or what they do will just assume their listening device has completely and totally $hat itself. That's what I thought on first listening, but I gave it time, gave it the time it deserves, then you just 'get it' you get the melodies, the intricate arpeggios hidden within the tracks that constitute electronic bleeps and blops. Then you truly have a whole new music experience in your eardrums to enjoy. I get totally lost in their work, especially Elseq 1-5 and the NTS Sessions 1-4 released 2016 and 2018. Its so brilliant.

That's fascinating. I've always been intrigued by how we have to retrain or reprogram ourselves to appreciate experimental art and literature. I've done that successfully with painting, poetry, and prose, but I've never tried it with music. You've inspired me to give it a shot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

that Dance Monkey tune is pretty catchy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I've been fan of Autechre since the mid 90s.their music is on a different level but I think the majority of people will find it inaccessible.

I find that I sometimes have to psych myself up to listen to them but it's very rewarding when I do. I suppose you could say that it requires active listening. If you have any knowledge of electronic music and how it's made or indeed knowledge of computer programming and algorithms then it will heighten your appreciation of the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

I'll just add to the lots of good recommendations already made.

Public Service Broadcasting - Every Valley (2017)
    Let's do a concept album about the decline of the Welsh mining industry

Night Beats - Sonic Bloom (2014)
    A 1960's garage throwback

Dry Cleaning - Sweet Princess EP (2019)
    Just fk off you cvnt in a polite way

Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary (2014)
    Tongue in cheek hiphop

Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth (2018)
    Sun Ra would approve this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

One of my favourite tunes of decade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

the best music of this decade is music from any other.
    maybe its age but the amount of mindless unmemorable crap on the radio today that passes for music is sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

That one song with "the ting goes.....".

Truly an excellent encapsulation of the godawful music from this decade.

In the last decade my musical taste has completely changed. I've gone from listening to rock and guitar based music to nearly exclusively listening to electronic music.

Jon Hopkins
    Kiasmos
    Four Tet
    Paul Kalkbrenner
    Bicep
    M83
    The Blaze
    The Chemical Brothers (I know theyre going years but the album's they released this decade are some of my favourites)

A brilliant decade of music if you take the time to go find what you like. So much music has never been so accessible and with the Spotify and YouTube algorithms being so good if you find something you like you can listen to tonnes of similar stuff without the need to do anything other than listen.

If you think this decades music was crap it just means you haven't made any effort to find what you like. And it's never been easier. Spotify was a game changer.

In the last decade my musical taste has completely changed. I've gone from listening to rock and guitar based music to nearly exclusively listening to electronic music.

Jon Hopkins
    Kiasmos
    Four Tet
    Paul Kalkbrenner
    Bicep
    M83
    The Blaze
    The Chemical Brothers (I know theyre going years but the album's they released this decade are some of my favourites)

A brilliant decade of music if you take the time to go find what you like. So much music has never been so accessible and with the Spotify and YouTube algorithms being so good if you find something you like you can listen to tonnes of similar stuff without the need to do anything other than listen.

If you think this decades music was crap it just means you haven't made any effort to find what you like. And it's never been easier. Spotify was a game changer.
    love m83
    Great music and Kayla sinclair is very easy on the eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

the best music of this decade is music from any other.
    maybe its age but the amount of mindless unmemorable crap on the radio today that passes for music is sad.

The radio isn't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The only artist that comes to mind is Ryan Sheridan. I think he has been consistently good. There have been a few catchy songs here and there from other artists but I couldn't tell you the names of them. Most of the music from this decade has been forgettable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LAZYIRISH

Right now for me ending this decade ,it has to be avicii , some of the stuff he didn't release is just brilliant. I tend to love all types of music and he seems to bring every element and genre to his music. He seemed to be overrated yet very underrated at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The reissue of Extreme’s decadance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think the biggest travesty of this decade was the way a lot of so called artist's sampled from a lot of old school underground deep house music from the 90's and made a mint out of it.

If you're into Deep house music, and hear a lot of the shoite today, you'd notice the loop's, samples and bass lines...

Vocals being manipulated by computer applications etc

Any one who's remixing appreciate the artist, anyone who copies are just peeler's or biters...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'm interpreting the question as "What's been the best new music by a new artist in this decade ?"*

* if it was album releases by already established bands I'd be here for ever and still forget some.

So I'm going with :

Ghost
    King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

RayCon wrote: »
    King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
    They're a band I really want to like but I've never fully warmed up to them.

The amount of music they release is ridiculous. They released 5 albums in 2017 alone. I'm hoping a couple of their albums will grow on me eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Rothko wrote: »
    It's been a brilliant decade for music. Some of my favourite artists of the last ten years: Tame Impala, Fionn Regan, Weyes Blood, Lana Del Rey, Deerhunter, Mac Demarco, Melody's Echo Chamber, St. Vincent, Laura Marling, Beach House, Japandroids, (Sandy) Alex G, Swans, Danny Brown, King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard, Vince Staples, Jeff Rosenstock, And So I Watch You From Afar, Tokyo Shoegazer, Flying Lotus, Sharon Van Etten, Ty Segall, Big Thief.

Is it wrong that I refuse to countenance bands with names like Tokyo Shoegazer or And So I Watch You From Afar purely on grounds of irascible middle-age?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is it wrong that I refuse to countenance bands with names like Tokyo Shoegazer or And So I Watch You From Afar purely on grounds of irascible middle-age?

Not wrong, dude, but probably a bit limiting if you're into shoegaze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Drake!!

Has been in the charts almost every week for the decade so far.

Advertisement