Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you holiday in Ireland?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fingerbang2

I can get 30 euro flights to Amsterdam to do my username, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I regularly go to Galway city centre the village I live near 59 miles from Galway there is a difference of 30 cent between the pint in the two places. Much of the tourism product in Ireland is a rip off. I and my family used to holiday in Ireland but the internet and particularly the available of inexpensive flights have made it that we don't need to pay the ridiculous prices here. I would never deny Ireland is a beautiful country it is and I have seen nearly every corner of it because of my hobby but I also shake my head at the excessive greed in the tourism sector.
    I spent a 8 days in Italy last summer with my wife, we would not have been able to enjoy the same break away here for the same price not even mentioning the weather.

A shot of vodka in my local village is €3.50 compared to city centre(cork) €5 the cheapest and I’m only 8 miles from city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fin12 wrote: »
    A shot of vodka in my local village is €3.50 compared to city centre(cork) €5 the cheapest and I’m only 8 miles from city.

I don't drink vodka. I compare what I drink. Having worked in the bar trade years ago shorts and soft drinks are a rip off no matter where you drink in Ireland except the canteen in an Army barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not so much holidaying but short breaks. I enjoy them. Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Kerry, Galway, Wexford, Kinsale, Rosslare the list goes on. A few golf trips thrown in as well (Ireland is fantastic for that). So many nice places to go to. Hotels are not always cheap but most of the time you find a deal in a decent enough place. Never failed to find a good place to eat.

Have done summer holidays at home (I live by the sea anyway) with a couple of the above wedged in.
    Staying here has a lot going for it. No paying for parking, flying, rental. You dont have those two travel days that are such a boring chore.

Doesn't have to be Portugal or Italy every year, but I do enjoy going away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I take my main summer holiday in Ireland but it has nothing to do with flight shaming or a desire to support local business. I have a hobby that takes me around the country and I enjoy it. I think I get reasonable value.

I also go abroad a few times a year and as others have said Portugal and Spain are cheap. Parts of France can be expensive but then trips abroad or at home can't be based simply on price. It depends on your sense of adventure and what you want to do with your time.

If you really want to experience a certain destination it's worth spending that bit extra rather than settling for something you don't really want just for the sake of getting away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I don't drink vodka. I compare what I drink. Having worked in the bar trade years ago shorts and soft drinks are a rip off no matter where you drink in Ireland except the canteen in an Army barracks.

Ya that’s exactly what I’m doing comparing what I drink so I’m valid in my point that drink is cheaper in the rural areas than in the city’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Rarely holiday in Ireland but thats mainly because I've been everywhere I want to see at least a few times. Will go away for a weekend to Galway & Cork most years to visit friends but never to do any touristy stuff. A big part of a holiday for me is seeing a different culture and eating different food and while food is decent enough here I much prefer what you can get in Italy, Spain, etc plus their much lower prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

gifted wrote: »
    Have you really gone to different restaurants with your family and checked prices and then decided to go back to the cheapest one??....and none of your kids were complaining?

I know you're speaking to another poster but when holidaying you're wandering around somewhere new and I for one always check the menus and the prices outside of restaurants if I don't like what I see or I don't like the prices we'll keep going until we find somewhere that we do like. We were out on Sunday night in a really touristy bar for dinner in their restaurant, wouldn't be somewhere we normally go. But 105 euro for a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine felt a bit steep. It was a special occasion but while the food was OK it certainly wouldn't be somewhere I'd go back to. That being said, the place was absolutely heaving and it's always nice to see a local business doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Ireland is so beautiful and there are still so many places I would love to visit here. I do weekend breaks every now and then. It's just not feasible to go for any more than that. Otherwise, I'll start looking at abroad where the same money will go a lot further.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

I would be more inclined to stay here if we got the weather.

hotels are pretty expensive though and cost, imagine spending two weeks in a hotel eating and drinking like ya do in Spain etc - would need another mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I don’t. I love Ireland but for a lot of it you’d need to be able to drive and I don’t. Also, there’s so much to see all over the world that I feel I can leave exploring Ireland until I’m an old person.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

poisonated wrote: »
    I don’t. I love Ireland but for a lot of it you’d need to be able to drive and I don’t. Also, there’s so much to see all over the world that I feel I can leave exploring Ireland until I’m an old person.

On a positive note, at least you will have the free travel then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

When you have kids, the weather is just too unpredictable and the prices can be eye watering even by Irish standards so err mostly towards foreign holidays.

That said, we've holidayed in places like Dingle and West Cork and when you get decent weather, there's few better holidays. Some of the best family holidays we ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Sitting here in lanzarote - watching waves crash of the rocks

I’ve always holidayed in Ireland but been in lanzarote last 5 days for first time in years and must say the value for money over is a lot better

Yes you have to put up with lads selling cheap watches etc but overall everything is so much better value -

Don’t want to change subject but our government / taxes on products is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

When you have kids, the weather is just too unpredictable and the prices can be eye watering even by Irish standards so err mostly towards foreign holidays.

That said, we've holidayed in places like Dingle and West Cork and when you get decent weather, there's few better holidays. Some of the best family holidays we ever had.

The weather is a big hit on the pocket. On lovely sunny days in Ireland it doesnt cost much to put a nice picnic together and its easier to keep kids amused outdoors. Then the rain comes and indoor entertainment is limited and costly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Edgware wrote: »
    The weather is a big hit on the pocket. On lovely sunny days in Ireland it doesnt cost much to put a nice picnic together and its easier to keep kids amused outdoors. Then the rain comes and indoor entertainment is limited and costly

What indoor entertainment do you normally avail of abroad which isn't available in Ireland or is prohibitively expensive here?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, we holiday in Ireland a couple of times per year, usually 2-5 nights in a nice suite. We pick only hotels with electric chargers access.
    A fav haunt of ours is Westport Plaza Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭gifted

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What indoor entertainment do you normally avail of abroad which isn't available in Ireland or is prohibitively expensive here?

It's very rare to avail of indoor entertainment when your abroad with family. The weather is usually sunny and fantastic whereas in Ireland it could be sunny one day and raining for the next 3 days and that's just in the Summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

J Mysterio wrote: »

None because it's not pissing rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Every summer. Doonbeg. Always get 5 great beach days out of the 7.

Hello. I am looking for a cycling holiday in Ireland, maybe West of ? I know I could possibly google but advices here is normally better from experience. Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Have seen everything worth seeing in Ireland. Highlights off the top of my head were the Bushmills distillery, Kilmainham jail and Killarney.

Looking forward to foreign travel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Advertisement