Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning the Poppy - A thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I am actually going to ..so you be will sorry. :D

This country at some point had almost everything taken away by colonialism. We weren't enslaved but we WERE colonized. We lost our language. Our culture. We were impoverished by that same colonialism to the point of disaster. Then the leave over of the same colonialism left us the troubles. The sectarianism was that was caused by colonialism. ( and it WAS caused by colonialism exists today). And finally when we have peace. The same Tory cranks are now breaking it all up again!

There is a WHOLE lot of legitimate grievances we have with the uk right now RIGHT NOW!.

None of them have anything to do with a poppy and they are really not served by arguing about a poppy. Whether or not people wear a poppy isn't going to make a difference.

In fact its just going to undermine any legitimate grievances recent or historical that Ireland has with the UK.

Not wearing the poppy won't change bloody Sunday. But the argument about it undermines our ability to stand up for our rights and demand our injustices be taken as seriously as they should be.

We are just expected to hand out passports to people who disrespect them.

Tories are treading on us right now. They are being dicks.

We should stand up for ourselves more. Right now. Our politicians should stand up for us more right now. Maybe we don't have the confidence.

As for the million of lovely lovely british people wearing a poppy ..bless them. They are doing it for the right reasons.
    I think we have bigger things to beat the british govt with than a poppy. And its the WRONG fight to pick. Its not noble. Its not honorable to attack the symbol worn by kind people with good intent.

Maybe we do it because we don't have the GUTS to fight the right fight, right now.

Rant over.

..or maybe it is something people have a legitimate grievance/annoyance about?

The poppy nonsense is on the rise and it is important that it is objected to or we will all be wearing one because nobody wants to annoy the British or upset them.
    There is overt and covert pressure to wear this thing, do you think the German football team choose to wear it or felt pressured to wear one? I think it was pressure to wear one, because a lot of people fear the onslaught of bile (ala McClean) if they say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

She's a dope who only did it for attention but the reaction and hate towards her is over the top, and anyone who tried to bring her family into the situation is disgusting and needs help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sawduck wrote:
    She's a dope who only did it for attention but the reaction and hate towards her is over the top, and anyone who tried to bring her family into the situation is disgusting and needs help

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

..or maybe it is something people have a legitimate grievance/annoyance about?

The poppy nonsense is on the rise and it is important that it is objected to or we will all be wearing one because nobody wants to annoy the British or upset them.
    There is overt and covert pressure to wear this thing, do you think the German football team choose to wear it or felt pressured to wear one? I think it was pressure to wear one, because a lot of people fear the onslaught of bile (ala McClean) if they say no.

Its a stupid flower.

I am more concerned people inc our own govt don't want to annoy the British about other things.

Because quite frankly its time for us to kick some Tory arse on some issues. We have been far too generous and understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She's taking the heat off poor old James McClean for once so I suppose very cloud has a silver lining.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    The Royal British legion would disagree with you though.

As if the brits would take credit for something someone else thought up??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

As if the brits would take credit for something someone else thought up??!!

Guerin came up with it me at a century ago, short time after That as a symbol it became about supporting and remembering British soldiers.

To say it has anything to do with freedom etc is a complete misrepresentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Saw an article on line today, a publican in the UK was denying service to anyone not wearing a poppy. He got a lot of support but equally he got abuse from people accusing him of being a 'poppy nazi' there's some irony in that label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

So much misguided political anger!!

Seriously boys and girls, look after your family and friends, and leave dead people to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I dunno. I mean obviously there are people who show an unhinged side regarding their reverance to the poppy - and certainly the wearing of it should be a choice, but you can appreciate how it honours those who sacrificed their lives, which deserves respect imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I dunno. I mean obviously there are people who show an unhinged side regarding their reverance to the poppy - and certainly the wearing of it should be a choice, but you can appreciate how it honours those who sacrificed their lives, which deserves respect imo.
    At least the ceremonies today were sombre and dignified unlike the Provo ones where it seems that the standard uniform is denim jeans, Celtic jersey and a packet of Johnny Blue in the arse pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Edgware wrote: »
    At least the ceremonies today were sombre and dignified unlike the Provo ones where it seems that the standard uniform is denim jeans, Celtic jersey and a packet of Johnny Blue in the arse pocket

Do people here attend them?

Most will hardly have even known it was poppy day.

Just doesn't register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Edgware wrote: »
    At least the ceremonies today were sombre and dignified ........

They are outlandish and just trying to do the American's.......dignified was gone a good few years ago now

The rest of your comment was just rubbish so I removed

Danzy wrote: »
    Do people here attend them?

Most will hardly have even known it was poppy day.

Just doesn't register.

I guess poster was referring to the TV ones.....could be wrong of course!!!

Current theme for most things around this is watch the US and try to out do!!

Wear it or don't wear it. Fine.
    Just don't be a dickhead to people who choose to wear it or not as the case may be.

Video is attention seeking, not "shocking" as the DM has it. The burning of a small plastic flower is hardly beheading footage.

Aah come on. Now you’re just being sensible. We’re supposed to get all outraged by people wearing or not wearing a poppy.

It’s quite simple really.

If you want to wear one, wear one
    If you don’t, then don’t.
    If you get outraged by people wearing a poppy, you’re a prick
    If you get outraged by people not wearing a poppy, you’re a prick.

But this is the age of social media where getting outraged is the most important thing.

Aegir wrote: »
    Aah come on. Now you’re just being sensible. We’re supposed to get all outraged by people wearing or not wearing a poppy.

It’s quite simple really.

If you want to wear one, wear one
    If you don’t, then don’t.
    If you get outraged by people wearing a poppy, you’re a prick
    If you get outraged by people not wearing a poppy, you’re a prick.

But this is the age of social media where getting outraged is the most important thing.

You must be very 'outraged' to be using foul language there Aegir...calm down man, it's just a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Documtary on C4 right now about how the Africans who died for the empire were treated. Mostly dumped in unmarked mass graves.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This annual Poppy-fest from Republicans is really boring. "Move on", as you like to say yourself.

hmmm wrote: »
    This annual Poppy-fest from Republicans is really boring. "Move on", as you like to say yourself.

As posted already a few other countries have an issue with the poppy love in....easier for uk just to demonise people and say they are republicans.....

I am no republican and all I see the poppy celebrating is multiple atrocities and genocide by the British empire .....including the genocide in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There are three things certain in life.

Death
    Taxes
    The annual boards.ie poppy thread where a certain clique of Irish people bang on about the poppy, usually bringing references to Kenya or Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Poppyganda

markodaly wrote: »
    There are three things certain in life.

Death
    Taxes
    The annual boards.ie poppy thread where a certain clique of Irish people bang on about the poppy, usually bringing references to Kenya or Iraq.

And a clique trying to censor it, while not actually saying anything relevant.

Do Kenyans and Iraqi's not count, would you prefer if we forgot about them?

And a clique trying to censor it, while not actually saying anything relevant.

Do Kenyans and Iraqi's not count, would you prefer if we forgot about them?

Who is trying to censor you?

Francie, you are the most prolific poster on boards.ie in relation to any topic about SF/PIRA or most things on about 'da Brits'
    Nobody is censoring you, not I, the mods, or MI5.

What some people may do is voice their opinion, which may be counter to your own. THAT is not censoring.

Know the difference.

Who is trying to censor you?

Francie, you are the most prolific poster on boards.ie in relation to any topic about SF/PIRA or most things on about 'da Brits'
    Nobody is censoring you, not I, the mods, or MI5.

What some people may do is voice their opinion, which may be counter to your own. THAT is not censoring.

Know the difference.

Oh it is, you think it is subtle, but it is an attempt to get people to be quiet...Aegir tried it earlier.

Don't click into threads like this, they are plainly marked after all. I do click into them. And I never used that abbreviation 'da Brits' ever...despite your, by now, familiar stereotyping. Like Aegir you need to calm down and allow debate. ;)

Oh it is, you think it is subtle, but it is an attempt to get people to be quiet...Aegir tried it earlier.

Don't click into threads like this, they are plainly marked after all. I do click into them. And I never used that abbreviation 'da Brits' ever...despite your, by now, familiar stereotyping. Like Aegir you need to calm down and allow debate. ;)

Oh, this is a debate is it?

Tell me, has anything changed the past 4 or so years each time this topic is brought up? I doubt it.
    You just like to argue. Everyone needs a hobby I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I worked in the Civil service in the UK and it was rammed down our throats to wear them.

I refused as did a number of other people, Aisan and irish My managerr was all hot and bothered by the refusal and god love the ignorant dickhead but he could not understand that ireland was not park of the UK and needed a little geography and history lesson.

Easter lillys are a big no no and actually seen as some kind of terrorist emblem. Its the UK all over Litterly tries to wipe out any history that puts the in a bad light.

My company my husband worked for bought them directly from the British legion and they were expected to wear them daily from 1st november

I worked in the Civil service in the UK and it was rammed down our throats to wear them.

I refused as did a number of other people, Aisan and irish My managerr was all hot and bothered by the refusal and god love the ignorant dickhead but he could not understand that ireland was not park of the UK and needed a little geography and history lesson.

Easter lillys are a big no no and actually seen as some kind of terrorist emblem. Its the UK all over Litterly tries to wipe out any history that puts the in a bad light.

My company my husband worked for bought them directly from the British legion and they were expected to wear them daily from 1st november

I would not agree with that either in fairness. Forcing people to wear it in work, in a professional environment is a big no from me. Just as telling people they are NOT allowed to wear it.

It should be a personal choice at the end of the day, I do not understand why some get so hot and bothered about why people do, or do not wear one.
    It is a free country after all, isn't that what Irish Independence and Republicanism is all about?

And for the record, I have never worn one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

PRIDE should do something similar on people here on the TV and in the workplace. Good money spinner.

Oh, this is a debate is it?

Tell me, has anything changed the past 4 or so years each time this topic is brought up? I doubt it.
    You just like to argue. Everyone needs a hobby I guess.

You entered the thread - arguing and getting hot and bothered. Your disconnect from your own behaviour is a giggle tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I would not agree with that either in fairness. Forcing people to wear it in work, in a professional environment is a big no from me. Just as telling people they are NOT allowed to wear it.

It should be a personal choice at the end of the day, I do not understand why some get so hot and bothered about why people do, or do not wear one.
    It is a free country after all, isn't that what Irish Independence and Republicanism is all about?

And for the record, I have never worn one.

Tbh manager was a complete dickhead and was always looking for a pat on the head as to how much his dept raised for the legion.

We were also in a public facing role in a white British tory area

It was very much rammed down throats. They were given out in school to the kids too and you were sent home a bill for the poppy.

Definately not a choice in South East England

Advertisement