Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US is closed and that is it?

Options
  • 11-11-2019 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am a 23 years old and have been working in IT for the past year. I also have a bachelors degree in computer science. It's seems like the young people of this generation get screwed in absolutely everything, unaffordable houses, insane prices (try getting a car insured under 25 for a reasonable price etc).

What are the chances of me successfully moving to USA? Should I forget about it and move on with my life and try Australia or Canada maybe? I'd rather just stay in Ireland tbh than try either of these countries.

I work for an international IT corporation which seems to have many people working from other parts of Europe (France, Spain, Italy, Germany) in the European HQ if that helps. My specialization is systems admin/engineering. Should I change over to software development to improve my chances?

Also I do not know how often this happens that an employee gets transferred to another country. Should I only even attempt when I get like 10-20 years of experience?
    Thinking I might get laughed out of the office for even asking.

Just wondering if I should keep dreaming or just move on. Basically, do I have a better chance of winning euromillions rather than get transferred by my own company on l1 or h1 visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

What's so special about the US?
    They are plenty of opportunities in Europe and even Canada. You might even find work in Canada that will give you more opportunities to get to the states.

If you want to go to the US you could try the J1 or the internship program for grads and young professionals. You could marry an american (if you're not already in a relationship, this is quite a decent option if you can work legally in the US while searching for "the one".) You could get a job in a company based in the US and try your best for a transfer - at least temporarily. And you could try the greencard lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

If you really want to go to the US, here are two concrete options for someone in your position:

1. Get a job at Google Dublin and after a year ask for a transfer to Mountain View. If you're good at your job you're basically guaranteed to get it. The Google case I know from the ~10 friends of mine who work there, but I think the same also applies at Facebook.

2. Go to the US for a masters in CS. The tricky thing is paying for it a good University, though if you need a loan you'll pay it back pretty quickly given that the gross salaries in SF are double those in Dublin, the taxes are quite lower, and the cost of living is not that much higher. After your masters you can work for 3 years in the US on your F-1 visa, which is enough time to get on H-1B or far enough in the green card process to have work authorization from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

If you really want to go to the US, here are two concrete options for someone in your position:

1. Get a job at Google Dublin and after a year ask for a transfer to Mountain View. If you're good at your job you're basically guaranteed to get it. The Google case I know from the ~10 friends of mine who work there, but I think the same also applies at Facebook.

I did this with Apple. Plenty of people here in Cupertino have been transferred over from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JasonJenova

Thank you all for responses. I've seen that some of you suggested internship/college. The thing is, I am getting paid fairly well and would lose this opportunity. I also work for a us multinational who's headquartered in silicon valley which might be my ticket to US.
    Another thing that may be an issue. I fill in an important position in the company for where I'm based and I'm the only one doing this work unlike a team of software developers.
    Would this matter? Me moving to US would make my current position empty and a replacement would be needed, therefore the request to be relocated would almost certainly be rejected as without me, there is no one else to do the job in here unless they hire someone else? I guess if I was part of the software development team, it wouldn't matter because they could get a replacement easily and it wouldn't affect things too much. Or this does not matter?

2. Go to the US for a masters in CS. The tricky thing is paying for it a good University, though if you need a loan you'll pay it back pretty quickly given that the gross salaries in SF are double those in Dublin, the taxes are quite lower, and the cost of living is not that much higher. After your masters you can work for 3 years in the US on your F-1 visa, which is enough time to get on H-1B or far enough in the green card process to have work authorization from that.

Is Google and Facebook the only ones doing it? Or is it uncommon for other companies to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is Google and Facebook the only ones doing it? Or is it uncommon for other companies to do it?

Probably not

And obviously not every one in Google or Facebook get the opportunity.

It all depends on the the company and the internal organisation within the company

But as another poster suggested why not try Canada for a start, you can get a working visa pretty easily at your age.

Probably not

It all depends on the the company and the internal organisation within the company

But as another poster suggested why not try Canada for a start, you can get a working visa pretty easily at your age.

Yes, I could easily get a Canadian visa but going to Canada would defeat any purpose of moving.
    While a minor reason for most, for me good weather is essential if I'm going to make such a big change in my life and I'd rather do it by going somewhere that I will really enjoy. I get great satisfaction out of outdoor activities. Most of Canada gets worse weather than Ireland. Even Vancouver which doesn't usually get snow puts Ireland to shame in terms of misery.
    The only way I would move is if I had a guarantee that I would end up living in US at some point but I don't think Canadians get any special privileges.
    While Australia is also an option, it doesn't match with my interests (nanny state, stupid laws...) so weather again is not the only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Yes, I could easily get a Canadian visa but going to Canada would defeat any purpose of moving.
    While a minor reason for most, for me good weather is essential if I'm going to make such a big change in my life and I'd rather do it by going somewhere that I will really enjoy. I get great satisfaction out of outdoor activities. Most of Canada gets worse weather than Ireland. Even Vancouver which doesn't usually get snow puts Ireland to shame in terms of misery.
    The only way I would move is if I had a guarantee that I would end up living in US at some point but I don't think Canadians get any special privileges.
    While Australia is also an option, it doesn't match with my interests (nanny state, stupid laws...) so weather again is not the only thing.
    No it doesn't. Toronto also has gorgeous and warm summers with mild Springs and Winters.

Oh "nanny state", right I can see why you only want the US. Nothing to do with your actual quality of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The stuff above is outdated. Even big companies are finding it difficult to transfer employees now. A few years ago this was easy, but now there are people being forced to leave USA after their student visa expired - even tho they work fulltime for an american company.

If you're working in sales or HR in these companies, sure you can't do this, but the OP would be working there as a software engineer. Software engineers in big tech companies are basically guaranteed to get transfers they ask for.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    The stuff above is outdated. Even big companies are finding it difficult to transfer employees now.

It's really not. I know employees at big tech companies who have made these kinds of transfers in the last 3 months.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    A few years ago this was easy, but now there are people being forced to leave USA after their student visa expired - even tho they work fulltime for an american company.

That's a different problem. The problem there is that the work authorization on STEM F-1 is relatively short, at 3 years. I don't think this has anything to do with companies being able to get L-1 transfer visas, like the OP would be getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Cost of living in SF is not that much higher, dream on pal.

Why don't you tell your manager that, in the near term, you're interested in moving to the US and if it would be possible to do that within your company? If they say yes then you can try to push it through. If they say no then you can look for positions in other companies that will do it.

Worth pointing out that right now, late 2019, the US economy is the strongest it's been in 50 years, the world economy is doing pretty well, and the tech sector in particular is really really strong. This is a good time, as a tech employee, to be asking for things like immigration benefits. In 2 or 5 years time when the downturn inevitably comes, you'll be in less of a strong negotiating position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

...It's seems like the young people of this generation get screwed in absolutely everything, unaffordable houses, insane prices (try getting a car insured under 25 for a reasonable price etc).
    ... The thing is, I am getting paid fairly well ... I also work for a us multinational who's headquartered in silicon valley which might be my ticket to US.

Have you looked into the cost of living where you want to move to?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

And do you also realise that the housing market in SF is one of the most expensive in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭cr-07

I am in a very similar position as OP. I'm a software developer working in a multinational company. They have offices all over the world and I'm very interested in moving to London within the next year. I only recently graduated and have been working in this company since July. I'm on a probationary period until January 1st, but everyone I spoke to has told me they keep everyone on after the probation period. What do ye reckon my chances are of getting a transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

1 - Yes, I could easily get a Canadian visa

2 - good weather is essential - Most of Canada gets worse weather than Ireland.

3- The only way I would move is if I had a guarantee that I would end up living in US at some point but I don't think Canadians get any special privileges.

Listen carefully OP. It is yourself from the future here. I had an identical post to yours just a couple of years ago. What if I told you, that you could be living in America, sipping margaritas on a sunny southern Californian beach in 5 years time?

I worked as a Software Engineer (not developer). I thought devs had a better chance at getting transfers. I did all my research and asked the question on Boards 'why the F*** can't I work in America ....blah blah blah.'

The responses on here were similar and they said 'why the obsession with America why don't you try blah blah blah.' Of course I dismissed their silly notions immediately as I was gonna live the 'American Dream'. I felt cheated that a lovely, educated, Irish man would be denied the land of the free home of the brave. After all I had spent thousands vacationing every year in most big US cities, come on, just let me in.

Two or three years passed along with visa lottery applications etc. Keeping my eye on all the US visa news and posts. Still visiting the US each year. Then funnily enough in 2017 I was watching 'bowling for columbine'. All the gun violence and mass shootings in the news still stood up to the 2002 movie. One of the next scenes changed my life. The camera pans across a Sh*ty Detroit street and over the Detroit river to Windsor, Ontario, Canada. 'There was zero gun deaths in Windsor last year, just across the US border' the voice over says. A few light bulbs went off for me. Firstly how much safer and saner the Canadians were. They owned more guns per person than America. That city suffered worse unemployment than the neighbouring US city. And you could see America.

'Wow' I thought, 'If I lived there I could visit America all the time. Now to address some of the points above.
    2 - good weather is essential - Most of Canada gets worse weather than Ireland.

False - Toronto hit 40C this summer. You can wear shorts+t-shiirt from start of June till end of September. On average temps are mid 20's and weeks of 30's weather are normal. Basically Spain during the summer here in Toronto, think jet skis, beaches and babes.
    3- The only way I would move is if I had a guarantee that I would end up living in US at some point but I don't think Canadians get any special privileges.

False - Any Canadian citizen may work for any American employer without the need for sponsorship / greencard / hoop jumping. All you need is a job offer. Simply nail an interview and boom you're living your American Dream.
    1 - Yes, I could easily get a Canadian visa

You should get one. It's easy to be approved but not "easy" to get as there is lots of paper work but the online wizard keeps track of everything. Google 'IEC visa'

My buddy from Ireland has citizenship now - 5 years after leaving Ireland. Could work in the states if he wanted but loves Alberta too much now.

I'm starting PR application because I'm sick of Dublin scanger, junkies, kip holes and nanny state bollocks.

Any questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

shesty wrote: »
    And do you also realise that the housing market in SF is one of the most expensive in the world?

And you do realize why that is, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You sound pretty naive. Vancouver has decent weather, sure the winters are a bit rainy but the summers are good (aside from forest fires) and there's plenty to do outdoors in summer and winter - for winters I live 20 minutes from a ski slope and often head up after work. You say California has nice weather but did you miss the part about the wildfires that have caused PG&E to start rolling power cuts? Also California is probably one of the most expensive places to live, not just in terms and housing but in terms of fuel, groceries etc...

And Canadian citizens do get special privileges, they can apply for a TN visa which they can get at the border and only requires a job offer from a US employer.

Vancouver is a good option, salaries have increased significantly in the last couple of years and there's plenty of SV companies opening or expanding offices here.

5 years time jme2010 on the Irish Times, as a returning emigrant!
    I thought when I left Ireland 10 years ago it was a kip, etc like you think now, but times change. I have relations in Canada who don't think much of the place as well.
    Everybody's experience is different I guess.
    As somebody who returned to Dublin, I don't see the skangers. But I guess sometimes we see what we want to see.

jme2010 wrote: »
    False - Any Canadian citizen may work for any American employer without the need for sponsorship / greencard / hoop jumping. All you need is a job offer. Simply nail an interview and boom you're living your American Dream.

I presume you're talking about the TN Visa here. If so, I personally wouldn't take it for granted too much; it's known to be pretty delicate for software engineers in particular: https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/9yhujn/tn_visas_denied_for_canadian_software_engineers/

Saying that, definitely with you about Canada being a good choice. I didn't realize the weather was so mild in Toronto. I heard great things about that city but am always frightened about moving north :D

• Advertisement

cr-07 wrote: »
    I am in a very similar position as OP. I'm a software developer working in a multinational company. They have offices all over the world and I'm very interested in moving to London within the next year. I only recently graduated and have been working in this company since July. I'm on a probationary period until January 1st, but everyone I spoke to has told me they keep everyone on after the probation period. What do ye reckon my chances are of getting a transfer?

I honestly don't think anyone here would be in a position to answer that

We have no idea what sort of a company you are working in

Whether they have a need for your skill in the London location or not

What your individual organisation within the company does etc etc

It's way to board a question

The answer is in the place you work, not here

If you're working in sales or HR in these companies, sure you can't do this, but the OP would be working there as a software engineer. Software engineers in big tech companies are basically guaranteed to get transfers they ask for.

It's really not. I know employees at big tech companies who have made these kinds of transfers in the last 3 months.

That's a different problem. The problem there is that the work authorization on STEM F-1 is relatively short, at 3 years. I don't think this has anything to do with companies being able to get L-1 transfer visas, like the OP would be getting.

That's a bit of a generalisation

Lots of factors in why people do and don't get transfers

Your a being very short signed and to be honest naive OP.

If you really would like to go somewhere just go, don't be ruling places out because of weather.
    The weather in North America in general is fantastic.
    Sure they get cold snowy winters, but they are also guaranteed hot dry summers, something we don't get here.

I would not put too much stock in your opinions of places regarding "stupid laws", "nanny state" etc.

Go live there for a while an then decide if they have "stupid laws", or are a "nanny state" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

As someone living in the States, it may be easier to make a living but some of the stuff here, really fries your brain. Yes the money is better, yes the weather can be better (Mind you at the moment its -20C outside and pretty crap). Far away fields are green.

A few things to remember here. You don’t have the same workers rights here as you have in Ireland. You WILL be working longer hours and the holidays are ridiculously short. If you can balance the pros with the cons (same as any new country) it will be well worth it.

Always have enough in the bank for that emergency flight home (It always IS needed).

The States is no walk in the park, it can be a very tough environment to work in, especially if you are by yourself. BUT.....(always a but) It can work out beneficially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I am a 23 years old and have been working in IT for the past year. I also have a bachelors degree in computer science. It's seems like the young people of this generation get screwed in absolutely everything, unaffordable houses, insane prices (try getting a car insured under 25 for a reasonable price etc).

What are the chances of me successfully moving to USA? Should I forget about it and move on with my life and try Australia or Canada maybe? I'd rather just stay in Ireland tbh than try either of these countries.

I work for an international IT corporation which seems to have many people working from other parts of Europe (France, Spain, Italy, Germany) in the European HQ if that helps. My specialization is systems admin/engineering. Should I change over to software development to improve my chances?

Also I do not know how often this happens that an employee gets transferred to another country. Should I only even attempt when I get like 10-20 years of experience?
    Thinking I might get laughed out of the office for even asking.

Just wondering if I should keep dreaming or just move on. Basically, do I have a better chance of winning euromillions rather than get transferred by my own company on l1 or h1 visa?

You sound like you already gave up.

That's a bit of a generalisation

Lots of factors in why people do and don't get transfers

At a big tech company, I think not really. Do you have experience at a big tech company to contradict this? My experience is that at big tech your position is so anonymous that your specific circumstances don't actually matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

At a big tech company, I think not really. Do you have experience at a big tech company to contradict this? My experience is that at big tech your position is so anonymous that your specific circumstances don't actually matter.

I don't think it's that simple, I've seen transfer requests refused before because there's no business justification even in big tech companies. It's not just a matter of convincing USICS that the visa is justified (which in itself is an expensive process) but also the cost of relocating the employee and also paying any difference in salary between the 2 markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

OP, if you think Dublin is expensive, get ready for Mountain View.

I always laugh when people give out about our nanny state, is it better to live in a country where a 16 year old can buy a AK47 and run around a shopping centre shooting innocent people out shopping?
    Give me the nanny state any day!
    Also I agree, get used to much shorter holidays, longer working weeks, but yep you will probably earn more. The far away hills are always green.

Now having said that, I would recommend living abroad to anybody for a few years.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't. Toronto also has gorgeous and warm summers with mild Springs and Winters.

Oh "nanny state", right I can see why you only want the US. Nothing to do with your actual quality of living.

I don't think the winters are mild compared to Ireland. I use Ireland as a baseline, sure they're not as bad as Greenland but compared to Ireland they must be much worse? I've never been to Canada but planning to go for a visit relatively soon. I have 2 friends who moved and they said they wouldn't come back for any reason.

I would like to visit in winter to experience it myself. Does Toronto or Vancouver get this wind chill factor we get here? I think this makes -10 in some countries more bearable than +5 in here.

Not sure what you mean by the second part of your post. From my research, what the US has over Ireland.

-Bigger and cheaper houses. Would be living in the outskirts and commute.
    -Higher pay in IT fields.
    -Much better weather and sunshine. Even the cold states with miserable winters get almost double the sunshine.
    -*Better work life balance?
    This one obviously varies from company to company, where I currently work, majority of people in the US offices work from home. Where I work, in Dublin, I am forced to come in to work and sit in the office every day.
    -Regulations... You want to own an 6l engine BMW? Absolutely no problem. Try doing that in Ireland.

I don't like government telling me what is best for me, I am an adult and I can decide. I don't smoke but I don't need to see these disgusting packets of cigarettes everywhere showing me how it is bad. Sugar tax, what the hell? I've seen proposals in the UK making "unhealthy food" have plain packaging. I am almost certain that it will be the future.
    I don't smoke but I like to eat some nice unhealthy food once in a while. Nanny state governments just want you to be healthy and pay taxes so that they can extract most from you. Don't get sick as this would cost us money and we would have to pay from our pockets = losing your value.
    Cost of living in SF is not that much higher, dream on pal.
    shesty wrote: »
    Have you looked into the cost of living where you want to move to?

I would not move to SF area as I couldn't afford it, even with more than double my salary. When I read that people making 100k+ struggle and have to really save, it puts me off the place completely. The only reason I would move is if my salary was very high where I could afford the cost of living.
    There isn't a major IT presence in SF. If I were to move then I would be moving to the outskirts of Dallas, TX.
    jme2010 wrote: »
    Listen carefully OP. It is yourself from the future here. I had an identical post to yours just a couple of years ago. What if I told you, that you could be living in America, sipping margaritas on a sunny southern Californian beach in 5 years time?

I worked as a Software Engineer (not developer). I thought devs had a better chance at getting transfers. I did all my research and asked the question on Boards 'why the F*** can't I work in America ....blah blah blah.'

The responses on here were similar and they said 'why the obsession with America why don't you try blah blah blah.' Of course I dismissed their silly notions immediately as I was gonna live the 'American Dream'. I felt cheated that a lovely, educated, Irish man would be denied the land of the free home of the brave. After all I had spent thousands vacationing every year in most big US cities, come on, just let me in.

Two or three years passed along with visa lottery applications etc. Keeping my eye on all the US visa news and posts. Still visiting the US each year. Then funnily enough in 2017 I was watching 'bowling for columbine'. All the gun violence and mass shootings in the news still stood up to the 2002 movie. One of the next scenes changed my life. The camera pans across a Sh*ty Detroit street and over the Detroit river to Windsor, Ontario, Canada. 'There was zero gun deaths in Windsor last year, just across the US border' the voice over says. A few light bulbs went off for me. Firstly how much safer and saner the Canadians were. They owned more guns per person than America. That city suffered worse unemployment than the neighbouring US city. And you could see America.

'Wow' I thought, 'If I lived there I could visit America all the time. Now to address some of the points above.

False - Toronto hit 40C this summer. You can wear shorts+t-shiirt from start of June till end of September. On average temps are mid 20's and weeks of 30's weather are normal. Basically Spain during the summer here in Toronto, think jet skis, beaches and babes.

You should get one. It's easy to be approved but not "easy" to get as there is lots of paper work but the online wizard keeps track of everything. Google 'IEC visa'

My buddy from Ireland has citizenship now - 5 years after leaving Ireland. Could work in the states if he wanted but loves Alberta too much now.

I'm starting PR application because I'm sick of Dublin scanger, junkies, kip holes and nanny state bollocks.

Any questions?

Thank you for the long message, it was an interesting read for sure.

Haha tell me about the junkies and scumbags. They are there to **** up all the nice things that you have. I had my property stolen and damaged in the city centre. I wish companies would move out of the city centers as it is a cesspit of scumbags. When you drive outside other areas outside of the city centre, you realise how nice Dublin can be sometimes.
    You sound pretty naive. Vancouver has decent weather, sure the winters are a bit rainy but the summers are good (aside from forest fires) and there's plenty to do outdoors in summer and winter - for winters I live 20 minutes from a ski slope and often head up after work. You say California has nice weather but did you miss the part about the wildfires that have caused PG&E to start rolling power cuts? Also California is probably one of the most expensive places to live, not just in terms and housing but in terms of fuel, groceries etc...

And Canadian citizens do get special privileges, they can apply for a TN visa which they can get at the border and only requires a job offer from a US employer.

Vancouver is a good option, salaries have increased significantly in the last couple of years and there's plenty of SV companies opening or expanding offices here.

I am getting more and more convinced about Canada. Just something I took a look at quickly, might not be 100% accurate.
    Rain:
    Dublin 750mm/150 days per year
    Vancouver 1200m/180 days per year

I think it's the non stop damp and rain that makes Ireland so miserable sometimes + add the wind chill and wet = best combo for misery.
    5 years time jme2010 on the Irish Times, as a returning emigrant!
    I thought when I left Ireland 10 years ago it was a kip, etc like you think now, but times change. I have relations in Canada who don't think much of the place as well.
    Everybody's experience is different I guess.
    As somebody who returned to Dublin, I don't see the skangers. But I guess sometimes we see what we want to see.

I would say it is near impossible NOT to see skangers in the city centre. City centre almost exclusively though.
    NSAman wrote: »
    As someone living in the States, it may be easier to make a living but some of the stuff here, really fries your brain. Yes the money is better, yes the weather can be better (Mind you at the moment its -20C outside and pretty crap). Far away fields are green.

A few things to remember here. You don’t have the same workers rights here as you have in Ireland. You WILL be working longer hours and the holidays are ridiculously short. If you can balance the pros with the cons (same as any new country) it will be well worth it.

Always have enough in the bank for that emergency flight home (It always IS needed).

The States is no walk in the park, it can be a very tough environment to work in, especially if you are by yourself. BUT.....(always a but) It can work out beneficially.

Thank you for the message.
    You sound like you already gave up.

It has been dominating my thoughts for a while now but I really don't want to focus my life on somethings that is not possible, it would just be a waste of time. This is why I have created this thread and it might not be as bad as I thought.
    I always laugh when people give out about our nanny state, is it better to live in a country where a 16 year old can buy a AK47 and run around a shopping centre shooting innocent people out shopping?
    Give me the nanny state any day!
    Also I agree, get used to much shorter holidays, longer working weeks, but yep you will probably earn more. The far away hills are always green.

Now having said that, I would recommend living abroad to anybody for a few years.

We have different priorities and that is fine. You are much more likely to get a heart attack or die in a vehicle accident than die in a mass shooting. Yes, USA has very high fatalities from guns compared to anywhere else in the world. I would rather have something to protect myself than get stabbed to death and I believe I should have that choice. It is completely fine if you don't agree with it. I am also sure that you don't get as many burglaries for that same reason.

Advertisement