Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Sounded like he was calling it a day, or was it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

He is giving all the impressions that he will retire. Seems to be really savouring the achievement of the team, and more nostalgic about them. Also thought the celebration between himself and Comerford at the final whistle was significant. It would be good time for him to step down I think. Be major loss of course although I think Comerford is growing into the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hes never leaving hes not allowed shut up all of yas!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Damm straight.

Talk of Clucko retiring is a banable offence ya'll.

Yiz have been warned !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Slattsy wrote: »

Kinda got that myself. The main thing is he wants to play. I’m sure he’ll give it another crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭muddle84

Are people just taking that from his award speech? If he does retire talk about going out on top!!! But....... Nah he is going nowhere......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He is giving all the impressions that he will retire. Seems to be really savouring the achievement of the team, and more nostalgic about them. Also thought the celebration between himself and Comerford at the final whistle was significant. It would be good time for him to step down I think. Be major loss of course although I think Comerford is growing into the position.
    Hes never leaving hes not allowed shut up all of yas!! :pac:
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Damm straight.

Talk of Clucko retiring is a banable offence ya'll.

Yiz have been warned !

Cluxton has plenty of years left in him.
    Sure a Waterford fella Darren Mulhearne made his debut a Munster football championship game this summer, aged 46!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0510/1048780-waterford-hand-46-year-old-keeper-mulhearne-first-start/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Really hard to know everybody is trying to read every gesture like his walk around after the final to a few things he said last night .would not be surprised either way as there are sound reasons for both courses of action.He will be a huge loss but we are going to lose a few names over the next year or so but the biggest for me will be Jim gavin he will I think be massive to replace the next in will have an impossible job to avoid negative comparisons. Hope i am wrong on that score .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Slattsy wrote: »

Who knows really. It is only natural that at 37 a player might have thoughts along those lines. But he was just as clear about how much he loved playing so time will tell.

Either way all that matters right now is he deserves every bit of praise for winning the player of the year award and deservedly so too. A true Dublin great and legend of the game.

Well done Alan Nolan on single handily ending Cuala's season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Someone mentioned to me yesterday that Michael Fitzsimons was interviewed during the All Stars live and it was a bit of a car crash - anyone see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Really hard to know everybody is trying to read every gesture like his walk around after the final to a few things he said last night .would not be surprised either way as there are sound reasons for both courses of action.He will be a huge loss but we are going to lose a few names over the next year or so but the biggest for me will be Jim gavin he will I think be massive to replace the next in will have an impossible job to avoid negative comparisons. Hope i am wrong on that score .

He obviously has made a decision but I think it’s a savvy move keeping his cards close to his chest. Less pressure on his replacement too IF he is to quit, though Comerford will be a terrific replacement, from the bits we’ve seen of him with Ballymun and with the Dubs in the league. He comes across also as a seriously intelligent and calm level headed fella. With a tonne of ability.

Whats the news PD.

Terrible tackle but they cant be using that as an excuse.

Like too many Dublin hurling teams, hadn't the bollox to stand up when it counted.

Sad but true/

Didn't realise he didn't start! Still though, should be beating them.

Terrible tackle but they cant be using that as an excuse.

Like too many Dublin hurling teams, hadn't the bollox to stand up when it counted.

Sad but true/

Pardonnez moi comrade, but that's a birrova daft statement to make about a club that has won as much as they have over the past couple of years.

It was.

I withdraw. Stupid reaction to people blaming Nolan for them being beaten.

Bodens comfortable enough overall got a few handy scores direct from Davis knockouts and calls from the ref but were definitely the much better team.Hope they do something from from here but would be surprised to see them go all the way .Also a reasonable crowd in attendance as most of the first match fans left straight away after their match.

So another retirement today Eoghan O Gara.

Unsung hero at times over the years for Dublin. Not the prettiest player but always done more then a job and incredibly hard to mark always caused hassle in and around the box!

His goal against Tyrone in 2010 kick started the dominant recent years in one way.

I hope he's the last one to leave before the new season but who knows!

Properly divided opinion but for me he certainly did a job on occasions .Thought he improved as a player for a few years and gave us something different. Wound up with huge haul of medals so I wish him well and thank him for some great memories.

• Advertisement

That goal was definitely one of the most significant turning points in Dublin history, He also put Ricey on his ar$e over the Cusack sideline. Perhaps that was equally important!

Hard to imagine now what a hold Tyrone seemed to have over us. That was it. Think they've only won two of last 13/14 meetings,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That goal was definitely one of the most significant turning points in Dublin history, He also put Ricey on his ar$e over the Cusack sideline. Perhaps that was equally important!

Hard to imagine now what a hold Tyrone seemed to have over us. That was it. Think they've only won two of last 13/14 meetings,

And Omagh again in March or April. I think I'll buy a home up there we're up there that often.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's a moment that stands out in my memories of this Dublin team, after years of humiliations, moral victories, and limp quarter final exits, this was the moment that signified to me (and everyone, really) that there's something different here.

For me, there's no one else quite like O'Gara on the Dublin team. Able to jump with three defenders hanging out of him, take the ball in a forest of fists, land awkwardly, strong arm one defender away, drop the shoulder into anothers chest, and suddenly he's away clean when he had no right to that ball. Of course, despite getting away clean, he'd probably foul the ball, or try to solo it and kick it to a grateful defender, or get a red card for some silly macho hangbags.

Despite his numerous faults, I'll always love him to bits for that goal.

Bernard got 9 points in that game. Unreal.

As an aside, I get why you don't want more retirements, but I'm kinda torn on it to be honest. I want us to continue to dominate, and I'm not sure that we can do that if we're playing guys that're past their sell by date. Keep them on as coaches, sure, but I think that we need to move on a little. We should have more players coming through screaming for the opportunity.

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's a moment that stands out in my memories of this Dublin team, after years of humiliations, moral victories, and limp quarter final exits, this was the moment that signified to me (and everyone, really) that there's something different here.

For me, there's no one else quite like O'Gara on the Dublin team. Able to jump with three defenders hanging out of him, take the ball in a forest of fists, land awkwardly, strong arm one defender away, drop the shoulder into anothers chest, and suddenly he's away clean when he had no right to that ball. Of course, despite getting away clean, he'd probably foul the ball, or try to solo it and kick it to a grateful defender, or get a red card for some silly macho hangbags.

Despite his numerous faults, I'll always love him to bits for that goal.

Bernard got 9 points in that game. Unreal.

As an aside, I get why you don't want more retirements, but I'm kinda torn on it to be honest. I want us to continue to dominate, and I'm not sure that we can do that if we're playing guys that're past their sell by date. Keep them on as coaches, sure, but I think that we need to move on a little. We should have more players coming through screaming for the opportunity.

Haha! Bascially summed him up perfectly he was incredibly frustrating to watch at times could literally be on the pitch a minute or two and he pick up a card! At same time he offered something no other forward player did in the team so he was always such a useful player to have especially in situations that needed a change!

O Gara was a very physical player but lacked the skill at times to be a proper out and out scoring forward. He never looked that comfortable kicking points. Could deffo score a goal though!

If you want to look at physically dominant players though I think Con is already there and will only get better.

Some of the work he done on the ball this year was amazing to watch. I can't remember which game it was one the later matchs but the high ball he won in between defenders that he fell very awkwardly after but got up straight away was very impressive!

My biggest worry with him is he burns himself out at a young age but we see!

Anyway O Gara I will miss the total unpredictable nature of what he brought to the team more then anything!

Two down...

Castlebar and Tyrone booked. Are we away or at home to Donegal. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Castlebar and Tyrone booked. Are we away or at home to Donegal. Thanks.

At home, Sat Feb 22nd.

At home, Sat Feb 22nd.
    Thanks. So hard to get fixtures and mixed messages everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Could someone post the full fixtures if they have them please ?

Why haven't they been released yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

Joekers wrote: »
    Could someone post the full fixtures if they have them please ?

Why haven't they been released yet ?

Not confirmed but from other sources and a bit of detective work
    Jan 25 Kerry h
    Feb 1 mayo a
    Feb 8 Monaghan h
    Feb 22 donegal h
    Feb 29 Tyrone a
    March 14 Meath h
    March 22 Galway a

Don’t book hotels that you can’t cancel based on that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement