Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's been the best music of this decade?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

smilerf wrote: »
    Rock is alive and well
    Check out Greta Van Fleet.
    Are Greta Van Fleet not like One Direction in classic rock disguise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Some of my favourite albums of the decade

- Carrie and Lowell (Sufjan Stevens)
    - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Kanye)
    - Good Kid Maad City (Kendrick)
    - A Moon Shaped Pool (Radiohead)
    - The Suburbs (Arcade Fire)
    - Bon Iver (Bon Iver)
    - Tame Impala (Lonerism)
    - Lost in the Dream (The War On Drugs)
    - Bloom (Beach House)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Are Greta Van Fleet not like One Direction in classic rock disguise?

Nah they're a really good band but they're The Rutles version of Led Zeppelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

I think when people say music is not as good as it used to be, they think of what passes for good music on or good pop music on regular radio stations. Up to the 90's anyhow you had a plethora of catchy/good songs on the radio, mostly written and performed by the songwriters. A lot of the mainstream radio stations can be found playing a lot of 'classic' songs during their dj slots (aside from the slightly more niche shows), this can be reflective of the nostalgia the host and the audience has.

There's still good music out there, you just have to dig a bit deeper. Also I'd argue that singles that artists release nowadays can often be less representative of their overall material.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Arghus wrote: »
    Though, it could easily rebound too. Things being cyclical and all. This decade saw the renewed appreciation for a lot of musical styles and sounds of the eighties - so maybe an alternative rock renaissance is due. The sales of flannel will go through the roof. But, to tell you the truth, I'm not betting on it.

You're right, young people aren't really listening to rock, or if they are, they are listening to it as just one of the genres that they listen to. The rise of playlists has meant that "kids nowadays" aren't bothered that what they are listening to is a mix of rock, r&b, hip hop, electronic, pop, etc. Often in the same song!

The age of the indie fan who only listened to one kind of music is kind of gone now, particularly among the Gen Z / millennials.

Where rock does have a future, weirdly, is with the older fans. Fans in their 40s who are still passionate about the music they loved in the 80s and 90s. And for them, the current music being made isn't good enough, or they can't associate with it.

And that's why older bands like the Cure, or someone like Liam Gallagher, can play huge gigs. Or when the Stone Roses reformed. And these gigs do attract younger audiences too, those who weren't born first time around. Now they have a chance to see what for them is a "classic" band.

So the nostalgia market is where it's at for rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

International:

Frank Ocean
    Mac De Marco
    Beach House
    Lizzo
    James Blake
    John Grant
    Soap & skin
    Fleet foxes
    Father John Misty

Irish:

Villagers
    Lankum
    Junior Brother
    Kneecap
    Lowli
    Soak

Off the top of my head, geared towards my own taste and not counting a lot of acts who released great stuff this decade but were very well established in/by the 2000s (also just leaving out a lot of the grime/general hip hop because there are only so many "old man shouts at cloud" posts I feel like reading).

will anything on that list be remembered next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

They've all been around for years already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Rothko wrote: »
    They've all been around for years already.

Lizzo has only made a name for herself the past 2/3 years. She wouldn't be as popular if she wasn't promoting body positivity IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

?

Don't know why you have singled out that particular list for a hot-take - which the poster said was a list of stuff they enjoyed, not some objective list of greatness - but most of those acts have been around now for a few years: Frank Ocean, Fleet Foxes, Father John Misty etc, etc. And in my opinion, John Grant is one of the greatest singer songwriters of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

The rise of playlists has meant that "kids nowadays" aren't bothered that what they are listening to is a mix of rock, r&b, hip hop, electronic, pop, etc. Often in the same song!

All true. We've seen a major shift over the past decade from albums (sales of CDs fell 23% in the UK in 2018, and the decline has continued this year) to popular playlists like Spotify's Afternoon Acoustic or Intense Studying.

In response, many artists have become focused on cutting tracks that will get them coveted spots on the most high-profile playlists — even if that means tailoring their music to blend in with the style/mood of dominant lists.

The logical end result is more music that all sounds similar, or that blends together the most popular styles into a catch-all fusion.

The standard format of the past, where artists put together 10 tracks on an LP or CD, sometimes in meticulously thematically or musically arranged order, is rapidly becoming history — and yet nobody is quite sure what the future holds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

smilerf wrote: »
    Rock is alive and well
    Check out Greta Van Fleet. Goodbye June Lilac. Badflower

Of those bands you've mentioned I've listened to Greta Van Fleet and they just make me feel more sure about it when I say that there's a chronic lack of new ideas in rock music. They sound so close to rock bands of the past - particularly Led Zeppelin - that it's comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The standard format of the past, where artists put together 10 tracks on an LP or CD, sometimes in meticulously thematically or musically arranged order, is rapidly becoming history — and yet nobody is quite sure what the future holds.

Yet the album is still being made by most if not all artists (with perhaps the exception being hop hop "mix tapes"), and the vinyl market is in very good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

Anything from Dr. Shlomo & the GI Clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The Nal wrote: »
    Nah they're a really good band but they're The Rutles version of Led Zeppelin.
    But The Rutles were a parody, and were actually really funny.

The tragic thing about Greta Van Fleet is that they're not a parody. But If someone wants to listen to a band that sounds just like Led Zeppelin, then just listen to Led Zeppelin.

Pitchfork got it right with their review of Anthem of the Peaceful Army:
    https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

The tragic thing about Greta Van Fleet is that they're not a parody. But If someone wants to listen to a band that sounds just like Led Zeppelin, then just listen to Led Zeppelin.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

I think that review might be the nail on the head. That band always irritated me. They personified the crucial problem with rock these days, it’s the same boring cliches over and over again.

They even claimed that weren’t trying to emulate Led Zeppelin. The drummer is using the exact same kit as John Bonham ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was reading above , great thread.

Some great musics - I didn't even hear of.

Was going to say Arcade Fire by miles - but was shocked to see that Funeral was in 2004 - holy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Burial has released all of the tracks he has released from 2011 to 2019 on a nice little compilation through Hyperdub records. A lot of fans didnt like these tracks on frst release through various singles and EP's but they work really well on this compilation.
    Nice cinematic electronic sounds with a good bit of soul and emotion. Over 2 hours worth of nice sounds while you put up the decorations. Lots of these were released over the last few Christmaseseseses

https://open.spotify.com/album/1o3bcXSMkishGv7hiHIloh?si=iGhBApD_RxSGhfoHE0HVaQ

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They were good fun in the Olympia. They're a good little band.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Autechre, like the last two decades. Elseq and the NTS Sessions equal 12 hours of music. Not sure if it should be called music though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

M83

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Cordell

ongarite wrote: »
    Very strong decade for music IMO.
    Biggest trend has been the rise of black rap artists & the politicisation of that music through artists like Kanye, Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lemar & Stormzy.
    The rise of the black politically charged music had happen in the late 80s and early 90s and reached its peak in the 2000s. Since 2010s it's all downhill both musically and politically, good hip hop went back into the underground like in the 90s. Any mediocre old school hip hop artist will absolutely destroy Kanye Kardashian in all aspects of hip hop.

Advertisement