Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I can see them now, after a long hike over the mountains thinking thank god I can finally get back on my bike. then seeing not one but two bikes in the water :)

I think they might be reset after you stop using them. I remember I bike being parked in the middle of one of my roads and I crashed into it while driving a truck. A few days later it was back in the same spot.

Hhhmmm well i did give em a few likes before taking the bikes so **** em :). After wrecking my own bike earlier in a deep trench, i got a message when i rested in a private room that my bike was repaired and i found it stored in my garage.

Ah, not gonna lie to myself, if i see a bike out in the open, I'm hopping on and taking off. Store your **** if you don't want it stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

SJW Lover wrote: »
    Package delivery. If Red Dead 2 was just about delivering packages people would have lost their mind.

I am not looking for an argument and am being genuine. I have followed the build up to this game for a long time and was a big Metal Gear Solid fan. I was looking forward to this. However, I really really think that people are exhibiting cognitive dissonance on this game because it is Kojima. A three hour cutscene with package delivery either side of it? It sounds so absolutely awful.

I nearly think this game was made ironically and is a comment on the current state of video games or something. People are so bought in to this game that they have convinced themselves it is good. Or something.

The game is well made but the game play will put a lot of people off playing it. Its not designed to mass appeal, people who enjoyed a more laid back experience will enjoy it, the same people who like No Mans Sky will like this game, there's lots of exploration and its very pretty to look at.

I nearly think this game was made ironically and is a comment on the current state of video games or something. People are so bought in to this game that they have convinced themselves it is good. Or something.

Or, you know, different people like different things? Also, the majority of negative comments are from people who haven't played it. No issue with people who played it and it isn't for them but my god is it an annoying thing these days for people to spend so much energy thinking/talking about something they have no intention of playing/watching. Like that journalist who **** all over Joker because of its portrayal of mental illness but she hadn't even watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Anyone know how shared vehicles work when they're out in the open? I saw 2 bikes outside South knot distro, took over and wrecked it in the nearby stream. Went back and took the other one and wrecked it in the same ****ing stream. Only thinking about now that those bikes might have belonged to 2 guys who were down picking up or dropping off cargo and came out to their bikes gone. Is that it works? If so, i kinda feel bad.

I think objects can be added to your instance from others but removals don't effect other instances. Not sure how it will play out for mobile items like vehicles but for example if you deconstruct an online item it only disappears for you - which I had to do last night when some smart arse built a post-box right beside the first bike you are given, almost completely blocking me putting in the generator to get it working again (since you need to leave a certain amount of space between objects).

I'm about 10 hours in now I think and love it. On the surface 'just' 3d open world platformer but the story (which I hated in MGS5 and love here), audio, visuals, mechanics and social interaction are just so superbly melded it all comes together to be much greater than the sum of their parts imho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Package delivery. If Red Dead 2 was just about delivering packages people would have lost their mind.

Might have made it more interesting and worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

The game is well made but the game play will put a lot of people off playing it. Its not designed to mass appeal, people who enjoyed a more laid back experience will enjoy it, the same people who like No Mans Sky will like this game, there's lots of exploration and its very pretty to look at.

I liked No Man's Sky. I have watched a fair few streams and what i was watching looked fairly uninteresting from an exploration aspect - a lot of barren landscapes. Someone compared the landscape to Iceland on this thread. There's only so much rocks and hills one can look at.

Or, you know, different people like different things? Also, the majority of negative comments are from people who haven't played it. No issue with people who played it and it isn't for them but my god is it an annoying thing these days for people to spend so much energy thinking/talking about something they have no intention of playing/watching. Like that journalist who **** all over Joker because of its portrayal of mental illness but she hadn't even watched it.

I fully appreciate people can like different things. However, i have been searching vainly for an objective review on this. The IGN one was pretty negative and then everything else is people gushing but only about delivering packages. It seems to make no sense. I have watched streams and have seen more gameplay than i care to admit but i am not seeing anything interesting at all. Everyone seems to be all in on this. And watching streams means i am not comparable to a journalist who hadnt seen one second of the film she was critiquing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Watching a stream is not comparable to playing a game. Especially something like death stranding which is very exploration and mechanics based.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Watching a stream is not comparable to playing a game. Especially something like death stranding which is very exploration and mechanics based.

I agree it is not the same as playing a game. But watching a stream allows one to see what the game actually is. I have watched people explore. You can watch that with your own eyes you know. You dont get a 6th sense holding a controller. I do take the point on mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

When you're in the world actively taking part and affecting it, along with the influence of other players, it just feels more than the sum of its parts. It sounds silly but it needs to be played to see if it's for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

From watching a video ,the gameplay seems to consist of driving or walking or climbing , delivering packages and fighting a few enemys .
    Maybe the story is very interesting .
    its disappointing to me in that theres no standard weapons like sniper rifles or machine guns ,
    its like he wanted to make a game thats completely different from metal gear solid ,with characters played by actors he likes .
    i Just liked all the metal gear games ,
    i liked all the characters and the voice acting was great even though
    sometimes the story makes no sense and the cut scenes are too long.
    The metal gear games are strange in that they seem to be made
    by someone who has watched alot of american action movies but has never been outside japan .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

riclad wrote: »
    From watching a video ,the gameplay seems to consist of driving or walking or climbing , delivering packages and fighting a few enemys .
    its disappointing to me in that theres no standard weapons like sniper rifles or machine guns ,
    its like he wanted to make a game thats completely different from metal gear solid ,with characters played by actors he likes .
    i Just liked all the metal gear games ,
    i liked all the characters and the voice acting was great even though
    sometimes the story makes no sense and the cut scenes are too long.
    The metal gear games are strange in that they seem to be made
    by someone who has watched alot of american action movies but has never been outside japan .

it's not just walking tho. you need to judge balance, weight, terrain, etc.. all of which you wouldn't get from just watching a video (where you think they're just pointing the stick forward to go, they're not, shoulder buttons for balance careful nudges to go forward at different speeds, all after planning the route), need to play it

It's not trying to be Metal Gear though, it's something very different.

I think the genius of this game is that on paper, it really shouldn't be interesting but playing and feeling every rock under your foot (by way of vibration), it's actually amazing to play, story, mechanics, world. I hate fetch quests as much as the next guy but this mission structure of take package from A to B is hundred times better than say rockstars structure of drive/ride from A to B, kill people and drive back. Very hard to explain why but it just feels really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Isn't nearly every open world game a fetch and delivery game?. Go to big tower and collect staff of greatness and deliver to magician in Castle on other side of map?.

I wasn't enjoying this tbf but into the 3rd episode now and starting to get the feel for it and looking forward to playing more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'd say Kojima is delighted Konami held on to the the MGS IP. Now he never has to make one again.

riclad wrote: »
    You can't kill people in game as it would cause a disaster. Dead bodies pose major in game problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

You can't kill people in game as it would cause a disaster. Dead bodies pose major in game problems.

I actually died near the end of the game to a BT and they weren't joking about the destruction death can cause.
    Voidouts cause massive craters where you were standing and bounce you back when you try to pass through them, just hope that it doesn't appear in anyone elses game as its on the side of a mountain and will make passing through more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

JimBurnley wrote: »
    it's not just walking tho. you need to judge balance, weight, terrain, etc.. all of which you wouldn't get from just watching a video (where you think they're just pointing the stick forward to go, they're not, shoulder buttons for balance careful nudges to go forward at different speeds, all after planning the route), need to play it

walking simulator :pac:

walking simulator :pac:

Pfffttt if you actually played it, then you'd know it's really a road building sim :)

kdqq9dl4lhy31.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I am not looking for an argument and am being genuine. I have followed the build up to this game for a long time and was a big Metal Gear Solid fan. I was looking forward to this. However, I really really think that people are exhibiting cognitive dissonance on this game because it is Kojima. A three hour cutscene with package delivery either side of it? It sounds so absolutely awful.

Tbh this is a view I'm sympathetic to WRT this game. Even now as I play it I feel like I'm being tricked in a sort of Sons of Liberty way. The whole thing kind of feels like a joke.

In spite of that it feels like it might be my GOTY and I didn't expect that going in. There's a particular way the loop goes with it where it forces you to do things in the most mundane fashion where you're only decision making is how much you carry and what you reckon is the safest traversal/walking options (ie, the walking simulator part of the game)

Then it turns into this way more involved process of mitigating the tedium out of moving all this cargo around. The logistics part of Death Stranding. Starting off with ropes and bridges and culminating in highways and complicated networks of ziplines across mountains. It sounds like pretentious rubbish but this loop of optimising the boredom out of Death Stranding is maybe the most captivated I've been by an open world game since BOTW

Maybe you're right though and the game case has some Kojima koolaid wafting up from it :pac:

But yeah this game is ****ing mad. I don't know how or why it got made but I'm kinda glad it did tbh. Although I wish we got Silent Hills instead

I should add that I didn't expect to like it either. Bought it expecting to hate it but needing to know WTF this is

Kojima would have made a balls of silent Hill. His writing would never come close to the likes of SH2.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭LauraW7746

Sorry if this has been asked before, Im just on chapter 2,
    found the Ludens Fan location but I need to deliver cargo back to get in, but I cant find it? Is it maybe chapter specific? Ive read its not too far away & ive pinged the area loads & seems to be no sign of the cargo..
    BTW really enjoying the game so far, BT sections not so much �� hopefully they will be few & far between!

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, Im just on chapter 2, found the Ludens Fan location but I need to deliver cargo back to get in, but I cant find it? Is it maybe chapter specific? Ive read its not too far away & ive pinged the area loads & seems to be no sign of the cargo..
    BTW really enjoying the game so far, BT sections not so much �� hopefully they will be few & far between!

Aw i didn't do that part and i just read who ludens fan is, must go back! Anyway, apparently his lost cargo is 100m west of his location.

death-stranding-ludens-fan-lost-cargo.jpg

Aw i didn't do that part and i just read who ludens fan is, must go back! Anyway, apparently his lost cargo is 100m west of his location.

death-stranding-ludens-fan-lost-cargo.jpg

Yep ive read that and tried going round the area pinging to try pick up a location for it but cant find it still :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Oh no....I've just realised how far out to the west that highway stretches...guess thats the story on hold for me for another while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

I haven’t read anything past this post yet but if I may as a Kojima virgin before playing this..

I only bought this game as my brother would be a hardcore fan of Kojima. I watched one trailer and knew only a couple of other bits going into it.

I think it’s a fantastic game! I 100% believe it’s not for everyone but I know from reading others comments and from my own opinion that it has a certain element that really appeals to some people. As said above it’s reminiscent of BOTW in how you can easily get lost doing side bits.

The visuals are just mind blowing and it’s so much more than just delivering packages. With BTs, mules and having a baby to care for you’re definitely kept busy on your runs.

The best thing for me is the connectivity among players. Knowing someone used a bridge I made or put down a ladder or rope in a spot I know they used because they had the same thinking I did on how to get around is such a nice feeling.

Getting to shout out and see the usernames of players around me is also great!

As I said it’s not for everyone but neither is COD or FIFA and that’s okay too, to each their own and all that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

I had a really cool bit of intense gameplay earlier, my cargo got pinged by a pair of mules and they started tracking me down. Had to navigate up a steep hill and then take out the climbing pole and rapel my way down a steep cliff. Looked up at the cliff when I reached the bottom and the mules were standing on top of it looking down at me. Very cool. Would have been cooler if they'd used my rope to rapel down too but they don't do that.

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, Im just on chapter 2,
    found the Ludens Fan location but I need to deliver cargo back to get in, but I cant find it? Is it maybe chapter specific? Ive read its not too far away & ive pinged the area loads & seems to be no sign of the cargo..

The cargo became available after the windfarm mission so I was able to complete it after all :D

• Advertisement

Just finished chapter four and have acquired a lethal pistol and assault rifle. The game warns you against using them though.

Advertisement