Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead II Coming November 5th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm lucky to get 200 kb/s in my place tethering through my mobile. Guess I'll have the game by Christmas 2020

3ffdmo.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Downloaded this today, played the opening hour or so.

Hard to say much about the gameplay so far because its very on rails at this point but no doubt that won't last for long. I was pulling off crack shots against fast moving wolves on horseback, so crack in fact I got suspicious and to my disgust they have an auto aim system on even with mouse and keyboard. Turned that off.

Production values are sky high. Excellent graphics overall, though I do think the snow deformation in the distance looks terrible and is rather distracting. Also noticed weird sudden screen darkening in certain indoor scenes.

Also have no idea how to enable HDR in game either. There doesn't seem to be setting for it.

Everything set to high settings except textures to max and AF to 16x. Seems to be holding a solid 60FPS at 1440p using the Vulkan API. No crashes so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

want to bypass the Rockstar Launcher? Just rename rdr2.exe to gtav.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Skerries wrote: »
    want to bypass the Rockstar Launcher? Just rename rdr2.exe to gtav.exe

Does that actually work?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

according to a user over on Reddit for the moment until they probably patch it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Think ill pass on this, was initially hyped when i heard about it coming to PC but all i hear now is its too story driven with not much action or gameplay and is very slow paced?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

When there's action to be had, it's pretty good, but it's broken up by endless hours of having to gallop every where on your horse and having to do timed button presses to get the horse to go as fast as possible. Then there's lots and lots and LOTS of busywork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm enjoying it so far, even with the busywork. I'm sure it'll get a bit annoying eventually, but it really feels immersive right now. I'm quite happy with a slower paced story right now...haven't been engrossed in one in a while.

Game runs really well, except for some serious stuttering at times, which is apparently related to me CPU maxing out. Trying a few fixes which makes it more bearable, but it's really frustrating at times.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it so far, even with the busywork. I'm sure it'll get a bit annoying eventually, but it really feels immersive right now. I'm quite happy with a slower paced story right now...haven't been engrossed in one in a while.

Game runs really well, except for some serious stuttering at times, which is apparently related to me CPU maxing out. Trying a few fixes which makes it more bearable, but it's really frustrating at times.

Try reducing V-sync to half. Fixed everything for me. Also, turn off motion blur.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

The snow deformation issue I mentioned is apparently a bug on the Radeon 5700XT GPU's with the latest drivers from AMD. Rolling back to 19.9.2 drivers apparently fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This may help those having issues running the game.

Venom wrote: »
    This may help those having issues running the game.

Umm Arkham Knight not worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Umm Arkham Knight not worse?

"2nd worse" isnt a great title for the outrage factor etc:

Tbh I doubt its even top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    "2nd worse" isnt a great title for the outrage factor etc:

Tbh I doubt its even top 10.
    I believe that is what the kids call "clickbait" these days.

But he is right

DO NOT PRE-ORDER!!

I'm enjoying the game. But does seem very button pressing heavy to pass the time on the way to missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There is a cinematic camera that should allow you to set a way point,engage it and the horse should follow the path laid out on the map to the waypoint automatically

It doesnt always work the best though,least on console anyway. Id say half the time it messed up but least the other half took out the button tapping nonsense.

In fairness i just held the button aswell,only used tapping when i wanted to go as fast as possible to get away from something.

I'm loving the game to be honest. I've lowered a few graphical settings, so only get very rare stuttering now, and it still looks great. Story so far has been good, with some really interesting characters. It does take a while to do anything, but just cruising around the map looking for random things to do is (currently) just what i'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RDR2 Optimizations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Can't really stand Rockstar games anymore. Open world but with absolutely no freedom when it actually comes to missions, essentially just making it a slog from A to B. For some this doesn't stop the game's from being good to them. This lad really hits the point for me:

So i enjoy this, but don't really have the urge to go back to it all that much. Think i'll even start the new Star Wars game before finishing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kiith wrote: »
    So i enjoy this, but don't really have the urge to go back to it all that much. Think i'll even start the new Star Wars game before finishing this.

I did that :o

Not really bothered about RDR, played about an hour. Will finish it tho......one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I enjoyed it it when I played it when ever it was released on console.

I'm enjoying it.

Including the level of detail.

Such as this random encounter
    I came across this shackled prisoner in the woods, he asked me to blow the shackles off his feet. I did this and he gave me info about a house with lots of cash. Then I decided to lasso him and put him on the back of the horse. Brought him to the sheriff and got a cash reward. Was cool, the devs thought of all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm enjoying it.

Including the level of detail.

Such as this random encounter
    I came across this shackled prisoner in the woods, he asked me to blow the shackles off his feet. I did this and he gave me info about a house with lots of cash. Then I decided to lasso him and put him on the back of the horse. Brought him to the sheriff and got a cash reward. Was cool, the devs thought of all that.

The poor guy. Just
    escaped from prison and you bring him back
    . You will
    encounter more of them
    throughout the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Downloaded this on steam yesterday. Have the recommended rig and I am getting a good bit of stuttering which is really disappointing - even on low.

My pc is

Processor. i5 3.8ghz 7600
    Ram. 24gb
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb
    Hard Drive: SSD

Is my PC too slow, or have I messed up the optimisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

errlloyd wrote: »
    Downloaded this on steam yesterday. Have the recommended rig and I am getting a good bit of stuttering which is really disappointing - even on low.

My pc is

Processor. i5 3.8ghz 7600
    Ram. 24gb
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb
    Hard Drive: SSD

Is my PC too slow, or have I messed up the optimisation?

Have a look at these and see if you can improve performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

In on the fence for so long with this to buy or not on pc. Anyone that's playing it now is it worth it with any updates that happened? Was put off completely by the reports of a bad port on release

• Advertisement

It's a very immersive game, and i enjoyed it for a few hours, but really not sure if i'll go back. It just takes so long to do anything, and i don't have the urge to get that into it.

Looks amazing, and runs well on my not so powerful machine.

Advertisement