Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for picking up a dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Leaving the legal freeloader bottom feeders aside that see €€€ for every mistake made by regular people living day to day I'd be delighted to hand over a €50 handling fee to someone that fed, watered, bedded & saved my escaped dog from getting creamed by a car & causing damage to that car, risking livestock & causing a general nuisance (which one of my idiot dogs would have certainly caused).

You could have been met with a much bigger bill from the bottom feeders that the injured parties employed if the poor mutt had been left uninterrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chandlerbing2

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Leaving the legal freeloader bottom feeders aside that see €€€ for every mistake made by regular people living day to day I'd be delighted to hand over a €50 handling fee to someone that fed, watered, bedded & saved my escaped dog from getting creamed by a car & causing damage to that car, risking livestock & causing a general nuisance (which one of my idiot dogs would have certainly caused).

You could have been met with a much bigger bill from the bottom feeders that the injured parties employed if the poor mutt had been left uninterrupted.

Still gives the charity no right to charge you 50 euro. I admire what they do but this particular shelter demanding 50 euro is not right. If they said straight out to me you can’t take the dog home unless you give me 50 euro I’d call the cops. If they asked for a donation I’d give them 50 or a 100 euro, same as if anyone found my dog.

There’s a huge difference between asking for a donation and not releasing your dog until you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Danzy wrote: »
    The dog was out lose, it could easily have been picked up by the council warden and be facing an Injection a week later, hit by car or bitten someone.

They are lucky it isn't coming back in a bag, Some one had to catch it, mind it for a few hours, the op is sore that wasn't done for free.

As other posts said, the op is lucky there isn't a solicitors letter arrived, count their good fortune and prevent reoccurring, though that doesn't seem to have happened to date.

Whatever the right or wrong of the charity, the larger and much more significant fault lies with the owner and OP.

There is no doubt that this incident could have ended up very badly in many ways, not least for the poor dog.

The OP acknowledges this and hopefully will help his father to make the garden secure.

This is Legal Discussion and I was just trying to cast some light on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

OP dont be a c^nt, be happy someone got it safely and posted online.

seems re occurring issue, so either invest in training or fencing as while can understand frustration, charity or not 50quid is nothing.
    while im against stupid logic that runaway dog will look to bite someone as some think of extremes, but hit by a car or picked up by someone is massive possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

From reading the other side of the story on facebook, the rescue owner asked for 50 and got paid the 50 by another family member. Adam demanded it back and the rescue owner refused. I cant find the post now but I think that was the rescue workers side of the story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Still gives the charity no right to charge you 50 euro. I admire what they do but this particular shelter demanding 50 euro is not right. If they said straight out to me you can’t take the dog home unless you give me 50 euro I’d call the cops. If they asked for a donation I’d give them 50 or a 100 euro, same as if anyone found my dog.

There’s a huge difference between asking for a donation and not releasing your dog until you pay.

Avoid semantics, red tape and bureaucracy.

Be thankful the dogs alive, don't get wrapped up in rights, wrongs & confusion.

Don't involve the stretched Gardai in a silly civil matter that could have been a big legal problem if it weren't for the rescue centre that took the dog in.

Pay the paltry €50 that probably doesn't cover the costs of the rescue (insurance, tax, petrol, tyres, food, bedding, crate, lighting, heat, phone bill ect...) and carry on living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

bertsmom wrote: »
    Op your attitude is just horrible. Would you ever cop on and show some gratitude that your relatives dog was taken care of.
    Saying you've spoken to them about the dog repeatedly getting out means sweet fcuk all.
    Frankly it sounds like the dog would be far better off being rehomed with someone to look after them properly. They deserve better.
    Do you think the people who assisted your dog bringing to get scanned, feeding, providing comfort etc should rely on the already failing careless owners making a donation of their own discretion? I wouldn't hold out much hope if you begrudge fifty euro to a rescue.

I’d gladly donate it but being charged it was another issue completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Clearly it was extortion. The guy could be running a scam. Go to the Garda they can check if there is any paperwork of fee paid and all is above board.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Avoid semantics, red tape and bureaucracy.

Be thankful the dogs alive, don't get wrapped up in rights, wrongs & confusion.

Don't involve the stretched Gardai in a silly civil matter that could have been a big legal problem if it weren't for the rescue centre that took the dog in.

Pay the paltry €50 that probably doesn't cover the costs of the rescue (insurance, tax, petrol, tyres, food, bedding, crate, lighting, heat, phone bill ect...) and carry on living.

Nope, it’s not a civil matter. Someone has my dog and there not giving it back. There trying to extortion me for money.

Answer this question, if I found your dog and asked for say 150 euro or your not getting it back. Would you give me the 150 euro and walk away without reporting it to the guards?

Ah sure that’s only a civil matter like your saying, no it’s not

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

adam88 wrote:
    I’d gladly donate it but being charged it was another issue completely.

Well if you would gladly donate it isn't the end result the same so what's the issue really...

• Advertisement

bertsmom wrote: »
    Well if you would gladly donate it isn't the end result the same so what's the issue really...

Nope it’s not the same thing, someone thieving my dog unless I give them 50 euro to give it back or optionally paying a donation are two completely different things

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

From reading the other side of the story on facebook, the rescue owner asked for 50 and got paid the 50 by another family member. Adam demanded it back and the rescue owner refused. I cant find the post now but I think that was the rescue workers side of the story

Link or it never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Too many posters are unaware they are in the legal forum and not the pets and animals forum.

The OP knows the dog shouldn't have been out.. Get over that and address the question asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

cocaliquid wrote: »
    Clearly it was extortion. The guy could be running a scam. Go to the Garda they can check if there is any paperwork of fee paid and all is above board.

Clearly...

GreeBo wrote: »
    Too many posters are unaware they are in the legal forum and not the pets and animals forum.

The OP knows the dog shouldn't have been out.. Get over that and address the question asked!

Yeah but as pet owners we all know the buck stops with the owner. OP should have learned a lesson today. Feck the legal implications, take care of the bloody dog instead.

Yeah but as pet owners we all know the buck stops with the owner. OP should have learned a lesson today. Feck the legal implications, take care of the bloody dog instead.

Your in the legal forum, op knows the problem with the dog getting out and is getting the issue sorted.

Now onto the legal bit where the person was extorted for money.

What would you do if the this “charity” asked for 5000 euro to get your dog back?

Your in the legal forum, op knows the problem with the dog getting out and is getting the issue sorted.

What would you do if the this “charity” asked for 5000 euro to get your dog back?

That language or use of words isn’t really helpful tbh.

The thing about this is people have to realize that dogs aren’t your “property” which is unfortunately exactly how the law and Gardaí treat it. They’re living creatures and if this dog continuously gets out and runs away well SHAME on the owner. Absolute SHAME on him. He didn’t bother his arse rectify the situation and now he’s being taught a lesson. €50 to a charity is the least he can do for a CHARITY!! Instead he comes on here moaning he was CHARGED €50 to get his dog back. Well boo hoo. He should have told his dad to mind his fog and lose this entitlement mentality. Oh boo hoo he was “charged” €50.. be glad he has his dog back.

I’ll tell you this. If my dog went missing in the morning money wouldn’t cross my mind.

I think it’s disgusting personally.

The thing about this is people have to realize that dogs aren’t your “property” which is unfortunately exactly how the law and Gardaí treat it. They’re living creatures and if this dog continuously gets out and runs away well SHAME on the owner. Absolute SHAME on him. He didn’t bother his arse rectify the situation and now he’s being taught a lesson. €50 to a charity is the least he can do for a CHARITY!! Instead he comes on here moaning he was CHARGED €50 to get his dog back. Well boo hoo. He should have told his dad to mind his fog and lose this entitlement mentality. Oh boo hoo he was “charged” €50.. be glad he has his dog back.

I’ll tell you this. If my dog went missing in the morning money wouldn’t cross my mind.

I think it’s disgusting personally.

I think extortion is disgusting. Holding onto someone’s dog until they pay is disgusting

I think extortion is disgusting. Holding onto someone’s dog until they pay is disgusting

Oh really? And what would happen if the dog got out and got knocked down and messed someone’s car up? How much would that cost the OP? These people did him a huge favour in taking the dog in. A lot of times these dogs end up in scumbags hands and are used as bait or worse.

It’s not like the person who took the dog in asked for an extortionate amount of cash. €50 seems fair for rescuing a dog and minding it for a day and night... and as a person who runs a charity for dogs I’ll bet he’s sick to the back of his sack minding careless owners dogs.

Posting on a public forum moaning about a measley €50 for rescuing a dog is embarrassing. Does he give a **** about the dog or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

seems place found the dog took it in, placed picture online, while owner didnt give a fck to be fair.
    if it takes 50quid to drill a hole in the head one is responsible for the dog, so be it.

Oh really? And what would happen if the dog got out and got knocked down and messed someone’s car up? How much would that cost the OP? These people did him a huge favour in taking the dog in. A lot of times these dogs end up in scumbags hands and are used as bait or worse.

It’s not like the person who took the dog in asked for an extortionate amount of cash. €50 seems fair for rescuing a dog and minding it for a day and night... and as a person who runs a charity for dogs I’ll bet he’s sick to the back of his sack minding careless owners dogs.

Posting on a public forum moaning about a measley €50 for rescuing a dog is embarrassing. Does he give a **** about the dog or not.

Ah sure extortion is grand, let’s turn a blind eye to it.

If I took your phone off a table and demanded 50 euro for you to have it back would you be happy?

Ah sure extortion is grand, let’s turn a blind eye to it.

If I took your phone off a table and demanded 50 euro for you to have it back would you be happy?

Do you have to feed my phone for 24 hours? Do you have to rescue it, feed it, water it, walk it, care/comfort it. Comparing a phone to a dog is the most retarded thing I’ve read on boards for a long long time.

Do you have to feed my phone for 24 hours? Do you have to rescue it, feed it, water it, walk it, care/comfort it. Comparing a phone to a dog is the most retarded thing I’ve read on boards for a long long time.

I think that individual might be trolling. I wouldn’t really entertain it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What's disgusting about it?
    The only thing I see as disgusting is the OPs attitude to the situation.
    The charity has costs and the fee is easily avoidable.

Round some parts the dog would have been shot first and questions asked later were the dog in the wrong place.

This thread is exactly why I’m terrified of some day being just judged by 12 of my peers.

Too many people put emotion ahead of facts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This thread is exactly why I’m terrified of some day being just judged by 12 of my peers.

Too many people put emotion ahead of facts

Facts such as private businesses can charge for their service? Or facts like comparing cutting grass to boarding/caring for a stray dog? You should hope that if you are judged by your perers, that they are able to call on their common sense rather than strict interpretation of the law.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Facts such as private businesses can charge for their service? Or facts like comparing cutting grass to boarding/caring for a stray dog? You should hope that if you are judged by your perers, that they are able to call on their common sense rather than strict interpretation of the law.

Extortion is not a service
    Kidnappers also feed and house their victims.

Actually I’d much rather they used the law than their own common sense. I obey the law, that’s kinda what it’s for

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Actually I’d much rather they used the law than their own common sense. I obey the law, that’s kinda what it’s for

Next time the finder should shoot the dog on sight. Would save everyone some hassle.
    I don't see any law being broken here apart from on the owners side.
    If the OP doesn't pay the fee they don't receive the service of their un cared for dog being looked after. Simple as.

Mod
    Dog may only be shot on sight if attacking livestock or humans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are getting a bit emotional there, calm down.

Charging for a service provided is not extortion, any more than a dog warden reclaim charge is extortion The dog was loose and handed in to a shelter who boarded and cared for it, overnight. Why should his service be free? You might argue that the owner did not enter a contract with the rescue service, but as I think it was Seamus said in an earlier post, a judge may see this as a reasonable charge for the care of a dog which has strayed and which may pose a danger to itself and others.

Advertisement