Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fussy eating driving me crazy

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The fact they are likely eating raw meat full of bacteria should surely be the concern?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

irish_goat wrote: »
    The fact they are likely eating raw meat full of bacteria should surely be the concern?

as in, you're worried about the dog or cat's potential to get sick rather than them spreading it to people?

Nah, I'm not worried at all. Their bodies are designed to eat raw meat - the ph of their stomach is designed to break down bone and a healthy dog/cat is at low risk of contracting salmonella or ecoli from raw meat.

I've seen some of the stuff my dogs have pulled out of the back of barns to chew on. Fresh raw chicken is the least of their worries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Choc Chip wrote: »
    as in, you're worried about the dog or cat's potential to get sick rather than them spreading it to people?

I'm worried about both but more so about my pets getting sick as they would be the ones eating the raw meat. Given you know the bacteria is present on the meat why take the risk that their immune system will deal with it?

Bodies designed to eat raw meat ≠ raw meat is best for them

I'm worried about both but more so about my pets getting sick as they would be the ones eating the raw meat. Given you know the bacteria is present on the meat why take the risk that their immune system will deal with it?

Bodies designed to eat raw meat ≠ raw meat is best for them

That's your decision.

I feel that the benefits to my pets are greater than the risks: chewing is a healthy activity for them, is good for teeth, reduces boredom, releases dopamine (I'm sure I read this somewhere but i'd need to search for the study) and bones have calcium and phosphorus and all those good things.

They LOVE a good chicken leg/wing.

An FDA study found about 3% of dogs showed salmonella exposure, and only half of those had symptoms (again, I think those numbers are right but I'd have to check). And as I said, my dogs are into everything - a fresh chicken is likely the least gross thing they've picked up this week.

For me, the benefits outweigh the potential risks. But it's not because I haven't done research.

I'm just back to add anal glands - a raw chicken wing once or twice a week and I never have to express anal glands. That would just about be worth it all on it's own for me. :pac:

erm... i'm taking silly mangos thread totally offtopic now so i'll stop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is, quite simply, false. 50% of UK raw chicken has been found to have Campylobacter bacteria and over 5% has salmonella. This isn't even including E coli, Listeria, Clostridium, worms and norovirus. The numbers are even higher in Ireland...

You might feel confident feeding your own pets raw meat but it's clear you haven't done your research.

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/media/document/b180002finreport.pdf

I have actually. Raw feeding for cats not people. Please be sure that we love our cats and check all out carefully.
    The UK document you quote is concerned with human safety and human health; maybe google raw food for cats and dogs for more accurate information? Thank you .. and be at peace on this.

In the 15 years I have been feeding raw chicken, never a day's illness in any of my cats. And others know the same

Cats are not human and vice versa, If you fed your cat human food I would worry. If I ate raw chicken I would worry.

Cats and people are different

OF COURSE, if you feel you need to avoid raw food for YOUR cat, fine.

Your choice. I feel totally happy with my choice as do my cats.

Advertisement