Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV (eir Vision replacement - tvOS/Apple TV based)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

NotToScale wrote: »
    That’s more likely a coincidence tbh. There are only a handful of good IPTV infrastructure providers, so you’ll find similarities around various operators. Yet and EE have nothing to do with each other. Eir’s a French company these days.

Canal+ was the first tv provider to make the move over to Apple TV and I would expect you’ll see more companies making this move too.

The days of trying to build out a viable user experience on your own customized hardware seem to be coming to an end. You’re looking at both IPTV and also telephony becoming appified.

I never said there was a connection but having having seen the EE box in Belfast its the same platform ! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Does the Now TV sub have to be bought through Eir or can you do it yourself - ie purchase half prices offers they often have etc?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

leex wrote: »
    Does the Now TV sub have to be bought through Eir or can you do it yourself - ie purchase half prices offers they often have etc?

NowTV is a stand alone subscription service from Sky, nothing to do with Eir. You just download the app and sign up same as Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Mickeroo wrote: »
    NowTV is a stand alone subscription service from Sky, nothing to do with Eir. You just download the app and sign up same as Netflix.

Yes - I already have it. Was wondering if the Eir solution pushed subscribers to sign up via them which in theory could make it more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So the basic version is essentially a stripped out Freesat/Freeview plus saorview with eirsport and a few apps for 20 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

kooga wrote: »
    I never said there was a connection but having having seen the EE box in Belfast its the same platform ! Thank you

Yeah both of them went with Netgem: https://www.netgem.com/success/success-stories/

So the basic version is essentially a stripped out Freesat/Freeview plus saorview with eirsport and a few apps for 20 a month.

yes the channel line up is no different to whats on evision - the one plus is that for €20 pm is it the cheapest way to get the full eir sport pack in HD with a record function?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If you’re not already a Sky subscriber then yes, I guess so.

The Apple TV angle is one we haven’t really explored on this thread but, looking more widely, Apple TV is not a cheap piece of kit at €160 for the basic when Roku and Amazon are selling comparably featured products for a fraction of the price and Apple has, in the wake of announcing Apple TV+, dropped its opposition to third parties having access to Airplay/its app (it has done a deal with Roku this week). So what’s the point of Apple TV, which wasn’t exactly selling like hot cakes here? Maybe it’s future lies in doing these sort of deals with cablecos to run their platforms on it. Also this will get Apple TV+ into plenty of homes who might not otherwise have subscribed to it (because let’s face it, it’s very bare launch line up is hardly a compelling reason to sign up at €4.99 pm - though the twelve month free trial will be coming with every piece of Apple kit bought for the next while anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

How do you record in this new apple TV and how much recording space.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

kooga wrote: »
    I called into the eir shop in cork this morning and they have one on display and as an existing evision customer i dont see anything in it to make me upgrade

- just to clarify HD is standard but not all channels in HD
    - limited catch up services
    as stated above - if you want sports you must go down the now tv route as only the eir sport pack is standard you can upgrade via eir to get eurosport and sky sports racing (via eir tv extra pack at €9.99 pm ) and surprisngly racing uk is available.

Multiroom is now €10 pm up from €5 pm

Exact same as the offering from EE in the UK.

its just a vehicle to get people to say i have apple tv

I was thinking of upgrading, but it only dawned on me that Eir will no longer offer sports channels such as Premier Sports, BT Sports or even Sky Sports to new/upgrading customers?

So if like me you want Premier Sports and BT Sports – or Sky Sports – you need to get it through NowTV? So its nothing to do with Eir anymore.

It makes me wonder, what is the point of even getting/keeping Eir then in the first place? Currently I have a broadband/TV/mobile x2/house phone bundle with them, but I'd need to work out what is cheaper: keeping that bundle (at a new price they'd offer) and adding a NowTV Sports Extra monthly pass; OR ditching Eir altogether, get a Apple TV, standalone broadband (likely Virgin), NowTV, and mobiles separate.

The only thing that would hold me back from that second option is access to all the standard TV channels on Eir – not that I would want them, but the missis would want all the RTEs, BBCs etc for her programmes. But then I wondering is there another way to get all those channels, e.g. through AppleTV+ or Saorview?

• Advertisement

Roland27 wrote: »
    I was thinking of upgrading, but it only dawned on me that Eir will no longer offer sports channels such as Premier Sports, BT Sports or even Sky Sports to new/upgrading customers?

So if like me you want Premier Sports and BT Sports – or Sky Sports – you need to get it through NowTV? So its nothing to do with Eir anymore.

It makes me wonder, what is the point of even getting/keeping Eir then in the first place? Currently I have a broadband/TV/mobile x2/house phone bundle with them, but I'd need to work out what is cheaper: keeping that bundle (at a new price they'd offer) and adding a NowTV Sports Extra monthly pass; OR ditching Eir altogether, get a Apple TV, standalone broadband (likely Virgin), NowTV, and mobiles separate.

The only thing that would hold me back from that second option is access to all the standard TV channels on Eir – not that I would want them, but the missis would want all the RTEs, BBCs etc for her programmes. But then I wondering is there another way to get all those channels, e.g. through AppleTV+ or Saorview?

R u out of contract?

