Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers)

• 30-07-2019 2:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Eggers' follow-up after "The Witch", looks to be another archaic piece, albeit a cinematic one. Black & White with a 4:3 ratio, and a very punchy, effective trailer:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

This has been my most anticipated film ever since I saw the first image. I will not be watching that trailer. No need.

The Witch was a seriously impressive debut. One of the best and highest quality debut films I can think of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's little in the trailer that spoils the story, and honestly, it's a little surreal short film in its own right IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Been looking forward to this for a long time now.

Any hint of when it may be arriving?

Edit: See that it's released in the States in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think that The Witch was so, so good as a debut, that Eggers automatically has me on board for his next 2 or 3 movies.

Granted, I said the same thing about Richard Kelly. That didn't go so well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

New trailer out, one that's almost as surreal and abstract as the last one; though the whole "what?" sequence had me laughing rather than unnerved - that may not have been the desired reaction :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I must see if that is coming out soon in the big screen ?

I love really quirky intriguing movie's and cleverly scripted movie's in keeping with its time period.

He's very clever with his research and keeping it as close to realism

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nthclare wrote: »
    I must see if that is coming out soon in the big screen ?

Wide release scheduled for January at the moment.

Desperately trying to avoid everything about this.

Although I did read something interesting on twitter about trained seagulls and how they're illegal. Apparently they used trained seagull from before the ban as a loop hole.

That's it from me, see you in January :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LGadd14

https://lighthousecinema.ie//showing/showing-53170
    Screening two months ahead of its Irish release on November 30th featuring a Q&A with Eggers, in the Lighthouse of course.

LGadd14 wrote: »
    https://lighthousecinema.ie//showing/showing-53170
    Screening two months ahead of its Irish release on November 30th featuring a Q&A with Eggers, in the Lighthouse of course.

Any idea if they're doing anything in London?

This has been my most anticipated film since I first saw the poster. I have avoided all trailers. I cannot wait to see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 LGadd14

El Duda wrote: »
    Any idea if they're doing anything in London?

This has been my most anticipated film since I first saw the poster. I have avoided all trailers. I cannot wait to see this.

I know it screened at the London Film Festival last month but I'd imagine there will be further advance showings in the run-up to its release. I wouldn't be surprised if Odeon show it as a Screen Unseen for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had been trying to convince myself not to go down to Cork on Saturday just to watch this, so a screening with Eggers himself at the Light House (The Lighthouse at The Light House!) is precisely the thing I needed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Managed to catch their announcement tweet 40mins after it was posted whilst still disembarking from a plane, literally dropped everything to grab tickets. Glad I did too, sold out within 4hrs. Cannot bloody wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Got tickets to go see it this Saturday of part of the Cork film festival.
    Probably the movie I'm most looking forward to seeing this week, so can't wait.

Well, that was certainly a unique viewing experience.
    The feeling of isolation was palpable coupled with the cinematography & the decision to film it in black and white. Quite something to behold.
    I may need to see it again to make proper sense of it or just to get a better understanding of it, but certainly a movie that will stick long in the memory.

BTW, A lot more humour in this then what I was expecting, which was a bit of a surprise given the overall tone of the film.

How accessible is it for a casual viewer? Wouldn't mind seeing this but my patience for something this eccentric would be higher than the OP, so don't want to drag her to something she'd find too impenetrable...

pixelburp wrote: »
    How accessible is it for a casual viewer? Wouldn't mind seeing this but my patience for something this eccentric would be higher than the OP, so don't want to drag her to something she'd find too impenetrable...

It's certainly wouldn't be to everyone's taste, that's for sure. It's different than your conventional drama or rom-com etc, so hard to know what she would make of it.

Lionbacker wrote: »
    It's certainly wouldn't be to everyone's taste, that's for sure. It's different than your conventional drama or rom-com etc, so hard to know what she would make of it.

She's not the romcom type, think she'd thump you for that, more just wondering how esoteric the film is. Fair to say that from its promotions it hews close to art house, am curious how intractable or accessable it is - compared with The Vvitch, for example.

pixelburp wrote: »
    She's not the romcom type, think she'd thump you for that, more just wondering how esoteric the film is. Fair to say that from its promotions it hews close to art house, am curious how intractable or accessable it is - compared with The Vvitch, for example.

It's easy enough to understand & follow but obviously there's deeper meaning or message that may go unnoticed by the casual viewer if that's what your asking.
    May be a hard watch compared to big budget movies, if that's what's she's used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mortissimo

does anyone know where to get tickets for the 30th Nov? as in, if someone who bought them can't attend o wants to resell them.

I've been checking for screenings in Dublin for months but I wasn't on Twitter and I just realised about the screening with Robert Eggers.

• Advertisement

Thoroughly dug this, with the disclaimer that it does get a bit repetitious as it veers madly towards its wild conclusion.

Pitched somewhere between Hard to Be a God, The Turin Horse and The Witch but also very funny, it is a monochrome hand grenade made of brine, piss, blood and assorted other bodily fluids (channelling the spirit of HTBAG capably in that respect). Great care has been put into making the framing aesthetically pleasing but also always off centre and a l’il weird. Perfect fit for the aspect ratio, with some monstrously intense close-ups. Eggers scatters the phantasmorigical moments and more explosive outbursts carefully for maximum impact. Deeply appreciate the soundtrack blasting us with a persistently loud foghorn every couple of seconds for the first act to get us in the mood.

It’s all on the two lads, to be fair, and they’re both the best. Defoe has the strongest material, somehow ensuring his piratey, sea shanty-style dialogue makes perfect sense within the world - he reads these outrageous lines like a dream, while also capable of raising a laugh or chill through some mad glare at the camera. Pattinson once again proves himself one of Hollywood’s youngest MVPs, capably matching and arguably even surprising the crazed intensity of his more experienced counterpart - there’s some bits where he rambles into incoherence, and I was there for it. Together they soar, and they both put themselves through admirable levels of physical humiliation in the pursuit of this ludicrous vision.

As alluded to at the start, I did feel the momentum isn’t consistent: there is only so many times the ‘working day -> crazy bender -> manic outburst -> weird ****’ formula can be used in a single film without settling into a familiar rhythm. It’s a good formula, mind you, but the tricks become clear early and what you’re left with is escalation. Again: good escalation, but couldn’t shake the feeling there was a slightly tighter edit waiting to pounce. And I might need a second viewing to parse some of the denser shanty dialogue.

But it’s overall a loving cinematic hymn to sea madness and bat**** insanity. Eggers is a smart guy, and great to hear him afterwards espouse on the sheer attention to detail put into the development and production - he draws from a premium well of history, filmic and otherwise.

In short: The Lighthouse is the buddy comedy of the year, while also being a great body / psychological horror film, while also farting (literally - these two chaps start letting them off within seconds) in the direction of easy genre classifications. Recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Still gathering my thoughts but overall it more than exceeded my expectations. I'm already clamoring for a rewatch - January 31st can't come fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

This movie is incredible, best I've seen in a long long time. Dafoe is mesmerising, a must watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

A fine movie, but it does require your undevoted attention. Distrubing and unsettling with some stunning imagery. Magnificent performances from Pattison and Dafoe. While I prefered The Witch, they're not at all comparable.

This has been my most anticipated film for a long time now. Sod Avengers/Star Wars etc... This is the one that has had me counting down the days. It's out on Friday...

There are no f--king cinemas showing it anywhere near me. I have a choice of Leamington Spa, Oxford, High Wycombe, Aylesbury, B'ham and can't find sod all atm. Soho Curzon is the closest and that's about 90 miles from me.

Plenty of Bad Boys 3 screenings though. FML. Modern cinema sucks balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

El Duda wrote: »
    This has been my most anticipated film for a long time now. Sod Avengers/Star Wars etc... This is the one that has had me counting down the days. It's out on Friday...

There are no f--king cinemas showing it anywhere near me. I have a choice of Leamington Spa, Oxford, High Wycombe, Aylesbury, B'ham and can't find sod all atm. Soho Curzon is the closest and that's about 90 miles from me.

Plenty of Bad Boys 3 screenings though. FML. Modern cinema sucks balls.

I'm in Manchester myself and saw an ad for it up in my local Vue cinema recently. Theres a page for it on their website as it stands https://www.myvue.com/film/the-lighthouse albeit, no screen times yet for a lot of places but seems there is for London Finchley Road, Islington, Shepards Bush and Westfield Stratford.

Booked myself a ticket at Birmingham electric cinema on Saturday evening. Seems like an appropriate venue to see this type of film.

Fingers crossed it lives up to the hype. I'm expecting something very special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Brilliant stuff, must be seen in the cinema for the sound alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Just finished it and I absolutely loved it. Thank god there are films like this being made. Very different to what most people's idea of a film should be, but just an exceptional piece of art.

I love how Eggers films don't spoonfeed you and leave things open to interpretation, and he uses darkness and light so well. The shots in this film are phenomenal the way the camera moves around the set was excellently done. Both this and the Witcher' eerie final scenes, despite being very different, felt similar in a way.

Looking at the best picture odds on paddypower i see 1917 is favored heavily for best cinematography. IMO thats a joke The Lighthouse should be winning that category easily. It looked so much like an old film while still keeping a contemporary feel, from the ratio to whatever lenses they used, the lighting, everything looked amazing, the sound was phenomenal too.

• Advertisement

Just seen it.

Blown away tbh. Completely agree with all praise in this thread. ^

The Oscar's have got everything so so wrong from what I've seen so far.

Advertisement