Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manor Street is an absolute mess after the clubs close

• 15-11-2019 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I was in town last Saturday. Witnessed guys abusing taxi drivers, kicking cars, jumping up on the bonnet and looking for a claim. Lads walking around with bloodied face and hands. It's absolutely appalling. Why can't there he something constructive about this area? It's a ****hole

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

I was in town last Saturday. Witnessed guys abusing taxi drivers, kicking cars, jumping up on the bonnet and looking for a claim. Lads walking around with bloodied face and hands. It's absolutely appalling. Why can't there he something constructive about this area? It's a ****hole

6 days it took you to write that. a very traumatic experience for you was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Didn't you already post this in the nightlife thread? Not sure it's deserving of its own like. Inner city street is dodgy after night clubs finish on a Saturday is hardly earth shattering news.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Gardner wrote: »

Does it matter how long? It's still a disgrace. It seems nobody is willing to anything. Taxi meb shouldn't be getting threatened

And you think this is acceptable? Should we sit on our hands or let these scum **** about it

Typical Waterford. People tolerating violence and nobody willing to do **** all about it. We could perhaps change the opening hours. Oh but no way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

Typical Waterford. People tolerating violence and nobody willing to do **** all about it. We could perhaps change the opening hours. Oh but no way.

You must live under several rocks if you think what you saw is anything out of the ordinary after closing time in Ireland these days. It is your attitude, that there is something particular wrong with Waterford, which is typical Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

BBM77 wrote: »
    You must live under several rocks if you think what you saw is anything out of the ordinary after closing time in Ireland these days. It is your attitude, that there is something particular wrong with Waterford, which is typical Waterford.

This kind of behavior is not unique to w’ford or indeed this point in time, 20 years ago and more the same kind of degenerate regarded behaviour was just as common......not a lot had changed......is the OP trying to suggest that Waterford is more of a ‘war zone’ at 2am than other urban areas...? Most likely he/she is?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    This kind of behavior is not unique to w’ford or indeed this point in time, 20 years ago and more the same kind of degenerate regarded behaviour was just as common......not a lot had changed......is the OP trying to suggest that Waterford is more of a ‘war zone’ at 2am than other urban areas...? Most likely he/she is?

It doesn't help that all the main night clubs are in exactly the same place and close at the exact time

Let's see you deal with scumbags. You'd probably cower up like a little bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Let's see you deal with scumbags. You'd probably cower up like a little bitch

Ooh, a tough guy. Same guy who does nothing and comes on a chat forum to moan. Tough as a jockeys bollox this lad.

• Advertisement

• Taxi drivers illegally parking in the bike lanes on Manor Street is not helping the situation at all.

I used to live on Manor Street and the taxi drivers used to use the bike lane outside my house as an unofficial taxi rank and they would constantly beep their horns until 3 or 4 am in the morning, which kept residents of Manor Street awake.

I lived on Manor Street for 10 years but thankfully I moved last year and never looked back. Over the 10 years I have been physically threatened on multiple occasions when simply walking form my car to my house, had my car damaged annually (sometimes multiple times per year), had my door kicked in, window broke, witnessed people getting very badly beaten up (witnessed guards ignoring the beating)……. And the list goes on.

Manor Street is like the wild west after 10pm every night of the week.

Taxi drivers illegally parking in the bike lanes on Manor Street is not helping the situation at all.

I used to live on Manor Street and the taxi drivers used to use the bike lane outside my house as an unofficial taxi rank and they would constantly beep their horns until 3 or 4 am in the morning, which kept residents of Manor Street awake.

I lived on Manor Street for 10 years but thankfully I moved last year and never looked back. Over the 10 years I have been physically threatened on multiple occasions when simply walking form my car to my house, had my car damaged annually (sometimes multiple times per year), had my door kicked in, window broke, witnessed people getting very badly beaten up (witnessed guards ignoring the beating)……. And the list goes on.

Manor Street is like the wild west after 10pm every night of the week.

I agree and it seems anybody who speaks against it gets dealt with a dour dose of "Ah shur have you seen anywhere else" it really doesn't help that the night life in Waterford is basically condensed to the one area all operating on the same opening times it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Would you say that victim complex has been a help or a hindrance in general over the course of your life to date?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Would you say that victim complex has been a help or a hindrance in general over the course of your life to date?

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yes, it is a disgrace.

Look up 'Give us the night' run by sunil Sharpe and central arts among others in ireland.

Trying to get polices and legislations in relation to opening/closing times for bars, and nightclubs amended to match other European cities.

Then we most likely wouldn't have this problem, as you're not getting everyone out the door in the one area at the same time. Everybody looking for a taxi in the same area, getting narky waiting, starting fights, up to no good.

Would you say that victim complex has been a help or a hindrance in general over the course of your life to date?

