Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fussy eating driving me crazy

Options
  • 21-10-2019 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    My cat Moose is by far the fussiest eater I have ever come across. He will eat any type of dry food I give him (currently Purrizon from zooplus) but when it comes to wet food, anything other than Felix is pure poison to him.
    When he came from the breeder he was being fed a variety of different types and textures of food from Felix, to various zooplus brands to raw and for the first few months he was here he was great and would eat good quality food, with a preference for James Wellbeloved pouches.
    Now, he tries to bury them as if they are something nasty that’s come from his rear end.
    I’m at the end of my tether, I’ve tried everything with him. The only only brands he’ll grudgingly contemplate other than the AGAIL Felix is purina pro plan, or if he’s very desperate, Tesco own brand.
    He seems to have a preference for chunks in gravy, he’ll occasionally eat the jelly type but never the Pâté/Mousse textured foods.
    As he’s on a good dry food I was okay with the Felix, but lately he just seems off form and lethargic. He’s as fit as a fiddle, albeit a little on the skinny side, but he seems to be in rude health other than being very subdued (and for anyone who knows bengals, this is very unusual). The only thing I can put it down to is the food as it started around the same time he started refusing anything but his junk food.
    Before I go down the route of bringing him to the vets for bloods etc, I’d like to get him eating better and see if that perks him up a bit but even I with my rather large knowledge of cats, am stumped by him.
    Has anyone any suggestions on how to get him to relise that good quality food will not kill him, and should not be buried like a fresh turd in the litter tray?!?
    (Also should add raw feeding is out. May as well be trying to feed him a cactus :pac: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Fingers crossed someone more experienced than I comes in here to help you out OP coz my cat is the exact same. Won't touch anything but the Felix stuff she was given in the adoption centre. Wouldn't even go near the Hills medicated wet food which my vet guaranteed that she would eat. She won't even eat tins of tuna that we give her so we gave up and went back to the crap Felix pouches.

We tried the staggered approach to introducing new food (25% new, 75% old, then gradually increasing the new and decreasing the old) but she would just eat around the new food. If we tried to mix the 2 together she wouldn't touch any of it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

Your cat(s) aren't hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

blackbox wrote: »
    Your cat(s) aren't hungry.

Some cats will actual choose hunger over eating food they dislike. They're literally that picky.

One of my cats will only eat Acana Wild Prairie dry food. Give her any other dry food and she'll just sit there looking at it.

I recently discovered how bad it was as we had them on different food to Acana and she was looking a little thinner than usual. Weighed her and she had dropped from 4kg to 3.5kg.

Bought a big bag of Wild Prairie and she milled into it the moment it went into her dish. Then went over to the other cat's dish and started eating her's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

They really will choose to starve themselves rather than subject themselves to the lovely healthy food in front of them. And unfortunately with cats, if they don’t eat, they can develop a serious liver condition which makes the tough love approach not work with them, so the desires are given into sooner rather than later. They know how to play us!!

Here he is modelling his new Halloween consume :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi guys,
    My cat Moose is by far the fussiest eater I have ever come across. He will eat any type of dry food I give him (currently Purrizon from zooplus) but when it comes to wet food, anything other than Felix is pure poison to him.
    When he came from the breeder he was being fed a variety of different types and textures of food from Felix, to various zooplus brands to raw and for the first few months he was here he was great and would eat good quality food, with a preference for James Wellbeloved pouches.
    Now, he tries to bury them as if they are something nasty that’s come from his rear end.
    I’m at the end of my tether, I’ve tried everything with him. The only only brands he’ll grudgingly contemplate other than the AGAIL Felix is purina pro plan, or if he’s very desperate, Tesco own brand.
    He seems to have a preference for chunks in gravy, he’ll occasionally eat the jelly type but never the Pâté/Mousse textured foods.
    As he’s on a good dry food I was okay with the Felix, but lately he just seems off form and lethargic. He’s as fit as a fiddle, albeit a little on the skinny side, but he seems to be in rude health other than being very subdued (and for anyone who knows bengals, this is very unusual). The only thing I can put it down to is the food as it started around the same time he started refusing anything but his junk food.
    Before I go down the route of bringing him to the vets for bloods etc, I’d like to get him eating better and see if that perks him up a bit but even I with my rather large knowledge of cats, am stumped by him.
    Has anyone any suggestions on how to get him to relise that good quality food will not kill him, and should not be buried like a fresh turd in the litter tray?!?
    (Also should add raw feeding is out. May as well be trying to feed him a cactus :pac: )

Although I am on "sick leave" … As a veteran of Siamese … Cat has you where car wants you. Fussing! Orientals are hyper intelligent. As you know. ;) The more concerned you get and the more attention he gets?

