Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red Dead II Coming November 5th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Unbelievable news. Loved it on Ps4 but as I barely turn on the console, be picking it up for PC.

Disappointed that its going to Epic first along with Rockstars platform, so I'll be hanging on until December when it comes out on Steam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

TheDoc wrote: »
    Unbelievable news. Loved it on Ps4 but as I barely turn on the console, be picking it up for PC.

Disappointed that its going to Epic first along with Rockstars platform, so I'll be hanging on until December when it comes out on Steam

Think it's also on Greenman Gaming, I've used them a good bit, never had an issue.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Any chance of the original coming?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TheDoc wrote: »

Why? Sure its only going to launch the rockstar launcher anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Great game, loved it on PS4, dunno if I could handle the long slog again but would be interested to see how good it looks and plays on the PC.

And yeah, for others may as wekk just get a rockstar key than an epic or steam key as will just launch their launcher anyway.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Maybe when it's on at least 50% sale. They're not getting rewarded for late releases on PC with a full price purchase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well GTA5 was a substantial upgrade on the PS3 and 360 version so maybe we will get a version that will be the basis for the inevitable next gen release. I'll wait and see what digital foundry say.

However I'll be waiting for a heavy discount because it's not a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »

PC gaming where you can never rule out buying a game even if you know it's not good :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    PC gaming where you can never rule out buying a game even if you know it's not good :pac: :pac:

My steam library is testament to that.

But I think it will also be a good graphics benchmark game.

In other words A PC gamer and his money are easily parted, even if a game is ****e :D

• Advertisement

I was going into this blind and planned to buy the game as soon as i heard about the PC version, retr0gamer has encouraged me to atleast research a bit beforehand :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Can you give a non-spoiler reason for what's wrong with it?

It's just not fun at all. It's so in love with the world it's created that it forgets to be fun. The world is technically amazing and gorgeous but the game actively wastes your time. Riding for ages between missions because there's no fast travel. Having to walk in your camp. And the missions aren't even well designed.

It's kind of like the opposite of BotW where every system in that game is useful and can be used in interesting ways. RDR2 has so much detail and attention to detail but none of it makes the game any fun and it actively makes the game worse in some respects.

It's an interesting game.... but also fails at being a fun game. Might be worth trying but don't be surprised if you find the game annoying after 10 hours. You might love it either but I didn't get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mods might remove some of the annoyances.

I also didn't think it was great either. Nowhere near as good as RDR.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, it's a 7/10 game at best. Far, far too much busy work to show off the (admittedly gorgeous) world they built. But it's just not fun having to go everywhere the long way on your horse (there's only fast travel from your camp and I didn't even realise that till I was halfway through the game). The story isn't bad, but it's not going to change your life. Then it's more busy work with collecting all the whatsits to complete challenges to increase your health or stamina and all that sort of nonsense which very quickly drives all the enjoyment out of it.

Mods might remove some of the annoyances.

this might make me get it on PC or I might see how cheap it goes on PS4 before buying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Minimum specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
    Memory: 8GB
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB HDD
    Space: 150GB
    Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Recommended specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
    Memory: 12GB
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
    HDD Space: 150GB
    Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Specs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

A list of what they say is improved for PC version:

-Increased draw distance

-"Higher quality" global illumination and ambient occlusion

-"Improved" snow trails

-"Improved" reflections and higher resolution shadows

-Tessellated tree textures

-"Improved" grass and fur textures

-HDR support

-Unlocked resolution (4K and higher)

-Ultrawide aspect ratio and multi-monitor support

-Unlocked framerate

Gee thanks for not locking the framerate and resoultion R*:pac:

Tbh GTA 5 still can look stunning on PC expect this to look decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,635 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys will preloads be available on Rockstar Games Launcher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys will preloads be available on Rockstar Games Launcher?

Available now. 109.5GB apparently :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Seems expensive, 60€ cheapest you can get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

KilOit wrote: »
    Seems expensive, 60€ cheapest you can get?

€50.69 on CDKeys

ElNino wrote: »
    Available now. 109.5GB apparently :(

109GB!!! They downloading the actual wild west!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

That's not remotely shocking, is it, for such an open world game? Just downloaded the new Call of Duty the other day and it's 110GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

ARK is 150 Gigs without the expansions, pretty normal for releases to be on the heavy side now. Sucks if you're on limited data.

4k textures seem to be the main culprit - that and trends in software to be less concerned about making it all fit on a physical medium. But yea, no one should be shocked at 100GB+ for AAA games anymore :)

Guys is this available for anyone now?

I'm on the rockstar launcher and it says the game can be played but you try it and crashes the app

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Reddit says to disable AV and Firewall

made no difference.

Alot of people have already done that and made no difference

I'm lucky to get 200 kb/s in my place tethering through my mobile. Guess I'll have the game by Christmas 2020

3ffdmo.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Downloaded this today, played the opening hour or so.

Hard to say much about the gameplay so far because its very on rails at this point but no doubt that won't last for long. I was pulling off crack shots against fast moving wolves on horseback, so crack in fact I got suspicious and to my disgust they have an auto aim system on even with mouse and keyboard. Turned that off.

Production values are sky high. Excellent graphics overall, though I do think the snow deformation in the distance looks terrible and is rather distracting. Also noticed weird sudden screen darkening in certain indoor scenes.

Also have no idea how to enable HDR in game either. There doesn't seem to be setting for it.

Everything set to high settings except textures to max and AF to 16x. Seems to be holding a solid 60FPS at 1440p using the Vulkan API. No crashes so far.

want to bypass the Rockstar Launcher? Just rename rdr2.exe to gtav.exe

Skerries wrote: »
    want to bypass the Rockstar Launcher? Just rename rdr2.exe to gtav.exe

Does that actually work?

• Advertisement

according to a user over on Reddit for the moment until they probably patch it

Think ill pass on this, was initially hyped when i heard about it coming to PC but all i hear now is its too story driven with not much action or gameplay and is very slow paced?

When there's action to be had, it's pretty good, but it's broken up by endless hours of having to gallop every where on your horse and having to do timed button presses to get the horse to go as fast as possible. Then there's lots and lots and LOTS of busywork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm enjoying it so far, even with the busywork. I'm sure it'll get a bit annoying eventually, but it really feels immersive right now. I'm quite happy with a slower paced story right now...haven't been engrossed in one in a while.

Game runs really well, except for some serious stuttering at times, which is apparently related to me CPU maxing out. Trying a few fixes which makes it more bearable, but it's really frustrating at times.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it so far, even with the busywork. I'm sure it'll get a bit annoying eventually, but it really feels immersive right now. I'm quite happy with a slower paced story right now...haven't been engrossed in one in a while.

Game runs really well, except for some serious stuttering at times, which is apparently related to me CPU maxing out. Trying a few fixes which makes it more bearable, but it's really frustrating at times.

Try reducing V-sync to half. Fixed everything for me. Also, turn off motion blur.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

The snow deformation issue I mentioned is apparently a bug on the Radeon 5700XT GPU's with the latest drivers from AMD. Rolling back to 19.9.2 drivers apparently fixes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This may help those having issues running the game.

Venom wrote: »
    This may help those having issues running the game.

Umm Arkham Knight not worse?

Umm Arkham Knight not worse?

"2nd worse" isnt a great title for the outrage factor etc:

Tbh I doubt its even top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    "2nd worse" isnt a great title for the outrage factor etc:

Tbh I doubt its even top 10.
    I believe that is what the kids call "clickbait" these days.

But he is right

DO NOT PRE-ORDER!!

I'm enjoying the game. But does seem very button pressing heavy to pass the time on the way to missions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There is a cinematic camera that should allow you to set a way point,engage it and the horse should follow the path laid out on the map to the waypoint automatically

It doesnt always work the best though,least on console anyway. Id say half the time it messed up but least the other half took out the button tapping nonsense.

In fairness i just held the button aswell,only used tapping when i wanted to go as fast as possible to get away from something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm loving the game to be honest. I've lowered a few graphical settings, so only get very rare stuttering now, and it still looks great. Story so far has been good, with some really interesting characters. It does take a while to do anything, but just cruising around the map looking for random things to do is (currently) just what i'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RDR2 Optimizations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement