Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Irish Gigs (Rumoured & Confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Duffy98 wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais appearing on Graham Norton tomorrow , he might be going on to announce a tour just before xmas cause he said next year he was going to go on another tour and MCD have been promoting his stuff the odd time, could be wrong though

so sorry to say I can't stand this guy or Keith Lemon.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ricky Gervais appearing on Graham Norton tomorrow , he might be going on to announce a tour just before xmas cause he said next year he was going to go on another tour and MCD have been promoting his stuff the odd time, could be wrong though

He is down to host an awards show again and also a second series of Afterlife

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The Killers - Malahide Castle, June 16 2020.

+ Sam Fender.

Tickets on sale next Friday.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

greenspurs wrote: »
    The Killers - Malahide Castle, June 16 2020.

+ Sam Fender.

Tickets on sale next Friday.
    Shame its not on a weekend a tuesday evening is a bit of a pain thats a solid lineup though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ireland always seems to get midweek gigs for big tours. Probably playing a few gigs in UK though so likely they get the Friday/Saturday gigs

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Ireland always seems to get midweek gigs for big tours. Probably playing a few gigs in UK though so likely they get the Friday/Saturday gigs
    A lot of the time were used as warm up gigs for festivals so thats why that happens , a lot of the festivals are on weekends so they do a quick mid week gig here to warm up. Cant go to it unfortunately way too awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

oh I was excited til I realised it's a Tuesday, not going to even try TBH it would be a logistical nightmare with children in school. As it is I'll be pushing my luck going to Hella Mega on the 29th.

julyjane wrote: »
    oh I was excited til I realised it's a Tuesday, not going to even try TBH it would be a logistical nightmare with children in school. As it is I'll be pushing my luck going to Hella Mega on the 29th.
    Ive no idea what they were thinking putting it on a tuesday theyll probably do what they always do put the awkward date on sale first and when they sell it out put up the "phenomenal demand" line and put up another date thats more reasonable they do it all the time and the malahide gigs start at 4:30pm as well whos going to be able to go to it other than students

Ive no idea what they were thinking putting it on a tuesday theyll probably do what they always do put the awkward date on sale first and when they sell it out put up the "phenomenal demand" line and put up another date thats more reasonable they do it all the time and the malahide gigs start at 4:30pm as well whos going to be able to go to it other than students

Was thinking that but looks like they are in UK the Saturday before it so doesn't seem to be an option. Midweek gigs out in Malahide awkward enough for people in Dublin, nevermind anyone hoping to travel up for it! https://mobile.twitter.com/RicohArena/status/1195257330910322688

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Malahide has midweek gigs every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

not really:

IMG_20191115_083523.thumb.jpg.eb7a658866b977136938838352acfcff.jpg

5 days out of 7 in the week aren't Friday/Saturday, someone has to get them...

This was brought up before, but there's plenty of weekend gigs here too.

Most of the Malahide gigs last year were on a Friday/Saturday:

- The Cure and Snow Patrol the first weekend
    - 2 Mumford & Sons gigs the next
    - Lana Del Rey the following Saturday.
    - the only one last year stuck on a "school night" was Noel Gallagher, and he was the Sunday of the Mumford gigs.

2018:

- Kodaline and Gorillaz played Friday/Saturday the first weekend.
    - Liam Gallagher the next Friday, Chic on Saturday (same weekend as The National played Friday/Saturday in Donnybrook, and Taylor Swift played Friday/Saturday in Croke Park).
    - only "school night" gig was LCD Soundsystem on a Tuesday.

it's just simple maths that most gigs won't be on a weekend night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Would love go see The Killers again but im due a baby in early May so think I'll have to give this one a skip, plus Malahide UGH hassle....

not really:

IMG_20191115_083523.thumb.jpg.eb7a658866b977136938838352acfcff.jpg

5 days out of 7 in the week aren't Friday/Saturday, someone has to get them...

This was brought up before, but there's plenty of weekend gigs here too.

Most of the Malahide gigs last year were on a Friday/Saturday:

- The Cure and Snow Patrol the first weekend
    - 2 Mumford & Sons gigs the next
    - Lana Del Rey the following Saturday.
    - the only one last year stuck on a "school night" was Noel Gallagher, and he was the Sunday of the Mumford gigs.

2018:

- Kodaline and Gorillaz played Friday/Saturday the first weekend.
    - Liam Gallagher the next Friday, Chic on Saturday (same weekend as The National played Friday/Saturday in Donnybrook, and Taylor Swift played Friday/Saturday in Croke Park).
    - only "school night" gig was LCD Soundsystem on a Tuesday.

it's just simple maths that most gigs won't be on a weekend night.

That's just Malahide though, I think accross the board with Olympia, Vicar Street, Three Arena etc because we are a smaller market we do seen to get more midweek gigs. Get logistics reasons for it and as you say most days aren't weekends but still think on whole we do. Would be interesting to see if anyone has done stats on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

That's just Malahide though, I think accross the board with Olympia, Vicar Street, Three Arena etc because we are a smaller market we do seen to get more midweek gigs. Get logistics reasons for it and as you say most days aren't weekends but still think on whole we do. Would be interesting to see if anyone has done stats on it

I go to see Snow Patrol whenever they play Dublin.
    Since May 2018 they've had Olympia on a Tue, 3 Arena on a Tue, Malahide on a Friday and they are in the Olympia again on a Tue later this month.

I do remember The Killers RDS gig was midweek - I dont know what day from memory I just know I had to take a half day to go, and their 3 Arena gig was also midweek

My working situation has changed and I live in "the country" so my gig going is a lot less now, fairly restricted to weekend gigs, unless its someone I REALLY want to see in which case I will take leave

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Would love go see The Killers again but im due a baby in early May so think I'll have to give this one a skip, plus Malahide UGH hassle....

Well its not really The Killers anymore is it ?
    Dave and Mark no longer tour .

The new album seems to be just Brandon and Ronnie ,much like the last one.
    Dave seems to have been cut out of the band and Mark has almost no input either.

Its no longer The Killers as such ,its two of the original lineup .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Well its not really The Killers anymore is it ?
    Dave and Mark no longer tour .

The new album seems to be just Brandon and Ronnie ,much like the last one.
    Dave seems to have been cut out of the band and Mark has almost no input either.

Its no longer The Killers as such ,its two of the original lineup .

Yeah it's ssentially Brandon Flowers with special guest drummer. Playing little or no Brandon Flowers songs. :D

I think Dave played Dublin a few months ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

For the fun of it, I went through all my Dublin gigs going back to November 2009. I figured ten years would be a good amount of time to cover. This would represent a good cross-section of venues too, though the majority (44 shows) were in the O2/3Arena. Only 8 of those 44 were Saturdays, including - amazingly - two in a row, Depeche Mode and Sigur Rós, November 2013.

22 out of my 123 shows were on Saturdays. That's a better average than some might think.

Sunday 11 (2 x 3Arena)
    Monday 16 (4 x 3Arena)
    Tuesday 17 (7 x 3Arena)
    Wednesday 19 (8 x 3Arena)
    Thursday 20 (8 x 3Arena)
    Friday 19 (7 x 3Arena)
    Saturday 22 (8 x 3Arena)

In terms of "big" shows, Dublin has actually done okay. Lana Del Rey and The Cure in Malahide (already mentioned in relation to this topic) were both on a Saturday. The first Eagles 3Arena show this year, The The in Iveagh Gardens, Billy Joel in the Aviva, Taylor Swift and U2 (Joshua Tree Tour), both in Croke Park.
    3Arena: Queen + Adam Lambert, Jeff Lynne's ELO in 2016 (admittedly postponed eight days from a Friday to a Saturday), Biffy Clyro in 2016, Fleetwood Mac in 2015, the aforementioned Depeche Mode and Sigur Rós in 2013.
    If you start adding in Fridays (Eddie Vedder, Mark Knopfler, John Fogerty, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen), and Sundays (Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen), it's not half bad either.
    Likewise, Vicar Street/Olympia level acts that have avoided midweek scheduling since 2009: Jason Isbell, John Grant, Tori Amos, Sharon Van Etten, The National, Suede, Regina Spektor, St. Vincent, Grizzly Bear, Ben Folds.
    Sure, you can't please all the people all the time, but I don't think it's as bad as some might think. As it happens, four of the eight gigs I've booked for next year (Isobel Campbell, Lionel Richie, Pixies and Elton John) are on Saturdays.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Nal wrote: »
    source.gif

Correction: Card carrying concert nerd.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

For the fun of it, I went through all my Dublin gigs going back to November 2009. I figured ten years would be a good amount of time to cover. This would represent a good cross-section of venues too, though the majority (44 shows) were in the O2/3Arena. Only 8 of those 44 were Saturdays, including - amazingly - two in a row, Depeche Mode and Sigur RNovember 2013.

22 out of my 123 shows were on Saturdays. That's a better average than some might think.

Sunday 11 (2 x 3Arena)
    Monday 16 (4 x 3Arena)
    Tuesday 17 (7 x 3Arena)
    Thursday 20 (8 x 3Arena)
    Friday 19 (7 x 3Arena)
    Saturday 22 (8 x 3Arena)

In terms of "big" shows, Dublin has actually done okay. Lana Del Rey and The Cure in Malahide (already mentioned in relation to this topic) were both on a Saturday. The first Eagles 3Arena show this year, The The in Iveagh Gardens, Billy Joel in the Aviva, Taylor Swift and U2 (Joshua Tree Tour), both in Croke Park.
    3Arena: Queen + Adam Lambert, Jeff Lynne's ELO in 2016 (admittedly postponed eight days from a Friday to a Saturday), Biffy Clyro in 2016, Fleetwood Mac in 2015, the aforementioned Depeche Mode and Sigur Rn 2013.
    If you start adding in Fridays (Eddie Vedder, Mark Knopfler, John Fogerty, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen), and Sundays (Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen), it's not half bad either.
    Likewise, Vicar Street/Olympia level acts that have avoided midweek scheduling since 2009: Jason Isbell, John Grant, Tori Amos, Sharon Van Etten, The National, Suede, Regina Spektor, St. Vincent, Grizzly Bear, Ben Folds.
    Sure, you can't please all the people all the time, but I don't think it's as bad as some might think. As it happens, four of the eight gigs I've booked for next year (Isobel Campbell, Lionel Richie, Pixies and Elton John) are on Saturdays.

What about the fact that you are more likely to attend a gig if it's on a Saturday, than, say a Monday?
    That's surely a factor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

For the fun of it, I went through all my Dublin gigs going back to November 2009. I figured ten years would be a good amount of time to cover. This would represent a good cross-section of venues too, though the majority (44 shows) were in the O2/3Arena. Only 8 of those 44 were Saturdays, including - amazingly - two in a row, Depeche Mode and Sigur Rós, November 2013.

Sunday 11 (2 x 3Arena)
    Monday 16 (4 x 3Arena)
    Tuesday 17 (7 x 3Arena)
    Thursday 20 (8 x 3Arena)
    Friday 19 (7 x 3Arena)
    Saturday 22 (8 x 3Arena)

3Arena: Queen + Adam Lambert, Jeff Lynne's ELO in 2016 (admittedly postponed eight days from a Friday to a Saturday), Biffy Clyro in 2016, Fleetwood Mac in 2015, the aforementioned Depeche Mode and Sigur Rós in 2013.

This is like an event junkies wet dream

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Most bands make an absolute fortune from playing gigs here. Ireland is certainly not an afterthought for larger bands

Coldplay's Head Full of Dreams tour made the most revenue for a single gig in Dublin from Croke Park. And they toured an inordinate amount of massive venues in nearly every continent.

Most bands make an absolute fortune from playing gigs here. Ireland is certainly not an afterthought for larger bands

Coldplay's Head Full of Dreams tour made the most revenue for a single gig in Dublin from Croke Park. And they toured an inordinate amount of massive venues in nearly every continent.

Don't think the 2 are mutually exclusive though. I think Ireland is good for gig going. Could be perception that people will go to gigs no matter what day of the week they're on. It's not really a negative thing either way. Was more an observation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Dublin is without doubt one of busiest markets for concerts in Europe .
    The 3Arena was the 12th busiest arena in the World last year ,the 5th in Europe .
    Its probably the second highest grossing venue in Europe after the O2 due to the high ticket prices here.

https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/...Venues_702.pdf

The reason there are so many midweek gigs is because it is a strong market not the opposite way around.

Chemical brothers June 30th Independent Park Cork , thats more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭klose

Another midweek gig, Tuesday to be precise. Already going to two weekday gigs this year I'll have no holidays left in work at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The day after the Green Day/Weezer/Fallout Boy gig in Dublin. :(

I really wanna go but I'm not sure I could manage it after the night in Dublin the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Confidence Man. Button Factory. Saturday April 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

James Blunt playing the Iveagh Gardens. Sunday 12th July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I doubt they would sell out the Marquee at this stage nevermind Independent Park.

Advertisement