Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strike is over. What happens now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

+1 on that assumption. Emerald green have gone very quiet of late, they were more active last back end but I haven't seen them at all this year. Having said that I haven't seen much exporter activity around the ring in recent weeks, what export markets are actively sourcing continental stock atm?
    To avoid confusion and I didn't mean to infer that one organisation was the same as the other. There is a difference between Emerald Isle Beef Producers and Emerald Green (livestock export company) that was put into liquidation a few years ago.

Emerald Isle Beef Producers group was set up recently by Eamonn Corley and other members of the Beef Plan organisation - the fellas who instigated the recent beef factory blockades.

Anyway notwithstanding the above, who pays for the cattle when they are collected from your yard. Many a farmer has been caught on the wrong side of the fence and has to represent cheques in the hope of payment and in some cases in order to establish a paper trail for future litigation.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/cattle-company-wound-up-in-high-court-184370

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/second-beef-producer-group-in-the-pipeline/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Base price wrote: »
    To avoid confusion and I didn't mean to infer that one organisation was the same as the other. There is a difference between Emerald Isle Beef Producers and Emerald Green (livestock export company) that was put into liquidation a few years ago.

Emerald Isle Beef Producers group was set up recently by Eamonn Corley and other members of the Beef Plan organisation - the fellas who instigated the recent beef factory blockades.

Anyway notwithstanding the above, who pays for the cattle when they are collected from your yard. Many a farmer has been caught on the wrong side of the fence and has to represent cheques in the hope of payment and in some cases in order to establish a paper trail for future litigation.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/cattle-company-wound-up-in-high-court-184370

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/second-beef-producer-group-in-the-pipeline/

Sorry my mistake, I had heard of Emerald Isle Beef Producer's but assumed when the export market was mentioned it was in reference to Emerald green. The issue of payment is still a valid concern and I don't know how it can be rectified. There's several different links in the chain as regards payment and once the stock are gone there's very little recourse available afterwards. As for the suggestion of using marts to guarantee payment there usually already carrying credit from stock bought within the mart and I don't know if taking on more risk is well advised. The mart isn't guaranteed there money either so it's only transferring the risk from one party to another as opposed to removing it.

Sorry my mistake, I had heard of Emerald Isle Beef Producer's but assumed when the export market was mentioned it was in reference to Emerald green. The issue of payment is still a valid concern and I don't know how it can be rectified. There's several different links in the chain as regards payment and once the stock are gone there's very little recourse available afterwards. As for the suggestion of using marts to guarantee payment there usually already carrying credit from stock bought within the mart and I don't know if taking on more risk is well advised. The mart isn't guaranteed there money either so it's only transferring the risk from one party to another as opposed to removing it.
    I remember reading a article within the last year or two where livestock marts have to have an amount of cash available in a contingency account (simular to solicitors and auctioneers) in order to pay vendors. I thought that it was covered in the recent Livestock Marts regulations, however I stand corrected.

I remember reading a article within the last year or two where livestock marts have to have an amount of cash available in a contingency account (simular to solicitors and auctioneers) in order to pay vendors. I thought that it was covered in the recent Livestock Marts regulations, however I stand corrected.

I've heard of that but I don't know if it's strictly enforced. As with everything there's regulation but the enforcement and day to day operation may differ. Without going into specifics and examples there seems to be a grey area around a lot of those regulations and they aren't always strictly implemented. I knew of one mart that was operating without a property services license until recently and may still be so. The mart business isn't always straight forward and seems to attract more than it's fair share of "chancers".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agree that payment is a worry, it always is. It would add a cost but could POs have a bond types cover?
    The sale of the Italian destined heifers is through the Emerald Isle Producer Group, I think, at least initial contact is through them.

• Advertisement

I've heard of that but I don't know if it's strictly enforced. As with everything there's regulation but the enforcement and day to day operation may differ. Without going into specifics and examples there seems to be a grey area around a lot of those regulations and they aren't always strictly implemented. I knew of one mart that was operating without a property services license until recently and may still be so. The mart business isn't always straight forward and seems to attract more than it's fair share of "chancers".
    Mmm...
    TBH I thought from what I read that it was clear and cut legislation but from your above comment it maybe not as clear as I thought. Feck it :mad:

Mmm...
    TBH I thought from what I read that it was clear and cut legislation but from your above comment it maybe not as clear as I thought. Feck it :mad:

Maybe it is, I'm not that well up on the matter but from my experience in the mart business there's always some special circumstances at play. Bond cover may also be an option again I'm far from an expert on the matter. Live exports are a volatile business and are prone to failure due to global factor's that are often outside of our control. I think it would open a lot of people's eyes if they saw how much debt some marts carry from domestic nevermind international customers and the trouble associated with collecting this payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Did I hear someone say the word strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kk.man

Maybe it is, I'm not that well up on the matter but from my experience in the mart business there's always some special circumstances at play. Bond cover may also be an option again I'm far from an expert on the matter. Live exports are a volatile business and are prone to failure due to global factor's that are often outside of our control. I think it would open a lot of people's eyes if they saw how much debt some marts carry from domestic nevermind international customers and the trouble associated with collecting this payment.

I know of at least two big finishers who would have a credit limit of 300k in the Midlands. They effectively use the mart as a bank. Some big dealers got a full months credit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Could the strike result in price rises in Ireland due to world prices rising being delayed.they aint going to rise them at the moment while they are ploughing through the backlog .the irony of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,228 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

K.G. wrote: »
    Could the strike result in price rises in Ireland due to world prices rising being delayed.they aint going to rise them at the moment while they are ploughing through the backlog .the irony of it

I think the price rise will come harder and faster than lads think. Processor's cannot use restricted feedlot beef for Chinese market. Kill jumped something savage last week. Normally processor's slow down throughput from Dec 1st until Christmas week.due to white meat. This may not happen this year.

However the price rise will be conditional on type of cattle. U 30 months cattle from unrestricted herds may see a sharp rise in price. Bulls U 24 months may well be in serious demand this year. Other cattle may not see same price jump.

Processor's feedlots and restricted feedlots could be redundant this year

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I said that ages ago, the backlog of cattle means that the factories won’t have to raise the price of beef in line with beef price increases in other markets, and these are clearly rising.

Irony is an understatement in my opinion, it would be pure comical if it wasn’t so bloody serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I think the price rise will come harder and faster than lads think. Processor's cannot use restricted feedlot beef for Chinese market. Kill jumped something savage last week. Normally processor's slow down throughput from Dec 1st until Christmas week.due to white meat. This may not happen this year.

However the price rise will be conditional on type of cattle. U 30 months cattle from unrestricted herds may see a sharp rise in price. Bulls U 24 months may well be in serious demand this year. Other cattle may not see same price jump.

There was NO dramatic rise in the kill last week

It is consistent with the kill for the last couple of months, bar the week before last where the kill dropped 4 or 5k head, and this was probably due to the bank holiday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Do ye remember lads were saying that feedlots weren't buying ,that was emptying and resetting the clock as tb free feedlots

• Registered Users Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Do ye remember lads were saying that feedlots weren't buying ,that was emptying and resetting the clock as tb free feedlots

They'll be a loss to restricted herds although i hear they were well able to discount the price........ if they paid at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Be very hard for big feedlots to remain clear though, sheer numbers mean the chance of having a doubtfull are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭Robson99

Panch18 wrote: »
    I said that ages ago, the backlog of cattle means that the factories won’t have to raise the price of beef in line with beef price increases in other markets, and these are clearly rising.

Irony is an understatement in my opinion, it would be pure comical if it wasn’t so bloody serious

Would you prefer if the Base was €3.20 / kg for the last 2 months and the rising it 5 cent a fortnight now ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would you prefer if the Base was €3.20 / kg for the last 2 months and the rising it 5 cent a fortnight now ???

Show us proof that the base price would have been e3.20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,228 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Show us proof that the base price would have been e3.20

Show us the proof it wouldn't

Slava Ukrainii

There was NO dramatic rise in the kill last week

It is consistent with the kill for the last couple of months, bar the week before last where the kill dropped 4 or 5k head, and this was probably due to the bank holiday
    The other point to note is that the cull/empty (P) dairy cow numbers haven't really come on stream from the parlours yet. Farmers don't have a fodder shortage like last year and are continuing to milk them. Factory prices are poor for same and as a dairy farmer said to me they are putting euro's into the milk tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Plus the factories don't want them, €2/ kg if you could get them to take them isn't going to encourage anyone to send them in.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Plus the factories don't want them, €2/ kg if you could get them to take them isn't going to encourage anyone to send them in.
    The factories want them alright but they know they don't have to pay for them. All they have to do is wait and they know that they will come.

Show us the proof it wouldn't
    Robson99 asked if we would prefer e3.20 so he must have some reason to make that statement. At no stage did I say that I had any information what the price would be

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jjjack77

People saying beef would be 3.20 are just trying to justify the strike, most people realize dat the strike done a lot more damage than good

I did say a couple of weeks back that larry wasnt buying. I know a couple of farmers that sold him heifers in the last week so he is back buying again
    mf240 wrote: »
    Be very hard for big feedlots to remain clear though, sheer numbers mean the chance of having a doubtfull are high.

Word on the street is that pickets will be back in place by Christmas. They must have been stocking up on the thermal undies in lidl
    Jjjack77 wrote: »
    People saying beef would be 3.20 are just trying to justify the strike, most people realize dat the strike done a lot more damage than good

Jjjack77 wrote: »

Agree completely nobody yet showed proof it would be e3.20 Serious damage done to trade. Over 30 months impossible to get away. Feeding at e3.45 very expensive.

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Word on the street is that pickets will be back in place by Christmas. They must have been stocking up on the thermal undies in lidl

The word better stay on the street

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are factories that kill in a day what all of Ireland kill in a week.

A backlog of 100k will not have a significant or more than a week impact outside of Ireland, across Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Danzy wrote: »
    There are factories that kill in a day what all of Ireland kill in a week.

A backlog of 100k will not have an impact outside of Ireland.
    Grand if you have a steady market. It's a fairly difficult job to shift that many cattle in a short time period without hitting price hard

Advertisement