Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for picking up a dog

Options
  • 31-10-2019 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Mods- not sure if this is the right forum. Feel free to move.

Basically, my father has a dog, the dog keeps getting out and we accept full responsibility for this. Yesterday the dog went missing and a local rang a local dog charity to pick up the dog, this morning they posted it on Facebook and we knew it was our dog. My father went over to collect the dog and the dog would not be released until a fee of 50 euros was handed over. The person who runs this charity said the dog did not have a chip despite we having proof it was chipped.

This charity is in no way connect to the county council and as far as they are concerned have no right to collect dogs and charge for the service. I rang this man and asked him to give the money back to my father and the abuse I received was uncalled for. When asked what would happen if he didn’t pay the money he said he’d have kept the dog. Surely this isn’t right, the guards say it’s a civil matter.

I’d be more than willing to pay a donation but when the local pound only charge 15 euros a night I think his charge of 50 euro is very wrong.

Any advice on how to approach this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Write the 50 quid off as a harsh lesson learned and tell your dad to secure his garden properly. There's absolutely no reason or excuse for the dog repeatedly escaping and you won't continue to be so lucky. If he gets hit by a car the next time you'll have a dead dog and a bill for the damage to the car on your hands instead of a measly fifty quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

adam88 wrote: »

Basically, my father has a dog, the dog keeps getting out and we accept full responsibility for this. Yesterday the dog went missing and a local rang a local dog charity to pick up the dog, this morning they posted it on Facebook and we knew it was our dog. My father went over to collect the dog and the dog would not be released until a fee of 50 euros was handed over. The person who runs this charity said the dog did not have a chip despite we having proof it was chipped.

This charity is in no way connect to the county council and as far as they are concerned have no right to collect dogs and charge for the service. I rang this man and asked him to give the money back to my father and the abuse I received was uncalled for. When asked what would happen if he didn’t pay the money he said he’d have kept the dog. Surely this isn’t right, the guards say it’s a civil matter.

I’d be more than willing to pay a donation but when the local pound only charge 15 euros a night I think his charge of 50 euro is very wrong.

It’s a pity the money was handed over as it probably turns it into a civil matter now.
    Surely if he refused to pay and the dog wasn’t returned you could have then rang guards and said you dog was stolen.
    What’s stopping this so called charity going around picking up dogs. Are they a registered charity?
    Sounds like a scam to be honest.

Mod
    That would be making a false report thus wasting AGS time.
    Please stay off this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Some rescues work closely with the dog pounds & some are even registered as pounds.

The law is very clear. If one finds a stray dog with no identification tag, all the finder has to do is notify the Guards or the dog warden.

They can then keep the dog unless someone can prove ownership.

You would be paying a lot more if the dog had, for example, caused a road traffic accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This is nuts. This was your dads dog (property) and they had no right to demand a payment for return of the dog. So if I see an escaped dog running down the road, I can bring it home and demand a fee before giving it back? Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This is nuts. This was your dads dog (property) and they had no right to demand a payment for return of the dog. So if I see an escaped dog running down the road, I can bring it home and demand a fee before giving it back? Don't think so.

Or, you could just leave it to die, bite someone or cause an accident. This is an avoidable cost.

Many Charities rely on fundraising to survive, I see no issue with charging for the collection/safe keeping of a pet if the owner can’t be arsed to look after it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

OP

You aren't seeing the bigger picture here. If the dog was to bite and injure or even worse a child or adult €50 would be the least of your worries. My advise is get the garden securely fenced

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dav010 wrote: »
    Or, you could just leave it to die, bite someone or cause an accident. This is an avoidable cost.

Many Charities rely on fundraising to survive, I see no issue with charging for the collection/safe keeping of a pet if the owner can’t be arsed to look after it.

On what basis? the dog did not belong to them. The dogs owner can prove they own the dog via its chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

If this was a charitable organisation, wouldn't the most appropriate thing be to ask for a donation from the owner when re-united with their dog, not charge an actual fee?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pizzle wrote: »
    If this was a charitable organisation, wouldn't the most appropriate thing be to ask for a donation from the owner when re-united with their dog, not charge an actual fee?

I suppose not everyone gets the hint if you say 'donation'.

spurious wrote: »
    I suppose not everyone gets the hint if you say 'donation'.

Absolutely, I'm sure some people wouldn't bother paying. But if you don't release the dog unless a fee is paid, it surely becomes more business than charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Is that not extortion?

Sounds very like...
    "Give me money and you will get your property back"

Dammer wrote: »
    Is that not extortion?

Sounds very like...
    "Give me money and you will get your property back"

Sounds like that to me too. What would happen if they charged €500 to release?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

OP you're lucky you got the dog back.
    I'm not in favour of charities like this doing the wardens work for them.

I suggest you read up on your responsibilities as a dog owner. Including the bit where you can be fined up to 2 grand for not having them under control not to talk about what could happen to your poor pooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No matter how good their intentions a charity has no right to deprive you of your property ie. the dog and demand a fee for return of same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

elperello wrote: »
    No matter how good their intentions a charity has no right to deprive you of your property ie. the dog and demand a fee for return of same.

Maybe so, but the charity was not obliged to take the dog in.

There could have been a very much more serious thread about this situation.

Move on everyone and thank your lucky stars OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Dog keeps getting out?

In what way do you "accept full responsibility" ?

I really think that is missing the point though. In this case it certainly sounds like the dog needs to be secured properly an adequate fencing needs to be installed. But surely they cannot voluntarily take in your dog and then hold it until a fee is paid.

Edit - my post was reply to post 16. Owner definitely needs to address securing the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP

You aren't seeing the bigger picture here. If the dog was to bite and injure or even worse a child or adult €50 would be the least of your worries. My advise is get the garden securely fenced

Probably wouldn’t matter because according to the charity the chipped dog wasn’t chipped so nobody would know who the owner is!

Not normally one to defend animal owners, but have to say this sounds like a proper scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maybe so, but the charity was not obliged to take the dog in.

There could have been a very much more serious thread about this situation.

Move on everyone and thank your lucky stars OP

Correct, the charity was not obliged but did. They could have directed the finder to the statutory authority but chose not to.

It is true that the incident could have ended more seriously.

The OP is looking for information and clarification.

On what basis? the dog did not belong to them. The dogs owner can prove they own the dog via its chip.

Can the Charity place a value on the cost of overnight boarding and caring for the animal until claimed? If this charge was placed on the member of the public who was considerate enough to hand it in, who would? Surely the owner who is at fault should be liable for this cost. I don’t own a dog, but I suspect dog wardens charge a re-claim fee as well and isn’t there a fine for stray dogs?

If you abandon a car and it gets towed, I’m sure there is a charge to release it.

• Advertisement

You can take the dog provided you notify the Dog Warden or the Guards. I ended up with both of my previous dogs this way in that I found strays with no ID tags or microchips. One was a Greyhound in dreadful condition. I knew that the owners wouldn't go to the guards to report her loss.

The OP says the dog is chipped but that the rescue couldn't find it - no offence but I know who I believe. Owners who allow their dogs to stray or repeatly escape avoid microchips incase the dog causes an accident.

If you allow your dog to stray it may well be taken by the Dog Warden. You will have to pay & produce a valid dog license, to get it back.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Probably wouldn’t matter because according to the charity the chipped dog wasn’t chipped so nobody would know who the owner is!

Not normally one to defend animal owners, but have to say this sounds like a proper scam.

Some scam. Give your time for free rescuing & rehoming dogs for ungrateful owners.

If my dog ended up in the same situation I would be so grateful to the rescue. I would happily give them a lot more than €50. Obviously some people don't value their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Okay. I’ve read through all the comments.

Firstly chip , one person there told us they scanned it and couldn’t find the chip and second person I spoke to said the batteries were dead in the scanner, we went to the vets that chipped the dog and got the numbers and once presented with this info they didn’t press the matter any further,

I 100 percent agree the dog should be fully fenced and and I’ve spoken to the relative that owns the dog about this.

When asked what would happen had the 50 euro not been paid I was told the dog would not be released. I’d have personally thanked the individual and have gladly paid a donation for the services offered but not a charge....... the local pound was rang and they charge 15 euros a nite up to 7 nights then dog is attempted to be rehomed or ............

As per pound, only they or their agents have the power to charge such a fee. This charity is not an agent and as far as I’m aware does not have any authority to charge a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Discodog wrote: »
    You can take the dog provided you notify the Dog Warden or the Guards. I ended up with both of my previous dogs this way in that I found strays with no ID tags or microchips. One was a Greyhound in dreadful condition. I knew that the owners wouldn't go to the guards to report her loss.

The OP says the dog is chipped but that the rescue couldn't find it - no offence but I know who I believe. Owners who allow their dogs to stray or repeatly escape avoid microchips incase the dog causes an accident.

If you allow your dog to stray it may well be taken by the Dog Warden. You will have to pay & produce a valid dog license, to get it back.

Dog is chipped, dog has licence

Firstly chip , one person there told us they scanned it and couldn’t find the chip and second person I spoke to said the batteries were dead in the scanner, we went to the vets that chipped the dog and got the numbers and once presented with this info they didn’t press the matter any further,

I 100 percent agree the dog should be fully fenced and and I’ve spoken to the relative that owns the dog about this.

When asked what would happen had the 50 euro not been paid I was told the dog would not be released. I’d have personally thanked the individual and have gladly paid a donation for the services offered but not a charge....... the local pound was rang and they charge 15 euros a nite up to 7 nights then dog is attempted to be rehomed or ............

As per pound, only they or their agents have the power to charge such a fee. This charity is not an agent and as far as I’m aware does not have any authority to charge a fee.

If the dog is chipped you can easily confirm this online. You also have a microchip certificate. Do you think that they should hand the dog over to anyone without proof ?

What authority does a private business need to charge for their services and facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Your dad should secure the garden better if the dog repeatedly gets out. Careless dog owners are a disgrace. The 50 euro is a lesson for him.

How pedantic :rolleyes:
    They rescued your dog & looked after it.

Maybe next time the warden will seize it & fine you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I wonder if the dog was fed and given water while it was rescued... and a member of staff ( public) had to see to the dog .

My opinion is 50 quid is a bit of a knock alright , if you park on yellow lines it's about 40 quid ... I know I'd rather pay the 50 to get my dog that was rescued... like a few have said without this service the dog would have been left to wonder and a good chance of being killed .

• Advertisement

I wonder if the dog was fed and given water while it was rescued... and a member of staff ( public) had to see to the dog .

My opinion is 50 quid is a bit of a knock alright , if you park on yellow lines it's about 40 quid ... I know I'd rather pay the 50 to get my dog that was rescued... like a few have said without this service the dog would have been left to wonder and a good chance of being killed .

The OP implies that it was there overnight. So probably more than one feed, exercise, cage cleaned out etc.

If someone can't willingly pay €50, to a charity who rescues their dog, they shouldn't have a dog.

Advertisement