Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US is closed and that is it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JasonJenova

Another thing that I am wondering about this...
    What would the company get out of transferring someone to US? Wouldn't they just say something along the lines of:
    You come to office in Dublin, sit down and code.
    You come to office in Dallas, sit down and code.

What is the advantage of transferring someone to US for the company, unless you're some kind of one of a kind rocket scientist where everyone comes to you for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not really sure about your intentions Op

Posts seem more like rants than anything resembling a request for information.

Go to the US or Canada or where ever and see what it''s like for a year or so

I lived in the US (Massachusetts) for a number of years, never noticed much difference between it's level of "nanny state" and Ireland's.

And seeing as California and Massachusetts are pretty much on the same level on the liberal/conservative compass I'd imagine it's not much different in CA

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

would have thought america is a lot more nanny state then here but then again its always been the land of milk, honey & free unicorns to the irish

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

5 years time jme2010 on the Irish Times, as a returning emigrant!
    I thought when I left Ireland 10 years ago it was a kip, etc like you think now, but times change. I have relations in Canada who don't think much of the place as well.
    Everybody's experience is different I guess.
    As somebody who returned to Dublin, I don't see the skangers. But I guess sometimes we see what we want to see.

Typical Irish begrudgery.

Cop on you fool with 'I guess sometimes we see what we want to see'. You're obviously walking around eyes closed or live in the back arse of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JasonJenova

Not really sure about your intentions Op

Posts seem more like rants than anything resembling a request for information.

Go to the US or Canada or where ever and see what it''s like for a year or so

I lived in the US (Massachusetts) for a number of years, never noticed much difference between it's level of "nanny state" and Ireland's.

And seeing as California and Massachusetts are pretty much on the same level on the liberal/conservative compass I'd imagine it's not much different in CA

Not my intention to sound like a rant. I would be moving to TX. Every place has stupid laws, just different scales of it.
    neris wrote: »
    would have thought america is a lot more nanny state then here but then again its always been the land of milk, honey & free unicorns to the irish

How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I am getting more and more convinced about Canada. Just something I took a look at quickly, might not be 100% accurate.
    Rain:
    Dublin 750mm/150 days per year
    Vancouver 1200m/180 days per year

I think it's the non stop damp and rain that makes Ireland so miserable sometimes + add the wind chill and wet = best combo for misery.

Vancouver doesn't get much wind and the temperatures are generally mild. The winter is pretty grey but it just makes you appreciate the summer more. And unlike Ireland, you are guaranteed to have a decent summer. First summer I was here it didn't rain for 4 months straight while temperatures were between 25-30 without stifling humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

I think people who complain about the cost of living in SF or Cal or NYC, which happens a lot on this forum, haven't thought the issue fully through.

Generally speaking if you have a high skilled job you should _want_ to live in places with a high cost of living. This is because salaries in those places are comensurate with the local prices. Yes everything is more expensive but you're also making proportionally more money so it actually doesn't matter.

But then if you're saving money you're able to save much more. Saving 20% of an SF salary gets you much more than saving 20% of a Dublin salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

dubrov wrote: »
    OP, if you think Dublin is expensive, get ready for Mountain View.

I can only assume you read this somewhere and took it as fact. Renting wise, it's probably in or around the same, maybe Dublin even a little bit more expensive.

Now also consider, if you're living in Mountain View and working for a FAANG company, you're likely at least doubling your Irish salary, maybe even tripling it with stocks and bonuses, etc.

Lets even say they're the same, €/$2500 a month from your €70k in Dublin leaves you with a lot less than from your $160k in Mountain View.

Even if you want to bring the price of buying a house into it, its still less of a multiple on your salary than it would be in Ireland, give or take. People balk at the "$1m house prices", but its no different from someone on €60k buying a €300k house in Ireland. In fact, as with the renting example above, you still have a lot more cash after the mortgage is paid.

And while groceries might be a bit more expensive (i don't know for sure they are), cars are 30% cheaper, petrol is half the price, electronics are cheaper, and so on. Even in Mountain View.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Another data point for Toronto here. I move here 4 years ago and work in tech. The tech industry here is currently booming, there are more jobs than there are people to fill them so wages have been growing rapidly and the perks of working for a tech company have been improving (catered lunches, regular outings, beer on Fridays etc). The work life balance for most is also not like the US, there are exceptions but most are flexi time, occasional work from home and no overtime expected except in very rare cases. Especially true for mid to late state start ups. Salaries are still lower than the US but the cost of living is also lower. Rent's have risen a lot over the last few years but I believe it's still cheaper to rent here than in Dublin. Health care is literally free, you don't even pay to see a GP.

About Toronto itself, I love the weather. Weather is one of the main reasons I moved, it's a constant damp chill year round in Ireland, here you get actual seasons. April and October are a bit miserable and similar to home but outside of that you get a real summer and a real winter. Toronto is in a bit of a bubble because of the geography around it, the very cold and most of the snow pass around it. It doesn't snow nearly as much or as often as the rest of the province and it rarely gets below -10. I like the cold here compared to Ireland, if it's -1 or -2 with a tonne of wind you can't really dress for it. Here at -10 you put on a parka and winter boots you are pretty comfortable outside. In Ireland you can't do that, a parka will block the wind alright but then you are way too hot because it's actually only -2 without the wind, there is no way to dress to make that comfortable.

If you are into outdoors there are so many national parks here, and they are something else altogether. Algonquin is probably my favourite place in the whole world, it's a national park about he size of Cork a couple of hours outside the city. The most common activity there would be canoe camping (Portaging), which is an amazing experience. Even in the winter you have plenty of places to go skiing, snow boarding, snow shoeing etc. Toronto is in a bubble from most of the snow which is great for day to day, but you only need to go about an hour outside the city before you start seeing several feet of snow so winter activities are pretty close by.

Some downsides to this city is there is a homeless problem because of a run of conservative governments cutting social services. It's not nearly as bad as most US cities I've visited but it is still a problem. Also the public transportation is about a decade behind where it should be given the cities growth. It's apparently one of the best in North America but that is a low bar considering most US cities have completely neglected all public transport infrastructure. It's a good bit worse than most European cities imo.

I love it here compared to Ireland, I'll likely stay here indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I think people who complain about the cost of living in SF or Cal or NYC, which happens a lot on this forum, haven't thought the issue fully through.

Generally speaking if you have a high skilled job you should _want_ to live in places with a high cost of living. This is because salaries in those places are comensurate with the local prices. Yes everything is more expensive but you're also making proportionally more money so it actually doesn't matter.

But then if you're saving money you're able to save much more. Saving 20% of an SF salary gets you much more than saving 20% of a Dublin salary.

I live in what is apparently the 4th most expensive city in California. It's just a number. I love my life here, bought a house and expect to be here for the foreseeable future (all going to plan).
    Yes the cost of living is high, but for the most part, salaries in skilled jobs reflect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Well the above was just my opinion, having spent time overseas in the US. But I'd always say, go try it and see how it goes.

Also, SF has a huge homeless problem and pan handler problem. Try the 101 and tell me the M50 is bad!

But as I said above, go try it and I hope it lives up to the hype! I dunno where the poster above saw begrudgery, I have been there done that and think everyone should do it.

]I dunno where the poster above saw begrudgery, I have been there done that and think everyone should do it.

I was saying I'm having a great time here enjoying myself and you said I'd be back in Ireland soon enough moaning in the Irish times about it, So that sounded like typical Irish begrudgery to me.

At least you've tried it and not discouraging others from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

jme2010 wrote: »
    I was saying I'm having a great time here enjoying myself and you said I'd be back in Ireland soon enough moaning in the Irish times about it, So that sounded like typical Irish begrudgery to me.

At least you've tried it and not discouraging others from it.

Not at all, although I do think plenty of the narcissists on the likes of Irish Times are people who were complaining about Ireland being a kip before they left, and then ended up coming back.

Don't knock it till you try it, but the grass is always greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

People in California who can are moving to places like Texas, Nevada etc as it much cheaper as places like San Francisco are so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,721 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There is a big place to the left of us called the UK. Funny how so many people miss it when immigrating.
    '' oh i have to go to Australia, or New Zealand, or Canada, and get paid in monopoly money''

FFS

There is a big place to the left of us called the UK. Funny how so many people miss it when immigrating.
    '' oh i have to go to Australia, or New Zealand, or Canada, and get paid in monopoly money''

FFS

It's for the culture change you west brit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I am a 23 years old and have been working in IT for the past year. I also have a bachelors degree in computer science. It's seems like the young people of this generation get screwed in absolutely everything, unaffordable houses, insane prices (try getting a car insured under 25 for a reasonable price etc).

What are the chances of me successfully moving to USA? Should I forget about it and move on with my life and try Australia or Canada maybe? I'd rather just stay in Ireland tbh than try either of these countries.

I work for an international IT corporation which seems to have many people working from other parts of Europe (France, Spain, Italy, Germany) in the European HQ if that helps. My specialization is systems admin/engineering. Should I change over to software development to improve my chances?

Also I do not know how often this happens that an employee gets transferred to another country. Should I only even attempt when I get like 10-20 years of experience?
    Thinking I might get laughed out of the office for even asking.

Just wondering if I should keep dreaming or just move on. Basically, do I have a better chance of winning euromillions rather than get transferred by my own company on l1 or h1 visa?

America is much more cut throat than here, much more brutal to make it.

Compared to America here is a ****ing breeze.

You'll get a savage hop over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

you dodged a bullet, commifornia is a s***hole

if the high taxes and real estate costs dont kill you the zombie homeless population will

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Danzy wrote: »

I read a lot of this before getting here. I suppose it differs based on who you work for, but this couldn't be anything further than the truth in my experience.

I have a far better work - life balance here than I did in Ireland (same company).

if the high taxes and real estate costs dont kill you the zombie homeless population will

High taxes compared to some other states? Sure.

High taxes compared to Ireland? Not even anywhere close.

Read the rest of the thread re real estate "costs".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

I'm over here six months now OP on a L1 Visa.

Company transferred me over. I got the Visa in Dublin but company had all documents prepared for me so it was basically just show up, answer three or four questions and they sent the passport back in the post with the visa attached along with the papers.

You have to realize that you have zero working rights here, less holidays, longer hours( 7 to 4) but the money is better. You wouldn't want to be coming over on the same wages you get back in Ireland to be honest and you can't apply for jobs with other companies in the US when here.

Its like anywhere its exciting for the first few months and then your just used to the place to be honest.

Depending where you are the winters are tough with snow, been -20 at times.

It's not all New York and Vegas.

The reason I went is that I want to get money together for mortgage, should have 100K after three years going back, no way I could have doing that in Ireland.

I'm on the east coast so only a 7 hour flight home so that's good in a way that i can get home when i want unlike Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Danzy wrote: »

I moved from an IT job in Ireland to one in the US.

I noticed feck all difference in work attitudes between the multi national I worked for in Ireland and the start-up I worked for in the US.

I ended up working in lots of IT jobs in the US and there was not a huge difference between work environment, ethics, productivity etc between the two.

Obviously you get more holidays in Ireland and the money was way better in the US but that was about it.

The US was not cut throat nor brutal.

One of the most stupid posts I've seen here in a while.

I moved from an IT job in Ireland to one in the US.

I noticed feck all difference in work attitudes between the multi national I worked for in Ireland and the start-up I worked for in the US.

I ended up working in lots of IT jobs in the US and there was not a huge difference between work environment, ethics, productivity etc between the two.

Obviously you get more holidays in Ireland and the money was way better in the US but that was about it.

The US was not cut throat nor brutal.

It was actually grand where I am as well if your with a decent company but if your not then it can be gruesome

One of the most stupid posts I've seen here in a while.

really? do you live in commifornia? please elaborate

really? do you live in commifornia? please elaborate

Yes I do.

The taxes are fair.

Property prices are expensive, but wages for the most part reflect that.

Homelessness is an issue, no doubt about that but there are no easy solutions to it. Proper mental health care would go along way.

Yes I do. sorry to hear that, you should get out why you can

The taxes are fair. no, they're not, why do you think Toyota left for Texas

Property prices are expensive, but wages for the most part reflect that. no, they dont

Homelessness is an issue, no doubt about that but there are no easy solutions to it. Proper mental health care would go along way.
    Tell that to the business owners that have to cleanup human feces before they can open their business, or a similar guy that got bit buy a homeless person, twice

yeah, commifornia is a s***hole, guess you like living there

:pac:

:pac:

I'm very happy here and have no plans to leave.

If you find it that oppressive perhaps you should leave.

I'm very happy here and have no plans to leave.

If you find it that oppressive perhaps you should leave.

I don't live there anymore and you couldn't pay me enough to return.

Just wanted to let the OP know there is more to Commifornia than what you see on TV

Just wanted to let the OP know there is more to Commifornia than what you see on TV

Same as anywhere them really. Was in California and liked the place myself.

Were you living in a ****e area when you were there or something?

• Advertisement

In terms of public services, California is the closest you'll get to what Europeans would consider entry level services.It's getting better all the time.

Advertisement