Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My friend's long term girlfriend aborted their child without consulting him first.

Options
  • 16-11-2019 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

My friend and his partner were trying for a child for several months, he has a low sperm count but they continued trying before committing to expensive and time consuming IVF treatment. Fortunately they were successful.

My friend was over the moon and ecstatic that he was going to be a dad because he thought they wouldn't make it. In addition to the wonderful news, his partner was offered a hard earned promotion at work in the weeks following.

I was out with him the other night and I noticed he was unsettled, like something was on his mind but wouldn't really talk about it . After a few drinks he became visibly upset and explained that his partner decided to have an abortion and only told him about it after the event and never consulted him beforehand.

Her reasoning was that since she was offered the new job, she didn't want to go on maternity leave so soon. She was subject to one years probation and was "scared that her maternity leave and pregnancy would jeopardise her probation".

He is gutted and I am appalled that she or any woman would have an abortion without at least consulting the father. My friend is devastated but his partner seems completely unapologetic and appears to have the attitude that it's "none of his business" and "It was my decision to make"

They were living together for 4 years, renting an apartment. He has moved out after a massive row and I have offered him to stay in my house.

Is this what Ireland voted for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

I know there are plenty of bad blokes out there who do some really bad stuff to women.

But I have heard some stories about what women have done to men and they can so cruel in other ways. How could she have done that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Awful smell of bull wafting off that post.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

OP’s posting history makes me doubt his sincerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

IVF costs about 5 grand does it not

No thread on here is ever true apparently, so nobody should ever bother posting anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

JizzBeans wrote: »

I voted for Girls Aloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

What subjects did you pick for your leaving OP,

How is 5th year treating you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I blame the teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

you nearly had me...nearly...but that last sentence...rooky mistake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Hypothetical scenario

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I blame the teachers.

I knew it was the teachers fault, even when it wasn’t I knew it was their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

AllForIt wrote: »
    Hypothetical scenario
    Well if it is a hypothetical scenario then it's really a question about the relationship between the woman and the man involved.

Little to do what we voted for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Calling utter bull**** on this post. They were spending thousands on IVF and she just went and had an abortion.

Get the **** out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,654 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So if she had consulted him and then decided to have an abortion, would that be IK?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

Well if it is a hypothetical scenario then it's really a question about the relationship between the woman and the man involved.

Little to do what we voted for.

Not quite so im afraid

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Calling utter bull**** on this post. They were spending thousands on IVF and she just went and had an abortion.

Get the **** out of it.

Before committing to IVF....please read post before commenting

So if she had consulted him and then decided to have an abortion, would that be IK?

Good question!

My friend and his partner were trying for a child for several months, he has a low sperm count but they continued trying before committing to expensive and time consuming IVF treatment. Fortunately they were successful.

My friend was over the moon and ecstatic that he was going to be a dad because he thought they wouldn't make it. In addition to the wonderful news, his partner was offered a hard earned promotion at work in the weeks following.

I was out with him the other night and I noticed he was unsettled, like something was on his mind but wouldn't really talk about it . After a few drinks he became visibly upset and explained that his partner decided to have an abortion and only told him about it after the event and never consulted him beforehand.

Her reasoning was that since she was offered the new job, she didn't want to go on maternity leave so soon. She was subject to one years probation and was "scared that her maternity leave and pregnancy would jeopardise her probation".

He is gutted and I am appalled that she or any woman would have an abortion without at least consulting the father. My friend is devastated but his partner seems completely unapologetic and appears to have the attitude that it's "none of his business" and "It was my decision to make"

They were living together for 4 years, renting an apartment. He has moved out after a massive row and I have offered him to stay in my house.

Lies.

What an awful story to make up, just for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    IVF costs about 5 grand does it not

Most likely quite a bit more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Get the **** out of it.

Yes it was the IVF part that raised the BS flag for me

Couples don't go through that lightly, it's a very big decision for a whole host of reasons and it's very expensive.

No one that has been through it would be just decide to have an abortion on a whim for a career move and then not tell their partner.

**Edit** Read the post again OP, you mentioned she got pregnant before IVF rather than after
    Still BS I reckon though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

mcgovern wrote: »
    Most likely quite a bit more than that.

Oh really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Get the **** out of it.

before committing to expensive and time consuming IVF treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,654 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good question!
    Would you like to answer? In your opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Awful smell of bull wafting off that post.
    Of course because women have a natural maternal instinct and would never do that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Something similar happened to an acquaintance of mine, though this was a few years ago well before the referendum.

Though in their case they hadn't been going out that long and the pregnancy was, I presume, unplanned.
    So a situation like the OPs isn't unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Absolute bullsh!t

Something similar happened to an acquaintance of mine, though this was a few years ago well before the referendum.

Though in their case they hadn't been going out that long and the pregnancy was, I presume, unplanned.
    So a situation like the OPs isn't unheard of.
    So not at all similar to the scéal in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

True story.lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I for one am outraged your imaginary friend's imaginary girlfriend aborted her imaginary child.

Advertisement