Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 year-old girl critical after Lisnaskea machete attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that notwithstanding the complete disregard for the local environment by some even many travelers, that they live more lightly on the planet than many settled people. In that they have shorter life spans and generally make do with less 'stuff'. Some traveler families have also been the mainstay of parts of Irish culture like trad music, think of the Raineys, Dorans or Fureys etc. So it's not all negative. Still I think some of these values and traditions could be sacrificed in the interests of them getting on better with the rest of society.

I cant see them being carbon neutral with the burning and illegal dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

rafatoni wrote:
    God bless the mart

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Barney224

Is it my imagination, or has there been a bit of a media blackout on this story? Not sure if it's the fact that because they're travellers, media outlets are afraid to get involved (because of the fear of being labelled anti-traveller), or is it because they just don't care anymore?

If this attack happened to a girl in a middle class family in Dalkey, we'd never hear the end of it, and there'd be shock and outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I haven't even read the article but honestly now whoever did that should never see the light of day again, we need to get tough on these animals

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if this was perpetrated by some young guys from Dalkey, rugby players etc, the media would be foaming at the mouth, going into detail about where they live, how much their parents bought their homes for, what school the go to, the annual fees for said school, what holidays they went on, what cars they drive, who their friend are and this story would run and run.

but in this case we get absolutely no detail and the media want it to go away asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Is anybody really surprised this happened ? Really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I unfortunately watched the video not realizing what it was until the end when they showed the huge hole in her back, apparently she needed 300 stitches, the poor girl.
    Apparently it’s an ongoing feud between various Joyce family members, just go into YouTube and google Gramsey Joyce, it was his house they were in.
    The amount of stuff they post is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

if this was perpetrated by some young guys from Dalkey, rugby players etc, the media would be foaming at the mouth, going into detail about where they live, how much their parents bought their homes for, what school the go to, the annual fees for said school, what holidays they went on, what cars they drive, who their friend are and this story would run and run.

but in this case we get absolutely no detail and the media want it to go away asap.

That's because it would be a novelty. It's about what people are interested in. They made a meal of Christy Burke banging his babysitter ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I unfortunately watched the video not realizing what it was until the end when they showed the huge hole in her back, apparently she needed 300 stitches, the poor girl.
    Apparently it’s an ongoing feud between various Joyce family members, just go into YouTube and google Gramsey Joyce, it was his house they were in.
    The amount of stuff they post is amazing

I watched a few of those videos just now, the attack, the immediate aftermath and the provocative responses.
    This is sad sick stuff, this isn't racist or biased against travellers stuff, this is just themselves against themselves, and then they have the nerve to call us out if we speak in any way derogatory about them at all, AND our bleeding heart politicians and public reps gave them special ethnic status.
    We live in a desperate sihthole that allows this to carry on, and them bleeders know fine well that this the type of lifestyle they made special

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Ah its a bit like the Quinn stuff, its far from the Dublin newsrooms and I doubt most papers have budgets to allow reporters to chase stories round the country anymore.

Gossipy stories about south Dub privilege sell papers and traveller feuds don't.

The Celt says its a traveller fued.
    https://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/11/19/4182508-teen-girl-required-300-stitches-after-machete-attack-in-lisnaskea/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Thank f*ck that young one is ok at least. When you see the still shot of the wound (link above from ToD), it is massive.

Where does it go now is the problem, if these "men" are willing to attack women and children with machetes, f*ck knows what next.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has there been any arrests in this case yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Were they trying to get at the baby or the teenage girl they did get?
    Whoever inflicted those wounds must be a pig altogether. I'd imagine he is fairly ****ting himself now though, the repercussions for that will be nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Bullocks wrote: »

I don't think they were particularly trying to get the baby. I'd say the plan was to slash anybody in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

NIMAN wrote: »

Nothing reported yet anyway. Its being treated as attempted murder though so you would imagine it won't take too long.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Whoever inflicted those wounds must be a pig altogether. I'd imagine he is fairly ****ting himself now though, the repercussions for that will be nasty

Bernie Joyce who is the fella who was having the back and forth call out videos with the girls father said in one of his videos that they probably thought the girl was Pauline and Pauline would have deserved it.

Pauline is the wife of Christy. Christy is the girls older brother and father of the baby. He is the one who was making the video when the girl was on the sofa seriously injured. He and his wife were also involved in the to and fro call outs prior to the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

The perps have probably strolled across the Border which presumably means that they're untouchable unless/until the PSNI gets European Arrest Warrant.

