Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

We don't have the bulk to grind the opposition into the dust and we don't have the athletes to run the legs off them. We are entirely dependent on an error-free, high intensity but ultimately uncomplicated game plan.

we don't have the athletes now? so player pool, genetics, size. What other excuses can we rattle off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

molloyjh wrote: »
    Probably, but I also think one big difference between us and teams that have made the SF is belief. NZ, SA, England, Wales and to a lesser extent (or lesser these days) Australia and France all fully believe that they can and will win the RWC. That kind of confidence, bordering on arrogance, is something we still dont have. Probably because of the fact that our successes are so recent and yet to show at the RWC. That has an impact on everything in terms of build up, prep and performance.

I think you are spot on with this. Except when it comes Australia. No lesser extent there. They absolutely believed they were going to win the world cup :D

You are right that those teams, their fans and media all believed that they were good enough to win the whole thing. In Ireland, there was the odd pundit that may have mentioned the possibility, the outside chance, the dream that maybe, just maybe Ireland could win but "sure, lets not get ahead of ourselves. We'll be happy with a semi-final spot." I felt that even the players and coaches played it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some good posts today! A lot of varying points being put forward. I think we're all disappointed and some of us are bitter. I've been watching Ireland since the 70's and the highs are phenomenal and the lows....
    So, why did our team fail this rwc? Do we have the players? I believe we do. Are we chokers? Can we not handle pressure?
    I think back to the HEC. Yearly we have teams in the qf's and even the sf's. We outperform the premiership, except for Saracens. We also hold our own with the top 14. So analyzing the national side and deciphering our poor rwc, I find it hard to reconcile that we don't have the athletes or the psyche.
    Putting a finger on the problem is difficult. We don't know the problem. We can only guess. But, I think we erred in the selection and with tactics. In saying that, I think we failed to get our halves enough experience behind Sexton and Murray. This created a lack of confidence imo.
    Speaking of Best. I just watched the Munster v Ulster match again and I thought Scannell was very good. Herring was not so good. I don't think that Best was that much better than Scannell, if at all.
    Our entire year was poor! That's the problem. Why could we not reverse the trend? I think that's what most posters are concerned with! Our 1st match in Dublin against England, we were well beaten and looked slow and didn't get going at all. It was worse v Wales. We were almost nilled.
    We failed to identify and correct these problems. It appears it was a perfect storm.
    Rassie had less than 2 years to fix the Boks. He did so and they are world champions. We completely lost the plot and got worse all year.
    So frustrating!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Niallof9 wrote: »
    we don't have the athletes now? so player pool, genetics, size. What other excuses can we rattle off?
    The other teams are better than us .

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

We have the players but not the bottle it seems .

• Advertisement

I suppose the six nations was telling us the team had been figured out playing style wise .We should play form players going forward Conway should have started WC and Larmour possibly Mcgrath at scrumhalf Ruddock maybe thought our backrow was not at the races.
    Hard to put finger on exact problem we just made so much mistakes v NZ when I started watching rugby years ago now, beating anybody was a plus we are going in right direction .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

tryagain wrote: »

If you just watched the world cup and nothing else, this is the conclusion you would draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Didn't bottle it in Twickenham to win a 6 nations, a stadium which many many many teams, Ireland and others have a long history of bottling it

I could give you loads of examples for Ireland and for provinces when the same players have not bottled it.....

So that statement would seem incorrect for majority of tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There seemed to be an apprehension within the entire set up this year. From the off against England all the way through to the NZ game. The players and coaches seemed to have the weight of the world on their shoulders the whole time. They didn't look to be enjoying any of their game time at all.

Was this a failure by the coaching team, absolutely. Could they have arrested this, maybe.

With any team sport, the psychological aspect is huge. If you're on the extended squad and can't get a start despite the player ahead of you doing poorly it has huge knock-on effects. The team moral drops and an "Us v Them" mentality can develop.
    I think JS and his team should have acted far more swiftly and started to drop under performing players straight after the England game. That's not to say they get dropped from the panel entirely but a spell on the bench has a habit of sharpening up a players focus.

Dropping Toner felt like JS was trying to do just that but it was entirely the wrong time and player IMO. Similarly Carbery and Henshaw should have never been on the plane over either. Both were clearly long term injuries and bringing them also sent the wrong message. Sure a fit Henshaw is a terrific player but when's the last time he strung more than 2 games together. Carbery is good but not that good that Byrne should have been left out for a player with a banjaxed ankle.

All in all, I believe a number of small things conspired against us this year, unfortunately most of them were self inflicted.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

The 4 year cycle climax is what top international rugby players are judged on we don't bring it to the table at WC time not ever .So blinkered views are great but the results are there for all to see . I want us to succeed as much as anybody but I am not feeding myself false hope anymore we ain't doing it on a world stage when it matters in all honesty getting beaten by Japan was heartbreaking Connacht or Ulster should be able to beat Japan .I would think one of the Japanese players Thompson I think could barely walk off when subbed when beating us what effort what a warrior where are our warriors not one knockout win in the history of WC mad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

aloooof wrote: »
    Great post. On this bit in particular, I think you're spot on. I think Joe wanted Henderson and Ryan in the 2nd row to add that carrying threat to the pack (along with Stander, Healy etc.) while still being able to get POM and VdF into the team.

Joe selected that exact pack in the first game in Paris for the Grand Slam 6N. Henderson got injured v Italy.
    Ireland had been slowly evolving to that possession based game in the 2017 6N and away from the kick for territory game. Ryan was the key factor.

What we saw in the WC was a continuation of this game plan with more emphasis on offloads (Jap game).

We should have lost that game in Paris because we couldn’t get any go forward or put it through the hands in the rain.

Same in 6N Cardiff ‘19 but with glaringly obvious fact that Murray and Sexton were and continued to be a shadow of their former bests.
    And it was the same for Rory Best.

This simple fact is what underpins whatever take there is going on the the fall from the fantastic performances in beating England & NZ to the humiliating performance v NZ

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Connacht or Ulster should be able to beat Japan.

This is patently not true. Unless you think Connacht should run rampant against Scotland and make a decent fist against South Africa. The views people have on Japan simply do not correlate with what we actually saw from them in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Joe selected that exact pack in the first game in Paris for the Grand Slam 6N. Henderson got injured v Italy.
    Ireland had been slowly evolving to that possession based game in the 2017 6N and away from the kick for territory game. Ryan was the key factor.

What we saw in the WC was a continuation of this game plan with more emphasis on offloads (Jap game).

We should have lost that game in Paris because we couldn’t get any go forward or put it through the hands in the rain.

Same in 6N Cardiff ‘19 but with glaringly obvious fact that Murray and Sexton were and continued to be a shadow of their former bests.
    And it was the same for Rory Best.

This simple fact is what underpins whatever take there is going on the the fall from the fantastic performances in beating England & NZ to the humiliating performance v NZ

Sexton was just too easy to nullify IMO. Murray was out of form and if you want to play a more expansive offloading game then he is not the scrum half to use. Add into the mix that the backrow he kept picking isn't the one for that game plan either. CJ is great for dirty ball but never goes for the soft shoulder to offload. POM, well he had a very poor year by his standards and like CJ just can't seem to pass a ball. VDF is terrific but had to play a different role and concentrate on the defensive side far too often.

When the opposition know that the backrow and scrum half offer little too no threat it makes defending against us a hell of a lot easier.

Sure Sexton wasn't at his best but honestly I don't know any out half that could thrive in those situations.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Maybe the reason we haven't gotten to a semi final is because we're actually not one of the best four teams in the world??

I don't buy that. It's not as if we've not regularly beaten teams who have made a SF, and I'm not sure that each SF has featured the best 4 teams.

Perhaps we've been unfortunate in some of our QF draws - either SA/NZ would have been a big ask, regardless of how we'd performed over the last year. But when you look at some of the teams who have made a QF, we are better than that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,160 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eoin wrote: »
    I don't buy that. It's not as if we've not regularly beaten teams who have made a SF.

We regularly beat England, new Zealand, South africa and Wales??

Since when?

JRant wrote: »
    Sexton was just too easy to nullify IMO. Murray was out of form and if you want to play a more expansive offloading game then he is not the scrum half to use. Add into the mix that the backrow he kept picking isn't the one for that game plan either. CJ is great for dirty ball but never goes for the soft shoulder to offload. POM, well he had a very poor year by his standards and like CJ just can't seem to pass a ball. VDF is terrific but had to play a different role and concentrate on the defensive side far too often.

When the opposition know that the backrow and scrum half offer little too no threat it makes defending against us a hell of a lot easier.

Sure Sexton wasn't at his best but honestly I don't know any out half that could thrive in those situations.

Not so sure that the pack were to blame for the half-backs woes.
    Best was on the slide since 6N 18' & put in his last great performance v NZ that year. But i would say that CJ, Healy & VdF were all playing better in the WC v '18. For all the flak PO'M is getting he wasnt far off his 2018 performances.

edit
    Hopefully we can unearth some more ball carrying options in the pack that will encourage Farrell to build upon a great ruck team with the capability to offload and give defensive line breaks and options for the half-backs to launch from.
    Kelleher looks primed fro this - He should be fast tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Since when?

We have beaten Wales, England and France regularly enough to suggest (to me at least) that we shouldn't consider a semi-final appearance an unreasonable goal.

And we've beaten all those teams away on the final weekend of the 6N to win the comp in recent years, so those results can't be dismissed like many dismiss the wins against NZ as "just friendlies". And then there's a healthy record against Argentina and Scotland who have also made the semis when we haven't.

So far our limit of a QF puts us in the company of Japan, Western Samoa, Canada and Fiji. Do you not think that we should be doing better than that?

I didn't mean to imply that we beat all of this year's semi-finalists most of the time.

Since when?

Since about 2004?

We are 10-6 against England in that time period in the 6N and 8-8-1 against Wales in 6N & RWC matches. We are 6-4 against South Africa in that time period also.

JRant wrote: »

Just thinking on what you were saying on the BRow and SH.

I would also reckon that Ireland suffered as a result of not having a BR that offer a World Class threat with ball in hand. & also agree that with Murray not a breaking threat anymore defences mostly decided not to resource the ruck (Ireland's obvious strength); pillars only, with the focus on filling the line and blitzing Sexton and cutting off his options.

This was exacerbated by Murrays poor speed off the deck and poor quality of pass to Sexton or a hapless forward.

Hopefully we see a bit more willingness to link and offload between the forwards. I remember Ryan and Leavy had a few lovely little link-ups.
    Again....get Kelleher in!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/1111/1090085-ireland-management-must-make-mark-quickly-lancaster/

So even Stu, friends with Andy, thinks he will be under immediate pressure.

Yet we haven't even heard a peep from Farrell

• Advertisement

Yet we haven't even heard a peep from Farrell

Why would we? You never hear a peep from international coaches unless there are, you know, international matches going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

The lads on OTB making a good point about Aki. If he goes to France he is off the IRFU books and we can still use him for Ireland . Maybe a new rule where players born outside Ireland can play for Ireland if they put a few years in with Ireland first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The unwritten rule of having to play in Ireland to get selected for Ireland is not gonna change anytime soon. The only chance of it ever changing will be if there is fairly widespread exodus of first XV players. The amount of discussion around something that has no chance of changing in the foreseeable future is bizarre.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Gonad wrote: »
    The lads on OTB making a good point about Aki. If he goes to France he is off the IRFU books and we can still use him for Ireland . Maybe a new rule where players born outside Ireland can play for Ireland if they put a few years in with Ireland first ?

Jesus Christ.

If you want to play for Ireland, you play in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Don't know why we would break our rule for Aki - he's a good player, but not a nailed on starter.

We broke it for Sexton because he is one of our best ever players and he negotiated special terms in his contract to be released for International camps. Even with that, it was a different time, and I don't think even Sexton would get that special treatment today.

I want this to happen just to see Luke Fitzgerald's reaction

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The unwritten rule of having to play in Ireland to get selected for Ireland is not gonna change anytime soon. The only chance of it ever changing will be if there is fairly widespread exodus of first XV players. The amount of discussion around something that has no chance of changing in the foreseeable future is bizarre.

The lack of flexibility and discussion and dismissals such as yours, is frankly bizarre

Faugheen wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

If you want to play for Ireland, you play in Ireland.

Jesus Christ yourself, lets see if Aki goes, thats three world class players playing abroad. It soon will be a torrent i think. We are just going to be producing too many players to hang onto them all.

Mind boggling the reaction of some people to any outside the box thinking, despite having been proven wrong, time and again. Maybe it is time for Irish rugby to allow a Welsh/aussie rule

We've had numerous stuff come out recently that has made some posters on here look foolish. Gatland and others with insider knowledge confirming the facts about Joe's paranoia and dictatorial style, Trimble, McCloskey, Reddan, Zebo, Ross all confirming stuff that was dismissed on here as "bizarre" thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Jesus Christ yourself, lets see if Aki goes, thats three world class players playing abroad. It soon will be a torrent i think. We are just going to be producing too many players to hang onto them all.

Mind boggling the reaction of some people to any outside the box thinking, despite having been proven wrong, time and again. Maybe it is time for Irish rugby to allow a Welsh/aussie rule

Who are the three?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I wish there was another way we could do it.

IRFU sign a deal with Racing or the Chiefs, or wherever to allow Irish players to go over there and still be released. I think the NZRU have a deal with Quins of that nature. Not to make money, but to slightly increase the breath of institutional knowledge available to the national team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement