Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2019-20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And no wonder Kerry's is so good. Its beyond a joke in fairness, 8 Senior clubs in Kerry :pac:

I wonder how Kerry's 50th best would fair v Dublins 50th

It’s not beyond a joke though- it’s to ensure a competitive championship while also maintaining the divisional sides that have served us so well.

The divisional sides system has been in place since long before these club championships came along and has been copied by other counties such as Cork.

A mid ranking intermediate team in Kerry, like Glenflesk would not have a hope against Crokes or the top divisional sides so why would be want a championship laden with hammerings?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

It’s not beyond a joke though- it’s to ensure a competitive championship while also maintaining the divisional sides that have served us so well.

The divisional sides system has been in place since long before these club championships came along and has been copied by other counties such as Cork.

A mid ranking intermediate team in Kerry, like Glenflesk would not have a hope against Crokes or the top divisional sides so why would be want a championship laden with hammerings?

Remember Glenflesk won that Millennium Cup, that was a great competition was like the FA Cup.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/sport/other-sports/millennium-cup-gets-under-way-27373072.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Remember Glenflesk won that Millennium Cup, that was a great competition was like the FA Cup.

That was a glenflesk team on the way up with Moynihan & Crowley! You know what I mean though- most of the intermediate teams would be well beaten by the top clubs & divisional sides.

That millennium cup was a cracker- I remember renard, then a junior b/novice team, taking rahillys to extra time and John Sugrue giving a master class at midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It's some system in Kerry

Think it's was Cahirciveen won an intermediate all Ireland but didn't get up senior in Kerry?

Templenoe will be Kerry's 9th best club who will play Eire Og in Munster

Eire Og are the 20th best club side in Cork before the restructuring next year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

That was a glenflesk team on the way up with Moynihan & Crowley! You know what I mean though- most of the intermediate teams would be well beaten by the top clubs & divisional sides.

That millennium cup was a cracker- I remember renard, then a junior b/novice team, taking rahillys to extra time and John Sugrue giving a master class at midfield

Oh without a doubt they would beat out the gate,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

No stream showing on that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

No stream showing on that for me.

Game delayed due to previous game. Starting at 7:15

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Me either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Me either

Is it geo blocked. Do we need a vpn for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Offaly Senior B champions Seir Kieran beat Meath Senior Champions Kildalkey today 1-18 to 0-11. I was surprised Seir Kieran were in the grade as I recall their name being mentioned up with Birr, St. Rynagh's etc. as strong club teams during Offaly's heyday.

I looked them up on Wikipedia and I dare anyone to find a longer wikipedia page for a GAA club. The thing is massive, and goes into absurd detail and total irrelevance at times (e.g. entire paragraphs on Offaly games where I can't see any Seir Keiran connection).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

physioman wrote: »
    Is it geo blocked. Do we need a vpn for it?
    Anybody in the Republic manage to get this working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Offaly Senior B champions Seir Kieran beat Meath Senior Champions Kildalkey today 1-18 to 0-11. I was surprised Seir Kieran were in the grade as I recall their name being mentioned up with Birr, St. Rynagh's etc. as strong club teams during Offaly's heyday.

I looked them up on Wikipedia and I dare anyone to find a longer wikipedia page for a GAA club. The thing is massive, and goes into absurd detail and total irrelevance at times (e.g. entire paragraphs on Offaly games where I can't see any Seir Keiran connection).

Thats an understatement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Pighead wrote: »
    Anybody in the Republic manage to get this working?

Couldn't get it to work. Clontibret beat them 10-09

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Knocknagree, a tiny rural club in Cork on the border with Kerry, won the county intermediate championship today in Pairc Ui Rinn. 2-10 to 1-11. That's a huge achievement for a club of its size. They only won junior 2 years ago and won the all Ireland that year also. No reason why they cant take a crack at the all Ireland again this year. They have a few players on the Duhallow panel that lost the cork senior final to Nemo Rangers last weekend. A small club doing trojan work and getting fantastic rewards out of it.

Edit to add I'm not certain they go through to the all Ireland series as there is a premier intermediate level in Cork too. Maybe one of our Cork posters could confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Some win for Clontibret there, beating Scotstown and Cross back to back is no mean feat.

They'll fancy their chances in Ulster now that they've dispatched of Cross, and why wouldn't they, it looks wide open now. They have a nice blend of youth and experience in their team, and having McManus in attack doesn't hurt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The senior A championship in offaly was reduced from 12 to 8 teams a few years ago. The gap between top and bottom teams was too big. A new Senior B grade was created with the bottom 4 senior teams and top 4 Intermediate teams.
    Last year Seir Kieran were relegated from the 8 team Senior A championship to the senior B. It is the definition of a rural parish . A church, a primary school and a hurling club and that's about it. Population is less than 500 but has 3 adult hurling teams. They won the Senior B fairly handy and also reached the Intermediate final.

No adult Male is allowed to retire from what I can see. Youd have to admire them. They sure love their hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

dobman88 wrote:
    Edit to add I'm not certain they go through to the all Ireland series as there is a premier intermediate level in Cork too. Maybe one of our Cork posters could confirm

I believe they won't go on to the All Ireland series. Premier Intermediate go forward as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Both all Ireland champions club finals are today. It’s a bit of a David vs Goliath in the Dublin final. Would be great to see Thomas Davies win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Both all Ireland champions club finals are today. It’s a bit of a David vs Goliath in the Dublin final. Would be great to see Thomas Davies win it.

Only caught a few of the quarter finals but it does sound like Thomas Davis have a mountain to climb.

I've still nightmares about my own club men having an off day against Ballyboden in the All Ireland Club final.

Hope it's a cracker as I've the record button on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Cuala have just been knocked out of the Leinster Club by St. Mullins from Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Cuala have just been knocked out of the Leinster Club by St. Mullins from Carlow.

Shock of the year.
    Con o callaghan didn't start. Was he injured from the start

kala85 wrote: »
    Shock of the year.
    Con o callaghan didn't start. Was he injured from the start

He was still injured from the Alan Nolan hatchet job in the county final.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

Great game in the Ulster Club Senior Championship in Enniskillen today, with Derrygonnelly (Fermanagh) beating Trillick (Tyrone) in a sudden death penalty shoot out. All square after extra time, both teams scored their initial 5 penalties with D'Gonnelly scoring their 6th and a miss from Trillick.
    D'Gonnelly now play Kilcoo (Down) in Semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

That's no excuse. Once again our hurling prima donnas got chinned.

Manager was probably watching Ballyhale training.

Bonniedog wrote: »

They didn't ask why Cuala lost (you're probably right), they asked why O'Callaghan didn't start.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

A big shock seeing Cuala lose. On his podcast last week, Colm Parkinson was already looking forward to their Leinster final with Ballyhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

No bother for the Donegal champs seeing off the Cavan champs, a poor reflection on the standard of football in Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Bonniedog wrote: »

Bit harsh for a double all Ireland winning side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭brookville

Watching tg4 this afternoon and they had a pick the best goal type thing and one was Flanagan for limerick against dublin in nowlan park in the league semi finals.Alan nolan came running out and lunged two footed into Flanagan luckily for him he anticipated it and side stepped after striking.Nolan would need to cut this out of his game refs will surely be watching out next year.

Advertisement