Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher - Netflix **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah a lot of times in the books problems are solved bloodlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1151125243487850497

This seems funny .. though I don't know the witcher universe..
    https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1151170819227209729

So without knowing the the witcher universe, Cavill looks a bit like a Targaryen from Game of Thrones.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Trailer just released at Comic con :

Looks like a fair bit of money pumped into this. Cavill looks good as a younger Geralt than the games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I like the look of it, as I said in the Netflix thread it feels different enough to separate it from the inevitable GoT comparisons. Know nothing of the source material - what do fans of the books / games think?

With the recent news about lower subscriber uptakes, this will want to do well; I could see Netflix becoming suddenly even more Draconian with their output

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks like a maybe. It's got effect and world building and Cavill sooo

does it have story..

Main Writer seems to be Lauren Schmidt:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1274355/

experience with:
    • The Umbrella Academy
    • The Defenders
    • Daredevil
    • The West Wing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    what do fans of the books / games think?
    There's a large chunk of game fans almost foaming at the mouth in fury because he's not like the games, despite this being based on the books.. Hopefully they give it a chance.

The issue of falling numbers.. Well it had to peak eventually. This isn't something that can keep growing.

I always thought that going down the book route purely will not work
    it needs to be a mix of the game and book as it can be too reliant on classic fairy tales in the books whereas the game was more serious and created its own (better) mythology

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

not sure why they cast actresses that looked quite different form thir game versions for Triss and Yennefer but the action looks good. Hopefully they don't introducce the concept of black and white skin colour racism because that was not in the books/games. Don't think it has the depth of characters to be a new Game of Thrones but excited to see how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Having not read the books and going entirely on the game, I like the look of it. It seems dark and serious enough for the Witcher World, and i'm interested in this 'No bad guy' angle, as literally every other show I've seen has a big build up to the main bad battle. Plus the comment that characters you like/dislike at the start could have massively changed by the end.

I'll echo Sudden Valley, really don't know why they changed Triss and Yennifer. Yennifer I can forgive, because i'm #TeamTriss and she's not woefully different (just darker skinned than the game Yen), but Triss is a massive change. In the game she's pale with fiery red hair. In this she's not (didn't even realise she was in the trailer tbh, someone else pointed it out). As a fellow ginger, and a member of #TeamTriss, it is disappointing, but hey! I'm not the person with the bank roll or writing abilities, so I'll go with it and see how it pans out.

Ciri seems to be fairly close to the books, maybe the hair isn't silver/white enough, but again she's young in this so who knows. I'm excited and the trailer has done more than enough justice for me, even Cavill doesn't look too bad! All about the story now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

From San Diego Comic Con..

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

triss was chestnut in the books iirc, not ginger. so i don't really care about the casting in relation to the game. she also didn't wear those necklines

i like that they're getting into yen's background/origin.
    i am not sure it looks kinda... gritty enough or something. it looks a little bit hollywoodish to me by comparison with the books. but i am excited about it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Found this from Comic Con, too...

Im sure netflix is pretty happy with the controversies surroinding this show. More hype for a netflix show then I've seen in a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Are "fans" still screaming outrage about this; I got the impression many shut their mouthes when the saw the trailer looked quite good (always helps)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Are "fans" still screaming outrage about this; I got the impression many shut their mouthes when the saw the trailer looked quite good (always helps)

They need to be reminded (told for the first time) that the game is the adaption, which was not overly faithful to the source material...

While there are fans out there who are probably screaming outrage, I'm sure there's plenty like myself who had preconceived notions of what characters would look like, and are disappointed. But, like me, are willing to give it a chance. As I said earlier, I'll miss the red hair of Triss as I was #TeamTriss, but that's about it. I'm still looking forward to this, and the trailer was good imo. It will take some adjustment to change though, as if anyone was like me they've played through all of the Witcher games, or at least the most recent one multiple times, so it's ingrained into our minds what these characters should look/act like.

While there are fans out there who are probably screaming outrage, I'm sure there's plenty like myself who had preconceived notions of what characters would look like, and are disappointed. But, like me, are willing to give it a chance. As I said earlier, I'll miss the red hair of Triss as I was #TeamTriss, but that's about it. I'm still looking forward to this, and the trailer was good imo. It will take some adjustment to change though, as if anyone was like me they've played through all of the Witcher games, or at least the most recent one multiple times, so it's ingrained into our minds what these characters should look/act like.

As a redhead it is something I have noticed, fairly recently.

Jimmy Olsen in BvS and Supergirl
    Iris West (and then having to use the alternate Wally) in the Flash TV
    Hawkgirl in Legends
    MJ (technically a new character) in Spiderman
    Black Widow got progressively lighter in hair colour as the series went on to full blonde.

Do I care? Not really but as a kid who was singled out and beaten in school, for being red headed (completely different colour now and love it but I was a real carrot top), I used to retreat into comic books which had red heads everywhere and not a "soulless" joke to be seen.
    So I can appreciate how having powerful characters can help kids of minorities but also appreciate that it would have hurt kid me to see all the gingers being replaced.

Probably harder to find red headed actors now if all their roles are being taken by non red heads. Ciri and Geralt at least look like their video game counterparts. 2 out of 4 aint bad

And but Cork_exile, we red-heads don't get to be upset about it. It's only hair colour after all!

Maybe like yourself I'm more attuned to seeing the red-heads and subconsciously creating a bond, that could be part of the reason I was #TeamTriss (more likely due to Yenn actually being a bit of a bitch). I've kept my ginger though, but instead of it being on my head I have a fine big bushy beard instead. And I've noticed all these changes too, but again, shur it's only hair colour, it's not like it's a feature you can't change that subjects the owner to years of constant bullying...

Anyhoo, I look forward to this adaptation of it.

• Advertisement

And but Cork_exile, we red-heads don't get to be upset about it. It's only hair colour after all!

Maybe like yourself I'm more attuned to seeing the red-heads and subconsciously creating a bond, that could be part of the reason I was #TeamTriss (more likely due to Yenn actually being a bit of a bitch). I've kept my ginger though, but instead of it being on my head I have a fine big bushy beard instead. And I've noticed all these changes too, but again, shur it's only hair colour, it's not like it's a feature you can't change that subjects the owner to years of constant bullying...

Anyhoo, I look forward to this adaptation of it.

Oh I've not dyed it, just gotten old :( and less vibrant looking (which I ironically miss)
    So, whereas now, I don't give a sh1t, 7-10 year old me would have.

I was unsure of this but the trailer is making me interested

• Registered Users Posts: 60,289 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix named December 17th as the drop date then deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Release date confirmed as December 20, via a new trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Actually like the look of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah. Still not sure about Cavill, but it looks okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That looks tasty, Cavill loves the material as well so I can see him doing it justice, if he wasn't handed a turkey of a script.

Something to watch over the Chrimbo anyway.

Will it be released all at once yeah?

Will it be released all at once yeah?

Presumably; most Netflix Originals tend to release in one go, those that don't tend to be shows from other studios, rebadged as Originals (eg, The Good Place, Star Trek Discovery).

• Advertisement
Advertisement