Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diagnostics/scanning tools - what/how/which

• 28-07-2019 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for car scanning tool for one my friend, who is not really in to electronics, but he needed it, as qiet offten need for his and his miss car. Because he lives good bit distance from me, some times i am unable help him.

So looking to get a tool for him, i think about handheld device, not mad expencive, but pretty much capble.

I am goin tomorow to visit him to do diagnostics and clear faults( recently was oil pump shaft broken and turbo on his audi, after repair audi is in permanent limp mode) so might somebody could advice good and reasonably priced scanner.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just use a ELM327 from ebay (ten euro or so) and Torque app myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

biko wrote: »

I just use a ELM327 from ebay (ten euro or so) and Torque app myself

Yea, thats a good option, but my friend not good with electronics, phones or different connections. Bluetooth for him is too complicated.

Looking more kind of stright foreword, handheld with wire, so would be easy enough me explain for him step by step.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Yea, thats a good option, but my friend not good with electronics, phones or different connections. Bluetooth for him is too complicated.

Looking more kind of stright foreword, handheld with wire, so would be easy enough me explain for him step by step.

No offense, but if BT is too complicated for him............

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

can you get a scanner or laptop software at about few hundred that would erase fault codes of most cars, i was looking at launch and theres alot of scanners to choose from and then autocom but can someone recommend something thats good please

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

Mar4ix wrote: »

http://www.uobdii.com/wholesale/launch-x431-crp429c-auto-diagnostic-tool.html

anyone have this, was thinking of purchasing it but not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

pm sent with good source for launch tools

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I was advised by a mate to get a Autel maxicom mk808 for garage as an upgrade from a brain bee and auto boss and needed to update subscription costing e125 per year something that gets overlooked when buying one.

Did the early elm hook up to laptop and usb port also an idea if he has a laptop.+ many things getting used with android phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 somorain

scannerd wrote: »
    pm sent with good source for launch tools

@scannerd : Can you recommend a WiFi OBD2 scan tool that supports wireless infrastructure mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im looking for a recommendation for a diagnostic tool, preferably no more than 100 euro, thats capable of checking airbag issues? thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

From what I know, for anything outside of the ECU you'd need manufacturer-specific diagnostics stuff, or maybe the high-end professional products from the likes of Snap-on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Hi guys anyone ever used the carista pro app for electronic park brake service etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Magown3

Hi,

I've a BMW and would like to purchase a hand held odb2 scanner that will show me fault codes and also force a regen of my dpf.

Anyone out there recommend one that's less than 100 yoyo's?

On the other hand, if there's one out there that you can recommend that can also program the car, I'd be willing to push the budget. Want video in motion and maybe add a reverse camera to the screen.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Magown3, have a look at the youtube video I posted above, maybe something there will suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭jmreire

I use the MB iCarsoft 11 OBD reader, and find it very good for what I need..it allow's you to clear existing faults, but not to go too deep, and do damage. It costs about €150, and if you are interested in it, make sure that you buy from registered iCarsoft dealers, as otherwise, you will not be able to access the updates. I got mine from UK Direct. The one that I have is MB specific, but they make them for several makes, so google them ... www.iCarsoft.com have a look and see if you can find what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Can anyone reccomend an android mobile app that can read Ford Focus ABS module error codes or even just read / display the wheel sensor data ?

I'm using a bluetooth OBDII adapter (https://xtrons.com/catalog/product/view/id/901/s/obd-ii-scanner-tool-obd01/). I usually use Torque and find it good but it doesn't read ABS fault codes and neither do any of the several other apps I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Row

tech wrote: »
    anyone?
    Its very good on cars/vans/trucks up to 2012 but after that it's not so good even tho its 2016 software.

Thanks Row, what would you recommend software and hardware instead of Delphi and the diag tool

Thanks Row, what would you recommend software and hardware instead of Delphi and the diag tool

Launch X431 is pretty good and is good value plus the sw is up to 2020.
    Autel ap 200 is also pretty good but i would put launch ahead of it...both can reset service, program injectors,Wind back rear calipers, Force dpf regeration etc on most new makes models.
    Let me know if you need more Info.. ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

thanks can you give me more info on these many thanks

thanks can you give me more info on these many thanks

Depends what you will be doing..?
    1,Full time mechanic using diagnostics more than 5 times a day.
    2,Part time mechanic using diagnostics 5 times per week
    3,Diyer using diagnostics Once per month.

option 3! tks:)

option 3! tks:)

Whats your budget..?

150 -200

i have the Delphi 2016 software.

150 -200

i have the Delphi 2016 software.

If your only going using it as diy and you have the 2016 sw then your eBay link is a good starter point...ðŸ‘

just need to confirm that ebay link device will work with the Delphi.

just need to confirm that ebay link device will work with the Delphi.

Yes it should work with delphi autocom and Wurth sw...the quality of these boxes vary so you pay for what ya get.. 🙂

ok thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Jonsturbo2

Hi ,
    Thinking of purchasing an OBD blue tooth reader has anyone any advice or own one they can recommend. I don’t mind paying around 100 Euro for a good one . Or do the 20 Euro ones do the same job ?
    Checking for stored error codes is what I want it for as don’t really need the fancy dash display, unless someone says it’s very handy of course

Advertisement