Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV (eir Vision replacement - tvOS/Apple TV based)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

So here’s another question.

If you have eir Broadband (not eir TV) and happen to own an Apple TV (privately purchased)- can you download the eir TV app and use it to watch eir Sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Now that I have it a couple of days, it's starting to grow on me. It's handy to be able to jump in & out from sir TV to Netflix to now TV to Amazon prime.
    I still find the remote is very fiddly. Press the wrong button and you end up closing an app!!
    Adds on the rte player aren't actually too bad. Your made watch one add is all.
    On the eir TV, you have the ability to restart a show that's already in progress, but if you restart, you can't fast forward. So if they sorted out a virgin TV app on the apple box, it would be all good.

icdg wrote: »
    So here’s another question.

If you have eir Broadband (not eir TV) and happen to own an Apple TV (privately purchased)- can you download the eir TV app and use it to watch eir Sport?

I use a family members eir log in to watch eir sport on my iPhone (they don’t have eir tv either). Downloaded the eir tv app on my Apple TV and I can see the available channels which work on my phone (sports channels plus TG4) but I’m getting a restricted content and channels not available at your location.

I’m not connecting to the internet using eir BB however so this may be the reason? I had hoped the app would work the same as on the phone for the sports channels and not require you to be using it on an eir connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Now that I have it a couple of days, it's starting to grow on me. It's handy to be able to jump in & out from sir TV to Netflix to now TV to Amazon prime.
    I still find the remote is very fiddly. Press the wrong button and you end up closing an app!!
    Adds on the rte player aren't actually too bad. Your made watch one add is all.
    On the eir TV, you have the ability to restart a show that's already in progress, but if you restart, you can't fast forward. So if they sorted out a virgin TV app on the apple box, it would be all good.

Any chance do you know how to record pograms on it. We have eir tv and have recorded lots of kids shows. I can find the show but cant find a way to set them to record

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Any chance do you know how to record pograms on it. We have eir tv and have recorded lots of kids shows. I can find the show but cant find a way to set them to record

What channel are the shows on? You can only record some channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I received the Eir Apple TV box yesterday and it's growing on me also.

Things I dislike: only SD for channel 4, more 4 and most channels only SD.

Things I like: nice simple mix of channels, catch-up has some nice stuff and features, nice that I can access it on the phone and tablet, all 4 app, Amazon prime, Netflix, YouTube, iptv smarters app :)

I must check to see can I install the Eir tv onto a firestick or Android box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I recently upgraded my phone and was told I’d get the Apple TV because I was on an old plan but I think it’s for new customers only. Any one get it as a previous customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I recently upgraded my phone and was told I’d get the Apple TV because I was on an old plan but I think it’s for new customers only. Any one get it as a previous customer.

Are you sure it's not the apple tv+ you would get - the streaming service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Was onto eir today Re my bill and asked about what’s happening to evision

No option anymore to add sky sports or cinema or any other add ons

I currently have the ps/bt sports pack with hd on a promo and in January ( after h cup rugby) if I cancel it I can’t get it again later in the season on the eir platform

All premium channels will now be through now tv

In contract till August so if I stay with eir and want tv will have to upgrade to Apple 🎠tv

From a previous post ch 4 etc was never in hd

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kooga wrote: »
    From a previous post ch 4 etc was never in hd

I presume that's because C4 don't provide Irish HD versions of their channels (ie with Irish ads) and is the same on all Irish cable systems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Quackster wrote: »
    I presume that's because C4 don't provide Irish HD versions of their channels (ie with Irish ads) and is the same on all Irish cable systems?

C4 HD is available on Virgin Media. Couldn't tell you if its Irish ads or not but I presume they're UK ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

I am replying to kooga's last post here really.

Am with Eir Vision too so just wondering if I do nothing can I keep all of what I have if I just renew when need to mainly Sky Sports, BT and Premier I am referring to here!

Not a fan of change so happy to stay as is as happy enough with package currently..

bugsyb4 wrote: »
    I am replying to kooga's last post here really.

Am with Eir Vision too so just wondering if I do nothing can I keep all of what I have if I just renew when need to mainly Sky Sports, BT and Premier I am referring to here!

Not a fan of change so happy to stay as is as happy enough with package currently..

whatever you have at the moment in terms of premium channels you can keep - however be mindful that if you are on a promotion it will revert to full price and you wont be offered any offers again. Going forward the evision is not going to be flexible.

Ok so I am getting all sports channels for 6 months for 29.99 instead of normal price of 59.99, are you saying it goes to 59.99 right away or after the 6 months??

whatever you have at the moment in terms of premium channels you can keep - however be mindful that if you are on a promotion it will revert to full price and you wont be offered any offers again. Going forward the evision is not going to be flexible.

Ok so I am getting all sports channels for 6 months for 29.99 instead of normal price of 59.99, are you saying it goes to 59.99 right away or after the 6 months??

After the six months it will go to full price. If you cancel you will not be able to add on sport again at a later date.

After the six months it will go to full price. If you cancel you will not be able to add on sport again at a later date.

That's annoying as they were always good to haggle with! Only took the sports in Sept so have a good bit left on the 6 months so see how things look when that has finished.

That's annoying as they were always good to haggle with! Only took the sports in Sept so have a good bit left on the 6 months so see how things look when that has finished.

I agree - i never paid full price for any of the add on's. Glad i took up the offer of BT sport and PS at the start of September for €14.99 pm for 6 months.

Will have to come up with another option in April to watch the H Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "You can't record RTE, Virgin, BBC along with other channels." - this vital information should be clearly stated on eir website but hey let's not bother and chance our arm and hopefully not too many will cancel when they discover this for themselves.

Sickening but not surprising behaviour from this lot.
    Here's the channels that you CAN record, according to their chat guy

You can record- COMEDY CENTRAL, COMEDY CENTRAL, MTV, FOX, france 24, GOD, QUEST, TCM MOVIES, QVC, QUEST RED, CNN, EQTN, ALJAZEERA, euro news., Animal Planet, TLC, Bloom berg, nickelodeon, Discovery Channel,

Comedy central EXTRA, nickToons, REALLY, Home & health, Shed, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, ID, Turbo, BOOM BRANG, SCIENCE, DMAX, EUROSPORT 1, EUROSPORT 2, LIFE TIME, H2, sky sports racing, nick jr.

CARTOONSNITE 9, H HISTORY, CRIME INVESTIGATION, NAT GEO WILD, VH+, CARTOON NETWORK, DISCOVERY HISTORY.

No BBC, no RTE, no C4 or E4

Definitely not an option for me

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Here's the channels that you CAN record, according to their chat guy

You can record- COMEDY CENTRAL, COMEDY CENTRAL, MTV, FOX, france 24, GOD, QUEST, TCM MOVIES, QVC, QUEST RED, CNN, EQTN, ALJAZEERA, euro news., Animal Planet, TLC, Bloom berg, nickelodeon, Discovery Channel,

Comedy central EXTRA, nickToons, REALLY, Home & health, Shed, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, ID, Turbo, BOOM BRANG, SCIENCE, DMAX, EUROSPORT 1, EUROSPORT 2, LIFE TIME, H2, sky sports racing, nick jr.

CARTOONSNITE 9, H HISTORY, CRIME INVESTIGATION, NAT GEO WILD, VH+, CARTOON NETWORK, DISCOVERY HISTORY.

No BBC, no RTE, no C4 or E4

Definitely not an option for me

I find that so bizarre that they would release a product in Ireland that cannot record RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I wonder is it something to do with streaming rights.
    There may not be any hard drive on the Apple 4k box. All recordings may be streamed from the cloud.

Can anyone clarify?

https://www.whathifi.com/apple/tv-4k/review

From the above article it says
    'There’s just 32GB storage in the standard model (£179/$179), and 64GB in the version we have on test here, priced £199/$199.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There isn’t, only the very first generation Apple TV had a mechanical HDD. There is currently 32GB/64GB flash storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its too expensive compared to Skys basic package.

apope8 wrote: »
    I find that so bizarre that they would release a product in Ireland that cannot record RTE!

I don't think they are being fair to their customers in communicating this limitation to their customers either.

mikeym wrote: »
    Its too expensive compared to Skys basic package.

A sky basic package with HD is €45 pm!

The Eir tv package is half the price of Sky.

apope8 wrote: »

What's the big deal with recording, that's old school. It has rte on demand and the rte player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

IrishHomer wrote: »
    What's the big deal with recording, that's old school. It has rte on demand and the rte player

Enough said

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Just want to throw my two cents into this discussion.
    I am getting my box delivered today and it's saving me money on the upgrade so why not.

My theory is if eir haven't locked it down and we can install iplaytv for IPTV streams on the box then we are on to a winner. Eir no longer sell the packages so as long as they're getting you to pay for eir TV they make their money

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

So I've had some fun with eir. Missed a couple of calls from their loyalty team so called them yesterday. Now I have to say I've been with eir ever since they launched evision and have never had an issue with them. They've been great.

Yesterday - Get in touch with a man who sounded like he lost his lust for life never mind his job. Play the old I'm considering switching to Sky or vodafone or virgin etc... Ok here's your UAN#. Erm ok. No lets see what we can do or let me try to help you out here just, off you go.

Today - Lets give this another shot. Tell me about this apple tv offering. "I don't know anything about that product" allllllllllllllllrighty then. Handed around a few different people from tech support to broadband support (for some reason) and nobody has any idea what you can do or not do with the apple tv boxes. It was news to most of them. As broadband support asked me: "what's apple tv?"

So eir have been wonderful but jesus christ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

gmacww wrote: »
    So I've had some fun with eir. Missed a couple of calls from their loyalty team so called them yesterday. Now I have to say I've been with eir ever since they launched evision and have never had an issue with them. They've been great.

Yesterday - Get in touch with a man who sounded like he lost his lust for life never mind his job. Play the old I'm considering switching to Sky or vodafone or virgin etc... Ok here's your UAN#. Erm ok. No lets see what we can do or let me try to help you out here just, off you go.

Today - Lets give this another shot. Tell me about this apple tv offering. "I don't know anything about that product" allllllllllllllllrighty then. Handed around a few different people from tech support to broadband support (for some reason) and nobody has any idea what you can do or not do with the apple tv boxes. It was news to most of them. As broadband support asked me: "what's apple tv?"

So eir have been wonderful but jesus christ!

I think they need to spend more money advertising this product... online, on streaming services, on TV newspapers.

But don't bother to spent 2 and a haf pence on customer services and sales, customer retention. While they are at it, they should launch 5G and a new mobile network, while ignoring all these complaints and issues :)

They launch a tv service (which is actually pretty good in many ways) but not tell customers they can't do things like record the national broadcaster. Which will generate more calls back to customer service, who already know very little about the product.

The product is good, but tell people what they are not getting in some way on their website.

Advertisement