Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Just back from a family trip, we didn't pay extra but got great seats I had row 17 to myself both ways . there is a glitch in their software though as they assigned one of the wing emergency seats to one of
    my kids so they had to switch his seat with someone else.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

silverharp wrote: »
    Just back from a family trip, we didn't pay extra but got great seats I had row 17 to myself both ways . there is a glitch in their software though as they assigned one of the wing emergency seats to one of
    my kids so they had to switch his seat with someone else.

That's exactly what someone said on Joe Duffy to Michael o Leary, about his child having an exit seat and Michael o Leary told him he was definitely wrong because the system does not ever allow that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

How late can you book a seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

degsie wrote: »
    How late can you book a seat?

As late as the check-in is open - two hours before the departure IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Returned last night. Little bit of musical chairs but nothing extraordinary. We were in 18C and D. From what I could see the person in 17C moved up to 16C and then swopped with 16B to be beside person in 16A. Leaving 17c empty. The person in 16E moved into the free 16F, and the person in 17D moved up to the empty 16E, to be beside the passenger in 16 D. This now left 17C and 17 D empty- but - the people sitting in both 17B and 17 E were slow to recognise this. They could have moved out and left the middle seats empty, but didnt. After takeoff it took about 10 mins and those free aisle seats were filled by passengers from other rows.

All the swopping was by young people who I would guess checked in late by mobile, and got premium seats free.

Flight was fine , aircraft was filthy. I appreciate it was the last flight of the day, but the aircraft arrived from Dublin, could they not even have a cursory cleaning service between flights at Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

sillysocks wrote: »
    That's exactly what someone said on Joe Duffy to Michael o Leary, about his child having an exit seat and Michael o Leary told him he was definitely wrong because the system does not ever allow that!

Well he is talking through his hat. Got back from Portugal last week and they had allocated an exit seat to a 12 year old. They had to move - father was not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in my case I didnt mind, they put junior who is 12 two rows ahead of me which was cool. If you have young kids just pay the money and consider it part of the basic fee. Funny though if mick is out of the loop on the age glitch, they must be getting feedback on a daily basis from the crews

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Was on a flight to Malaga the other day and the game of musical chairs that took place right after take off was ridiculous. People should either stay put in their allocated seat or pay upfront for the seat they actually want. I hope Ryanair clamp down harder on people who want to change seats.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Was on a flight to Malaga the other day and the game of musical chairs that took place right after take off was ridiculous. People should either stay put in their allocated seat or pay upfront for the seat they actually want. I hope Ryanair clamp down harder on people who want to change seats.

Oh the only righteous one...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I have seats booked next month, not a hope am I moving for nobody (special circumstances aside), always get the window seat so im not getting up every few minutes to let someone go the toiled on a short haul flight, very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I hope Ryanair clamp down harder on people who want to change seats.

How did it affect you? Where you asked to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I hope Ryanair clamp down harder on people who want to change seats.

They won't. It would make things even more messy (possible confrontations with passengers) and I doubt their already very busy crew has time to turn into a seat number police unless a passengers complaints that a specific seat they paid for is already occupied and the other passenger doesn't want to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

on my recent flight all the transfers I witnessed were amicable. But disputes over who is sitting where is unfair to the cabin crew, who have enough to do without disgruntled passengers adding to their workload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

joeysoap wrote: »
    But disputes over who is sitting where is unfair to the cabin crew, who have enough to do without disgruntled passengers adding to their workload

Yes agreed they have better things to do, but on the other hand if a passenger has a seat assigned (paid or not) and that seat is already occupied by someone else who doesn't want to move, it is clearly Ryanair's staff responsibility to force the person occupying the seat to comply. I would feel sorry for the crew who have to force passengers to move, but as a customer who paid for a ticket with an assigned seat I would have no problem asking them to do it, as it is their employer's problem to have reasonable policies which allow their staff to deliver the service I paid for.

Yes. But less extra cash to be made ... and I wonder if a reason for the change was also due to safety implications related to letting passengers sit anywhere they like?

Bob24 wrote: »
    and I wonder if a reason for the change was also due to safety implications related to letting passengers sit anywhere they like?

What would be the safety implications, out of curiousity?

What would be the safety implications, out of curiousity?

Balancing the weight of passagers across the cabin. I've heard a few times algorithms do that but to be honest I have no idea whether it would be a serious problem for passenger weight not to be evenly distributed (and to be fair the crew could also easily spot if a flight is not full and all passengers are sitting in the same area)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭newspower

I flew with Ryanair twice last week and didnt pay the extra for seats together. On the Flite out there was a woman with two young kids behind me who had paid for seats and her partner, who had not, arrived from the other end of the plane and aggressively asked a young guy to move so he could be beside his kids. The guy moved where I would have said no if he asked me like that. On the way back the plane was full of people juggling seats to be beside companions which has to be causing small delays. That plane was thirty mins late taking off. This is a stupid way of earning extra revenue for Ryanair and is bound to create more issues for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

How did it affect you? Where you asked to change?

I wasn't asked to change but the other two seats in my row, as well as the ones right behind and in front of me saw a constant change of passengers for at least the first thirty minutes into the flight which was very annoying.
    I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get asked to move though as I've been lucky so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

I think think this discussion is done to death. RYR are pulling a fast one, but RYR ALWAYS pulls fast ones, but hey, their flights are cheap.

So....

423634.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

It will take some small sad fire on some flight, The plane will set down somewhere, but all will die.

Headlines = small fire in galley kills 200 passengers. Passengers had plenty of time to get to an exit, but spent that time searching for family members. This blocked other passengers from making it to exits. 200 dead MOL say's "not his fault"

I hope it's Sharon Ní Bheoláin on the 6-1 that night and not Dobbo ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Stay in your assigned seat.

Exactly. Last few times I've travelled it's been on stags. Didn't bother me not sitting beside the stag etc. We were all pretty spread out, but it's only been 2-4 hour flights so I've read or listened to music. If someone asked me to move (they haven't yet) I'd refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Last time I flew, someone asked me (nicely) to change.
    I had payed for my seat and I only accepted because 1-his seat was of the same type (not a middle seat) 2-his one was rows up in the "premiums" so would have been more expensive then mine.
    Otherwise I would have stayed put and intend to keep doing so whenever I pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Time for seat paying passengers to get tough with the scrooges.

No means no. If enough people refuse to move, the scrooges will eventually pay €2 or whatever instead of causing dramas on the tarmac.

I never thought Irish people were such skinflints. There is a country not too far away from us that is English speaking and they are famous for saving 20p when they can.

Come on folks, just pay the money.

I would absolutely refuse to move my seat having paid for it. And I really don't care if the person asking me really hates me anymore. It is not my problem to solve this is it?

Stick to your seats like glue, do not appease the skinflints. Enjoy your trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No means no. If enough people refuse to move, the scrooges will eventually pay €2 or whatever instead of causing dramas on the tarmac.

I never thought Irish people were such skinflints. There is a country not too far away from us that is English speaking and they are famous for saving 20p when they can.

I would absolutely refuse to move my seat having paid for it. And I really don't care if the person asking me really hates me anymore. It is not my problem to solve this is it?

Stick to your seats like glue, do not appease the skinflints. Enjoy your trip.

I've never paid for a seat. I'm happy enough with the seat lottery. And I'd never more for someone else. Only move I'd make would be if I was in the middle and there was a couple/friends either side and I got the window or aisle seat so they could sit beside each other. Wouldn't be trekking 6 rows back/forward.

• Advertisement

No. I am not going to be extorted.

I will not be offended if anyone refused to move when asked, but I am not going to pay the chancers either.

Advertisement