Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM won by convicted drug cheat

• 27-10-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Othmane_El_Goumri

Surprised this issue hasn’t been raised since he won, rather not see the likes of him winning our National marathon. He surely was an elite entry, can the organisers refuse him entry given his past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Very sad to see this - 2 years is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Othmane_El_Goumri

Surprised this issue hasn’t been raised since he won, rather not see the likes of him winning our National marathon. He surely was an elite entry, can the organisers refuse him entry given his past?

Of course they can refuse him, and they should have done so this year as well! Very disappointed by DCM to let someone like that run. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Jim Aughney said the race has a 'no cheat' policy but he hadn't realised before it was too late.

https://twitter.com/Cathal_Dennehy/status/1188422223536803840

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jim Aughney said the race has a 'no cheat' policy but he hadn't realised before it was too late.

What a joke. You would have thought a midmarket marathon like ours would be really careful about this kind is thing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/jim-aughney-disappointed-at-martin-fagans-no-show-328956.html

Jim is a bit of a hypocrite!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Of course they can refuse him, and they should have done so this year as well! Very disappointed by DCM to let someone like that run. :mad:

Was he invited and was he is expenses paid for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

ted1 wrote: »
    Was he invited and was he is expenses paid for ?

DCM don't pay appearance money or expenses. Jim Aughney is a reg at my parkrun, was chatting to him about it a few weeks ago. Athletes view Dublin as a stepping stone, a win at Dublin gets them paid invites to majors.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Embarrassing really. They should of refunded his flight, instead they have to hand him over the prize money.

Lazare wrote: »
    DCM don't pay appearance money or expenses. Jim Aughney is a reg at my parkrun, was chatting to him about it a few weeks ago. Athletes view Dublin as a stepping stone, a win at Dublin gets them paid invites to majors.

Not having a go at you C obviously, but if the man knew he should have said on your bike pal knowing the winners past. It’s poor form they knew supposedly two weeks out yet let this guy run & win convincingly. Not what the Dublin marathon is about nor what you like to see winning either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mod note:
    As this is currently on the front page of the site, I would urge any discussion be backed up from reputable news sources.

I'm not disputing any claims, and I personally know those posting here and do not doubt them, just doing my job as moderator. :)

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    Mod note:
    As this is currently on the front page of the site, I would urge any discussion be backed up from reputable news sources.

I'm mot disputing any claims, and I personally know those posting here and do not doubt them, just doing my job as moderator. :)

I’ll leave it there so, totally wrong this gentleman was allowed run today, organisers fcuked up big time. The excuses will come but to late now.

Mod note:

I'm mot disputing any claims, and I personally know those posting here and do not doubt them, just doing my job as moderator. :)

The DCM winner was just back from a 2 year ban for doping.Even he in his post race interviews doesn't dispute that
    Sayimg he is now clean.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1044835/six-moroccan-athletes-plus-ex-team-gb-abeyie-in-iaafs-latest-doping-sanction-list

Mod note:

He doesn't deny his ban or guilt.

https://twitter.com/Cathal_Dennehy/status/1188449565902561280

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm as disgusted as everyone else over this. The above was just to cover boards.ie

Yes, the organisers dropped the ball - totally.

And, btw, yet again, well done to all the runners today, I still couldn't run for a bus.... respect!

And, btw, yet again, well done to all the runners today, I still couldn't run for a bus.... respect!

This is what erks me most about the winner, he couldn’t give a rats ass about Joe or Josephine Soap who gave months and months of there lives to train for today. He’s gotten his money be it forever more in tainted circumstances and that’s all he cares about.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Such a shame as well because todays race was a fantastic spectacle and had so many great preformances from Irish athletes.

I'm as disgusted as everyone else over this. The above was just to cover boards.ie

Yes, the organisers dropped the ball - totally.

It should be pointed out however that Dublin Marathon is very much a volunteer led event.
    It only has 1 full time employee and everyone else in contracted or voluntary, so it's harsh to judge the race by the same standards as races like London which have multiples of full time staff.

This is what erks me most about the winner, he couldn’t give a rats ass about Joe or Josephine Soap who gave months and months of there lives to train for today. He’s gotten his money be it forever more in tainted circumstances and that’s all he cares about.

I really hope they are infested with the fleas of a thousand camels... Bar that, if they ever join here or are found out here, all I can do is mildly admonish them thanks to our snowflake overlords.:D

It should be pointed out however that Dublin Marathon is very much a volunteer led event.
    It only has 1 full time employee and everyone else in contracted or voluntary, so it's harsh to judge the race by the same standards as races like London which have multiples of full time staff.

I've volunteered and served already many times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I paid 93 euro. They didn’t have to pay 1,800 staff. It was sponsored by a large bank , Dublin City and many others. I don’t buy that excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

Not having a go at you C obviously, but if the man knew he should have said on your bike pal knowing the winners past. It’s poor form they knew supposedly two weeks out yet let this guy run & win convincingly. Not what the Dublin marathon is about nor what you like to see winning either.

To be clear, Jim was chatting to a bunch of us a couple of weeks ago about general marathon stuff, there was no talk or mention of El Goumri.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

99% of marathons are run by people as a hobby. The 1% where most of the cheating is done are in it to make money. Take away that incentive of massive prize money and instead filter the money down to national athletes, with more for master's runner's (top 5 get prize) ect in the age group's.

Less incentive to cheat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

A marathon should never allow any convicted drug cheat to race in it, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Fella couple doors up from me ran this weekend. 60 odd. Gets injured, gets back into it runs every few years when his body will let him.

He could be a place higher for every drug cheat that doesn’t compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Who are drug tested in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

BDI wrote: »
    Fella couple doors up from me ran this weekend. 60 odd. Gets injured, gets back into it runs every few years when his body will let him.

He could be a place higher for every drug cheat that doesn’t compete.

So could Stephen Scullion. Now imagine the difference it would have made to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bullsh1t. It was a mistake and they honoured the entry and discovered they need to make a change to the contract going forward. It now makes it less likely to reoccur.

I ran my first marathon yesterday. 4hr 22. Without 1800 volunteers it doesn't happen.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Bullsh1t. It was a mistake and they honoured the entry and discovered they need to make a change to the contract going forward. It now makes it less likely to reoccur.

I ran my first marathon yesterday. 4hr 22. Without 1800 volunteers it doesn't happen.

Go back and read what he said to Cathal Dennehy, they knew two weeks ago. The winner’s entry could have been easily refunded. It’s a mistake that should not have happened. And I’m well aware of the amount of volunteers involved, was one myself last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Go back and read what he said to Cathal Dennehy, they knew two weeks ago. The winner’s entry could have been easily refunded. It’s a mistake that should not have happened. And I’m well aware of the amount of volunteers involved, was one myself last year.

There is a contract in place. It's not as easy as just give him his costs back. If there is no clause regarding a doping ban then it's very much a legal minefield

They made a mistake, they made no excuses about it. They admitted it and have resolved to make changes to ensure it doesnt happen again. They are human. They make mistakes. Have you never made a mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

The athlete that came second should be pretty annoyed so I'm guessing.

Advertisement