Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you holiday in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-11-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Do you holiday in Ireland? If not, why not? I mean the benefits are many: environmentally, you get to explore and know your own country, boost the local economy and keep cash here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭gifted

Dingle hotel...this Friday and Saturday night...2 adults and 2 kids... €416 for b & b.....that's for November... thats not including lunch or dinner
    Or snacks, also can't guarantee good weather at any time if the year.... can you imagine the price in the summer time?? ....so No.

I'm not going there...that was just a quick search on the hotel website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

The unpredictable weather and rip-off prices are a deterrent for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I summer in the Hamptons and winter in the Swiss Alps, dawwwling. Ireland isn't up to my standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Not a chance. If I'm gonna spend ridiculous money in a holiday then I'd rather have sunshine. Ireland is much too expensive and we are being ripped off at every given opportunity. Irish tourism can suck my balls

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't know if the rip-off culture is as bad as its made out. One thing I have noticed about Ireland, is that we far excel the UK in particular when it comes to affordable restaurants that you don't need to pre-book. I mean I was in Manchester only last week, and genuinely found the food options were better in Wexford town or Killarney.

Okay, the hotels can be a bit expensive, but in general for a nice break away, Ireland has a wealth of good options. Under-rated if you ask me.

• Advertisement

Quite often during the summer months. The Med can keep their heat, hiking in Connemara does it for me. Waterproofs and all. So much natural beauty on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I have done exclusively for the last 3 years. Not great from an environmental point of view as there's flight or ferry trip involved in getting us back over. There'll be less trips home next year as I'm definitely getting away for some sun but we will have a good break over the wesht at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes but only for a night or two, on bank hol weekend me and partner went to Sligeach and did a couple of hikes and had the most beautiful weather. It can be done pretty cheaply if you stay away from fancy hotels. I don't bother planning anything in Ireland far ahead as I wouldn't bother going away if it was a washout, which is often.

I mean I was in Manchester only last week, and genuinely found the food options were better in Wexford town or Killarney.

Do you not get out much, if this is a revelation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Wouldn't be bothered except we like to go somewhere with the dog every so often rather than farming her out to people to mind. If it wasn't for that consideration, I would never holiday here again. Everywhere is a complete rip off, weather is shíte etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I do. Lovely country, great hotels, top class food, and plenty of pubs. I think this rip-off Ireland thing is exaggerated as well - Spain, France,
    Portugal can be almost as expensive.

I do. Lovely country, great hotels, top class food, and plenty of pubs. I think this rip-off Ireland thing is exaggerated as well - Spain, France,
    Portugal can be almost as expensive.

No way, Portugal and Spain are ridiculously cheap if you stay away from tourist traps. 3 course meals of a decent standard for less than a tenner I've had in Spain, and 60c glasses of the house wine in Portugal.

I don't 'holiday' in ireland, so much as I partake in "city breaks" or "weekend breaks" in Ireland.

I live in grubby, dirty drogheda. So i enjoy wandering around leitrim and donegal and the quietness of it all. However, I consider a 'holiday' to be about a week long, and I've never done that in Ireland. Max I'd ever do is 3 days/2 nights at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Camped the last 3 years in Ireland. Seen one days rain in about 24 days overall.

Got so lucky but im getting out next year. I will still do a small bit of camping but not to the level of the last 3 years. SO SO lucky and have seen some amazing places. We had a brilliant time and because you are slumming it works out very cheap.
    Its not for everyone but i cant sit by a pool for a week. Id go mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'd like to see more of Ireland, I'm here for a number of years now but there's still so much I haven't seen.
    Realistically I don't have the time or spare cash to do it because for us visiting my family once a year (living on the canaries) has a higher priority.

I have to say though, my husband and I were spontaneously looking into going to West Cork when he was off to Cork city for work. It was impossible to find something remotely reasonable that we could justify financially.
    I wouldn't mind going to the West Midlands but it's hard to himself over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

camped in keel achill mid june - chipper closed on a saturday night only open fridays - welcome to ireland tourism

i was in west cork a couple of years ago and a lot of the restaurants were closed mon-wed in august

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Colmurph75

Nothing better than Kerry on a sunny summer day. Perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I really, really try and holiday abroad somewhere sunny with nice friendly people who provide services, accomodation, entertainment and food and at good to reasonable value for money prices and without constantly getting the feeling that I'm being cynically ripped off at every opportunity.

So no I never, ever holiday in Ireland unless things are going very, very badly wrong for me.

I read a really insightful post on Tripadvisor once - "Holidaying in Ireland is like standing under a cold shower ripping up €50 notes."

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Have done so for the last 10ish years. Mobile home in West Kerry every Weekend from Easter to End September and 2 weeks during summer aswell.

Love it but getting to the point of needing some guaranteed sunshine.

(actually typing this from Perth Western Australia, first holiday abroad in 10 years)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Yes I do and do often. However not because it is a bargain or anything.

A burger and chips and a drink in a pub in Dingle 4 will set you back € 26 , that is basically € 30 if you are going to tip and/or have a coffee. That is right € 30 for a pint and a burger.

A lot of our most famous tourist attractions are overpriced rip-offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We tried it one summer and found it cost more than a week on one of the French campsites or a holiday resort in Spain. Haven't bothered to do it again since tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We alternate between going abroad and holidaying in Ireland. Ireland has some fine hotels and fantastic scenery but the weather is the problem. Irish breaks are usually at short notice, so we can take advantage of decent weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Nope, another vote for it being an absolute rip off.

Holiday in Portugal last yr. 2 euro for a lovely coffee and pastry every morning sitting in the sun. Reckon your paying 7/8 here.

Evening meal about 15euro a head, and sipping pints at the beach bar for 1.50.

Its a no brainer really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Far too expensive. Tried a weekend in Mayo a few years ago and the prices were an absolute joke. €7 for a cheese sandwich. Rooms were far more expensive than most of the European cities we'd visited around them. Have some time off in early December and we are looking at trips. Can fly to Milan, Venice or Bologna for €27 return with Ryanair. Must be a dozen other destinations which will cost us less than €50. Hotels, food and weather will be far more favourable than Ireland also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Too expensive. And the landscape, which can be beautiful, is blighted by one off houses. There are far more beautiful places. Went to Scotland some years back and drove through the Highlands. The raw beauty and compete lack of bungalows was striking compared to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

Do you holiday in Ireland? If not, why not? I mean the benefits are many: environmentally, you get to explore and know your own country, boost the local economy and keep cash here.

I do, i go to Kilkee in County Clare every year,
    absolutely love the place, and the west in general.
    Apart from the obvious, scenery and lots of different swimming spots and golf courses, the people are just so much nicer than here in Dublin.
    Also, most are irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Du u no d way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yes indeed. I holiday on the west coastal counties mainly (Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Donegal).
    There is no such thing as bad weather, just soft people. Swimming on a magical beach in the rain is heavenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Too expensive. And the landscape, which can be beautiful, is blighted by one off houses. There are far more beautiful places. Went to Scotland some years back and drove through the Highlands. The raw beauty and compete lack of bungalows was striking compared to Ireland.

Good point.

What we need along the Atlantic coast is 20 storey apartment blocks every 5 miles or so in order to improve population density.

• Advertisement

Always. Since I got over the idea people push that you have to go foreign, I never travel outside Ireland any more for a holiday. I love the south west more than anywhere.

There's absolutely nothing I want to see in a European city anyway and the sun ones are just pure tack. Road trip and no airports is also bliss.

Advertisement