Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

ongarboy wrote: »
    I thought you couldn't reserve emergency exit rows as the check in staff needed to confirm you were sufficiently able bodied to be able to open the emergency exits? Is that not the case with Ryanair?

No. I was in an emergency row last time I flew Ryanair. I was alongside a member of crew (beside door) and an elderly lady who imo wasnt able bodied enough to.open the door.
    However I also flew with EI recently enough and they insisted that an older lady in an emergency row would have to sit elsewhere as they didn't feel she was able-bodied enough. She was not one bit happy about it and her family made a huge fuss about Ei taking her money for the seat selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

I think there was a similar case where they refused to refund on seat reservations.
    There's lots of examples where they refuse to make refunds until they are pushed and threatened with the small claims court. Even then of course, the sums are generally so small it's not really worth it, except as a point of principle.

How hard would it be to have a book of vouchers on board to handout to pax inconvenienced like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Hi guys i am flying to tenerife on the 17th of december,i was looking reserved seats but the cheapest is 7 euro each way,WTF.If we all check in at the same time(4 of us)will we get seats beside each other if we check in 48 hours before the flight?Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

You will be 'randomly' assigned seats away from each other. If you want seats together you will have to pay.

If you really don't want to pay wait until near the check-in close time as they assign all the middle seats first. It's still very unlikely to impossible that you'll get seats together however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

€7 sounds expensive. I just booked Faro yesterday and got seats for €3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Why don't you pair off, so only 2 of you have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Check different seats. The ones near the back, but not the last 3 or 4 rows, are generally the cheapest.

If these are all reserved then you will either have to pay or sit separately on the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Wouldnt mind 3 euro but 7 euro is the cheapest,not paying that

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Here's a sneaky one. Paid for two Ryanair seats on an outbound flight...."Take this seat for four euro"
    Total came up: 12 euro.
    Figured it was something I'd done wrong, so I paid it
    Just bought the return seats, same story, two at 4 euro each. This time, total showed 14 euro.
    Web chat guy made various excuses, but in the end had no explanation, so sent me the complaints link.
    Sneaky trick, no surprise there, but does anyone know if it's legal to offer a selling price then hike it up after the sale?

• tony glenn wrote: »
    Here's a sneaky one. Paid for two Ryanair seats on an outbound flight...."Take this seat for four euro"
    Just bought the return seats, same story, two at 4 euro each. This time, total showed 14 euro.
    Web chat guy made various excuses, but in the end had no explanation, so sent me the complaints link.
    Sneaky trick, no surprise there, but does anyone know if it's legal to offer a selling price then hike it up after the sale?

If I remember rightly Ryanair were taken to task for similar type of practice years ago, when it was a huge ordeal to get to the final price and you were taken down every avenue to get you to pay optional extras. I managed to get “free” seats on Ryanair earlier in the year, but was almost brought down the pay-for-your-seat route. I mostly travel solo so couldn’t care less where I’m put sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Or don’t pay , get on last and seat at an free exit seat because most few people will stump up for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You sure you are not picking seats at a different pricing point? Every 4 or 5 rows pricing is different.

You sure you are not picking seats at a different pricing point? Every 4 or 5 rows pricing is different.

Definitely 4 euro seats....my point is that on the seating plan, it says "Take this seat for four euro"
    so that's what I should pay.
    If it was a clothing shop site that said "buy this shirt for ten euro" then there's no way that the total would then show twelve euro. So how does Ryanair get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

Could just be a bug of some sort; I always pay to choose seats with Ryanair and I've never been charged more than the amount shown for the seats I selected.

dennyk wrote: »
    Could just be a bug of some sort; I always pay to choose seats with Ryanair and I've never been charged more than the amount shown for the seats I selected.
    Good point, the webchat guy mentioned it might be a bug, but I thought he was making excuses.
    I'll try and get a further response from my email. Thanks.

I've just flown with them and didn't see 'Take this seat for €4'.

You sure it wasn't 'from'?

There are exit seats and front rows which are a different colour but the blue ones from €4 are not all €4.

h0vZxtI.jpg

vd9nJoo.jpg

bnZHUPS.jpg

I didn't pay as my flight was only 40 minutes. They 'randomly' allocated myself and my brother one row and one seat apart in their €9 seats. Probably hoping we'd pay to move one of us and it would still be more than 2 x €4 seats.

Flew with Aer Lingus on the other leg of my trip and when you check in within 2 days (I think), to avoid paying for a seat, you can select them yourself and sit together for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Wheety wrote: »
    I didn't pay as my flight was only 40 minutes. They 'randomly' allocated myself and my brother one row and one seat apart in their €9 seats. Probably hoping we'd pay to move one of us and it would still be more than 2 x €4 seats.

Flew with Aer Lingus on the other leg of my trip and when you check in within 2 days (I think), to avoid paying for a seat, you can select them yourself and sit together for free.

Aer Lingus you can check in within 30 hours and choose seat free.

Ryanair you can check in within 24 hours and choose seat free.

3DataModem wrote: »
    Aer Lingus you can check in within 30 hours and choose seat free.

Can you? I thought it was free random allocation with Ryanair?

As far as I know, you can check-in within 48 hours of your flight and you get randomly allocated a seat if you don't pay for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

3DataModem wrote: »

Ryanair only gives you random selection unless you pay. And if you have two people on your booking it will deliberately seat you apart from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Effects wrote: »
    Ryanair only gives you random selection unless you pay. And if you have two people on your booking it will deliberately seat you apart from each other.

Just posting to back this up. You can check people in at different times and you *might* get lucky and be beside each other but if you check people in at the same time they will be seated apart

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

tony glenn wrote: »

Sounds like a bug. Where are you flying to? Most of the bucket and spade destinations are minimum €7 for a seat.

Sounds like a bug. Where are you flying to? Most of the bucket and spade destinations are minimum €7 for a seat.

Flying to Malta. My complaint is simply that the seat prices clearly said 4 euro for each of two seats. So why should the total be more 12 euro, then 14 euro on the way back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

And they wonder why people wont use their site for hotels or cars.

They should be making a fortune, they should be doing to booking.com what they did to Aer Lingus, or BA.
    But as long MOL keeps annoying us with sneaky tricks, the hotel booking side of their site will never work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

there is a bug in there.

If you have played around with flights and seats a bit on the same browser beforehand then somehow the cookies play havoc with the seat prices when you go to book/ reserve seats.

The way round it is just to use a different browser than normal or use private mode.

I had that problem before with Ryanair when booking the kids (they should be free but werent as the seat pricing was all wonky), but that was a good 18 months ago so its lax of them to not have it fixed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Sorry for sort of hijacking a thread...flying with Ryanair next week and went in tonight to check in and book seats. I picked four €7 ones but for the some reason it won’t take payment... I have tried 3 different cards one which was on the app already , one other visa debit card and a credit card. No issues with the cards.
    Anyone know if it’s bug or what might be up... would rather the family sitting together. I definitely don’t want to wait and chance it 48 hours before flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

delete - old thread.

Advertisement