Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Rate ESB meter

Options
  • 12-11-2019 6:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is a cost involved in switching from a day/night meter back to a standard meter.

Ive heard it may be as much as 200 euro, but not sure how true this is.
    Im not sure why there would be a cost anyway, there is no physical work needed (I think)

The physical work would have happneed when installing the extra night meter whenever it was requested, and this install is free, as far as I am aware.
    You would imagine any charge here would be at the time of install of the night meter............................not to move away from it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Do you mean separate night meter or day/night single meter

As far as I recall there was a charge to change back from day/night

I think maybe not with the separate night meter, not sure

Prices will be on the website anyhow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Twister2 wrote: »
    Do you mean separate night meter or day/night single meter

As far as I recall there was a charge to change back from day/night

I think maybe not with the separate night meter, not sure

hi, a seperate night meter I think

on a 2004 house, so presume its still the old anlaog meter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We are all getting smart meters over the next two years or so. They will be removing night and day meters then. It might be worth waiting for them to remove the meter free of charge.

I wonder if there is any way to find out if your area will be getting replacement meters soon?

EDIT Maybe this helps https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/esb-smart-meters-locations-2019

Cork & Midlands

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We are all getting smart meters over the next two years or so. They will be removing night and day meters then. It might be worth waiting for them to remove the meter free of charge.

I wonder if there is any way to find out if your area will be getting replacement meters soon?

EDIT Maybe this helps https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/esb-smart-meters-locations-2019

Cork & Midlands

Right. So with this new initiative, the chance of having to pay to revert back to the standard meter may not be valid anymore. I hope.

• Advertisement

Right. So with this new initiative, the chance of having to pay to revert back to the standard meter may not be valid anymore. I hope.

That's my thought yes. The question is is it cheaper to pay now to remove it or to wait & get it done for free. I think if you are in Cork or the Midlands you are better off waiting.

That's my thought yes. The question is is it cheaper to pay now to remove it or to wait & get it done for free. I think if you are in Cork or the Midlands you are better off waiting.

Don’t get you. For me now, I can change to a night meter for free. No cost.

Don’t get you. For me now, I can change to a night meter for free. No cost.

I've no idea of costs. It was your original post where you suggested a possible 200 fee that got me thinking about the new smart meters

I've no idea of costs. It was your original post where you suggested a possible 200 fee that got me thinking about the new smart meters

It’s free to go to a night meter right now.
    The cost of 200 (So I have heard) can be for changing back to the standard 24 hour setup.........

.........This is what I am trying to figure out, is this 200 cost to revert back a thing in the real world? Or just something the energia/SSE/Airtricity etc call centre staff are told to say when you are contemplating switching to a night meter.

That seems to be the ballpark figure 200 for a change back

It's ESBN that charge not the provider

• Advertisement

That seems to be the ballpark figure 200 for a change back

It's ESBN that charge not the provider

Right, so are you saying there is definitely a charge of about 200 to change back?

Right, so are you saying there is definitely a charge of about 200 to change back?

Ya it's on table 5.1 ESBN charges

Removal of NSH meter and timeclock 171+ vat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

On the subject of changing, has anyone paid for a change recently and had a smart meter installed? Need to have an old meter replaced/tails connected post rewire, but esbn customer service cant confirm if a smart or standard meter will be used as the replacement.

Right. Flippin cod really.

I’ve heard of people getting it waived etc though.

Right. Flippin cod really.

I’ve heard of people getting it waived etc though.

I presume it goes on your providers bill then, the ESBN charge.
    I'm guessing that's how it works

Same for nightsaver changing back to standard

The first change to nightsaver is free

I got a night meter in today. Digital setup. It’s just 1 physical meter and you can scroll between day, night etc. See attached.

There is No old school spinning wheel to show how fast you are using electricity.

Also on the old one, you could see decimal places like 4.3 or whatever, this new only seems to show whole numbers. Or else I’m looking at it wrong.

How much does it cost to run a tumble dryer for an hour?

How do you go about doing the calculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I got a night meter in today. Digital setup. It’s just 1 physical meter and you can scroll between day, night etc. See attached.

There is No old school spinning wheel to show how fast you are using electricity.

Also on the old one, you could see decimal places like 4.3 or whatever, this new only seems to show whole numbers. Or else I’m looking at it wrong.

Feel your pain !

Missed the fractional counter on the old meter too :D

What makes up for this to a certain extent is the LED on the meter. 1000 blips they say is one kWhr. If you have a stopwatch on your mobile ( I use a candybar Nokia:p for this ) for light loads you can measure the number of seconds between blips.

For example if you measure 10 seconds between blips then you can reckon on 6 blips per minute or 360 blips per hour - which I gather looks like 360Whr to the meter :)

For heavy loads try to count the number of blips per 10 or 20 seconds and work from that.

Do you heat water with an immersion ? If so have you got it on a time clock ?

Have fun with your new D/N setup :D

Hi. I got a new meter installed but presume it doesn't really matter for the question I am about to ask.

Attached is a pic of the old meter (don’t have new meter pic handy). I bought one of these owl electricity monitor things?

On what cable do I attach the clamp to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi. I got a new meter installed but presume it doesn't really matter for the question I am about to ask.

Attached is a pic of the old meter (don’t have new meter pic handy). I bought one of these owl electricity monitor things?

The brown cable.

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    The brown cable.

I’m kinda colour blind. Is brown the one on the very right?
    Or the one coming from pipe at bottom?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I’m kinda colour blind. Is brown the one on the very right?
    Or the one coming from pipe at bottom?

Either the brown or the blue. It won’t matter which as they both carry the same current.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Where did you get the Owl device and how much?

Thanks.

jprboy wrote: »
    Where did you get the Owl device and how much?

Thanks.

Hi. I got it from eBay and from a seller in the U.K. all in 20 Euro. A decent bargain. They can be up to 40 etc.

Also keep an eye on Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭meercat

5500 wrote: »
    On the subject of changing, has anyone paid for a change recently and had a smart meter installed? Need to have an old meter replaced/tails connected post rewire, but esbn customer service cant confirm if a smart or standard meter will be used as the replacement.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Plus the costs to get a cert to show consumer unit is save connected to the other unit or is removed
    They wont just remove the NSH meter
    Have here the same problem need a cert for removal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Smart meters are rolling out, better off waiting for the install than paying to get it changed out.

Got my night meter installed a few months back.

Have been charging car and all good.

Overnight has the night rate times switched from midnight to 9am (as opposed to 11-8am?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Smart meter installed here, in Cork, two weeks ago by TLI on ESB contract. He changed the box as well as it was leaking.

Advertisement