Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 R3_Regera

I'm trying to climb a mountain at the moment in the middle of a snow storm! can't see a thing, i may be about to walk off a cliff.. it's brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 R3_Regera

Rob2D wrote: »
    Just downloaded the update and now getting error 50005. Can't log in to the server........

I got that a few times this evening, usually re-connects in a few mins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

I think the unique selling point of this game is such a clever twist on the open world which has become such a stale trope in games at this point.

He kinda toyed with a similar idea in MGSV with the disarming of nukes thing, Death Stranding feels like a fully fleshed out version of that idea.

There is the usual open world game stuff in DS like receive Mission from talking head to bring item from A to B, but it's the A to B that is interesting here. They have found a clever way to make the journey the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just met the cosplayer, ffs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Finished this last night. Wasn't really digging the game play but persevered for the story, 40 hours took to finish doing mostly main deliveries.

Am curious. Out of 10 how would you rate the story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Am curious. Out of 10 how would you rate the story?

I would probably give it 8/10. There are lots of touching moments and some big twists near the end but nothing that you couldn't see coming if you were paying attention. Character development is good especially with the secondary characters
    Deadman, Heartman, Mama and Amelie.

I found Sam and Fragile's voice actors to be a bit stale, Norman Reedus in particular can come across pretty uninterested on certain lines where he should have put more emotion into.

Overall its good sci-fi fare, you can see with this game where Kojima may go when he starts making movies, the last few chapters are a feature length custscene with some minor player interaction that clocks in at nearly 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

A three hour cut scene will balance out the three hours I spent last night happily doing side missions instead of story progression. Reminds me of Breathe of the Wild where I'd just wander around the map instead of doing anything useful.

fixXxer wrote: »
    A three hour cut scene will balance out the three hours I spent last night happily doing side missions instead of story progression. Reminds me of Breathe of the Wild where I'd just wander around the map instead of doing anything useful.

The ending cutscene isn't a bad thing in this case. There is lots going on in it that will keep you entertained, its not like MGS4 ending where they just talk for an hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Overall its good sci-fi fare, you can see with this game where Kojima may go when he starts making movies

I really hope he doesn't. He is a great game designer but a terrible director.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really hope he doesn't. He is a great game designer but a terrible director.

That's definitely the route he is going. There are loads of famous directors and actors in DS so I would think he must have been trying to get into those circles to have met those people. I think the reason for David Hayter being replaced in MGS5 was he wanted to make the game more cinematic so he needed a big name actor which was a shame because David Hayter is a far better Snake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's definitely the route he is going. There are loads of famous directors and actors in DS so I would think he must have been trying to get into those circles to have met those people. I think the reason for David Hayter being replaced in MGS5 was he wanted to make the game more cinematic so he needed a big name actor which was a shame because David Hayter is a far better Snake.

I read something interesting about that recently. Like, with DS, it's all about capturing the actors performance and motion capture. So it makes total sense to cast known talented actors.
    Thing was, Keifer only did facial capture and he barely speaks throughout the game. So why replace David Hayter?

I'm currently replaying mgs5 at the moment and any facial capture you see from Sunderland is just a blank wondering stare :pac: couldn't be any worse than Hayter (unless hayter is a total over actor? lol)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He has always wanted to be a movie director and is a big film buff. Apparently he has always been disappointed he never made it as a director as that is what he is trained in and making games isn't his first choice. Thing is he is actually a fantastic game producer but filmmaking, not so much.

He is actually pretty good with the camera but my god the dialogue is awful and he makes some baffling decisions. His taste in movies is also questionable. He is a bit of a control freak as well and won't take criticism, the original localizer of MGS had a lot of trouble trying to make localization changes and Kojima eventually got him ran out of Konami.

I read something interesting about that recently. Like, with DS, it's all about capturing the actors performance and motion capture. So it makes total sense to cast known talented actors.
    Thing was, Keifer only did facial capture and he barely speaks throughout the game. So why replace David Hayter?

I'm currently replaying mgs5 at the moment and any facial capture you see from Sunderland is just a blank wondering stare :pac: couldn't be any worse than Hayter (unless hayter is a total over actor? lol)

Im guessing the budget for Keifer could have been one of those issues that made Kojima and Konami part ways. Keifer probably wanted a fairly hefty cheque for dialogue so that's why there is so little.

He has always wanted to be a movie director and is a big film buff. Apparently he has always been disappointed he never made it as a director as that is what he is trained in and making games isn't his first choice. Thing is he is actually a fantastic game producer but filmmaking, not so much.

He is actually pretty good with the camera but my god the dialogue is awful and he makes some baffling decisions. His taste in movies is also questionable. He is a bit of a control freak as well and won't take criticism, the original localizer of MGS had a lot of trouble trying to make localization changes and Kojima eventually got him ran out of Konami.

If he had a half decent team around him to rein in some of his more out there ideas he could probably make something alright in live action. Probably a tv series would be best to start, I can imagine his movies would have a serious run time if he was left to his own devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think Hayter was a great Snake for the games he was in, but Kiefer was great as Big Boss imo. The fact they used someone like KS meant Kojima also had to be far tighter with his writing, whereas you could have Hayter ream off a book's worth of dialogue. KS was able to do far more with a lot less dialogue, and as much as I liked Hayter's portrayal of Snake, I think voice acting has kinda moved past his abilities. When you compare Hayter's Snake to Robin Atkin Downes' Miller in MGSV, there's a huge gulf between them imo.