It's also possible that the victims of the assault have refused to give statements to the PSNI, preferring to deal with the matter themselves. Presumably, as the families involved are members of a separate ethnical group, the PSNI will respect their traditional cultural method of doling out retribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

171170 wrote: »
    The perps have probably strolled across the Border which presumably means that they're untouchable unless/until the PSNI gets European Arrest Warrant.

It's also possible that the victims of the assault have refused to give statements to the PSNI, preferring to deal with the matter themselves. Presumably, as the families involved are members of a separate ethnical group, the PSNI will respect their traditional cultural method of doling out retribution.

We had a court describing a couple who mutilated the sexual organs of a 20 month old child as "overall good parents". They have a culture as well.

So there probably will he allowances made.

If you can take a razor to a toddler and be praised in court, anything is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Such a dilemma for most posters on boards here, I mean surely you should be happy this has happened to a “sub human”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

armaghlad wrote: »
    Such a dilemma for most posters on boards here, I mean surely you should be happy this has happened to a “sub human”

Dont be a bolox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

armaghlad wrote: »

Come down from the pulpit your Grace.

You are indulging yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Pauline is the wife of Christy. Christy is the girls older brother and father of the baby. He is the one who was making the video when the girl was on the sofa seriously injured. He and his wife were also involved in the to and fro call outs prior to the incident.

Do you think they're regretting their call out now? Or do you think they're making a new callout video?

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Do you think they're regretting their call out now? Or do you think they're making a new callout video?

Honestly, I don’t think the parents care nor would they ever acknowledge that they are responsible for the environment they have raised that child in. Just look at the video her brother took. The mother is more interested in facing the camera telling everyone that they didn’t cut her. What the ****? Her daughter is left alone on the sofa whilst the adults play their stupid games.

Social services need to be stepping into these situations when the kids are young. The girl that was injured has younger siblings and a baby nephew who she did shield from getting hurt. Is it a safe environment for them children to be left in?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Barney224

Honestly, I don’t think the parents care nor would they ever acknowledge that they are responsible for the environment they have raised that child in. Just look at the video her brother took. The mother is more interested in facing the camera telling everyone that they didn’t cut her. What the ****? Her daughter is left alone on the sofa whilst the adults play their stupid games.

Social services need to be stepping into these situations when the kids are young. The girl that was injured has younger siblings and a baby nephew who she did shield from getting hurt. Is it a safe environment for them children to be left in?

So true. Her parents need to be mentally assessed properly before that kid is sent back home.

Barney224 wrote: »
    So true. Her parents need to be mentally assessed properly before that kid is sent back home.

Mentally assessed indeed. Watch this from 4th November. Sorry, 9th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

These lads spend all day threatening to kill and mutilate each other and their families and broadcasting it on a public forum. Surely the police cam do something about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Gerry G wrote: »
    These lads spend all day threatening to kill and mutilate each other and their families and broadcasting it on a public forum. Surely the police cam do something about it?

If a troll on the internet threatens to kill, it can be held against them afaik.

So id guess threatening to kill someone on YouTube would be no different?

They are even making it easier for the authorities, as they aren't anonymous.

If a troll on the internet threatens to kill, it can be held against them afaik.

So id guess threatening to kill someone on YouTube would be no different?

They are even making it easier for the authorities, as they aren't anonymous.

They may as well be standing on O'connell bridge shouting their threats, it's no different than spreading it online. If they did it out in public they wouldn't be long getting locked up. It's bizarre stuff. The internet has given these knuckle draggers the perfect stage to showcase their brain power

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Gerry G wrote: »

I’m not being trite but you don’t seem to realise that it is part of their culture and therefore their right to do this.
    Pavee point are very firm about this.
    It’s not the travellers responsibility to stop feuding. It’s the responsibility of government and society at large to provide proper professional mediation in order to reach a satisfactory conclusion in these feuds.
    Were not doing that so ultimately it’s the settled people’s fault that this little girl was attacked with a machete.
    More or less every negative attached to a traveller is settled peoples fault.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m not being trite but you don’t seem to realise that it is part of their culture and therefore their right to do this.
    Pavee point are very firm about this.
    It’s not the travellers responsibility to stop feuding. It’s the responsibility of government and society at large to provide proper professional mediation in order to reach a satisfactory conclusion in these feuds.
    Were not doing that so ultimately it’s the settled people’s fault that this little girl was attacked with a machete.
    More or less every negative attached to a traveller is settled peoples fault.

Yeah you're right, I kinda feel a bit guilty now

Advertisement