Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHS - Slopes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd imagine the ratings will be controversial.

Yep, we'll have a great time talking about them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Thanks. That answers the DIY question. But the published ones seem to align pretty well with when the GUI started doing them.

yes i think you misunderstood, i was referring to the posted who said some clubs had it for years.

i'm with you on the fact that they need to be rated properly and that has only started in the last few years, so previous slopes must have been DIY jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,162 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So here are some I've collected so far:

Castlewarden (Blue/White/Yellow) = 119 / 117 / 114
    Enniscrone (Blue/White/Yellow/Green) - 133 / 131 / 123 / 111
    Kinsale (Blue/White) - 128 / 125
    Dromoland Castle (Blue/White/Yellow) - 126 / 126 / 124
    Beaufort (Blue/White/Yellow) - 137 / 133 / 129
    Dooks (Blue/White/Yellow) - 122 / 121 / 117
    Tulfarris (Blue/White/Green) - 129 / 125 / 122
    Tipperary (Blue/White/Yellow) - 129 / 127 / 124
    Mount Juliet (Blue/White) - 148 / 136
    Old Head (Black/Blue/White/Yellow) - 142 / 139 / 136 / 129
    Castlemartyr (Blue/White/Red) - 133 / 126 / 131

Some of these came from posters above, some from a quick Google search and some from scorecards from courses I've played lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

We had our visit from the course raters today. For the rating they take into consideration the length of the hole, width of fairway at the likely landing area, positioning of bunkers, length and extent of rough, number of hazards etc. They also tested the quality and speed of the greens ( and were very complimentary about how true the greens were).
    All the readings are subject to computer analysis, the aim being to achieve an objective rather than subjective rating.
    Ratings will not be released until all courses have been surveyed, probably in the summer of 2020. They are not providing courses with estimated ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I'm assuming likely landing area is on a pet day.
    Where I play, our 9th us about 340 yards. Links course. Sutton. Pet day Drive, Sand Wedge. Last Saturday I couldn't reach it in two. I'm a 5 handicapper. Like Corballis on a nice day ye wouldn't know what all the fuss is about. On a more than average coastal windy day it can be soul destroying.

My point is, SSS used to work on course difficulty, length, etc and CSS used to look after all those variances of weather on any given day And your handicap was the same no matter where you teed it up. I don't know how WHS will work.

So in essence your handicap changes from course to course but the course ratings and slopes are constant.

OK this will be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

We had our visit from the course raters today. For the rating they take into consideration the length of the hole, width of fairway at the likely landing area, positioning of bunkers, length and extent of rough, number of hazards etc. They also tested the quality and speed of the greens ( and were very complimentary about how true the greens were).
    All the readings are subject to computer analysis, the aim being to achieve an objective rather than subjective rating.
    Ratings will not be released until all courses have been surveyed, probably in the summer of 2020. They are not providing courses with estimated ratings.

Strange time to be testing green speeds. Most courses would have slower greens this time of year. My own course has lightning fast greens during the summer... in fact some would say it would be part of the course's defence.

If they were tested now however, it certainly would not give a good assessment as to the difficulty of putting on them during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Seriously getting confused now.
    So say I am a current 10 handicap member of Mount Juliet where the slope is (Blue/White) - 148 / 136
    I'm not going to do the maths, but does that mean that after the change I'll be (as an example) a 11 of the whites and 12 off the blues?

Snotty wrote: »
    So say I am a current 10 handicap member of Mount Juliet where the slope is (Blue/White) - 148 / 136
    I'm not going to do the maths, but does that mean that after the change I'll be (as an example) a 11 of the whites and 12 off the blues?

possibly yes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I have a card here from the Island in Donabate and the slope ratings are:
    White 130
    Green 129
    Yellow 124
    Red 121

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

They also tested the quality and speed of the greens ( and were very complimentary about how true the greens were.

Curious, Do you know how they tested the trueness ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

From what I can see, each hole is assessed independently and so have an individual rating for each tee although this would not be published. The individual holes would then be aggregated into an overall course rating which would be published. Individual hole ratigns would be interesting to see too. A course could have 9 very hard rated and 9 very easy rated averaging out to a 113 or could have 18 average rated averaging out to a 113.

Would there be seperate front-9 and back-9 ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Curious, Do you know how they tested the trueness ?

Sorry, no idea.

From what I can see, each hole is assessed independently and so have an individual rating for each tee although this would not be published. The individual holes would then be aggregated into an overall course rating which would be published. Individual hole ratigns would be interesting to see too. A course could have 9 very hard rated and 9 very easy rated averaging out to a 113 or could have 18 average rated averaging out to a 113.

Would there be seperate front-9 and back-9 ratings?
    Probably yes. A bit like SSS, you can request a rating for individual nine hole layouts so that you can run qualifying competitions on them. Our course was SSS rated for the front nine as we hold nine hole competitions in the summer time on weekday evenings. Whether they would rate them like this automatically or on request, I don't know, but I suspect (given what you're saying above about individual hole ratings) that they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

We were given 9-hole slope ratings for each of our 9s too

Snotty wrote: »
    Well first of all your handicap index (new name for handicap) will probably change anyway. This will be calculated on a rolling basis, but also as an average depending on the number of 'qualifying' rounds played. So 96% of average of best 3 from 9, best 5 from 15 and best 8 from 20 - called 'Equitable Gross Score. And then that is entered into the equation I gave before: (EGS - CR) * 113 / SR. That's your Handicap Index.

But when you're playing a different course (either another course or another set of tees), your Handicap Index is adjusted for that set of tees using the following forumula (I left the CR-Par bit out by mistake in a previous post): (HI * SR) / 113 + (CR - Par).

It sounds hellishly complicated, but the computer will do all that work for you and there will also be tables available to check what your HI would be on any given course/set of tees.

But to take your example, I'd need to know the course rating (CR) for both sets of tees. The CR is the scratch golfer's level of difficulty and is pure strokes like SSS. For the sake of simplicity, I'll use the SSS for those tees (73 / 72), Par is 72. The second thing to note is that if you're a member, your handicap index has already been calculated on a rolling basis. Assuming you've been playing off the whites and you're just moving to the greens (Mt. Juliet don't give a SR for the blue tees), then the calculation is: (10 * 136) / 113 + (72-72) = 12.03

Hope that helps. :)

Just one other thing to note. It's envisaged that every tee on every hole will be rated for men and women golfers. Which means that both sexes can play off any set of tees and have their handicap index calculated specifically for those tees. No more men's and lady's tees, just set up a competition and which tees to play from and either sex can play from whichever suits them at the time.

From what I can see, each hole is assessed independently and so have an individual rating for each tee although this would not be published. The individual holes would then be aggregated into an overall course rating which would be published. Individual hole ratings would be interesting to see too.

And isn't there a potential conflict also with hole indices?
    For example, Index 1 might not turn out to have the highest slope rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

But you will never know this, as the most they will publish is the front and back 9s (US Golf are big on pushing the “play 9, post 9” message, so that even if you can only grab 9 after work in the summer, it all counts for index purposes.

What it might do is spark the club committee to revise their index. So if your current index 1 is actually the 3rd hardest hole they might revise that.

On the overall mechanism - I’ve spent the last 3 years playing in the US and at first I found it immensely confusing, but it is an excellent system. The key change will be as a poster highlighted below, your index is now the key number. That is your underlying “handicap” in old money that is comparable against the next fella.your handicap is calculated fresh for every round. If you were a member somewhere like Ballybunion, you could be an 8.0 index, but if you only ever played at BallyB, you’d never actually play off of that, the slope will be at least 125-130 so you’ll always be getting more like 10 shots

To be fair, I'm not sure that hole indices are that accurate anyway. If you look back at scores over a year (assuming you've access to the data), you'll probably find that the hardest holes often aren't the lowest index ones. Our club published the previous year's data in the calendar and although index 1 played as index 1, index 2 was 3rd, index 3 was 2nd, index 4 was 5th etc. Only five holes played to their index. I'm sure if I looked back over a few years I'd probably find them different again.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that the indexes are based on much the same criteria as the slope rating system; how the hole plays for the average bogey golfer. If you look at your high index holes and think about how it would play for someone who can drive the ball 200 yards max, and whether they would reasonably expect to get a GIR on it, you'd probably find that they align pretty well.

Courses should be periodically reviewing & changing their indices on holes anyway.

I'm pretty sure its done annually in my place. Usually on a couple of holes actually change.

Our index 2 & 4 have flipped twice since I joined and, rather strangely, our index 13 & 17 have flipped at some point if I remember correctly

• Advertisement

Courses should be periodically reviewing & changing their indices on holes anyway.

I'm pretty sure its done annually in my place. Usually on a couple of holes actually change.

Our index 2 & 4 have flipped twice since I joined and, rather strangely, our index 13 & 17 have flipped at some point if I remember correctly
    A lot of courses don't do it because of cost. Easy enough change the scorecard when it's due a new print run, but course signage should also be changed and that can cost a good bit depending on how elaborate the signs are.

