Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"OK Boomer"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No. Parents and children tend to skip a generation which is usually defined by being roughly 20 yrs. Teen pregnancy is a thing but generally most people have kids in their 20s-30s hence there is a generation between them and their kids. Gen X's parents are the silent generation (who are situated between greatest generation and boomers. Think Madmen with Roger and Don from Greatest or GI gen while Pete from the silent gen, Sally Draper a boomer, and Pete and Trudy's baby Tammy possibly just at the start of Gen X).

Interesting thing about the Silent generation is that they have never had a president. GI generation held the reins starting with JFK (and a few older presidents in between) and then passing over the silent gen when Bush lost to Boomer Clinton. With Bernie and Biden, the silent gen are currently having their final chance at the White House.
    Here's a set of definitions from Boomers to Gen Z and the new kids on on the block, the Alphas!

https://mccrindle.com.au/insights/blog/generation-next-meet-gen-z-alphas/

Every single one of your references is to the US - this is why so many people find this boomer sh*te to be complete nonsense as it means nothing in an Irish context and is just another step on the path for an extremely annoying element of my generation (millenials) who think that they are American, speak with an American accent, talk about candy & soda while having grown up in Tullamore or some other town around Ireland.

It's almost the manifestation of what people are looking to rebel against with the phrase - as it is being used in reaction to some being called snowflake or being called lazy - yet it's a petty and overly sensitive response to something using a lazy and illogical American reference.

The irony is off the scales.

It's like someone telling you that you're lazy and you deciding that staying in bed will show them.
    It does relate to us, as boomer adults began to appear from 1964 to about 1980 and Irish people of that vintage would share some traits of their so-called generation. I don't place much stock in it but I do increasingly wonder if Millennials aren't the most messed-up of adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

is_that_so wrote: »
    It does relate to us, as boomer adults began to appear from 1964 to about 1980 and Irish people of that vintage would share some traits of their so-called generation. I don't place much stock in it but I do increasingly wonder if Millennials aren't the most messed-up of adults.

It in no way related to Ireland

It in no way related to Ireland
    Writing a sentence doesn't make it true! Why is not? What aspects of boomer characteristics make it untrue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Writing a sentence doesn't make it true! What is not? What aspects of boomer characteristics make it untrue?

There's the actual baby boomers and then there is the boomer meme. The latter is the topic of this thread.

• Advertisement

Joey Adams wrote: »
    You don't need to literally be a baby boomer. In this context a 'boomer' is an older person completely cut off from reality, but someone who still feels they have the right to lecture younger people.
    Otherwise known as the generation gap. Time was people just ignored such lectures. I know I happily did as a teen! Never thought to give them labels though!

tuxy wrote: »
    There's the actual baby boomers and then there is the boomer meme. The latter is the topic of this thread.
    I think both are part of the discussion. I've chosen to ignore the dopey meme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Otherwise known as the generation gap. Time was people just ignored such lectures. I know I happily did as a teen! Never thought to give them labels though!

Yep that's true, a common post on this thread has been millennials having a go at zoomers (gen z). It's happens without fail every generation.
    You have to remember that the vast majority of people here are millennials.

Joey Adams wrote: »
    You don't need to literally be a baby boomer. In this context a 'boomer' is an older person completely cut off from reality, but someone who still feels they have the right to lecture younger people.

No in this context it is being used to describe a generation of Americans who experienced not seen before growth & opportunities in their younger years.

For people of the same age in Ireland- their formative years were much worse than ours as Ireland was an economically depressed sh*tehole.

Writing a sentence doesn't make it true! Why is not? What aspects of boomer characteristics make it untrue?

Ireland didn’t have a baby boom.

Ireland in the 60s-90s was closer to the USSR than the US in terms of standard of living.

The people who the phrase is trying to insult are American people of a certain age whose lives will have borne little or no resemblance to those of their Irish counterparts.

All generations have gaps between them- that’s natural but when you see guys on his thread spouting about foreign wars or Walmart and trying to tie it back to Ireland- it’s just phenomenally cringey and lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

It's yet another American Internet retardism in a long line of American Internet retardisms.

Less and less do we share common ground with that imploding country of imbeciles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Ireland didn’t have a baby boom.

Ireland in the 60s-90s was closer to the USSR than the US in terms of standard of living.

The people who the phrase is trying to insult are American people of a certain age whose lives will have borne little or no resemblance to those of their Irish counterparts.

All generations have gaps between them- that’s natural but when you see guys on his thread spouting about foreign wars or Walmart and trying to tie it back to Ireland- it’s just phenomenally cringey and lazy
    When it's used ad nauseum here, it reminds me of a kid discovering a rude word or a word they don't know the meaning of but it seems clever and grown up to them, which they keep using over and over.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As others have mentioned, Ireland didn't go to WWII. No returning troops making a baby boom. and no massive growth in prosperity and public institutions as in USA/Canada/etc in the 50/60s (which coincided with the boomers childhood). Therefore, in Ireland no boomers. Likewise, no latchkey kids... aka jaded and ignored gen x, and no boomer echo aka millennials. As someone who only moved here from Canada I can tell you the biggest generation divide I see here is between those raised before the Celtic tiger and those born durning/after. When the crash happened in 2008 it seemed to caused the older people (those now about 40 and up) to go "oh well, that sucks, back to reality" while those younger to think the world is going to end.

I would agree with nearly all of your post - especially the pre- and post Celtic Tiger generation thing ....but there WERE quite a few latchkey kids growing up in Ireland of the 1980s and 1990s. A good few friends of mine in the 1980s had mothers who went back to education and part or even full-time work when their youngest kids were in their early teens. It wasn’t anywhere near as widespread as the USA or Canada but it did exist and was growing....

My own mum died suddenly when I was 15 and as my older sisters had just moved abroad by that stage and my Dad worked 5 days a week up in Belfast - I lived on my own in the family home, 5 days a week, from the age of 16 until I moved out myself at 24.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    When it's used ad nauseum here, it reminds me of a kid discovering a rude word or a word they don't know the meaning of but it seems clever and grown up to them, which they keep using over and over.

It actually is quite funny in an American context as it’s quite a direct put down without having to lower yourself to swearing!

In an Irish context it just makes you sound like a wannabe yank who can’t come up with an original joke yourself so you just jump on some bandwagon that you don’t really understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

The vast majority of actual Boomers don’t even know that Ok Boomer is a term.

And sure if they do or don't... What's supposed to "happen" anyway?

beejee wrote: »
    Well apparently they're devastated en masse about it.

Well apparently they're devastated en masse about it.

Oh no, the real life impact of such a thing!

I swear that the belief the Internet is actual real life is growing.

I could call you fifty names under the sun right now, some complete stranger to another complete stranger, nothing to go off except a few words that could be as easily written by a 80 year old paraplegic Nigerian woman as a 12 year old lobotomised alaskan child... And what would it even mean to you? Or Me?

It's all gas :)

beejee wrote: »

When they finally realise it’s an insult- they are going to launch another ‘for profit’ war to restore their pride.

All the oul lads down your local and most of the GAA coaches you’ve had are going to invade the Isle of Man for some reason as it helps the military industrial complex/something like that.

Walmart is involved somehow, as a previous poster stated, I just haven’t figured out how yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I used to be with it then they changed what it is now I am old

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

You're a millennial! (1982 to 1996).

No he's a human being, and not some stupid american identity politics category.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

OK, Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So the same thing as say "ok bolloxs" or similar? The official designation gives 'Boomer' as a derogatory term. So if we really wish to lower discussion to that level - let's clear that playing field first ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Here's Boomer was a great tv show in the 80's.I know that's not what is being discussed here, but can't help thinking of it every time someone uses that word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The only boomer I remember is the Concorde flying over Ireland in the 80's and 90's and you'd hear the sonic boom...boom...pddddboooom...chuckaboom... whoom ,pdddddbooooommm...then it repeated and faded out as it headed out over the Atlantic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

biko wrote: »
    Ok Coomers

Judging by how long it took the Boomer meme to reach the normalf*gs I'd say you're about 4 years too early with this one.

coomer.png

Coomer? Normalfag? What the **** is this ****?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Coomer? Normalfag? What the **** is this ****?!

Just memes and terms from (mostly) 4chan,

Its interesting though how these memes from the nether regions of the internet eventually filter out to the mainstream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think this might be the dumbest thread I've ever read on baords.ie and that's quite a feat.

Advertisement