Hayter's Snake was great for the games he was in, but MGSV needed more than he was capable of.

Im guessing the budget for Keifer could have been one of those issues that made Kojima and Konami part ways. Keifer probably wanted a fairly hefty cheque for dialogue so that's why there is so little.

It was more the fact that Konami was moving away from videogames due to their sports clubs and pachinko business making more money than the huge risk that their videogames were considering the massive investment they commanded.

Funnily enough it looks like Konami are looking back at making games now that new Pachinko laws are coming in.

It was more the fact that Konami was moving away from videogames due to their sports clubs and pachinko business making more money than the huge risk that their videogames were considering the massive investment they commanded.

Funnily enough it looks like Konami are looking back at making games now that new Pachinko laws are coming in.

Hopefully they will put more effort into the games they are making then. That new Contra was woeful, I'm not expecting the new Castlevania to be much better, especially as its mobile. Konami really lost their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Saw an advert for new movie 21 Bridges this morning. I don't envy the porter who had to lug around all that metal - what a legend :)

HAHA, I can't wait for the inevitable gimli post aka "I caved!"

My prediction. Friday coming with decent odds at 4/1.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

You know he's just sitting there like:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c9ee944abf513b1f32f837b1536be9f5de004f50&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Id be more willing to bet that the money wasnt the issue, it was probably more like Kojima not making the best use of the time he had booked.
    Judging by the tweets over the last few years, it seems like hes become very friendly with Mikkleson and Reedus, Kiefer was likely booked in for a weeks work and wasn't inclined to be hanging around for re-shoots and experimentation.

It was just Konami refocusing on other areas of business. They shut down all videogame development other than PES. Kojima was just another casualty of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In purely filmic terms, Kojima (and his frequent collaborators) have a pretty great audiovisual storytelling sense. The opening credit sequence here and some of the early suspense / ‘dream’ scenes are among the most astounding and well-realised I’ve seen in games, and indeed above much of what passes for Hollywood spectacle these days. Things like costume and art design are top tier, and at its best it’s oozing (literally, often!) atmosphere.

The problem is he’s an awful editor and very often an appalling writer. He just can’t quite marry his often interesting ideas with his great eye for visual detailing. So that’s why you’re left with sometimes insufferably long exposition dumps of characters talking complete ****e. This game contains some of the best cutscenes I’ve ever seen in a game, and others where I just want to get back to that beautifully desolate open world for hardcore package delivery.

That said, I have few issues with his gameplay - his work in open world settings to date (and this is a major evolution in that sense from MGS5) are systemically unique and sophisticated in ways games of this sort usually aren’t.

Just me or is the thread changing? Hype turned into many happy people in their first hours, and now it's a bit more subdued as they deliver packages reaching the good parts?

Just me or is the thread changing? Hype turned into many happy people in their first hours, and now it's a bit more subdued as they deliver packages reaching the good parts?

Personally I didn't enjoy the game play, I thought it was boring but I can see why other people enjoy it and appreciate that technically this is a good game. I would think if you were super hyped for this you may be a bit disappointed with the end result, I know some of my friends bought the game and have/are trading it in before finishing because to them the game play is a real slog even those who are massive Kojima fans.

Anyone know how shared vehicles work when they're out in the open? I saw 2 bikes outside South knot distro, took over and wrecked it in the nearby stream. Went back and took the other one and wrecked it in the same ****ing stream. Only thinking about now that those bikes might have belonged to 2 guys who were down picking up or dropping off cargo and came out to their bikes gone. Is that it works? If so, i kinda feel bad.

For me, i wasn't very hyped, I'm no Hideo fan boy but have no issues with him. I was planning on getting it at some point but sprung for launch release on a whim. I've loved every bit of it so far. I think I'm about 12 hours in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Anyone know how shared vehicles work when they're out in the open? I saw 2 bikes outside South knot distro, took over and wrecked it in the nearby stream. Went back and took the other one and wrecked it in the same ****ing stream. Only thinking about now that those bikes might have belonged to 2 guys who were down picking up or dropping off cargo and came out to their bikes gone. Is that it works? If so, i kinda feel bad.

I can see them now, after a long hike over the mountains thinking thank god I can finally get back on my bike. then seeing not one but two bikes in the water :)

I think they might be reset after you stop using them. I remember I bike being parked in the middle of one of my roads and I crashed into it while driving a truck. A few days later it was back in the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Can't speak for everyone, but I'm well over 30 hours in and my enjoyment has only increased as I have progressed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

and others where I just want to get back to that beautifully desolate open world for hardcore package delivery.

Package delivery. If Red Dead 2 was just about delivering packages people would have lost their mind.

I am not looking for an argument and am being genuine. I have followed the build up to this game for a long time and was a big Metal Gear Solid fan. I was looking forward to this. However, I really really think that people are exhibiting cognitive dissonance on this game because it is Kojima. A three hour cutscene with package delivery either side of it? It sounds so absolutely awful.

I nearly think this game was made ironically and is a comment on the current state of video games or something. People are so bought in to this game that they have convinced themselves it is good. Or something.

Advertisement