Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2019-20

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Choochtown

threeball wrote: »
    If you drag them into the dirt they'll match you. They generally don't start it. Kilcoo set out their stall early.

Did you even watch the match?

I'd say it was 50:50 although the stats say Corofin committed over double the amount of fouls that Kilcoo did (23-11).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Fair play to ballyhale unreal team, borris had good few bad wides but were never threatening to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

tanko wrote: »
    Aye, don't suppose you saw Corofin players drag Kilcoo players down using rugby tackles on two or three occasions towards the end of normal time?
    Or Lundys thuggery? Filthy bunch indeed.
    Corofin are a fantastic team but their legacy has been tainted by their behaviour today imo.

Utter nonsense.
    Kilcoo embarrassed themselves today- I wanted them to win prior to the match because as a neutral you nearly always want the underdogs to win but jeez their carryon was pathetic.

Lads screaming anti northern bias on here are deluded- that epitomised the stereotypes today- the brawl at full time was pure orchestrated behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Also the definition of the tackle for hurling is far worse.

Basically everything is allowed unless it's against the rules.

The bit about the charge is the shoulder (says a world about whoever drafted this rule that instead of using the universal "shoulder" term they use charge, which most GAA people when they hear it will think of something in possession trying to barge through an opposition player.

It is no wonder that there is confusion about the definition of what is/isn't a legit tackle in both codes, when the actual definition in the rule-book is so poor.

Alot of truth in this. I agree that the tackle needs more definition and more so players need to be trained how to tackle within these rules. Not in a million years could a system like VAR work in GAA when nobody knows for sure what the bloody rules are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Utter nonsense.
    Kilcoo embarrassed themselves today- I wanted them to win prior to the match because as a neutral you nearly always want the underdogs to win but jeez their carryon was pathetic.

Lads screaming anti northern bias on here are deluded- that epitomised the stereotypes today- the brawl at full time was pure orchestrated tramp behaviour

Cmon gill, corofin were no Angel's either. Twas Lundy that started the tunnel melee which the Garda had to step in and break up. Hit a Kilcoo man with a dirty shoulder running past him down the tunnel. I was at the game and both teams were as cynical as each other.

https://twitter.com/mossyquinn/status/1218950216675680256?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Utter nonsense.

Lads screaming anti northern bias on here are deluded- that epitomised the stereotypes today- the brawl at full time was pure orchestrated tramp behaviour
    Give an example of kilcoo being disgraceful?

Corofin seem to get away with cynical behaviour in every game and it never gets called out by pundits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Attendance of 25,930 according to the Indo. Up from 17,819 last year

I would say decision to move finals forward very much justified anyway. That said the great weather was a huge help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Utter nonsense.

They were a fkn disgrace. No fan of Ballyboden but did same to them.

Fair play to Corofin. They play the game the way it should. And didn't get psyched out by the "tactics." Best club team I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Give an example of kilcoo being disgraceful?

I was at the match right at the tunnel in the Hogan. At half time a Kilcoo player running down the tunnel put a shoulder directly into the back of one of the Corofin coaching staff. That seemed to be one of the incidents that really stirred up the bad blood.

Corofin can be as cynical as they come (I'm from Galway and see them regularly) but I got the feeling it was a more deliberate part of Kilcoo's gameplan than Corofin's (at least initially).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Can we just accept that teams at the highest level are well able to turn it on when it comes to cynicism? Regardless of whether they’re from Ulster or not? Kerry do it, Dublin do it, Tyrone do it, Crossmaglen do it, Corofin do it, Kilcoo do it. Big fùcking deal,

Hats off to Corofin, unreal achievement. Commiserations Kilcoo, some people didn’t even fancy them to win Down last year

• Advertisement

armaghlad wrote: »
    Can we just accept that teams at the highest level are well able to turn it on when it comes to cynicism? Regardless of whether they’re from Ulster or not? Kerry do it, Dublin do it, Tyrone do it, Crossmaglen do it, Corofin do it, Kilcoo do it. Big fùcking deal, no pleasing half you fannies, and some of you couldn’t wait to let your wee west Brit masks slip which is no surprise.

Hats off to Corofin, unreal achievement. Commiserations Kilcoo, some people didn’t even fancy them to win Down last year

Have we touched a nerve little one?

The reason why such traits are, nearly always, automatically applied to a northern team is because when games finish low scoring and are littered with petty fouls and off the ball incidents- they nearly always involve a northern team. That’s not to say all northern teams engage in it but most of the teams that do come from one geographical area

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why don't they do a triple header over 2 days

One day all the hurling finals (Junior, intermediate and senior)
    One day all the football finals (junior, Intermediate and senior)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Why don't they do a triple header over 2 days

One day all the hurling finals (Junior, intermediate and senior)
    One day all the football finals (junior, Intermediate and senior)

Yeah, was only thinking over the weekend, I think this would work very well myself

Could see this being implemented sooner rather than later too once they sort out the single calendar year format

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Can we just accept that teams at the highest level are well able to turn it on when it comes to cynicism? Regardless of whether they’re from Ulster or not? Kerry do it, Dublin do it, Tyrone do it, Crossmaglen do it, Corofin do it, Kilcoo do it. Big fùcking deal, no pleasing half you fannies, and some of you couldn’t wait to let your wee west Brit masks slip which is no surprise.

The problem is that the GAA powers that be have done absolutely nothing whatsoever to combat cynicism.
    Bring in a rule that says every foul anywhere on the pitch is a 21 metre free in front of the posts and a absolutely vast amount of nonsense would vanish over-night. Would make life much easier for refs and improve the sport significantly.
    The situation currently is that any team that doesn't go out to be as cynical and as unsportsman like as possible is simply handing the opposition a massive advantage, which is a damming indictment of the powers that be. Expect similar late game scenarios to keep occuring in games, especially finals, until there is a rule change to tackle this.

Also the cynicism is not confined to football either - there were countless instances in hurling in the last year where defenders pulled down forwards where there was the possibility of a goal chance.
    There's also the fact that the nature of hurling - especially the fast movement of the ball and the number of turnovers and the fact that frees can be scored from much further out the field in hurling - means that the massed defence is less effective [far easier to simply shoot from distance] and the also you see a lot less of the pull-down/hold-up play/allow the defence back the field get in position and mark-up fouls that are a feature of football.

Illiterate, f*ckin idiot, triggered?

It’s like having a discussion with a hormonal teenager who isn’t intelligent enough to make their point so they just start rambling & shouting insults.

So your point was that people who don’t agree with you are “west Brits” & “fannies” yet you claim to expect better from the GAA forum??

It’s an odd approach to be honest
    Yours is an odd approach, I merely commented that all teams were capable of being cynical, that was my point which you seemed to ignore? I then alluded to what I consider to be a pathetic comment made by a west Brit, you somehow took this as a slur against everyone that “didn’t agree” with my point, and we now find ourselves with you trying to indirectly call me British? West Brit behaviour if ever I saw it. Please come to Crossmaglen square and espouse these views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Please come to Crossmaglen square and espouse these views.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The problem is that the GAA powers that be have done absolutely nothing whatsoever to combat cynicism.
    Bring in a rule that says every foul anywhere on the pitch is a 21 metre free in front of the posts and a absolutely vast amount of nonsense would vanish over-night. Would make life much easier for refs and improve the sport significantly.
    The situation currently is that any team that doesn't go out to be as cynical and as unsportsman like as possible is simply handing the opposition a massive advantage, which is a damming indictment of the powers that be. Expect similar late game scenarios to keep occuring in games, especially finals, until there is a rule change to tackle this.

Also the cynicism is not confined to football either - there were countless instances in hurling in the last year where defenders pulled down forwards where there was the possibility of a goal chance.
    There's also the fact that the nature of hurling - especially the fast movement of the ball and the number of turnovers and the fact that frees can be scored from much further out the field in hurling - means that the massed defence is less effective [far easier to simply shoot from distance] and the also you see a lot less of the pull-down/hold-up play/allow the defence back the field get in position and mark-up fouls that are a feature of football.

The black card was brought it to put a stop to cynical fouls, but the the vast majority of referees do not use it until the last few minutes when the game is more or less over.
    I have been at games where neither side were alter boy`s and on the rare occasion where the referee flashed the black card early it cut out the messing.
    Others where he didn`t it just got progressively worse.

The rule is there, but the majority of the times referees are copping out flashing yellow when it should be black. Al that is doing is the lad on yellow behaves but the rest know they are not going to go off on a black card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yours is an odd approach, I merely commented that all teams were capable of being cynical, that was my point which you seemed to ignore? I then alluded to what I consider to be a pathetic comment made by a west Brit, you somehow took this as a slur against everyone that “didn’t agree” with my point, and we now find ourselves with you trying to indirectly call me British? West Brit behaviour if ever I saw it. Please come to Crossmaglen square and espouse these views.

Mod Warning

Closing this thread for the moment for sanctions to be applied

Veiled threats of violence against fellow posters are taken very seriously

The tit for tat comparing the more unsavoury incidents involving both teams must stop

Use of terms such as tramp,west brits and calling fellow posters illiterate/idiots is not permitted.

This is not the forum for arguing over the definition of irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It would be the stuff made of dreams if Magheracloone manage to win the intermediate title this weekend.

seligehgit wrote: »
    It would be the stuff made of dreams if Magheracloone manage to win the intermediate title this weekend.
    They got out of a very competitive Ulster; and had been senior in Monaghan for quite some time. I’m guessing Oughterard will be favourites given they overcame Templenoe, can’t say Magheracloone will have learned much from trouncing mattock Rangers

Decent enough game in Croke Park.

Edit: that’ll do it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Choochtown wrote: »
    I've never got the "hurling is better than football" or (much less common) "football is better than hurling" arguments.

They are 2 completely different sports with the only obvious similarities being the GAA and the scoring systems.

I much prefer football with it's variance of tactical approaches and formations and the fact that most scores tend to be "hard-earned".

Hurling on the other hand whilst I admire the skills on display the relentless scoring/shot taking ("ball is pucked out breaks loose is picked up and it's over the bar ...etc. ") can for me get a bit samey bordering on boring.

But that's just me. I'm hardly going to declare football a superior game just because I enjoy it more. Some people love watching ice skating ffs whatever floats your boat.

While my opinion of Hurling & Football couldn't be more different from you I respect & enjoyed your post. It's a shame that attitude isn't more prevalent.
    To each their own and it doesn't get much sillier than arguing over which sport is better. Aside from it being a case of comparing apple's & oranges, it serves no purpose.
    We watch what we enjoy.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

Advertisement