Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you holiday in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yes
    Take our main summer holiday in Wexford and have done so since 2008. Children were very young so made sense. Get away on a foreign city break occasionally (maybe every 2 years) but will probably go abroad with children in next 1-2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The odd couple of days every year or two. Was in Belfast recently and it was great.

Belfast hasn't been sucked into the tourism bubble yet. Used to spend a good chunk of time up there for work and you couldn't spend money in comparison to Dublin. Victoria Square was the only part of the city that was comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Occasional weekend break or night away.

I try to avoid the inauthentic tourist traps, the Killarney pubs blasting Waxies Dargle, anything with overpriced admission fees and woolly jumper giftshops. The downside is a lot of the best cheap or free stuff you need a bit of research and your own wheels to get to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

We got our taxi man to drop us into the Northern Quarter. Looking for any sort of restaurant/gastro pub that you can call in off the street without booking in advance. Literally the only establishment we came across was a brewery version of Nando's.

Compare that to some of the bigger towns in Ireland, and you can be guaranteed of a host of good food joints.

If you want kebab shops though, northern England in particular seems to be your Mecca.

I don't know how the hell anyone can eat kebabs. I've only ever tried one and I couldn't swallow the mouthful I tried, that bit and the rest of the kebab went in a bin. Plus there's the hygiene factor, seems very low in some of the kebab shops. There's been a few cases in the British papers where health inspectors have found the kebab meat being transported in the boots of cars with no covering over them. Filthy dirty food, I'd rather gnaw off my own foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

gifted wrote: »
    Dingle hotel...this Friday and Saturday night...2 adults and 2 kids... €416 for b & b.....that's for November... thats not including lunch or dinner
    Or snacks, also can't guarantee good weather at any time if the year.... can you imagine the price in the summer time?? ....so No.

I'm not going there...that was just a quick search on the hotel website.

Usually if you book last minute it's going to be expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The unpredictable weather and rip-off prices are a deterrent for many.

It’s what puts me off. You are paying crazy money for an average to good hotel, no guarantee of weather... so you might as well fûck off to a part of the world that might cost in and around the same when flights are considered but have good weather, good public transport, huge variety of sights, experiences and activities to enjoy.

Something too about ‘getting away’

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Usually go camping in kerry and west cork a good few times in the year. I don't think it's a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

marvin80 wrote: »
    Usually if you book last minute it's going to be expensive.

Last weekend in Feb 20 is the same price

And a weekend in June 20...is €660 ...lol lol...yes...two nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Last weekend in Feb 20 is the same price

And a weekend in June 20...is €660 ...lol lol...yes...two nights...

That June price is outrageous!

marvin80 wrote: »
    That June price is outrageous!

It's actually more when you add in two children...lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yes every year

We need to take a step back and realise what we have here on our doorstep

The world can wait until the kids are grown

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I do. Lovely country, great hotels, top class food, and plenty of pubs. I think this rip-off Ireland thing is exaggerated as well - Spain, France,
    Portugal can be almost as expensive.

So true, I was in Spain and the cost of eating out there was the same as here. If u shop around on different websites you can get very good deals on hotels.

My family have a mobile near the seaside in Kerry and when the sun shines, one of the nicest places you could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

It's a holiday only if we're in the airport going somewhere.
    Europe's class, fruits and food actually have taste, there are so many places to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I don't know how people are getting ripped off so much going on holidays in Ireland. Stayed in a 4 star hotel not so long ago here 100 quid for the night. Didn't bother pre booking it. A meal in a restaurant usually costs me no more than 20 quid or 10-15 for pub grub. There are loads of free things to go and see in most counties just follow the brown signs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I think abroad the emphasis is on providing good food, accommodation and services etc for a fair price with a bit of value while hoping people will come back for repeat business.

In Ireland its all about laying on the poor to mediocre offerings, tapping someone for the absolute most amount of money possible that one time and then simply not giving 2 fu(ks if they leave pissed off because the next busloads of fools is only around the corner courtesy of Failte Ireland,

This is not the case at all. Things cost what they cost in Ireland. It's the same for everyone, locals and tourists. High prices are common due to taxes, relatively high wages and cost of doing business. But it's not as if there's obscene price gouging of tourists going on (outside of templebar anyway).

Service in Ireland is very good generally. It's excellent in bars compared to anywhere I've been in the world, outside of the states. Generally good in restaurants also. You may find very good value abroad relative to here, but service can be very poor. Certainly on the continent. Contrary to what your saying, tourists here aren't treated badly either. Certainly in the hotspots such as Killarney or Dingle they're treated with warm welcomes, as the places know they depend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think it's all about perspective too.
    Some paddy who's used to 300 days of wind and drizzle a year is probably not overly interested spending money on a stay in Ireland where they get what they have all the other days of the year.
    A cheap sun holiday sounds way more appealing or going to cities that is vastly different to Dublin culturally.

I know people are crazy about the romantic snowy skiing towns in the Alps but I'm from there and I'm so not bothered because I see them as expensive rip off tourist traps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We were going to try holiday in Ireland this week but to be completely honest it was way too expensive.
    It was working out at 1500 for a hotel for 7 nights for 5 of us. Then add in your over priced food and drink and you're looking at spending a fortune.
    I'm here in Tenerife at the minute which I got for 1100 euros flights and accommodation for 5.
    Just had a full Irish breakfast for 1.95
    Went out last night and had a meal for 5 with about 5 pints for myself and my wife each for 44.00 euros. Kids drinks were free all night as is the case in a lot of pubs here if the adults are buying alcoholic drinks. A pint can be got here for a euro. A decent lunch will set you back a fiver.
    Why would you even bother trying to holiday in Ireland with prices like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Define “holiday”.

We would do maybe a week and if we can 3-4 weekends in Ireland but always a holiday in France for 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

No way, Portugal and Spain are ridiculously cheap if you stay away from tourist traps. 3 course meals of a decent standard for less than a tenner I've had in Spain, and 60c glasses of the house wine in Portugal.

Agree 100%
    Keep away from the tourist area's and Portugal is ridiculously cheap
    I think a lot of people judge these "Sunspots" on resort prices
    My memory is a bit hazy here but a few years ago there we wnt to a small town away from the resorts
    We had a great meal for 4 and when we got the bill we were sure the owner has made an error...it was something like €13-€18. We checked it out and it was correct
    Later we went into a Museum and the such admission for the 4 of us €3....thats €1.50 each adult U-16 Free
    We wondered how they made it pay
    Compare admission and Food prices with Ireland PLUS the climate
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

blueshade wrote: »
    I'll happily switch your home in Italy with my home in Ireland. I absolutely love Italy, well the parts I've seen.

I doubt that you might like the place where I live, it is everything but a touristic area, but I live at 2 hours drive from France, from Switzerland and from the sea :)

Of your country I love the people, the landscapes, the history, and sometimes the food as well.
    I might not like the weather, but it is part of the package, and Ireland wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't raining that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There are loads of free things to go and see in most counties just follow the brown signs

The brown signs more often than not, aren't there or turned the wrong way by local half wits.

You would follow them for a bit until a crucial one is missing or pointing the opposite way, have to rely on Google Maps. Have come across walking trails where the "You Are Here" isnt even in the right place on the display map!

The tourist info boards in some towns still advertise attractions, pubs and restaurants that have closed down with donkey's years. I noticed recently there's still county council signage to a nature park that closed its gates 6 or 7 years ago.

It's improved from what it was but there's still sloppy half arsed tourist signage out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I did a 2 week 'staycation' in Dublin two years ago and it was brilliant. My brother came from abroad.

We went and did plenty of touristy stuff on our doorstep that we never do (Guinness Storehouse etc.) and did some stuff we haven't since we were kids, like go to Glendalough. Had a great trip to Glasnevin Cemetery. The weather was brilliant too.

Kerry, for me, is one of the most beautiful places in the world so would like to spend some time there. Tried to organise a few days down there over the summer to climb Carrantuohill and mess about, but we were all injured so changed plans.

I don't think that Ireland is necessarily a rip off. Maybe if you're a complete knob it is. I think that's just one of those tropes that people always trot out and I find it quite grating to be honest. A bit like 'the Irish are all begrudgers' - bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I did a 2 week 'staycation' in Dublin two years ago and it was brilliant. My brother came from abroad.

We went and did plenty of touristy stuff on our doorstep that we never do (Guinness Storehouse etc.) and did some stuff we haven't since we were kids, like go to Glendalough. Had a great trip to Glasnevin Cemetery. The weather was brilliant too.

Kerry, for me, is one of the most beautiful places in the world so would like to spend some time there. Tried to organise a few days down there over the summer to climb Carrantuohill and mess about, but we were all injured so changed plans.

I don't think that Ireland is necessarily a rip off. Maybe if you're a complete knob it is. I think that's just one of those tropes that people always trot out and I find it quite grating to be honest. A bit like 'the Irish are all begrudgers' - bollocks.
    When you used the make up word " staycation" the first thought that came to mind was Gob****e.

Just try and book a hotel in Killarney some weekend and you will see the rip off going on in "rural Ireland". Not that Dublin is any better

Edgware wrote: »
    When you used the make up word " staycation" the first thought that came to mind was Gob****e.

Just try and book a hotel in Killarney some weekend and you will see the rip off going on in "rural Ireland". Not that Dublin is any better

Charming.

Killarney is one of the most popular destinations in the country, for Irish and foreigners. Stands to reason it might be a little more dear doesn't it? Gob****e.

Even for that, a quick search of B&B's in Killarney on Booking.com for next weekend shows a median price of about 150e for two nights (Friday, Sat) with breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I would holiday here more if the weather was better. When ya book holiday abroad your pretty sure of the weather- not here tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Soup and a roll in the Crowne Plaza, Northwood. €6.20. Nuffsaid

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Charming.

Killarney is one of the most popular destinations in the country, for Irish and foreigners. Stands to reason it might be a little more dear doesn't it? Gob****e.

Even for that, a quick search of B&B's in Killarney on Booking.com for next weekend shows a median price of about 150e for two nights (Friday, Sat) with breakfast.

Tell you what, you find me a B&B in Killarney for next weekend for 2 adults and 2 kids ( I've 3 kids but I'll make it easy for you by asking for 2 kids) and come back with a price? Also factor in lunchs and dinners and snacks and weather and can't be in pubs after a certain time because of the kids.......

Tell you what, you find me a B&B in Killarney for next weekend for 2 adults and 2 kids ( I've 3 kids but I'll make it easy for you by asking for 2 kids) and come back with a price? Also factor in lunchs and dinners and snacks and weather and can't be in pubs after a certain time because of the kids.......

How about no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Do you holiday in Ireland? If not, why not? I mean the benefits are many: environmentally, you get to explore and know your own country, boost the local economy and keep cash here.

You lost me at environmentally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If you do leave the places like Killarney Dublin Galway there is value to be got especially if you do Sun to Thursday breaks. Hotels everywhere are busy weekends with weddings usually and there is a premium. It's just that in Ireland the money doesn't seem to last. Pints of lager 5.50 plus and 7 euro for a glass of wine. I accept that you put that against the cost of flights but at least you will be more or less guaranteed sunshine abroad

Advertisement