Are you having a laugh?, complaining about anti-social behaviour now gives me now a victim complex? I came on here talking about anti-social behaviour and I get attacked for. There needs to be a long term solution to what's going on in John Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Are you having a laugh?, complaining about anti-social behaviour now gives me now a victim complex? I came on here talking about anti-social behaviour and I get attacked for. There needs to be a long term solution to what's going on in John Street.

There d be aresholes on the Internets to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

It’s the same in every town and city, it’s not specific to Waterford. Do you go for walks at 2AM or something? No one is forcing taxi drivers to pick up drunk people. Would you be happy with a couple of more cops around?

2pacshakur wrote: »
    It’s the same in every town and city, it’s not specific to Waterford. Do you go for walks at 2AM or something? No one is forcing taxi drivers to pick up drunk people. Would you be happy with a couple of more cops around?

I never said it was specific to Waterford. I'm saying the current system and layout is totally inadequate though. It doesn't help that everything is in the one area and clubs close at the exact same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I've been living in Dublin for a few years and it seems to feel safer on nights out. You don't tend to see the type of brawls you'd see in other places like Waterford. I'm sure people will have had bad experiences there but I can only go on my own.

I would count Temple Bar as an exception to the rule as its a totally different setup there with tourists and stag/hen parties.

It definitely helps to have the staggered closing hours. Streets like Camden St and Harcourt St also have a huge concentration of bars, nightclubs, hotels, restaurants and take-aways - so much so that you'll get traffic jams of taxis at certain hours of the evening.

However there is definitely more of a flow of people coming and going, as opposed to everyone trying to go home at the same time. The availability of the Luas until 00.30 and the Nightlink buses also help a little in terms of taking the pressure off taxis.

• Advertisement

Last year my mother was picking up one of my siblings, and two guys tried to get into her parked car on Parnell St near the junction. Luckily she locked her doors, but it was fairly unsettling for her.

A few months previously another sibling was driving home from work after midnight in that area, where a number of guys tried to flag him down like a taxi and then started slapping his bonnet while he waited at the lights.

I never said it was specific to Waterford. I'm saying the current system and layout is totally inadequate though. It doesn't help that everything is in the one area and clubs close at the exact same time.

How is it? You can't tell pubs and clubs to close early if they have the license. I know Waterford has a student population so perhaps a bit worse there. Even if they do close early people will just start drinking earlier and the same thing will happen.

What your looking for is an outright closure or ban on alcohol which is never going to happen.

There is no solution.

How is it? You can't tell pubs and clubs to close early if they have the license. I know Waterford has a student population so perhaps a bit worse there. Even if they do close early people will just start drinking earlier and the same thing will happen.

What your looking for is an outright closure or ban on alcohol which is never going to happen.

There is no solution.

In Dublin you'll find a lot of venues that are open to 4-5. I think they get around it as they're also hotels.

hardybuck wrote: »
    In Dublin you'll find a lot of venues that are open to 4-5. I think they get around it as they're also hotels.

True, I think friendlyfun is living in lala land with the teletubbies.

Kilkenny has 25 pubs all within walking distance of each other. I pity the OP living there.

I heard if you cover yourself in tinfoil OP or you get a bodyguard OP it might solve your issues with drunk people.

I'd say city life is not for you, might want to move out the country.

Kilkenny has 25 pubs all within walking distance of each other. I pity the OP living there.

I heard if you cover yourself in tinfoil OP or you get a bodyguard OP it might solve your issues with drunk people.

I don't think you're being quite fair there. The place has been quite unsafe for a while. We're discussion potential solutions.

Besides the cheap shots and sarcasm do you have actually have any solutions?

Btw thought it was cover yourself in bubble wrap not tinfoil? Tinfoil would seem rather counterintuitive.

Besides the cheap shots and sarcasm do you have actually have any solutions?

Btw thought it was cover yourself in bubble wrap not tinfoil? Tinfoil would seem rather counterintuitive.

No, because you can't shut down pubs just cause there's a little disturbance on the street. If people don't like it stay away.

Is there actually any benefit to you if the street was quite at two in the morning? I actually think there isn't.

Tinfoil is the new 5G thing.

• 2pacshakur wrote: »
    1. No, because you can't shut down pubs just cause there's a little disturbance on the street. If people don't like it stay away.

2. Is there actually any benefit to you if the street was quite at two in the morning? I actually think there isn't.

Tinfoil is the new 5G thing.

Answer to question 1: What about the people who live in these streets?

Answer to question 2: There is elderly people/ people with kids living on Manor street and John street, should they have to deal with dumb ass drunks causing trouble?

• 2pacshakur wrote: »

There is no solution.

People literally described the solution earlier in this thread. :p:p

The solution is to have staggered closing hours, throwing everyone out onto the at street 2am is stupid. The solution is have certain pubs close at different times or just have no closing times at all.

Plenty of countries in Europe have staggered opening hours or no closing times at all and they don't have the issues that we have in Ireland at closing times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There is absolutely no hope of staggered closing hours happening any time soon. Especially with the current regime in the Garda Station...Unless bars start volunteering to close at 9pm

Advertisement