Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Nolan give 1 year to guilty pedo.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Jesus Christ. Talk about going around in circles.

I don't give a shite about this teacher. But it's beyond ridiculous to convict a woman in her twenties that had sex with a teenager to twice the sentence as a man who spent two years raping his infant daughter. Neither of them are right but one is far, far worse than the other.

And it's not 'two wrongs'. Every sexual offence that comes before this judge results in a suspended or extremely lenient sentence. But this is the one that he decides to give a harsh sentence to. And by harsh I mean harsh compared to his usual sentences for sexual offences. Next week this judge will most likely give another suspended sentence to a man for raping a child and say something like "he's suffered enough".

Anyway that's it. I give up.

It’s also beyond ridiculous to only get one year for that crime. If the convicted sex offender had a penis many of those defending her here would be whining about another example of soft sentencing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

A qualified teacher who believed she could legally have sex with her students as long as they were over 16?

Seriously, is this not covered in teacher training courses?

Before being allowed into a classroom, every teacher should be required to sign a declaration acknowledging his or her understanding that a person in authority who engages in a sexual act with a child under 18 is guilty of a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

tritium wrote: »
    It’s also beyond ridiculous to only get one year for that crime. If the convicted sex offender had a penis many of those defending her here would be whining about another example of soft sentencing

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-injured-woman-masturbating-suspended-sentence-4739222-Jul2019/

Yep - Martin Nolan again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

No one goes into teacher training thinking there is nothing wrong with having sex with their own students, 17 or not. This woman is a predator, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    This woman is a predator, end of.

Utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Utter nonsense.

Complete predator and I'd be worried about anyone who disagrees with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

A qualified teacher who believed she could legally have sex with her students as long as they were over 16?

Before being allowed into a classroom, every teacher should be required to sign a declaration acknowledging his or her understanding that a person in authority who engages in a sexual act with a child under 18 is guilty of a criminal offence.

That isn't of course, the law. The law states that people aged 17 and older in Ireland are able to give consent, regardless of who it is with (apart from close relative, which as far as I'm aware, is illegal regardless of age). This law doesn't apply where the person cannot reasonably give consent, regardless of age (for instance if the person in question suffers significant mental retardation)

In the UK her reading of the law would have been correct, though her position (being one of his teachers) and actions (namely the evident intent when putting off sexual relations until his birthday) both would make this unethical in the extreme.
    tritium wrote: »
    Now that I’ve answered you, let’s hear your thoughts: what is the appropriate sentence for the defilement of a just turned 16 year old child by an older adult in a position of authority?

Like most Europeans I don't think that the age that people can legally give consent should be 17, I think it should be 16. Perhaps having a special clause based upon whether one of the people involved is in a position of authority over the other. But Ireland is always slow in changing its laws. It required multiple deaths before any action was taken in relation to the relaxation of abortion laws, and unless we have some suicides from 18 year olds in relationships with people 2 years their junior who are facing being put on the sex offenders list, we are unlikely to see any movement of this issue.

Given that the law is what it is there is mandatory aspects to sentencing. For instance it is mandatory, I believe, that she is put on the sex offenders list. This is significantly harsher than the 1 year jail time. If the sex offender registration were not on the cards a 6-7 year jail term would probably be equivalent. It will be difficult for her to rebuild her life. She will need to start from scratch, but with a significant number of restrictions upon what she can can do.

The second most significant part of the sentence is the jail time, which is currently 3 years, with two years suspended.

When looking at justice.. I know most people here don't really care about justice, but if you look at justice one asks: how can the wrong be made right? For material loss, how can the plaintiff be made whole?

If the wrong, in this case, was an impact on the boy's education, then how could that be made right? There may be a monetary and emotional cost if the student deems it necessary to change schools as a consequence of this case. Perhaps the teacher in this case may be able to pay some damages to this end, but seeing that she's a newly qualified teacher that hasn't been long in her job I doubt she is swimming in cash. Nevertheless some restitution might be possible here, if necessary.

What other wrongs were committed? Certainly the exposure that this case has had on the life of the student and his family must be damaging. However, that is to do with the case and consequent media coverage, and not the crime itself, therefore it seems prudent to ignore it.

It is hard to know what other harms may have been committed here. It is possible that she used blackmail and emotional manipulation. She seems to have given him gifts, which may indicate this, but I don't have enough details to be able to say for sure. If this was the case, then the emotional damage that this may have caused should be reflected in the sentencing. However, this is more psychological than sexual, and the law (not to mention boards.ie posters ) is more interested in carnal knowledge, so it's straying from what would be considered particularly serious by the court.

So what other harms may she have committed? Bringing her role as custodian and educator into disrepute? That's certainly true, but this strays into the territory of 'making an example' of a particular person to make a point, and is also likely to heavily be informed by her sex, as women in society are usually seen having a more caring role in society than men. I can see some merit in considering these aspects, but I'm nevertheless cautious.

Finally there's the mitigating circumstances off full cooperation and complete admission. Possibly this was motivated by her initially thinking that she was on a solid legal footing. In the same way that making an example of someone to warn off similar behavior is considered by the court, so too is cooperative behavior used to make sentencing more lenient in order to encourage others who may be in the docs to cooperate with the courts. Again I have hesitant to put too much stock on this as it ignores the particulars of the case and is predominantly utilitarian in its ambitions.

Did you want a one line answer? I hope not. I think a one line answer would be nonsensical, and not treating the case with due seriousness.

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Complete predator and I'd be worried about anyone who disagrees with that.

I think the chilling effect that some posters are attempting to engage in is f*cking putrid.

At least the anti-abortion 'debaters' were more candid
    'you waant to muuuurder babies!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

That isn't of course, the law. The law states that people aged 17 and older in Ireland are able to give consent, regardless of who it is with (apart from close relative, which as far as I'm aware, is illegal regardless of age).

I'm afraid it is the law. See Section 18 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017: Offence by person in authority.

This makes it an offence for a person to have sexual relations with a child under the age of 18 years over whom he or she is in a position of authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Four posts in and no South Park references yet?

• Advertisement

I'm afraid it is the law. See Section 18 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017: Offence by person in authority.

This makes it an offence for a person to have sexual relations with a child under the age of 18 years over whom he or she is in a position of authority.

Oh right! That's a pretty recent change! That seems like a pretty reasonable law.

Therefore it makes the unusually high age of consent make even less sense as this should already protect vulnerable individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That isn't of course, the law. The law states that people aged 17 and older in Ireland are able to give consent, regardless of who it is with (apart from close relative, which as far as I'm aware, is illegal regardless of age). This law doesn't apply where the person cannot reasonably give consent, regardless of age (for instance if the person in question suffers significant mental retardation)

In the UK her reading of the law would have been correct, though her position (being one of his teachers) and actions (namely the evident intent when putting off sexual relations until his birthday) both would make this unethical in the extreme.

Like most Europeans I don't think that the age that people can legally give consent should be 17, I think it should be 16. Perhaps including a special clause based upon whether one of the people involved is in a position of authority over the other. But Ireland is always slow in changing its laws. It required multiple deaths before any action was taken in relation to the relaxation of abortion laws, and unless we have some suicides from 18 year olds in relationships with people 2 years their junior who are facing being put on the sex offenders list, we are unlikely to see any movement of this issue.

Given that the law is what it is there is mandatory aspects to sentencing. For instance it is mandatory, I believe, that she is put on the sex offenders list. This is significantly harsher than the 1 year jail time. If the sex offender registration were not on the cards a 6-7 year jail term would probably be equivalent. It will be difficult for her to rebuild her life. She will need to start from scratch, but with a significant number of restrictions upon what she can can do.

The second most significant part of the sentence is the jail time, which is currently 3 years, with two years suspended.

When looking at justice.. I know most people here don't really care about justice, but if you look at justice one asks: how can the wrong be made right? For material loss, how can the plaintiff be made whole?

If the wrong, in this case, was an impact on the boy's education, then how could that be made right? There may be a monetary and emotional cost if the student deems it necessary to change schools as a consequence of this case. Perhaps the teacher in this case may be able to pay some damages to this end, but seeing that she's a newly qualified teacher that hasn't been long in her job I doubt she is swimming in cash. Nevertheless some restitution might be possible here, if necessary.

What other wrongs were committed? Certainly the exposure that this case has had on the life of the student and his family must be damaging. However, that is to do with the case and consequent media coverage, and not the crime itself, therefore it seems prudent to ignore it.

It is hard to know what other harms may have been committed here. It is possible that she used blackmail and emotional manipulation. She seems to have given him gifts, which may indicate this, but I don't have enough details to be able to say for sure. If this was the case, then the emotional damage that this may have caused should be reflected in the sentencing. However, this is more psychological than sexual, and the law (not to mention boards.ie posters ) is more interested in carnal knowledge, so it's straying from what would be considered particularly serious by the court.

So what other harms may she have committed? Bringing her role as custodian and educator into disrepute? That's certainly true, but this strays into the territory of 'making an example' of a particular person to make a point, and is also likely to heavily be informed by her sex, as women in society are usually seen having a more caring role in society than men. I can see some merit in considering these aspects, but I'm nevertheless cautious.

Finally there's the mitigating circumstances off full cooperation and complete admission. Possibly this was motivated by her initially thinking that she was on a solid legal footing. In the same way that making an example of someone to warn off similar behavior is considered by the court, so too is cooperative behavior used to make sentencing more lenient in order to encourage others who may be in the docks to cooperate with the courts. Again I am hesitant to put too much stock on this as it ignores the particulars of the case and is predominantly utilitarian in its ambitions.

Did you want a one line answer? I hope not. I think a one line answer would be nonsensical, and not treating the case with due seriousness.

Why should the age of consent be 16 instead of 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Oh right! That's a pretty recent change! That seems like a pretty reasonable law.

Therefore it makes the unusually high age of consent make even less sense as this should already protect vulnerable individuals.

Recent? It’s been the law since 2006?

(3) A person who has been convicted of an offence under subsection (1) shall, in respect of any subsequent conviction of an offence under that subsection, be liable on conviction on indictment—

(a) to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years, or

(b) if he or she is a person in authority, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 15 years.

Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006

Whatever she claims to have believed is the age of consent, is irrelevant.

nullzero wrote: »
    Why should the age of consent be 16 instead of 17?

The minimum age for engaging in sexual activity has, however, been set lower [than adulthood], at 17 years. Lower still, at 16 years, is the age for consenting to medical procedures , leaving school , and the age at which one ceases to be a child for the purposes of employment legislation. The age of criminal responsibility is 12, although it is lower again, at 10 years, in the case of certain offences, including certain sexual offences. It is not entirely clear whether there is a coherent notion of maturity or development which justifies the fixing of these different age brackets. What is clear, however, is that Irish law takes a progressive or gradual approach to the issue of maturity and adulthood. This makes intuitive sense. Rather than seeing the coming of adulthood as a magical process that occurs overnight, the law sees it as developing incrementally. That said, the existence of these different age limits could be a source of practical difficulty.

At 16 the law would be consistent throughout the island of Ireland, which is a positive. Second it would make the 16 threshold, used for many different rights, apply also to consent.

However I think that the age of consent should be set even lower for those engaging in sexual relations with anyone that is a peer. I think an age of consent of 13 or 14 provided that the other individual involved is not more than 3 years older, nor in a position of authority, seems sensible.

The minimum age for engaging in sexual activity has, however, been set lower [than adulthood], at 17 years.

There is no such thing in Irish law as a minimum age for engaging in sexual activity.

However I think that the age of consent should be set even lower for those engaging in sexual relations with anyone that is a peer. I think an age of consent of 13 or 14 provided that the other individual involved is not more than 3 years older, nor in a position of authority, seems sensible.

Did you read the Act that Permabear posted? There already exists in Irish law an defence which allows for an age gap of two years, as well as a number of other conditions which are permitted to form the basis of a defence, if the DPP decides to proceed with a prosecution in the first place -

(7) No proceedings for an offence under this section against a child under the age of 17 years shall be brought except by, or with the consent of, the Director of Public Prosecutions.

(8) Where, in proceedings for an offence under this section against a child who at the time of the alleged commission of the offence had attained the age of 15 years but was under the age of 17 years, it shall be a defence that the child consented to the sexual act of which the offence consisted where the defendant—

(a) is younger or less than 2 years older than the child,

(b) was not, at the time of the alleged commission of the offence, a person in authority in respect of the child, and

(c) was not, at the time of the alleged commission of the offence, in a relationship with the child that was intimidatory or exploitative of the child.”

Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017

(b) was not, at the time of the alleged commission of the offence, a person in authority in respect of the child, and

This point is critical here. All the other stuff is irrelevant.

There is no such thing in Irish law as a minimum age for engaging in sexual activity.

That's actually a copy paste from the Oireachtas report. I ignored your previous post on the grounds that I was giving you an opportunity to delete it and save yourself some embarrassment.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Unsure if the whatsapp pic of her are real, think they are, what a stunner, wonder why she went for a kid

This is common in the US. For some reason most of these women are stunners :

https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/teacher-sex-offender-allegations-female-photos/amp/

Something deeply biological going on here.

30% of all teacher sex crimes are female on male. Considering people take it less seriously than male on female the actual number is likely higher.

That's actually a copy paste from the Oireachtas report. I ignored your previous post on the grounds that I was giving you an opportunity to delete it and save yourself some embarrassment.

I’ve ignored your numerous misleading and mistaken opinions regarding Irish law that you’ve posted throughout this thread that you’re not even embarrassed to post, so rest assured you need have no concern for anyone else’s embarrassment but you own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I think the sentence is fair (leaning towards harsh) and yeah, a male teacher may have got a longer sentence, on average (not to mention be judged far harsher by society, AJ anyone) but the most irritating aspects of this case for me are the exaggerated claims regarding how this has all affected the then 15/16-year-old. Don't believe a word of it. They're clearly angling for some litigation and in doing so showed they had no qualms about the woman's sentence being determined based on factors which are a load of tosh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I think the sentence is fair (leaning towards harsh) and yeah, a male teacher may have got a longer sentence, on average (not to mention be judged far harsher by society, AJ anyone) but the most irritating aspects of this case for me are the exaggerated claims regarding how this has all affected the then 15/16-year-old. Don't believe a word of it. They're clearly angling for some litigation and in doing so showed they had no qualms about the woman's sentence being determined based on factors which are a load of tosh.

Jaysis. Wasn't too long ago where an accusation was enough for people to believe the victim. Now when it's proven, there is still doubt. #ibelievehim

I’ve ignored your numerous misleading and mistaken opinions regarding Irish law that you’ve posted throughout this thread that you’re not even embarrassed to post, so rest assured you need have no concern for anyone else’s embarrassment but you own.

Remember to write to the Oireachtas to explain to them that you are more proficient in Irish law than they.

The law is, and has always been, that 17 is the age that someone can legally have sex in this country. Apparently two years ago an amendment was brought in that raises it to 18 in the event that one party is in a position of authority over the other person. A reasonable enough change, and one I didn't know about.

You've said that this has been the law since 2006. This is false. You've said that there is no such thing in Irish law as a minimum age for engaging in sexual activity. This is false. You've sort of vaguely claimed that there's a younger age of consent than 17 if the offenders are both of a similar age, which would, of course, be false. You've also said that the thread title is wrong. I don't actually have much opinion of this, but technically that's false too. That's the sum and total of your contribution to this thread.

I don't mean to be mean, but if you are going to be belligerent you should try not being dense.

I don't necessarily agree. This could really screw up a sensitive 16 year old guy.

The minimum age for engaging in sexual activity has, however, been set lower [than adulthood], at 17 years. Lower still, at 16 years, is the age for consenting to medical procedures , leaving school , and the age at which one ceases to be a child for the purposes of employment legislation. The age of criminal responsibility is 12, although it is lower again, at 10 years, in the case of certain offences, including certain sexual offences. It is not entirely clear whether there is a coherent notion of maturity or development which justifies the fixing of these different age brackets. What is clear, however, is that Irish law takes a progressive or gradual approach to the issue of maturity and adulthood. This makes intuitive sense. Rather than seeing the coming of adulthood as a magical process that occurs overnight, the law sees it as developing incrementally. That said, the existence of these different age limits could be a source of practical difficulty.

At 16 the law would be consistent throughout the island of Ireland, which is a positive. Second it would make the 16 threshold, used for many different rights, apply also to consent.

Thanks for that exhaustive post.

What you are saying still doesn't make any sense, talking about criminal responsibility in relation to a minor being involved in sexual activity with an adult doesn't make any sense.

What happened in this particular case was legally and moraly wrong. In no way is what happened excusable. The arguments about the gender of the offender are secondary to the offence itself.

If you feel teenagers should be jumping into bed with adults that's your opinion, it is wrong end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What you are saying still doesn't make any sense, talking about criminal responsibility in relation to a minor being involved in sexual activity with an adult doesn't make any sense.

What happened in this particular case was legally and moraly wrong. In no way is what happened excusable. The arguments about the gender of the offender are secondary to the offence itself.

If you feel teenagers should be jumping into bed with adults that's your opinion, it is wrong end of story.

These are two different things of course. I think everyone here will agree that what the teacher did was morally wrong and she should have been fired on the spot and banned from teaching again (which she was).

Most of the debate here is about the legal side of it and how appropriate it is for the courts to be involved and handing out prison sentences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

An eighteen or nineteen year old is both a teenager and an adult.

One should be more careful with terminology, or your point is lost.

Strazdas wrote: »
    These are two different things of course. I think everyone here will agree that what the teacher did was morally wrong and she should have been fired on the spot and banned from teaching again (which she was).

Most of the debate here is about the legal side of it and how appropriate it is for the courts to be involved and handing out prison sentences etc.

Are you suggesting that it isn't appropriate for the courts to hand out sentences to adults who engage in sexual contact with minors?

Allinall wrote: »
    An eighteen or nineteen year old is both a teenager and an adult.

One should be more careful with terminology, or your point is lost.

You're just being obtuse and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Are you suggesting that it isn't appropriate for the courts to hand out sentences to adults who engage in sexual contact with minors?

As has been pointed out, had this incident happened in most countries in Europe, it wouldn't even have resulted in a court case.

Personally I think the age of consent is a year too high in Ireland. It will continue to lead to these type of messy court cases in future.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    As has been pointed out, had this incident happened in most countries in Europe, it wouldn't even have resulted in a court case.

Personally I think the age of consent is a year too high in Ireland. It will continue to lead to these type of messy court cases in future.

OK, so a teacher having sex with a boy on his sixteenth birthday is OK then?

Advertisement