Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather station kit - expert opinion needed

• 04-10-2019 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a home weather station kit to put on my chimney on a 1.5m pole. I have network gear in the attic with a POE switch so can do POE if that's available. My budget is €200-300. I'd prefer to buy on Amazon but can do anywhere online really for a good deal. I have a Netatmo thermostat and see they do a weather station but have no idea if it's any good.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭tphase

personally I wouldn't attach anything to my chimney, certainly not a met station. It will get covered in soot from the fire and, even if you never light a fire, your readings will likely be affected by the updraught from the chimney
    I don't have any recommendations for specific devices but if you can find one the will do POE, then that is much preferable to one that runs off batteries or is wireless

https://www.weathershack.com/static/ed-weather-station-set-up.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not a good idea. First putting it at any height other than 2m or 10m will make it hard to compare the data with anywhere else

Then the chimney will affect all the measurements, temp and wind will be useless when chimney is in use.

Too close to a building, will affect temp

If anything goes wrong it will be a pain in the ass to check and fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Ok, thanks. I might just put it on the back of the house at the back of a lean-to just above gutter level. Can anyone suggest a decent kit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The Davis PRO 2 is totally separable . Ive my Anemometer on a 10m pole, rain bucket on the ground and the temperature sensor in a screen.

• Advertisement

I finally bit the bullet and ordered this on Amazon.de today. It's currently £129 on the UK site but only €99 on .de with 13.65 shipping

Waldbeck Halley Profi-Wetterstation - 6-in-1, 6 Messungen auf einen Blick, In- und Outdoor-Station, Wetterwarnungen, Live-Wetterdaten, punktgenaue Angaben, WiFi, App-kompatibel, schwarz https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07JN73RKW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aAeYDbB45SVC0

I finally bit the bullet and ordered this on Amazon.de today. It's currently £129 on the UK site but only €99 on .de with 13.65 shipping

Waldbeck Halley Profi-Wetterstation - 6-in-1, 6 Messungen auf einen Blick, In- und Outdoor-Station, Wetterwarnungen, Live-Wetterdaten, punktgenaue Angaben, WiFi, App-kompatibel, schwarz https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07JN73RKW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aAeYDbB45SVC0

Good luck with it!

Good luck with it!

Thanks, looking forward to getting it set up. Been reading up on it. It's a rebranded Fine Offset wh2650. It connects straight to 3 different online weather sites and there's an app you can use to connect to see the data.

http://www.foshk.com/Wifi_Weather_Station/WH2650.html

There's also a big community working on it and other weather stations. I can run an interceptor software that mimics the app and polls the weather station for the data that I can add to WeeWX to create my own database and website.

https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-interceptor/blob/master/readme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Have been spurred on by high horse I pressed the button on a bresser 5 in 1 from Amazon UK for £69 with free postage to Ireland.

Worked out at €80.
    Been looking at them the last 12 months and this is the best price I've seen.

How far from an obstruction should I set it up? How accurate are they at a distance?

Have been spurred on by high horse I pressed the button on a bresser 5 in 1 from Amazon UK for £69 with free postage to Ireland.

Worked out at €80.
    Been looking at them the last 12 months and this is the best price I've seen.

How far from an obstruction should I set it up? How accurate are they at a distance?

I looked at that bresser, bought it and cancelled it before it was dispatched. The issue for me is there is no way to get the weather data off the device and it doesn't update to any sites, just a wireless link back to a monitoring screen.

• Advertisement

I looked at that bresser, bought it and cancelled it before it was dispatched. The issue for me is there is no way to get the weather data off the device and it doesn't update to any sites, just a wireless link back to a monitoring screen.

Not a big issue for me as far as I know ;)

Not a big issue for me as far as I know ;)

Cool.

I thinking of putting mine on a 6m pole on the back wall of the garden with a t and k bracket

Cool.

I thinking of putting mine on a 6m pole on the back wall of the garden with a t and k bracket

I've a 40 foot hedge so may put it out in the field.

How far from an obstruction should I set it up?

What exactly do you want to know? Your conditions, or would you like to be able to compare it to other stations across the country?
    How accurate are they at a distance?
    could you clarify what you mean there? Do you mean how different are the conditions at some distance, compared to at your house? Or something to do with the devices?

What exactly do you want to know? Your conditions, or would you like to be able to compare it to other stations across the country?

could you clarify what you mean there? Do you mean how different are the conditions at some distance, compared to at your house? Or something to do with the devices?
    I'm not sure you read my actual questions. Nothing to do with seeing data from other stations.

Distance from wall/hedge and how far from the base station can weather station be ...but I suppose reading the instructions might give the answer :D

I'm not sure you read my actual questions. Nothing to do with seeing data from other stations.

Distance from wall/hedge and how far from the base station can weather station be ...but I suppose reading the instructions might give the answer :D

No I got it, I meant do you want to be able to compare your data to the weather stations from other people and/or Met Eireann? It's something to bear in mind for down the line. There are certain installation criteria and things to watch out for if you are.. but if your only interested in knowing how cold it is just outside your front door or what the wind is like at your chimney then the criteria are not needed.

How far from the base will be in the manual anyway, if you've got a big hedge though it might affect it, especially when wet

No I got it, I meant do you want to be able to compare your data to the weather stations from other people and/or Met Eireann? It's something to bear in mind for down the line. There are certain installation criteria and things to watch out for if you are.. but if your only interested in knowing how cold it is just outside your front door or what the wind is like at your chimney then the criteria are not needed.

How far from the base will be in the manual anyway, if you've got a big hedge though it might affect it, especially when wet

Comparing isn't an issue for now. At 80 euro I can afford to upgrade in future.

I've a 4.5 acre site on s mountain so assume staying clear of a hedge beside the back lawn will be worthwhile.
    I'm considering putting it on the chicken run but will need to bear in mind that the rainfall collector needs to be emptied .

Comparing isn't an issue for now. At 80 euro I can afford to upgrade in future.

I've a 4.5 acre site on s mountain so assume staying clear of a hedge beside the back lawn will be worthwhile.
    I'm considering putting it on the chicken run but will need to bear in mind that the rainfall collector needs to be emptied .
    Yeah definitely watch out for the hedge and house more than anything. Do you know which way the wind usually comes from? Keeping the above note on house and hedge in mind, try to set it up with as big a distance to obstacles as possible in this direction, while not going too close to smaller obstacles. I hope that doesn't sound too contradictory. Avoid the slope if you can.

Try to keep the temperature, humidity and wind speed at 2 metres high if you can, but if you put it on the chicken run then keep them a good bit above it, or away from the roof.

Don't want to sound too involved, but when you've made the investment, you might as well get the best data you can from it :)

Yeah definitely watch out for the hedge and house more than anything. Do you know which way the wind usually comes from? Keeping the above note on house and hedge in mind, try to set it up with as big a distance to obstacles as possible in this direction, while not going too close to smaller obstacles. I hope that doesn't sound too contradictory. Avoid the slope if you can.

Try to keep the temperature, humidity and wind speed at 2 metres high if you can, but if you put it on the chicken run then keep them a good bit above it, or away from the roof.

Don't want to sound too involved, but when you've made the investment, you might as well get the best data you can from it :)

I'm on a mountain, can't avoid slopes :)

I'm on a mountain, can't avoid slopes :)

I saw some photos of yours on another thread! That slope won't be an issue :)

From what I can see, keep it as far away from the hedges (somewhere near where you had the white plastic tunnels would be decent) and try to get it up higher than them and the houses infront of you

Just saw the chicken coop photo too, on top of that would work well, add a pole to get maybe a metre above it if you can

• Advertisement
Advertisement