Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

sirmanga wrote: »
    No, they are clearly in the frame, with the brand name on display (which is how you know a movie wants you to notice) while she is standing at the counter in pain. If things like that are framed in a movie, they are there for a reason. For example, and I know this is obvious, or at least it should be, but if you see a movie where a guy is at work or wherever, and we see a copy of The Catcher in the Rye on his desk, it is the filmmaker letting us know that there are parallels between Holden Caulfield and this character we are watching, or at least there is going to be allusions to The Catcher in the Rye. Things are framed in films for a reason, it's not by accident.

If I didn't read this I'd of never even known there was tampons in the scene. God some people look to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

They literally said that line and Sarah said have you seen the bathtub

I know. Before that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭pah

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I enjoyed it for what it was.

I didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

If I didn't read this I'd of never even known there was tampons in the scene. God some people look to be offended.

Where did I say I was offended? I was simply giving my deep read on the film. Which is how many people like to view movies.

Anyway, the tampons thread of discussion is so last week on here. We have now moved onto drapes, box office disaster and bathtubs. Do keep up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

El Duda wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only good 'Terminator sequel' is The Guest.

Watched it last night, was surprised! Thanks for mentioning it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not quite following. This film? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guest_(film)

The TV series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" was actually quite good btw. Much better than the film sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Guest is a great film, love it, shades of The Terminator and Universal Soldier. Exactly what I meant about Terminator needing to go back to it's roots and start again; The Guest cost $5m to make, a low-key rebooted Terminator could be made for $10-20m easily rather than the bloated 150-180m budgets for Genisys and Dark Fate.

Another recent low-budget film in that vein which is excellent is 'Upgrade', that one apparently only cost $3m though it looks like a film costing many times more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've not seen The Guest but considering the wikipedia synopsis for it, which doesn't mentioned anything like Terminator themes, is comparing it to a Terminator film a bit (or a lot?) of a spoiler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I'd say the Guest is somewhere between the Terminator and the Hitcher, without the car.

Homelander is spot on, they need to drop Terminator for 10 years imo, and when they come back to it, no megastars, no massive budget. Possibly don't even call it Terminator. Possibly a riff on the Cloverfield series, they've had two movies closely related, set in the same universe, but not exactly the same.

They need to come at it from another angle too. Something like, once you go back in time, you **** with quantum physics and this was Skynet's real plan, to chain humanity in a causal loop from which there is no escape - so there is always some kind of Skynet (they missed a great chance to allude to something like this with Legion imo - constants and variables as seen in Bioshock Infinite), always a Judgment Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not really. As I said, it's shades of both Terminator and Universal Soldier, but I think the fact that it was billed as a generic thriller is why it didn't do well commerically, despite being a critically well received film.

It's out a good few years now, and just being a 'thriller' undersells it, I would say anyone who hasn't seen it at this stage likely wouldn't unless given a good reason to (eg, on a thread like this). I saw it in the cinema and we were the only people in the screen!

It's reminscint of movies like Terminator and Universal Soldier, without being directly comparable, it's very much its own thing, but just a whole lot more than what it's presented as.

I would never have watched it on the back of the synopsis, I only went to see it because it was made by Adam Wingard and I was quite positive it was not going to be just a run-of-the-mill thriller film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The Red Letter Media review made a decent point that human-looking killer robots don't make as much "sense" in 2019 as they did in 1984 or 1991.

If you absolutely need to send a mechanical robot, why would you give it human form at all? Just send some twirly knife machine and go fu*k sh*t up.

Or send nanobots and turn everything into grey goo.

Or send a biologically engineered virus which specifically targets Sarah/John/whoever.

Or just send a laptop with a mobile network connection and some future AI software to hack satellites, find the target, nuke them from orbit.

Or a thousand other things which make more sense than a slow bipedal robot shaped like a bodybuilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's definitely better than T3 and Genisys (Which is dreadful).

Probably on a par with Salvation.

Enjoyable enough popcorn flicks, but not a patch on the first two films.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Goodshape wrote: »
    I've not seen The Guest but considering the wikipedia synopsis for it, which doesn't mentioned anything like Terminator themes, is comparing it to a Terminator film a bit (or a lot?) of a spoiler?

'The Guest' is more psycho on the rampage, than future robot on the rampage. There's strains in there that are similar but it's got nothing to do with 'The Terminator' really.

The poster had his tongue in his cheek when he said "it was the best sequel". ;)

I suspect what he meant was that these films can be done fairly simply and don't need 100 million + silly money to produce. However, you can thank Cameron and that stupid liquid robot nonsense from 'Terminator 2' for that trend. Now every bloody Terminator has to have this ridiculous ability to morph into anything it wishes, but still have to have a scrap against Arnie. :rolleyes: That coupled with physics deifying, CGI drenched, set pieces, means a ludicrous mission creep for the bean counters and the budget gets out of hand.

But, none of it has resulted in a better film than the simple 1984 original and it never will.

I'm kind of happy that this has crashed, because hopefully that will be the end of this wretched franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

People are calling DF the franchise killer.

T2 was the actual franchise killer (in a good way) because it left nothing to work with at all.

The story could not have been anymore finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

T2 was the actual franchise killer (in a good way) because it left nothing to work with at all.

People are morons. Genesis was far far worse. They should of had the balls to continue with the Salvation trilogy. The leaks about the 2 after sounded great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I would say the actual T3 was. There was a demand amongst fans for a full on future war. T3, Geniysis and Dark Fate cockily tried to get there through planned sequels as opposed to just giving the fans what they wanted head on.

Salvation in a weird way deserves respect for trying to give that future war to us head on; too bad there were producers and a director who were at the helm who didn't deserve to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

People are morons. Genesis was far far worse. They should of had the balls to continue with the Salvation trilogy. The leaks about the 2 after sounded great.

Yes, I loved salvation, was disappointed they didn't continue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Calhoun wrote: »
    Yes, I loved salvation, was disappointed they didn't continue it.

Yeah it sounded wild. The future war brought to the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yeah it sounded wild. The future war brought to the present.

They could have done so much with it, some of the crazy theories out there on terminator and the timeline also lend themselves so well to story telling. Its a shame they don't expand on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Goodshape wrote: »
    The Red Letter Media review made a decent point that human-looking killer robots don't make as much "sense" in 2019 as they did in 1984 or 1991.

If you absolutely need to send a mechanical robot, why would you give it human form at all? Just send some twirly knife machine and go fu*k sh*t up.

Or send nanobots and turn everything into grey goo.

Or send a biologically engineered virus which specifically targets Sarah/John/whoever.

Or just send a laptop with a mobile network connection and some future AI software to hack satellites, find the target, nuke them from orbit.

Or a thousand other things which make more sense than a slow bipedal robot shaped like a bodybuilder.

The whole point of sending them back is an act of self preservation. Ideally the Terminators shouldn't be killing anyone other than it's intended target, but nuking LA might bring about it's own demise if e.g. Dyson gets incinerated in 1984 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I wanted to see more Salvation aswell but done better , Where's the saving private ryan with Terminators we deserve haha

Honestly though that would work with them searching for a young John Connor instead of Private Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Homelander is spot on, they need to drop Terminator for 10 years imo, and when they come back to it, no megastars, no massive budget. Possibly don't even call it Terminator. Possibly a riff on the Cloverfield series, they've had two movies closely related, set in the same universe, but not exactly the same.

I disagree, I think they should stop making terminator movies altogether. T1 was excellent, still holds up today. T2 was absolutely terrific and closed the story - they should have just left it at that. For me, thats the franchise.

T3 was embarrasing, Salvation was meh, Genisys was one of the worst films I've ever seen, an absolute mess. And now this nonsense.

The whole sending people back in time to kill the future leader of the world is jaded and boring, its been going on since 1984.

Just let it die, put it out of its misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Terminator is a franchise that really needs to die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or... pull a Blumhouse / Joker and give it a small budget & hungry production team with the creative freedom to go wild. Let them do their own thing with it, and if it had a $50 million budget, the chances of success would be much higher: I might be the only one who thinks it, and have said it already way back in the thread, but I honestly believe the Terminator franchise could have a future - if they STOPPED setting it around modern-day. Overlord, but with Terminators, would be awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

pixelburp wrote: »
    Or... pull a Blumhouse / Joker and give it a small budget & hungry production team with the creative freedom to go wild. Let them do their own thing with it, and if it had a $50 million budget, the chances of success would be much higher: I might be the only one who thinks it, and have said it already way back in the thread, but I honestly believe the Terminator franchise could have a future - if they STOPPED setting it around modern-day. Overlord, but with Terminators, would be awesome.

Agreed. I actually liked Salvation's premise until it's many deep and glaring flaws and plot holes just ruined it for me. I'd like to see a fresh, Arnie-free take on the franchise which I think is part of the reason why I liked Dark Fate.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agreed. I actually liked Salvation's premise until it's many deep and glaring flaws and plot holes just ruined it for me. I'd like to see a fresh, Arnie-free take on the franchise which I think is part of the reason why I liked Dark Fate.

I think it's true of a lot of these franchises now: the 'laws' of scale in Hollywood have made these IPs now impossible to cultivate success, yet many of them started life as low-mid budget films: Terminator; Alien; Predator; etc.

IIRC Terminator 1 had a 700k budget, with fair share of "guerilla" shooting; pull it back to its roots and suddenly box office success could be marked at the $200 million mark.

Of course, whether there's an appetite for my Battle of the Bulge Terminator film is another matter; lord knows what'll happen the franchise when Arnie shuffles off this mortal coil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a cheesy TV sitcom with Arnie, canned laughter the works. Ex Terminator tries to negotiate current year?

Personally I'd like to see a movie that deals with the initial rise of the machines, maybe best no time travelling robots and isn't based on a single nuke everything at the same time. The AI have its own human mercenaries or maybe even a Baltar type character as well as it hacking various main frames.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    a cheesy TV sitcom with Arnie, canned laughter the works. Ex Terminator tries to negotiate current year?

Personally I'd like to see a movie that deals with the initial rise of the machines, maybe best no time travelling robots and isn't based on a single nuke everything at the same time. The AI have its own human mercenaries or maybe even a Baltar type character as well as it hacking various main frames.

So... ... basically, you want Battlestar Galactica. Cos... we got that. It was called Battlestar Galactica :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think it's true of a lot of these franchises now: the 'laws' of scale in Hollywood have made these IPs now impossible to cultivate success, yet many of them started life as low-mid budget films: Terminator; Alien; Predator; etc.

IIRC Terminator 1 had a 700k budget, with fair share of "guerilla" shooting; pull it back to its roots and suddenly box office success could be marked at the $200 million mark.

Of course, whether there's an appetite for my Battle of the Bulge Terminator film is another matter; lord knows what'll happen the franchise when Arnie shuffles off this mortal coil.

I love the dirty, gritty feeling that the original captured so well - the squalid apartment Arnie fixes his arm in, the seedy nightclub and the crummy restaurant that Sarah works in. It just made the film feel more real and sinister.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement