Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,353 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think they should try to get super-confident, bordering on arrogant, players into the spine of the team to try to overcome this. ......

344.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Deaf student

How can you explain Jordi Murphy was playing well despite not selected in final 31 cos most other players wasnt playing well except for Ryan,stockdale,Conway. N Francis brought up this which i thought had a merit. I hadnt thought of that until i read Francis's article.

Other posters commented re undroppables, picking players out of form, joe's favorites linked to out of form players, keeping players with injuries on instead of sending them home.

what pressure?? All top rugby team deals with pressures what made Ireland so different from them (Best comment-pressure)?? They are highly paid players to deal with pressures.

It seems to me that Ireland/IRFU hadn't learnt from their previous RWC. I could make a suggestion for next RWC, bring an independent guy reviewer to add on with team to give an independent objective where it went wrong in last game or where it went wrong even in training matches as well. No bias just a blunt objective or a wake up call.

Also i felt that Irish papers were in some way over-hyped them until their defeat to Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We will never really know!
    But losing to Japan was telling..Struggling against Russia was worse, imo. They looked lost at sea!
    So. I think that J.S and his gameplan were the problem.
    Why? The 6nations and our inability to play with England and Wales. We were 2nd best by a long way!
    But, nothing changed, except Marmipn and Toner where dropped.
    In comes Luke and Kleyn. Kleyn looked way off the pace and offered zero, imo.
    The one out runners ! The static receivers and the dependance on Sexton and Murray.
    The script was old and tired, imo. Opponents knew our game plan and it wasn't hard to defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dubinusa wrote: »
    But losing to Japan was telling..Struggling against Russia was worse, imo. They looked lost at sea!
    Why? The 6nations and our inability to play with England and Wales. We were 2nd best by a long way!
    The one out runners ! The static receivers and the dependance on Sexton and Murray.
    The script was old and tired, imo. Opponents knew our game plan and it wasn't hard to defend.

They didn’t struggle against Russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    they didnt struggle against Russia.
    The script wasnt old or tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I know people can have differing views of a game but here are some media reactions

while Ireland never struggled, they never took off either
    Flat Ireland fail to ignite in bonus-point win over Russia
    Ireland got the bonus-point win they needed to stay on course for the quarter-finals but were made to work hard by a determined Russian side in difficult conditions
    Ireland remain on course for a World Cup quarter-final after easing to an uninspiring 35-0 win over a toothless Russia in Kobe.
    That's that then. Ireland get the bonus point but there's probably more questions than answers that have arisen from that 80 minutes. They lacked spark in attack and struggled for control at times against a stoical Russian effort.
    Ireland make heavy weather of Russia win. Joe Schmidt’s side secure their bonus point in imperfect victory over minnows in Kobe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Riskymove wrote: »
    I know people can have differing views of a game but here are some media reactions

while Ireland never struggled, they never took off either

No they didn’t light the place up but they didn’t struggle and at no point did they look like losing or it even being close. It was 35:0 not as emphatic as it might have been but no struggle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Yes they did

And yes it was

How is this even up for debate?

Mind boggling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We differ on opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

35 - 0 is not the scoreline it should have been, but scraping past Georgia 14–10 in 2007 is "struggling". The Russian game was mostly sh1te, but there's a fair amount of hyperbole being thrown about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Eoin wrote: »
    35 - 0 is not the scoreline it should have been, but scraping past Georgia 14–10 in 2007 is "struggling". The Russian game was mostly sh1te, but there's a fair amount of hyperbole being thrown about.

The first half was ok.....the second half was awful for about 25 mins and then it got going again.....

It's standard on boards now to just say everything was awful, including the "I seen it since 2015 " crowd :P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Promising signs that Irish rugby’s healing process has begun the headline from the Irishtimes .
    So the great build up starts already how can these guys keep writing this stuff we need more constructive criticism of players
    do they understand we have just been beaten by Japan scraped past Italy in 2015 same with Georgia in 2007. We have to stop building up our players they are good but we need 10 percent more from them and as all our world cup performances prove they dont have it. We need to stop praising them so much they need to want it bad this World cup to put it bluntly hurt a nation .Rugby is becoming ingrained in our sporting hearts the players need to fight for us NZ or Wales even Japan for that matter fight for their lives when they pull on that jersey our guys dont do it no more excuses they needs a culture change and fight for jersey and fight like hell .

tryagain wrote: »
    Promising signs that Irish rugby’s healing process has begun the headline from the Irishtimes .
    So the great build up starts already how can these guys keep writing this stuff we need more constructive criticism of players
    do they understand we have just been beaten by Japan scraped past Italy in 2015 same with Georgia in 2007. We have to stop building up our players they are good but we need 10 percent more from them and as all our world cup performances prove they dont have it. We need to stop praising them so much they need to want it bad this World cup to put it bluntly hurt a nation .Rugby is becoming ingrained in our sporting hearts the players need to fight for us NZ or Wales even Japan for that matter fight for their lives when they pull on that jersey our guys dont do it no more excuses they needs a culture change and fight for jersey and fight like hell.
    what criticism do you want from the media exactly?
    We build up players based on the wins they get against everyone in november/June as well as 6 nations.....
    And what exactly is this culture change that needs to happen?