If so give them a ring - i rang in august and got anytime phone bb and evison for €65 pm for 12 months on a 12 month contract

in addition i added the sport extra pack plus HD for an extra €20

your other alternative is saorview and FTA satellite - you will have a one off installation cost

then you need a BB provider

then a sub for NOW Tv

It all adds up

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Yep contract up this month so on a rolling, waiting for a call back from the loyalty department to see what they can do with me. Gonna brake down the figures and see what is the cheaper option.

Going the solo route would also mean having to actually buy the Apple TV (€159 with free Apple TV+ for a year), whereas with Eir they come free I believe (though technically you're leasing them until/if you leave). Also not sure how would multiroom work on an Apple TV with Eir, they hardly provide a second box? As far as I know an Apple TV will only work with one Smart TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Roland27 wrote: »
    Yep contract up this month so on a rolling, waiting for a call back from the loyalty department to see what they can do with me. Gonna brake down the figures and see what is the cheaper option.

Going the solo route would also mean having to actually buy the Apple TV (€159 with free Apple TV+ for a year), whereas with Eir they come free I believe (though technically you're leasing them until/if you leave). Also not sure how would multiroom work on an Apple TV with Eir, they hardly provide a second box? As far as I know an Apple TV will only work with one Smart TV.
    Yup miltiroom is another box, confirmed it with eir this morn, hence the price increase from 5 to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

joe_99 wrote: »
    Is the new Eir TV service over multicast like the old eir tv service and therefor not count against your usage.
    It's not multicast, it is a cloud based solution partnering with zattoo.com
    Packets are tagged so not to be counted for usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

After 12 months, if you no longer wish to continue with eirvision or eir tv or whatever its called, do you have to return the 4k Apple TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

lionmqj wrote: »
    After 12 months, if you no longer wish to continue with eirvision or eir tv or whatever its called, do you have to return the 4k Apple TV?
    Yes

Or you can buy it - they call it an “exit fee”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Adrian Weckler reporting that you can't record BBC on this service which isn't great to be honest.

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1185213416899784705

So it's basically **** then? Is the iplayer available here yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

iPlayer is not available here legally AFAIK. This eir service would not be my first choice as a viewing platform!

• Advertisement

It's amazing how quickly a new service is revealed to be far too little for far too much. Esp bearing in mind the eircom line rental is on top of this fee. It's so long since I had legacy "copper" I don't know what it costs these days.

Also I notice they don't have ITV/2/3/4 or Talking Pictures (okay a bit niche that one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Adrian Weckler reporting that you can't record BBC on this service which isn't great to be honest.

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1185213416899784705

A minor catch ? Not to be able to record the BBC channels? This thing will be up there with Saorview Connect fighting for the worst piece of kit competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭dam099

mollser wrote: »
    An ability to integrate the individual app subs (Now TV, Eurosport etc) into the Eir app EPG would be the real game changer here. Not having those on the main EPG is not great - the apps are fine if you know there's something specific on you want to watch, but flicking between them doesn't make for a good browsing experience.

I thought the approach Apple were trying to take (at least in the US) is to get the cable TV providers to feed their channels into the (Apple) TV app albeit possibly also with their own app as an alternative.

It would probably be better for Apple to do the integration and offer APIs to Eir/NowTV et al rather than have 100s of TV providers reinvent the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If the recorded content is in the cloud already how are they setting it up? Let's say you want to record something on rte 2. Are you accessing eir's cloud or pulling content from the rte player?

If it is the latter it would seem eir are handing everything over to the streaming services of other providers. Perhaps this explains why there is no bbc. They weren't given access to the iplayer. If they are accessing the players for recordings there is a good chance that your recording wouldn't be on the player.

This product might appeal to the streaming generation that are renting and/or those that can't put up a satellite dish.

I believe Adrian Weckler said you have to have eir (eir broadband I presume he means). Despite the poor box that Virgin have I can't see too many of those subscribers switching. Afterall Virgin subscribers can now also get BT Sport through the Now tv app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

No. It is the best streaming service out there. Great mix of content. You can download stuff for offline viewing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cafard

Don't know about the top box, but app support is an absolute joke. I had Eir Sports pushed on me because it became part of my broadband package (at a price increase), but can't even watch it now that they switched to the new Eir TV app. Last week the rugby was playing just fine, this week after update, it refuses to play, blaming my phone for not matching their DRM requirements. A 1 year old Android phone. And of course, no live support until at least 9am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

It will put pressure on Virgin to rollout the next version of Horizon or something more usable.

There's no particular reason why Virgin or Vodafone or anyone else couldn't just adopt Apple TV too. I doubt Apple did an exclusivity deal with anyone on this.

As far as I'm aware, Apple do provide some kind of framework to build your TV app on so, they'll all be broadly the same and work well. It's not likely to be a case of ISPs and cable cos reinventing the wheel each time.

dam099 wrote: »
    I thought the approach Apple were trying to take (at least in the US) is to get the cable TV providers to feed their channels into the (Apple) TV app albeit possibly also with their own app as an alternative

Sort of - there is “Apple TV channels” but it’s really a way to use the Apple TV app to access third party OTT content (because Apple TV+ doesn’t have any). It’s actually available in Ireland but there are only two channels, Starzplay and Smithsonian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Not being able to record the BBC channels makes this a total non runner from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Not being able to record the BBC channels makes this a total non runner from the start.

Anyone know if this might be rectified in the future? I'd be interested in EIR TV but I like being able to skip through MOTD on a Sunday morning!

Advertisement