I had a Siamese girl who was the same. Used to drive me batty, although I did not have access to the range of food you do. ( remote area) . It is so worrying.

One day I noticed she was watching every mouthful I ate so new tactic. I would pretend to eat the food I wanted her to eat, then, playing reluctant. offer it to her.

Worked a treat.. and the other tactic is not to fuss. Give attention in ways unconnected with food. Let him know you are not going to pay too much attention.

A question; has anyone here ever had a cat starve itself to death like this? In my forty years plus. 20 of them with Siamese, this never happened.

My policy was and it that they will not. Maybe I am wrong? I hope not.

Easier now with non pedigree rescues; although one is clearly a very large part Oriental by her markings and prefers not to eat cat food ( I only have access to SV brand out here) BUT she loves raw chicken. When she came she was skeletally thin so this was clearly a serious issue. She has filled out well. And is fit and strong. But prefers not to eat cat food. She will if really hungry.

Have to stop. Thinking of you and remembering the food battles of the past with my Siamese..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

They really will choose to starve themselves rather than subject themselves to the lovely healthy food in front of them. And unfortunately with cats, if they don’t eat, they can develop a serious liver condition which makes the tough love approach not work with them, so the desires are given into sooner rather than later. They know how to play us!!

Here he is modelling his new Halloween consume :pac:

only comment from me what a beauty

looks to have clear eyes and ears so a healthy cat is all I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Cats are just amazing creatures - so odd and frustrating - typical that he would like junky Felix, but if hes eating a quality dry food and likes the rotten old Felix, I guess thats what you're going to have to put up with - you KNOW you're not going to win this one dont you???

My 2 ONLY eat what they like - dont care that I buy other/better/nicer/new things for them to try - complete waste of money - so i just give them the foods that they'll eat and hope they dont change their minds - (and I give them various other add-ins to improve their nutritional intake...)

aonb wrote: »
    Cats are just amazing creatures - so odd and frustrating - typical that he would like junky Felix, but if hes eating a quality dry food and likes the rotten old Felix, I guess thats what you're going to have to put up with - you KNOW you're not going to win this one dont you???

My 2 ONLY eat what they like - dont care that I buy other/better/nicer/new things for them to try - complete waste of money - so i just give them the foods that they'll eat and hope they dont change their minds - (and I give them various other add-ins to improve their nutritional intake...)

What other sort of add-ins might I ask? My fussy eater doesn't like dry food so I'm always concerned that she's not getting the right nutrients.

We finally had a teeny tiny tiptoe in the right direction today. I crushed up a couple of dreamies and sprinkled it over his food, and he did take two or three little mouthfuls and didn’t try to bury it. I can tell he’s really hungry because he’s acting the little thug but i think we’ll just have to persist on the tough love with him! (There’s still dry food available so he’s not going to absolutely starve!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Most likely already tried it but Bozita tetra packs? Better than Felix and got a few versions to try if he's a gravy with chunks lover. Other thing to try is to heat it up a bit to release more smell of the food as they are scent rather than taste driven creatures. Putting it in a plastic bag in a bowl of hot water for example to get it closer to freshly killed temperature could help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

You have my sympathy, I am having a similar problem with my dog. She will only eat Aldi wet food :eek: And her poos are rotten on it. I tried getting her better food, mixing old and new, adding nice things (she will pick out the nice stuff!) and it's not working. So I reckon it's back to Aldi we go :( Honestly, I have far less trouble trying to feed my two year old son!

ncmc wrote: »
    You have my sympathy, I am having a similar problem with my dog. She will only eat Aldi wet food :eek: And her poos are rotten on it. I tried getting her better food, mixing old and new, adding nice things (she will pick out the nice stuff!) and it's not working. So I reckon it's back to Aldi we go :( Honestly, I have far less trouble trying to feed my two year old son![/QUOTE

Have you tried home cooked?

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    What other sort of add-ins might I ask? My fussy eater doesn't like dry food so I'm always concerned that she's not getting the right nutrients.

I add salmon oil. I give them probiotic yoghurt. I use a seaweed product that provides omega 3/6. I give them vitamin c and essential fatty acids - a supplement specifically for cats.

Do you just add them to the food? My cat won't even touch dreamies she's that bad. I'll have to look into this further.

Nody wrote: »
    Most likely already tried it but Bozita tetra packs? Better than Felix and got a few versions to try if he's a gravy with chunks lover. Other thing to try is to heat it up a bit to release more smell of the food as they are scent rather than taste driven creatures. Putting it in a plastic bag in a bowl of hot water for example to get it closer to freshly killed temperature could help.

I have tried bozita before and no joy unfortunately. Even the older two cats who generally aren’t fussy wouldn’t eat that one!
    I did mix a drop of warm water through his food this evening before I put the dreamies over it and that has been the most successful attempt so far, will keep up trying that!
    Ideally I’d love to get them eating something like Natures Menu or MACs, but if I can get him weaned over to the James Wellbeloved pouches it’ll be a step in the right direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I was just about to say try crushing up Dreamies & sprinkling them on top of the wet food, it's what I've done here for years if they're being fussy. I've definitely mentioned it here before on another thread about fussy eating:)
    Either that or a few of the dry nuts they love being put on top. Perhaps it's a bit to do with texture, mimicking the bone & flesh chew?

I've gone a bit all out for mine & ordered a few different trial packs & a selection box:pac: off Zooplus to try & get them at least trying new things in between their 'junk' cat food. The kitten versions of most stuff goes down well too, though they're fecking far from kittens!!
    There was one I used to get in Maxi Zoo that they loved every so often too, was in a small tin & had things like 'Love Me' & 'I Missed You' in cardboard over the tin. Premiere brand?
    I'm not sure if their fussiness is because they're spoilt or because they get fed up of the same tastes & textures all the time. Though pate type foods are normally a big NO for them regardless.

Now there's also one thing Kovu will eat at any time- fresh lightly fried mackerel! But tuna is bleugh and salmon he'll only eat in catfood form.

Success!!! Microwaved a half pouch of JWB for 20 seconds, threw in a drop of cold water, and served in a ceramic bowl instead of plastic. And in front of the fire if you don’t mind :pac: he’s licked the bowl completely clean!!
    Hopefully this isn’t just a once off!

They both love yoghurt, I give them a couple of tablespoons of plain probiotic yoghurt most days (for a bit of protein, calcium and probiotics)
    I put a drop of salmon oil in wet food, tiniest amount of seaweed, the supplement is a drop or two - alternate them in the wet food - they dont seem to notice :)

Does your cat like tinned Tuna? I find that good for smuggling 'extras' into them!

Mollyb60 wrote: »

I have not used dry food for many years; lost 2 neutered males to kidney failure. Dry would be much easier for me but I have three neutered males . Checked online y'day and the same info there.

The best thing I ever did for mine diet wise was raw chicken. My oldest is over 15 and leaps around like a kitten. Tinned as well to cover all bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Success!!! Microwaved a half pouch of JWB for 20 seconds, threw in a drop of cold water, and served in a ceramic bowl instead of plastic. And in front of the fire if you don’t mind :pac: he’s licked the bowl completely clean!!
    Hopefully this isn’t just a once off!

One of mine doesn't like plastic bowls, another does the Bury the food thing, but I think it's to save for later as he only eats little and often.
    Mine love bozita chunks in gravy, I have warmed it in the past when one was sick, it was like I'd served them fillet steak 😂
    Hope he keeps eating, he looks in good condition though. Love the costume ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have not used dry food for many years; lost 2 neutered males to kidney failure. Dry would be much easier for me but I have three neutered males . Checked online y'day and the same info there.

The best thing I ever did for mine diet wise was raw chicken. My oldest is over 15 and leaps around like a kitten. Tinned as well to cover all bases.

Why raw and not cooked chicken graces7? I ask on behalf of two pre teen neutered cats that have started to become intolerant to dried food.

Why raw and not cooked chicken graces7? I ask on behalf of two pre teen neutered cats that have started to become intolerant to dried food.

Raw includes the bones. I was taught to feed raw by a very reputable breeder and was sceptical until I gave a raw wing to one of my cats and watched in awe as he scoffed and crunched every scrap.

It is natural enough; and never an issue with a bone . They keep their teeth clear and shining and the sheer pleasure. I have never had a cat that did not relish it
    Love to see them ..

That was ten years ago and we have never looked back.

Maybe try a wing?

One place I lived there was a chicken " factory" and as i was working with rescues they sold me 10 k boxes for a few euro; wings. legs ,necks. Brilliant. Now I get boxes of portions and whole birds .

They get a second small feed of tinned food to make sure. I have very limited access to shops now but never a sign of boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Raw includes the bones. I was taught to feed raw by a very reputable breeder and was sceptical until I gave a raw wing to one of my cats and watched in awe as he scoffed and crunched every scrap.

It is natural enough; and never an issue with a bone . They keep their teeth clear and shining and the sheer pleasure. I have never had a cat that did not relish it
    Love to see them ..

That was ten years ago and we have never looked back.

Maybe try a wing?

One place I lived there was a chicken " factory" and as i was working with rescues they sold me 10 k boxes for a few euro; wings. legs ,necks. Brilliant. Now I get boxes of portions and whole birds .

They get a second small feed of tinned food to make sure. I have very limited access to shops now but never a sign of boredom.

I will try them with a wing and thanks for the tip. Although I don't relish keeping their chicken in my fridge it is probably more favorable than cleaning up their vomit...

I will try them with a wing and thanks for the tip. Although I don't relish keeping their chicken in my fridge it is probably more favorable than cleaning up their vomit...

OUCH!

Why? Oh if you are vegetarian? We share everything my cats and I! As long as they have not been near the main carcase! lol..I eat almost no meat so we are fine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Save the risk of giving your cat, and yourself, salmonella and listeria by cooking it.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Save the risk of giving your cat, and yourself, salmonella and listeria by cooking it.

You can't feed them cooked bones

You can't feed them cooked bones

Exactly, best to leave the bones out entirely.

Exactly, best to leave the bones out entirely.

Why? No critter fillets its food. The bones are rich in vital nutrients. Never had a single issue in all these decades and never a case of salmonella.

And they keep their teeth clean and strong; natural

Google assures that any disease from raw is rare; cats are equipped to deal with microorganisms as they naturally eat raw,

And very rare for human grade chicken these days to have any disease.

Up to you but I can vouch for the safety of feeding raw chicken, bones and all to cats.

Cooked bones as others aver, are NOT to be fed. They get brittle.

Watching my lot crunch at them is a joy. We researched thoroughly of course and will feed raw always.

And very rare for human grade chicken these days to have any disease.

This is, quite simply, false. 50% of UK raw chicken has been found to have Campylobacter bacteria and over 5% has salmonella. This isn't even including E coli, Listeria, Clostridium, worms and norovirus. The numbers are even higher in Ireland...

You might feel confident feeding your own pets raw meat but it's clear you haven't done your research.

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/media/document/b180002finreport.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

This is, quite simply, false. 50% of UK raw chicken has been found to have Campylobacter bacteria and over 5% has salmonella. This isn't even including E coli, Listeria, Clostridium, worms and norovirus. The numbers are even higher in Ireland...

You might feel confident feeding your own pets raw meat but it's clear you haven't done your research.

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/media/document/b180002finreport.pdf

I feed my dogs raw meat. Why would I be worried - I wash my hands and use the same food prep I would use if I was cooking meat: utensils and surfaces cleaned after any potential contact with raw meat.

My dogs don't lick my face - they lick and eat all sorts of things so their mouths are filthy before I give them raw. And if they've been licking my hands or we've been rolling around having games, I wash my hands before I put them anywhere near my face.

It's basic hygiene - I don't see it as any more dangerous than having dogs and feeding them dry food while having raw meat in the house that you're going to cook for yourself. :confused:

Advertisement