Write why Japan kicked or ass when it mattered and any game that matters since 1987 which is a world cup QTR every 4 years we lose why How can we fix because it aint good enough the world cup groups in all fairness are BS most of the time so in 32 years of knockout rugby we have won a big fat Zero games why .

Write why Japan kicked or ass when it mattered and any game that matters since 1987 which is a world cup QTR every 4 years we lose why How can we fix because it aint good enough the world cup groups in all fairness are BS most of the time so in 32 years of knockout rugby we have won a big fat Zero games why .
    but group games dont matter. Australia was great in 11 as meant beating a top tier side which we hadn't done before.
    The groups aren't BS and you again havent said anything near on what should happen for things to change?

Who cares?

We have four years of the 6 nations/Pro 14 and HC rugby without having to listen to the drama over the bloody WC.....It will be pure bliss...

Then in 4 years time we will have 2-3 months of this standard posts and then back to pure bliss again,.....happy days

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Who cares?

We have four years of the 6 nations/Pro 14 and HC rugby without having to listen to the drama over the bloody WC.....It will be pure bliss...

Then in 4 years time we will have 2-3 months of this standard posts and then back to pure bliss again,.....happy days

Pretending like we don't care about the WC is so childish.

awec wrote: »
    Pretending like we don't care about the WC is so childish.

Who said I didn't care about the WC? my "who cares" comment is in regards to the poster talking about the press

Pages and pages of the same moan about the WC is fairly boring at this stage as well

We crashed out, lost at another qtr final. Get over it, it's nearly a month ago....time to maybe move on. Imagine been from Scotland? someone always has it worse

If we have 4 cracking years of 6 nations win, HC and Pro 14 wins and crash out in another qtr so be it....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Who said I didn't care about the WC? my "who cares" comment is in regards to the poster talking about the press

Pages and pages of the same moan about the WC is fairly boring at this stage as well

We crashed out, lost at another qtr final. Get over it, it's nearly a month ago....time to maybe move on. Imagine been from Scotland? someone always has it worse

If we have 4 cracking years of 6 nations win, HC and Pro 14 wins and crash out in another qtr so be it....

Meh, seems like a bit of a small time attitude to me.

We were humiliated on the world stage and crashed out again at the quarter final stages. Unsurprisingly, people are still a bit miffed after only a month. We really are a bunch of absolute losers in this competition and plenty of people seem tired of it. A laughing stock.

If we have another 4 years and the same outcome at the end of it we can just chalk that one up to yet another coach failing to deliver the goods at the pinnacle competition in the sport.

And yes, Irish Rugby gets an easy ride in the press.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Maybe , we should just not go to the World Cup so that our delicate Rugby Players don’t upset themselves .

Safe Space for our Rugby Players .

Totally agree humiliated was the word I needed .As for free ride in press its crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭OldRio

We were humiliated on the world stage and crashed out again at the quarter final stages. Unsurprisingly, people are still a bit miffed after only a month. We really are a bunch of absolute losers in this competition and plenty of people seem tired of it. A laughing stock.

If we have another 4 years and the same outcome at the end of it we can just chalk that one up to yet another coach failing to deliver the goods at the pinnacle competition in the sport.

Ah FFS. Is this still going on.
    Acceptance. Move on. Enjoy the Rugby. Plenty to watch.

If people keep this backseat moderation stuff up they are going to find themselves infracted.

If you are not interested in discussing Ireland then I suggest you stay out of the Ireland thread. If all you want to talk about is provincial rugby, there are other threads for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭OldRio

If people keep this backseat moderation stuff up they are going to find themselves infracted.

If you are not interested in discussing Ireland then I suggest you stay out of the Ireland thread. If all you want to talk about is provincial rugby, there are other threads for that.
    Bless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why were we humiliated? The defeat to NZ or the loss to Japan? I am fundamentally opposed to the concept that we were humiliated against Japan - we were beaten in a close match against a better team. Against NZ yeah...it was ****. We've lost by more to them, but it was pretty awful. I struggle to ever feel like its particularly humiliating to lose to NZ though - we've lost by 60-0 in the not that distant past and have been hammered multiple times. They are better at rugby than us and it is only in the last 10 years we have actually been competing properly. It was a bad result, but its also not the end of the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Perhaps our Rugby Players are too molly-coddled . When you consistently fail then questions have to be asked .

That or they are just not good enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

blinding wrote: »
    Perhaps our Rugby Players are too molly-coddled . When you consistently fail then questions have to be asked .

That or they are just not good enough .

I think Standers wife gave a small insight into the mentality maybe. Criticising media coverage of their performances after a pretty abysmal RWC on the back of a very poor 6n.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I think Standers wife gave a small insight into the mentality maybe. Criticising media coverage of their performances after a pretty abysmal RWC on the back of a very poor 6n.

What exactly did you expect her to say?

What exactly do you want the press to say about the players?

Go into their personal lives?

As a fan what would you like to see in the press about Irish rugby players that would keep you happy??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Unless Stander told his wife to go onto Twitter and fight his corner, it doesn't give an insight into the mentality of the players at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement