Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV (eir Vision replacement - tvOS/Apple TV based)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I was about to purchase but no BBC recording makes this a complete no no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

If the recorded content is in the cloud already how are they setting it up? Let's say you want to record something on rte 2. Are you accessing eir's cloud or pulling content from the rte player?

If it is the latter it would seem eir are handing everything over to the streaming services of other providers. Perhaps this explains why there is no bbc. They weren't given access to the iplayer. If they are accessing the players for recordings there is a good chance that your recording wouldn't be on the player.

This product might appeal to the streaming generation that are renting and/or those that can't put up a satellite dish.

I believe Adrian Weckler said you have to have eir (eir broadband I presume he means). Despite the poor box that Virgin have I can't see too many of those subscribers switching. Afterall Virgin subscribers can now also get BT Sport through the Now tv app.

No it wouldn't be anything to do with the TV channels' on demand / player services. Eir use their own servers to cache programming for the end users.

It's fairly petty of the BBC to make the licence technology specific, as it renders next generation set too boxes like this unworkable.

I wonder if this could also be what's holding up Virgin Media's rollout of their new boxes? Horizon's successor is also cloud based.

The Apple TV is a very nice platform/device to use but eir’s implementation and what’s being provided is not great really.

Done properly (full suite of channels incl sky sports etc available) it would be a great way to offer the service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be honest I’m not sure why anyone who is not restricted from installing a satellite dish (because they don’t own the property or are subject to a restrictive covenant) would take this service over installing Saorview & Freesat. There’s few non FTA channels on it bar some of the kids and documentary channels and the eir Sport pack. You can pair Now TV with any other service anyway, and I suppose the only advantage of eir TV in that regard is that you can do it on the same set top box as the eir TV service.

I understand rights issues but from the point of view of a user who doesn’t understand the underlying tech differences, they’ll just be wondering why Sky and Virgin can offer recording of BBC services and eir can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is TG4 now on the eir tv app even if you don't have the tv subscription?

From their email
    Benefits of eir TV app

All the great Sporting channels you have are still available for you to enjoy with the best of rugby from the World Cup to Pro 14, the best of GAA Allianz Leagues and all the best football from the Europa and UEFA champions leagues with eir sport 1 & 2, FreeSports, Virgin Media Sport and Virgin Media Sport extra 1-6 & TG4.

Edit: It is and is in hd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Has anyone ordered this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Kurn wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered this?

No and I don’t intend upgrading- quiet happy with evision

Is TG4 now on the eir tv app even if you don't have the tv subscription?

From their email
    Benefits of eir TV app

All the great Sporting channels you have are still available for you to enjoy with the best of rugby from the World Cup to Pro 14, the best of GAA Allianz Leagues and all the best football from the Europa and UEFA champions leagues with eir sport 1 & 2, FreeSports, Virgin Media Sport and Virgin Media Sport extra 1-6 & TG4.

Edit: It is and is in hd.

When you go to the App Store the only eir app is the black one - yet I can’t get all the channels just eir sport Virgin sport and tg4 / strange

When I went onto the green app earlier it only had one 'extra eir channel' on it. I updated the app and now I have this.

Having tg4 in hd is brilliant. It was the one drawback for me of having a fta system as lots of gaa games and rugby was on it. The tg4 app was useless as it wouldn't play live tv for me.
    Now it can be chromecast to the tv or used out and about.

If only rte would allow its channels on it and we wouldn't have to use the useless rte player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Kurn wrote:
    Has anyone ordered this?

kooga wrote:
    No and I don’t intend upgrading- quiet happy with evision

You sure that no-one has ordered it? That would have to be the worst service launch of all time if so. Surely someone has?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think we can take it that the OP only speaks for him/herself on that one. I do know someone that has ordered it, as it happens.

You sure that no-one has ordered it? That would have to be the worst service launch of all time if so. Surely someone has?

apologies i was only speaking on my own behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

spoke to a EIR rep yesterday who suggested it would only be a matter of time before the BBC channels became available for recording. He seemed to suggest it would be in the next month but I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Sorry... The question was intended to illicit responses from people who ordered the system and had an opinion/review on it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Anyone know if this might be rectified in the future? I'd be interested in EIR TV but I like being able to skip through MOTD on a Sunday morning!

- No.

greendom wrote: »
    spoke to a EIR rep yesterday who suggested it would only be a matter of time before the BBC channels became available for recording. He seemed to suggest it would be in the next month but I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

- Total nonsense.

According to the media today Virgin are taking eir to court for putting the virgin channels on their new apple box.

It seems the court has to decide whether the eir service is a tv service (ok to carry them) or a streaming service (not ok to carry them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

It depends how they are carried on the eir network. Their old TV service was via multicast and the TV had dedicated bandwidth that was isolated from other internet traffic, hence the need for a fixed rate profile with reduced speed. As eir are now providing the service over an app Virgin will argue that it is streaming.

What services are going through an app though.
    I would think the virgin channels are on the tv guide part?

Tg4 also have their channel on the eir tv app so more than just Virgin involved. If tg4 are on it, why not rte?

• Advertisement

What services are going through an app though.
    I would think the virgin channels are on the tv guide part?

Tg4 also have their channel on the eir tv app so more than just Virgin involved. If tg4 are on it, why not rte?

Eir TV itself is an app on the Apple TV

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Kurn wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered this?

Received it yesterday. Getting a divorce next week :D

You can't record RTE, Virgin, BBC along with other channels.
    For RTE programs, they have the RTE app embedded so you watch that way, meaning you are forced to now watch adds.

Can't record Virgin one (TV3) which means herself is losing out on Cornation St, Emerdale, X-Factor and all that other stuff. The Virgin app isn't on Apple TV, so you can't watch there. You can't cast the app to the TV either so I'm goosed.

I suppose the box is meant to be revolutionary and change how TV is watched and all that. Really its just pushing you towards having to have a netflix subscription, now TV subscription and so on and you just watch everything on demand.

I don't have any apple devices, so trying to actually get the box up and running was no fun. I was even forced to install itunes on my laptop to link my new apple id to my itunes account so I could download the RTE & netfix apps.

The apple TV remote nearly has 2 few buttons. press the wrong one, and you jump from watching eir TV out to the apple TV homescreen. Will take a bit of getting used to, or I'll just have to order Sky, or a saorview box that will record...removing the need to have eirtv.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

For RTE programs, they have the RTE app embedded so you watch that way, meaning you are forced to now watch adds.

Can't record Virgin one (TV3) which means herself is losing out on Cornation St, Emerdale, X-Factor and all that other stuff. The Virgin app isn't on Apple TV, so you can't watch there. You can't cast the app to the TV either so I'm goosed.

I suppose the box is meant to be revolutionary and change how TV is watched and all that. Really its just pushing you towards having to have a netflix subscription, now TV subscription and so on and you just watch everything on demand.

I don't have any apple devices, so trying to actually get the box up and running was no fun. I was even forced to install itunes on my laptop to link my new apple id to my itunes account so I could download the RTE & netfix apps.

The apple TV remote nearly has 2 few buttons. press the wrong one, and you jump from watching eir TV out to the apple TV homescreen. Will take a bit of getting used to, or I'll just have to order Sky, or a saorview box that will record...removing the need to have eirtv.

that sounds like absolute garbage, the type of thing you probably wouldnt put up with if it was free :(

Cyrus wrote: »
    that sounds like absolute garbage, the type of thing you probably wouldnt put up with if it was free :(

im keeping my evision!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭galtee boy

And we thought the Saorview Connect box was a pile of sh**e ! Looks like it has serious competition now .

Thanks for the info. I will stay away from that. Can any channels be recorded? I assume you can pause and rewind?

But if the Virgin app isn't in the Apple store how are you able to view the Virgin channels.

I am laughing with the idea of watching rte through the rte player.

Thank goodness there is freesat.
    Redord motd and you can quickly move through the ads.

Regards the eir tv app - some people seem to have different channels on it.
    Kooga said there was only a few channels on their app.
    I have eir broadband and have tg4, all virgin channels in hd (720 at best, though the Virgin Sport one is better), eir sports 1 & 2 and freesports. No rte channels though.

"You can't record RTE, Virgin, BBC along with other channels." - this vital information should be clearly stated on eir website but hey let's not bother and chance our arm and hopefully not too many will cancel when they discover this for themselves.

Sickening but not surprising behaviour from this lot.

But if the Virgin app isn't in the Apple store how are you able to view the Virgin channels.

I am laughing with the idea of watching rte through the rte player.

Thank goodness there is freesat.
    Redord motd and you can quickly move through the ads.

Regards the eir tv app - some people seem to have different channels on it.
    Kooga said there was only a few channels on their app.
    I have eir broadband and have tg4, all virgin channels in hd (720 at best, though the Virgin Sport one is better), eir sports 1 & 2 and freesports. No rte channels though.

Thats exactly the channel list I have - see attached photo from the latest eir magazine there seems to be three levels of tv Channels - the app seems to have only the eir tv basic - and as it is linked to your subscription you probably need to have apple tv.

the eir Tv basic is fulfilling the requirement to provide the eir sport pack free to broadband customers

• Advertisement

How come tg4 is on it I wonder?
    Is it eir's way of covering their commitment to have all pro14 games covered I wonder?
    Some of the games would only be on tg4, e.g. Connacht games.

Advertisement