From reading a bit about Stroke Index, it seems that it's intended for 2 distinct purposes:
    1. designate the difficulty of holes v par for most (bogey?) golfers
    2. award strokes in a matchplay according to handicap differential

The 2 would seem to conflict. For the 2nd purpose, there are a bunch of constraints, such as:
    1. odd SI numbers one 9 and even the other 9
    2. not having low SI numbers as the first or last hole

I had always thought about them more for the diffculty rating. I also thought they had to be agreed with or calculated by the GUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

From reading a bit about Stroke Index, it seems that it's intended for 2 distinct purposes:
    1. designate the difficulty of holes v par for most (bogey?) golfers
    2. award strokes in a matchplay according to handicap differential

The 2 would seem to conflict. For the 2nd purpose, there are a bunch of constraints, such as:
    1. odd SI numbers one 9 and even the other 9
    2. not having low SI numbers as the first or last hole

I had always thought about them more for the diffculty rating. I also thought they had to be agreed with or calculated by the GUI.

U will see a lot of courses with a match play index which differs from a regular one.
    If index 1,2,3 are 16,17,18 the gui wont let u do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

On the overall mechanism - I’ve spent the last 3 years playing in the US and at first I found it immensely confusing, but it is an excellent system. The key change will be as a poster highlighted below, your index is now the key number. That is your underlying “handicap” in old money that is comparable against the next fella.your handicap is calculated fresh for every round. If you were a member somewhere like Ballybunion, you could be an 8.0 index, but if you only ever played at BallyB, you’d never actually play off of that, the slope will be at least 125-130 so you’ll always be getting more like 10 shots

I'm confused about this. I don't have any knowledge of the system so I'm not disagreeing with you, but, if your index is, in fact 8, while being a member of a Ballybunion and playing all your golf there, wouldn't that mean that it was calculated based off you playing a slope of 125-130, so you'd usually be 8 on that course ? but you might be off 6 somewhere else ?
    Just genuinely curious.

Russman wrote: »
    I'm confused about this. I don't have any knowledge of the system so I'm not disagreeing with you, but, if your index is, in fact 8, while being a member of a Ballybunion and playing all your golf there, wouldn't that mean that it was calculated based off you playing a slope of 125-130, so you'd usually be 8 on that course ? but you might be off 6 somewhere else ?
    Just genuinely curious.
    Yeah, that sounds like what it should be. Although slope ratiings can range between 55 and 152 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Just genuinely curious.

Nope, your underlying index is 8, so if you went to a course that is exactly average - 113, you would get 8 shots. If you played off the blues in BB you would get 10 say, but if you pitched up in a flat field somewhere like Slievenamon you would possibly only get 6. This is why the difference between handicap and index is important.

If player A played 20 rounds in a year in ballybunion all at exactly 8 over par, their index would be likely far lower than 8, say 5 (I can do the suns later) as BB is harder than your average course.

If player B is a Royal Slievenamon member and plays 20 rounds 8 over, they would likely have an index somewhere around 11 or so.

That’s because the slope rating either discounts or increases the value of the round you shoot to balance the difficulty of the course.

It’s the same concept as standard scratch really, via a different mathematical route. If BB off the blue tees is par 72 but SSS of 74, this broadly means that par for an 8 handicapper is effectively 10 over, not 8.

Just genuinely curious.

I suppose as an extension of that point, might you argue that everyone should have their start index re-calibrated at the beginning of the changover relative to their home clubs ratings?

So assuming that the new system is introduced on 1/11/2020, if Mr Ballybunion has a handicap of 8 on the 31/10/2020, should they then have a starting handicap index of 6.9 or whatever the number works out at?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Just one other thing to note. It's envisaged that every tee on every hole will be rated for men and women golfers. Which means that both sexes can play off any set of tees and have their handicap index calculated specifically for those tees. No more men's and lady's tees, just set up a competition and which tees to play from and either sex can play from whichever suits them at the time.

yes this is the way it should be. but will it happen? i doubt it.

would make so much sense though. loads of aul lads in my club, would be ideal for them to play the red competition as im sure some of the ladies would equally like to play the green or blue comps.

with handicaps, and especially the new system with slopes etc, there really is no reason why men and women can't compete against each other

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

Not playing mens and womens comps at the same time is a particular bugbear of mine. Most clubs have mens comps on Sunday mornings which is extremely unfair on the women who are now generally paying the same fees. I can understand having separate comps, but play them together for God's sake. It would be better still to have an overall prize like you'd have the divisional ones, but I know that would probably not be allowed because of the different tees.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Not playing mens and womens comps at the same time is a particular bugbear of mine. Most clubs have mens comps on Sunday mornings which is extremely unfair on the women who are now generally paying the same fees. I can understand having separate comps, but play them together for God's sake. It would be better still to have an overall prize like you'd have the divisional ones, but I know that would probably not be allowed because of the different tees.

but they would be allowed.

red comp
    green comp
    white comp
    blue comp

enter whichever one you want

of course i was always thinking you can still have a mens comp and a ladies comp, but you have a good idea there with the divisional prizes

Advertisement