Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diagnostics/scanning tools - what/how/which

• 28-07-2019 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for car scanning tool for one my friend, who is not really in to electronics, but he needed it, as qiet offten need for his and his miss car. Because he lives good bit distance from me, some times i am unable help him.

So looking to get a tool for him, i think about handheld device, not mad expencive, but pretty much capble.

I am goin tomorow to visit him to do diagnostics and clear faults( recently was oil pump shaft broken and turbo on his audi, after repair audi is in permanent limp mode) so might somebody could advice good and reasonably priced scanner.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just use a ELM327 from ebay (ten euro or so) and Torque app myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

biko wrote: »

I just use a ELM327 from ebay (ten euro or so) and Torque app myself

Yea, thats a good option, but my friend not good with electronics, phones or different connections. Bluetooth for him is too complicated.

Looking more kind of stright foreword, handheld with wire, so would be easy enough me explain for him step by step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Yea, thats a good option, but my friend not good with electronics, phones or different connections. Bluetooth for him is too complicated.

Looking more kind of stright foreword, handheld with wire, so would be easy enough me explain for him step by step.

No offense, but if BT is too complicated for him............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

can you get a scanner or laptop software at about few hundred that would erase fault codes of most cars, i was looking at launch and theres alot of scanners to choose from and then autocom but can someone recommend something thats good please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

Mar4ix wrote: »

http://www.uobdii.com/wholesale/launch-x431-crp429c-auto-diagnostic-tool.html

anyone have this, was thinking of purchasing it but not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

pm sent with good source for launch tools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I was advised by a mate to get a Autel maxicom mk808 for garage as an upgrade from a brain bee and auto boss and needed to update subscription costing e125 per year something that gets overlooked when buying one.

Did the early elm hook up to laptop and usb port also an idea if he has a laptop.+ many things getting used with android phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 somorain

scannerd wrote: »
    pm sent with good source for launch tools

@scannerd : Can you recommend a WiFi OBD2 scan tool that supports wireless infrastructure mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im looking for a recommendation for a diagnostic tool, preferably no more than 100 euro, thats capable of checking airbag issues? thanks folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

From what I know, for anything outside of the ECU you'd need manufacturer-specific diagnostics stuff, or maybe the high-end professional products from the likes of Snap-on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Hi guys anyone ever used the carista pro app for electronic park brake service etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

Hi,

I've a BMW and would like to purchase a hand held odb2 scanner that will show me fault codes and also force a regen of my dpf.

Anyone out there recommend one that's less than 100 yoyo's?

On the other hand, if there's one out there that you can recommend that can also program the car, I'd be willing to push the budget. Want video in motion and maybe add a reverse camera to the screen.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Magown3, have a look at the youtube video I posted above, maybe something there will suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I use the MB iCarsoft 11 OBD reader, and find it very good for what I need..it allow's you to clear existing faults, but not to go too deep, and do damage. It costs about €150, and if you are interested in it, make sure that you buy from registered iCarsoft dealers, as otherwise, you will not be able to access the updates. I got mine from UK Direct. The one that I have is MB specific, but they make them for several makes, so google them ... www.iCarsoft.com have a look and see if you can find what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Can anyone reccomend an android mobile app that can read Ford Focus ABS module error codes or even just read / display the wheel sensor data ?

I'm using a bluetooth OBDII adapter (https://xtrons.com/catalog/product/view/id/901/s/obd-ii-scanner-tool-obd01/). I usually use Torque and find it good but it doesn't read ABS fault codes and neither do any of the several other apps I've tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭tech

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

tech wrote: »
    anyone?
    Its very good on cars/vans/trucks up to 2012 but after that it's not so good even tho its 2016 software.

Thanks Row, what would you recommend software and hardware instead of Delphi and the diag tool

Thanks Row, what would you recommend software and hardware instead of Delphi and the diag tool

Launch X431 is pretty good and is good value plus the sw is up to 2020.
    Autel ap 200 is also pretty good but i would put launch ahead of it...both can reset service, program injectors,Wind back rear calipers, Force dpf regeration etc on most new makes models.
    Let me know if you need more Info.. ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

thanks can you give me more info on these many thanks

thanks can you give me more info on these many thanks

Depends what you will be doing..?
    1,Full time mechanic using diagnostics more than 5 times a day.
    2,Part time mechanic using diagnostics 5 times per week
    3,Diyer using diagnostics Once per month.

option 3! tks:)

option 3! tks:)

Whats your budget..?

150 -200

i have the Delphi 2016 software.

150 -200

i have the Delphi 2016 software.

If your only going using it as diy and you have the 2016 sw then your eBay link is a good starter point...ðŸ‘

just need to confirm that ebay link device will work with the Delphi.

just need to confirm that ebay link device will work with the Delphi.

Yes it should work with delphi autocom and Wurth sw...the quality of these boxes vary so you pay for what ya get.. 🙂

ok thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Jonsturbo2

Hi ,
    Thinking of purchasing an OBD blue tooth reader has anyone any advice or own one they can recommend. I don’t mind paying around 100 Euro for a good one . Or do the 20 Euro ones do the same job ?
    Checking for stored error codes is what I want it for as don’t really need the fancy dash display, unless someone says it’s very handy of course

cheap readers will only read/clear "open" ODB codes & data that manufactures have to allow access to by law, mostly engine / emissions - if that all your after 20 euro one will do with various fee apps such as "torque"

next level up will allow you to access more systems like airbags, ABS etc, (need to carefully check spec)and some manufacturer codes normally 100-400 range

professional level will read data and codes on all systems, plus will allow you to active various systems for testing, run special functions etc, sky is the limit but can be had for 500 up

carly (model specific) Autel and Launch are good new options in the "above 20 euro" range, or you can be into a good used snapon reader for 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭zg3409

Can anyone reccomend an android mobile app that can read Ford Focus ABS module error codes or even just read / display the wheel sensor data ?

I'm using a bluetooth OBDII adapter (https://xtrons.com/catalog/product/view/id/901/s/obd-ii-scanner-tool-obd01/). I usually use Torque and find it good but it doesn't read ABS fault codes and neither do any of the several other apps I've tried.

Depending on model forscan on a windows pc with a USB to ODB adapter with a cable (10 euro) may be able to do this. Forscan is free (mostly) and is a DIY effort for nearly new Mazda and ford cars with odb. Look up your specific car to see if someone has got it to work before. I have programmed additional keys, DPF tests and resets etc.

https://forscan.org/

Its not exactly simple, but is cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Airbag warning light on in a VW Polo 1.2L petrol
    OBD reader needed to diagnose and reset.

Any recommendations for a suitable DIY unit that will do this job but also have functionality that might be useful on other likely jobs or other cars in the family.

It seems I need OBDII standard. I don't think I need real-time readings, data plotting or printing.
    More inclined to a self-contained unit than a bluetooth-ed plug and downloaded software.

I'm considering this reader (€29) in Mick's Garage and I see stacks of them for sale on Adverts.
    Some advice/recommendations welcome. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭John.G

I don't think seat belt faults are part of a OBD standard.

that basic reader will not read airbag / restraint system codes

• Advertisement

Thanks. Seat belt faults? Didn't know that was a possibility.
    I was thinking the likely culprits were: seat/steering wheel connections or disable key-switch. All the more reason to get the right diagnostic.

I'll do some more searching. Any suggestions still welcome.

[Edit]
    Looking at that very helpful youtube video posted earlier and a related website. Hard to justify £115 for a unit with the diagnostic facilty.
    But I found a youtube video of a cheapo unit (U281) that did reset the airbag light - on a Polo. Tempting...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 corollake35

Hi all, I'm looking for a recommendation for an OBD2 scanner / reader that will definitely work on a 2011 opel insignia 2.0 diesel. Something like the Autophix OM123 which I seen being used on YouTube but cannot locate in Ireland. Ideally something cheap €20-€40. I have a reader already, but refuses to read insignia. Any help appreciated. Oh, and I'd like to purchase in Ireland if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Is there likely to be an issue if I use this to erase a code? The code relates to the EGR system.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 corollake35

Can't say for sure, but when I delete the fault code, it doesn't do damage, but it will reappear if the fault isn't fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

It's similar to clicking a dismiss warning on a PC telling you that you need to reboot or something
    It will sometimes clear it for a while, some codes will come up almost instantly again (lambda sensor on a Fiat Punto)
    In my own experience, with an EGR warning on a Passat diesel, it used to clear it for a day, maybe two, then would pop up again until like @corollake35 says, the EGR issue is actually fixed and then once cleared, it stays gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Anyone recommend a scan tool that does manufacturer as well as OBD engine fault codes and reset oil change on an Opel Vivaro 2ltr diesel. I'd appreciate someone that is certain from personal experience about what works rather then a good guess what might.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hi all,
    Could someone point me in the right direction for a fault code reader for a 2006 Toyota Landcruiser 3.0 D4D please.
    Thanks

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭BavarianCare

Airbag warning light on in a VW Polo 1.2L petrol
    OBD reader needed to diagnose and reset.

Any recommendations for a suitable DIY unit that will do this job but also have functionality that might be useful on other likely jobs or other cars in the family.

It seems I need OBDII standard. I don't think I need real-time readings, data plotting or printing.
    More inclined to a self-contained unit than a bluetooth-ed plug and downloaded software.

I'm considering this reader (€29) in Mick's Garage and I see stacks of them for sale on Adverts.
    Some advice/recommendations welcome. Thanks.

The pro level tool is available for DIY price but limited to number of VINs.
    There is nothing that compares to VCDS. Nothing except Odis

I opted to ask a local gge reset it - but the light came on again immediately.
    Error was driver's seat circuit open circuit. Now diagnosed as faulty ABS ECU unit.
    (Almost four weeks later the saga still continues. Might need to start a new thread for advice.)

Its a big jump from a driver's seat circuit code to faulty abs unit, but not impossible, hopefully that sorts for you. Codes only give you pointers to the real problem.

cena wrote: »

Carly is good system, also does option coding which is rare in most other systems, its model specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

scannerd wrote: »
    Carly is good system, also does option coding which is rare in most other systems, its model specific.

Seems to have loads of poor reviews on the Google Play page, mainly to do with the subscription model, which looks to be expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Turns out its more complicated than I thought.

rosstech h\ve them for sale on their site and list an Irish agent, who only lists pro version on their site.

Done deal and adverts full of adds for very cheap cables. Actually bought one came supplied with the software a very genuine looking cable that's marked as a hex-v2 but software recognises as an obsolete hex-usb-can that wont work on my car.

contacted seller who told me I should have installed a cracked loader and put on a dedicated laptop with no antivirus or internet connection.

it's gone in the bin and written off as a lesson learnt..

I'm looking for an enthusiast cable, 3 vins is fine, just to play around with and learn.. Also happy to buy a second hand genuine cable.

Any reputable sellers recommended ?/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

knipex wrote: »
    Turns out its more complicated than I thought.

rosstech h\ve them for sale on their site and list an Irish agent, who only lists pro version on their site.

Done deal and adverts full of adds for very cheap cables. Actually bought one came supplied with the software a very genuine looking cable that's marked as a hex-v2 but software recognises as an obsolete hex-usb-can that wont work on my car.

contacted seller who told me I should have installed a cracked loader and put on a dedicated laptop with no antivirus or internet connection.

it's gone in the bin and written off as a lesson learnt..

I'm looking for an enthusiast cable, 3 vins is fine, just to play around with and learn.. Also happy to buy a second hand genuine cable.

Any reputable sellers recommended ?/
    search "handythings" on adverts, i used them - no issues
    Have no need to use but they claim providing some support
    Don't update, and antivirus need to be disabled during install or exclusion
    If want genuine - go directly to RossTech

• Advertisement
Advertisement